Retail Installation Guide via Boot-132 for AMD

hecker

85 posts in this topic

Hi hecker thank you for the guide,

I am running EVGA 790i ftw motherboard with iDeneb v1.4 running and I have been scrambling to get a working boot 132 disc. I have used your guide and used the original boot 132 cd and added the following kexts: applenforceata.kext, nvdarwin.kext, nforcelan.kext for marvell 88e1116 phy, and the alc88 kexts - applehda.kext and alcinject.kext.

I got the retail cd to start booting and it get a message saying that a cpu panic has occured, and i should notify the voodoo kernel team of the error.

Today I plan to use a the nvinject 512 kext 0.2.1, and try the nforcelan.kext instead of the nvdarwin and nforcelan i originally used I would really appreciate any help to get a boot 132 cd working. Thank you again for a great guide it was a good eye opener and gave me hope that i could get a unmodified retail disk working on my system.

- syphon :)

Hi, and sorry for the delayed response.

I would suggest that you use only those files that you know will 100% work.

Did you have a running system before trying out the Boot-132 boot method?

Hi, thank you for replying. I did try the out the other files and a few variants the past couple of days and I keep getting a cpu panic. I have also been reading through Mysticus c's thread on OSX on 7 series nforce mobo's and what I am thinking is maybe my three main kexts nvdarwin, applenforceata, and nforcelan may need some modifying in the IOPCIClassmatchkey cause I have got an 8800GTS video card and the nvidia chipset on the motherboard so the drivers may need to be matched. But this is only a speculation at this point until I can test and check this for my self at home.

Although I was able to do a boot 132 install using your method with the following parameter though: rd(0,1)/mach_kernel.voodoo -v -x boot-uuid=my uuid here. It also worked with the -legacy but my chipset or motherboard aren't legacy parts so I thought I would try without those parameters. And I am assuming the success of the boot 132 method was largely to the -x safe mode parameter. So I am back to square one

I have also thought of reverting back to my iDeneb install. which was working out of the box but with no hope of getting updates. I use the -x or safe mode to get to the installer and once in I choose the voodoo kernel, applenforceata, nforcelan, nvdarwin alc888, seatbelt fix, applesmbios mac pro. upon reboot I do not have to use -x and I get all four cores working.

-syphon

Hi, thank you for replying. I did try the out the other files and a few variants the past couple of days and I keep getting a cpu panic. I have also been reading through Mysticus c's thread on OSX on 7 series nforce mobo's and what I am thinking is maybe my three main kexts nvdarwin, applenforceata, and nforcelan may need some modifying in the IOPCIClassmatchkey cause I have got an 8800GTS video card and the nvidia chipset on the motherboard so the drivers may need to be matched. But this is only a speculation at this point until I can test and check this for my self at home.

Although I was able to do a boot 132 install using your method with the following parameter though: rd(0,1)/mach_kernel.voodoo -v -x boot-uuid=my uuid here. It also worked with the -legacy but my chipset or motherboard aren't legacy parts so I thought I would try without those parameters. And I am assuming the success of the boot 132 method was largely to the -x safe mode parameter. So I am back to square one

I have also thought of reverting back to my iDeneb install. which was working out of the box but with no hope of getting updates. I use the -x or safe mode to get to the installer and once in I choose the voodoo kernel, applenforceata, nforcelan, nvdarwin alc888, seatbelt fix, applesmbios mac pro. upon reboot I do not have to use -x and I get all four cores working.

-syphon

You can update your iDeneb install up to 10.5.6 at present (hopefully 10.5.7 soon....)......see here........ :)

Although I was able to do a boot 132 install using your method with the following parameter though: rd(0,1)/mach_kernel.voodoo -v -x boot-uuid=my uuid here. It also worked with the -legacy but my chipset or motherboard aren't legacy parts so I thought I would try without those parameters. And I am assuming the success of the boot 132 method was largely to the -x safe mode parameter. So I am back to square one

-syphon

If you already had a running system, then you should have everything you need to get a 132 Boot CD working. Did you try leaving out the video files?

