Installing iDeneb 1.3.3 on a Toshiba Satellite A205-S5804

puppy6789

8 posts in this topic

Well, here I am to write another tutorial about getting Hack-shiba up and running for very little cash. This is a retail model laptop that I’d purchased solely for the purpose for testing the OS X installation. The only things extra that have been purchased were the extended life battery (about $120.00) and two 1gb chips to max the unit out at 2 gb (get those on sale for about $50.00). The laptop itself cost about $600.00 (WITH TAX), so this can be done for about $780.00 for a dual-core laptop with 120 gb hard drive. And, even better yet, you can have your own Mac!!

Before I get started, I want to extend thanks to EVERYONE here who contributes to this project and is willing to take the time to develop everything that is needed to keep all this running. If it weren’t for all the contributors here, I (and I’m certain MANY more people) wouldn’t have ever been able to get this to work or even have the courage to attempt something like this. So, I’ll get on my soap box again and beg all of you who read this to PLEASE CONTRIBUTE to this board in some form or fashion. If you’ve even found one piece of advice here that made your life easier, the return to favor to all the other people out there who came here looking for help.

So, let’s get this one started. Originally, this laptop was brought to life with a Kalaway 10.5.1 install that was upgraded to 10.5.2, It was recently reformatted (I needed it for a Windoze Server temporarily), so I took this opportunity to bring it up to a more current release. After working with several of the new 10.5.4/10.5.5 releases, I settled on the iDeneb 1.3.3 release, which is a 10.5.5 revision. And let me say here that the guys that put that release together have done a REALLY good job; the installation is very inclusive.

Before we begin, we of course need a specific hardware list and part list of things you’ll need to get all this done:

-your trusty iDeneb 1.3.3 DVD

-the recovery media for the laptop (just in case you throw in the towel)

-wired LAN — Marvell Yukon 88E8039 PCI-E

-wireless LAN — Realtek RTL8187B 802.11 b/g USB 2.0 card (internal of course)

-track pad — Synaptics PS/2 touchpad

-video — Mobile Intel 965 Express chipset

-modem: Toshiba software modem (Agree drives) (and I have NO friggin’ idea how to fix that one yet)

-the files I’m attaching to this message (everything’s in ONE zip file... Put it on a CD or a flash drive)

Get your CD in there and boot from it (just use the F12 option to temporarily change the boot over to the CD/DVD drive), hit F8 to access the boot options, and then boot with a –v option. After awhile, you’ll get to the GUI, click on the arrow button to start the installer, and then go to the “Disk Utility” applet from the “Utilities” menu. When that starts, you’ll need to erase the entire drive (just destroy any partitions that are pre-existing), and then you’ll want to create a new Mac (Journaled) partition with a simple name (NO SPACES); you also want to make sure that you choose “GUID” from the Options section. Once all that’s done and the disk is re-mounted, you can just close the Disk Utility and return to the installation.

Then, you’ll click on “Continue” and “Agree” for all the license terms, click on the one hard drive when it asks you where you’d like to install everything, "Continue" again, and then on to the final screen. DON'T install yet... you have to go to the customize section in order to get the additional modules. Now, I'll echo what's been repeated here over and over again about choosing modules.... MOST INSTALLATIONS FAIL BECAUSE THERE ARE TOO MANY MODULES ADDED THAT DO NOT MATCH YOUR HARDWARE!!!! Let's face it, you aren't installing this software on an Apple hardware platform, so you can't expect everything to work right out of the box (if that's what you want, stop reading NOW and go buy yourself a Mac!). For this particular installation, you are only going to select the following:

- X11 (just because there are some other apps you may want to run that require these binaries to be in place)

- under "Patches" and "Audio" -- only select AppleAzaliaAudio and AC97Audio

- under "Patches" and "Fix" -- only select FireWire Remove and PowerManagement (although that doesn't work, but you still need it)

- under "Patches" and "Video" -- only select the Intel GMA950

- all Applications

Once all that's selected, click on "Done" and then "Install". Just sit back and relax, but don't run too far away.

When the install is completed, the laptop will reboot, and the you have to hit any key at the boot-loader prompt; there's a few little things to fix before you get running. At the prompt, you'll want to type "-v -s" for verbose single-user mode and then press enter. The system will start processing and eventually come to a "root" prompt. Once you're there, you'll type in the following: (no quotes)

- "/sbin/fsck -fy" (forces the check of the root drive)

- "/sbin/mount -uw /" (mounts the hard drive as read-write)

- "touch /var/db/.AppleSetupDone" (stops the infinite loop for the Apple setup script)

- "passwd" (command to set the root password)

- [enter your new root password twice]

- "exit"