So with the -x or safe mode I am still using the kexts on the cd or is the cd just booting the minimum kexts needed for the os to install? I think all be trying this out without the video kexts. If this is true then I need to start looking for definitions on efi video strings and how to apply them. Thank you guys for your help. :D

- syphon

So with the -x or safe mode I am still using the kexts on the cd or is the cd just booting the minimum kexts needed for the os to install? I think all be trying this out without the video kexts. If this is true then I need to start looking for definitions on efi video strings and how to apply them. Thank you guys for your help. :rolleyes:

- syphon

Well yes. Safe mode only loads the very minimum, AFAIK. You should definitely try putting only the very minimum at first and add the rest later.

Good luck!

Thank you for the link. :D

But my ultimate goal would be to get a retail version of osx working with munky's efi boot partion method.

- syphon

If you have a Retail OS X 10.5.6 DVD, you are welcome to try (without any guarantee that it will work with only -v rather than -v -x or -v -f for you) my nForceBoot132.iso image, which I can successfully run with

rd(0,1)/mach_kernel.voodoo -v boot-uuid=10.5.6 Retail DVD uuid

to get into the Retail OS X 10.5.6 DVD installer.......

I have thus installed Retail OS X 10.5.6 on a 18GB USB HDD (HDD is unfortunately very slow as ATA66 and 4200rpm) partitioned/formatted as GPT/HFS+, with Chameleon 2.0 RC1 as the bootloader.....I am in the processing of testing out the Retail OS X 10.5.6 install.....

• 1 month later...

hi hecker,

when i boot from CD, after loading /initrd.img ............................

there is an error "System config file '/com.apple.boot.S/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist' not found ...i ignore it (as your guide)

then immediatly i push F8, but without effect ...

if I push Enter, i got:

"Enter two-digit hexadecimal boot device [ef]: ... what means "ef" ? is the address of my cdrom reader ?

then i insert the Leopard Retail DVD-DL, and after the lighting of cdrom, i press enter

then, i have "press any key to startup from CD-ROM, or press F8 to enter startup options" ...i press F8

I saw hd(111,1) Mac OS X Install DVD ... what means 111,1 ?

then i write : rd(0,1)/kernel.voodoo -v -legacy boot-uuid=the-id-of-my-mac-osx-install-dvd

after 2 second of animation cursor booting ..it returns to "press any key to startup from CD-ROM, or press F8 to enter startup options."

what's the problem ?

Hmmm, I did as you said, created the boot-132 cd, and then booted everything up nicely. I put the retail dvd in and wrote the whole

rd(0,1)/mach_kernel.voodoo -v -legacy boot-uuid=<balhblah uuid here>

and everytime, without fail, I get the Still waiting for root device message. (actually Once I had Ebios error 0x32) I tried the original disk and then copies of it, thinking it might be the disk, then eventually I dl-ed a copy and tried with that, to no avail.

I also tried

rd(0,1)/mach_kernel.voodoo -v -legacy rd=disk31s0

as the dvd comes up as hd(31,1) in darwin

So I'm gonna be the village idiot here and ask if the rd from the beggining of the string and the rd at the end in the second option are the same. I red in munky's guide that the forst rd stands for ram disk, and the second for root device, but won't darwin mix up the two?

Now as for the kexts, the only ones I put in were the ones for graphics and NForceATA, both of which work like a charm on my leo4all.

Therefore my question is, if it's not the kexts and not the install cd, what could be wrong?

I've been at this for quite some time researching and trying out different drive connections, but I'm out of ideas, so do you have any?

Humble and hopeful, yet firm. BUMP

I'm still stuck, I tried disconnecting all the drives foirm the modo and used an external dvd drive and hdd, but the leo dvd wasnt being found by darwin.

• 1 month later...

Has anyone got this to work with Chameleon. I have a Foxconn A7GM-S motherboard with an AMD 780G/SB700 chipset. I have voodoo kernel installed. Before I installed the voodoo kernel it was just crash right back to the bios and reboot. I am on it right now with my Boot-132 disk, but I am tired of typing in the UUID every time. Anybody know how to get Chameleon to work? If not I guess I will just follow the 5th step of this, but I really think chameleon would be sooooo much better. Thanks in advance.