After that's all done, and if all is right with the world, you should be presented with a GUI login, at which point you'll use "root" and your new password that you just set. Now, before people get all bent out of shape about using the root to log into the GUI, let me say that you should ONLY be using the root to log in this way to get your system up and running. By using the root in this manner, you can save yourself ALOT of extra steps during the setup (for instance, you don't have to worry about all the chown commands when replacing system files). HOWEVER, when you're done setting up everything, you really just need to set up a user account with admin rights to use on a day-to-day basis. After all, if you're going to run your new Mac as root, you may as well just be using Windoze 98 and let yourself be blasted away by every crappy hacker script out there that's designed to blow up your Mac! :P

So, now your logged in, you've got a GUI, your video is working just fine (no fixes needed there), but you've still got some work to do. First off, we need to get your CD/DVD drive working, and this one's pretty easy. You'll need the "IOATAFamily.kext" from the packaged zip files. Get it over to your new desktop (that USB flash drive is really handy at this point, since you don't have networking either at this point), unzip it so you have just the "IOATAFamily.kext" on your desktop. Now, open your hard drive (there's an icon on the desktop), and you'll need to go into "System", "Library", and then "Extensions"; from there, find the file with the same name (IOATAFamily.kext). You can just highlight the file and then hit Enter, which allows you to rename the file; I just suggest renaming it to "IOATAFamily-kext.old"; then simply drag the replacement file from your desktop into the folder. If all goes well (and if you still have a CD/DVD in the drive) you'll actually see it appear (almost magically!) on your desktop. This means that you've now got your optical drive up and running! You may have to reboot, but most times I've tried it (at least running as root), it works immediately.

The next step is getting your wired ethernet running. Again, refer to your packaged files for the file needed here, which in this case will be "AppleYukon2.kext"; go ahead and copy that over to the desktop, and then right-click on it and select "Show Package Contents". Go in the "Contents" folder, and then open "Info.plist" in TextEdit. Once you're in the file, you're looking for several sections (closer to the bottom of the file) that are titled 8053, 8055, 8061, and 8062; under each of these sections, there is a line that reads "<key>IOPCIPrimaryMatch</key>", and underneath that line, there is a string which represents the specific device ID for each specified device. For each of those instances, you're going to change the line so that it reads “<string>0x435311ab</string>”. After you're done with all the editing, save the file and close TextEdit. Now, open your hard drive, go to "System", "Library", and "Extensions"; find the "IONetworkingFamily.kext", right-click and show package contents. Then, browse to "Contents" and then "Plugins"; copy over your new "AppleYukon2.kext" file into that directory. Get a terminal open and execute the following commands:

- cd /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/Plugins

- rm /System/Library/Extensions.mkext

- kextcache -k /System/Library/Extensions

- kextload AppleYukon2.kext

In theory, you should get a promot at that point that your new network interface is available (it'll prompt your to open the network preferences and you can verify it there). However, sometimes you actually have to reboot to get the adapter to initialize properly. But, either way, you now have your wired ethernet adapter up and running!!

Next, let's get your wireless connection up and running. As with my first tutorial, this method seems a little screwed up, and if someone has a better way of getting it running, PLEASE post a response! But, for the time being, you'll need three files from your package here:

-87_Mac10.4_v1309.zip

-87B_Mac10.4_v1117.zip

-f5d9050v4mac.dmp

Get all three of these copied over to the desktop and just follow the instructions (no matter how stupid they may seem!):

- unpack 87_Mac10.4_v1309.zip

- in the unpacked files, run the setup script

- accept all the defaults, and reboot when prompted

- after reboot, run the uninstaller script

- unpack 87BMac10.4_v1117.zip

- in those unpacked files, run the setup script

- accept all the defaults, and reboot when prompted

- after the reboot, browse to your hard drive in the following path "\System\Library\Extensions\RTL8187B.kext\Contents\"

- open the "Info.plist" file in TextEdit, and find the value of "33161" and change it to "33175"; save and close the file

- mount the "f5d9050v4mac.dmg" image, run the setup and reboot (you're almost done now!)

- upon reboot, magically, the little crab will appear in the dock and you'll have a brand new interface

- click on the crab, and configure the settings for the Realtek wireless; add them to your profile so they'll start automatically

Like I said at the begging of this section, it's really an a**-backwards way of getting it up and running, but after trying MANY different methods, it seems to be the only one that works.

Now, if you want your battery meter on the menu bar (and, obviously, it isn't as of yet), you can read through some of the posts here on how to do it correctly, or (evil grin) you can cheat and use a little program called SlimBatteryMonitor (currently found at http://www.orange-carb.org/SBM/). If you download the application, just copy it over to the Applications folder, and then run it; it'll prompt you to add it to the automatic startup as well. You can configure it's options once it's running, and it's really a well-written application (so good that I included it in your package!). One note though... you have to re-run it for each user profile on the workstation in order for it to work, but that just takes running it one time as that particular user.

There is another way of getting the REAL battery meter up and running as well (again, thanks to the hard-working posters on here). Refer to your packaged files and find the "Power Management 10.5.3" package. Copy it over to your desktop, run it, reboot when prompted, and upon reboot (magically!) you have your real battery meter! This also appears to have to be done on a per-user-profile basis.

Now, I'm still trying to figure out why sleep isn't working on this model, but I've had no success as of yet. All that happens when you attempt to sleep is that the screen will blank out for a second or two, and then return to normal; there are no events recorded in any of the console logs, so I don't have any suggestions as to why it doesn't work correctly. However, in order to prevent your system from trying to sleep until this issue can be resolved, make sure you set your Power Saver preferences to never let the system attempt to sleep. You can fiddle around with the sleep mode settings from the terminal to see if you can get any better results as well, but nothing has seemed to work for me thus far:

- to determine your current sleep mode: pmset -g | grep hibernate

- a listing of what the different sleep modes actually are:

--- 0 - Legacy sleep mode. It will save everything to RAM upon sleeping but does not support “Safe Sleep”. Very fast sleep.

--- 1 - Legacy “Safe Sleep”. This is the “Safe Sleep”. Everything your laptop goes into sleep, it will save everything to harddisk. Slow on Sleep and Startup.

--- 3 - Default. As described above, when sleeping, contents are saved to RAM. When battery runs out, hibernate occurs.

--- 5 - Behaves as 1 but applicable only for modern Mac that uses “Secure virtual memory”.

--- 7 - Behaves as 3 but applicable only for modern Mac that uses “Secure virtual memory”.

- to change your sleep mode: "sudo pmset -a hibernatemode [number that you want]"

Alot of users, including myself, enjoy adjusting the screen brightness as well. Some laptops allow you to do this via hardware controls that work regardless of what OS you have installed, but this particular model does not seem to support that functionality. However, there is a little applet called Shades that really works pretty well (so well that I've included that as well!). It is available from Charcoal Design (http://www.charcoaldesign.co.uk/shades) and is totally free. I've used it on several Mac builds (both desktop and laptop) and it works ALMOST all the time (I have one desktop in particular that it just won't load on though). However, I've tested it for this particular install and it works really well. Two things to note though:

- again, it just be installed on a per-user basis

- make SURE you set the emergency restore key in case you lower the brightness too much!!

I'm also including a method of getting a USB-Serial adapter as well; anyone who's using this to access routers or similar devices will find this a very useful tool. Just follow the following instructions:

- plug in your adapter and find the product ID (go to the System Profiler and look in the USB section)

- go to http://osx-pl2303.sourceforge.net and find the device ID that matches your adapter

- download the .dmg file and install it (requires a reboot)

- make sure you pause the boot loader, plug in your adapter, and then boot with the -v option to watch for any problems

- after you log in, you should be notified of a new network connection (check in the network preferences section)

- just find a terminal emulator and you'll be up and running!! (just google around for one that's free!)

That's about it thus far. At this point, everything on your laptop should be working just fine, with the exception of the modem and sleep. Again, for the price your paying for this type of laptop, you really can't beat the price to have a fully functional MacBook. I hope that this tutorial is helpful to some people and that the advice and procedures here are insightful. Again, I welcome ANY comments or suggestions that might serve to make this better and more helpful in the future.

Enjoy, share and contribute!!!!!

p.s. -- the file is too large to be uploaded here directly, so I've uploaded it to Rapidshare....

http://rapidshare.com/files/172774071/Tobhiba.zip

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

First, congratulations for the tutorial.

But I had some problems.

I the wireless step, when you sad to "mount the "f5d9050v4mac.dmg" image, run the setup and reboot (you're almost done now!)", when I mount this file there's 2 files, one 10.3 and one 10.4. I have to install both?

Well, I installed both, but when I opened the "crab" it won't work (Application Not Responding).

What I've done wrong?

Thank you.

Cheers for that detailed tutorial there, very helpful :D

I'm having the same problem as above with the realtek application not responding... Although I'm gonna go through it all again...

Would there be any different options with the 10.5.6 release? I only pick the 8187B option at install, but I didn't pick X11 so maybe that's the problem. The USB also crashes some times with the WLan USB adaptor saying it's generating too much power or something?

PS2 ain't working properly either but I'm gonna take a shortcut and use USB. So any thought with the idle non-respondant crab? He looks too small to kick up the arse -_-

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

I burned iDeneb v1.4 (mac os x 10.5.6) on a disc and followed this tutorial, the installation went really smooth. But now I want to restart: I press F8 and type "-v -s" (without ") Some quick text appears on my screen and then the laptop restarts, this also happens if I only type -v or only type -s and also if I type nothing at all (but then I see the apple logo instead of text)

Luckily I decided to install it next to my Vista installation, I already had two partitions, so I just erased the data on my data partition and changed it to Mac OS X (Journaled). I hope this is not the problem, since it's not my laptop and the owner (my father) wanted me to keep Vista on it..

I hope anybody can help me

Sorry for my english

• 11 months later...