Hey guys,

Got a question for you. So I can get iDeneb v1.3 (10.5.5) and v1.4 (10.5.6) to run OTB. Obviously I have to select my Chipset, Lan, Audio, GPU, and other kexts for my spesfic mobo, but it all runs great. I can install it on my internal SATA drives or on an external USB drive with no problems. The only issue that I have is that I can't update via the apple updater. Hence I want to do a retail install but I am having issues with following this guide. Let me explain:

I follow this guide to the letter but once I boot off of the retail disk that I bought (after I boot from the boo-132 disk), I get the all desparing "still waiting for root device" message after a little bit. It typically follows after this line appears a few times consecutively:

USBF: #.### AppleUSBOHCI[0x3bd1000]::CheckSleepCompatability - OHCI controller will be unloaded across sleep

So I did some research into the "still waiting for root device" issue, as I have never had it come up during my previous installs of iPC , iDeneb, etc. I found something that suggested that if I am running my SATAs in AHCI mode, that I need to run them in IDE mode instead to bypass the "still waiting for root device" issue. That seemed a little strange to me because why would it work just fine for my iDeneb install in AHCI mode yet not for the normal retail install. So I gave it a whirl. Well, I didn't get that "USBF: #.### AppleUSBOHCI[0x3bd1000]::CheckSleepCompatability - OHCI controller will be unloaded across sleep" message nor the "still waiting for root device" message, which I thought was a good sign. Eventually the screen went black yet the monitor stayed on, it didn't go to sleep, so that tells me that some kind of a signal was being sent to the monitor, just not something that I can see.

So I have tried several different combinations of kexts to make my boot-132 image and I have tried them in both AHCI and IDE mode to no avail. I make the boot-132 images through my iDeneb install on my external USB HDD, which runs just fine. I know what kexts work in iDeneb for my mobo (chipset, lan, audio, gpu, etc.) and I know that I need the voodoo kernel with the corresponding system.kext but I cant get it to work for some reason. I leave the default kexts that come on the boot-132 iso there and I only add the kexts that are needed for my mobo and the voodoo kernel. Any ideas would be very helpful. I am curious as to what kexts iDeneb installs/boots-up with to get around the "still waiting for root device" issue as I have never had it come up before during my previous installs of iDeneb.

Any takers? Thanks a ton!!! :)

My specs are as follows:

CPU: AMD Phenom 9950 ocl'd 3.0Ghz

Mobo: ASUS AM2+ M3A79t-Deluxe

Chipset: 790FX/750SB

LAN: Marvell 88E8056 Gigabit

Audio: ADI AD2000B

GPU: ATI HD3870

HDD: 1 x 250GB SATA Internal

2 x 500GB SATA Internal

1 x 250GB USB External

1 x 1TB USB/Firewire/eSATA External

ODD: 1 x DVD

RAM: 4Gigs DDR2 1066

When I try to install via boot-132/retail, I only have my DVD drive and my blank 500GB connected, no other drives at all.

Sounds like you might not be typing in the right UUID. Triple check, you might have written it down wrong or something.

I thought that might be the case too but I booted back into my iDeneb from my external USB HDD, checked and triple checked the UUID and I have it right. Any other ideas? What kexts are the most basic/needed to get an AMD system started? I just have a feeling that I am forgetting a kext that iDeneb uses on boot-up yet I don't know which one it would be. Any thoughts? :-)

I would assume sata chipset. The 780G/SB700 Chipset seemed to do the trick for me, but I don't know about your 790FX. I am the somewhat a noob when it comes to this. This is only the second hackintosh I have got working, and I still can't get my EFI right on this, my Intel Atom desktop was a breeze. I wish I wasn't the only person replying hahaha. Good luck.

I would assume sata chipset. The 780G/SB700 Chipset seemed to do the trick for me, but I don't know about your 790FX. I am the somewhat a noob when it comes to this. This is only the second hackintosh I have got working, and I still can't get my EFI right on this, my Intel Atom desktop was a breeze. I wish I wasn't the only person replying hahaha. Good luck.

Well at least someone is replying, hehehehe. :P . Well, on the iDeneb disk, there is an ATI chipset kext that is for SB400-700, and it has always worked just fine for me during the iDeneb install. Maybe I will try to do it with just the bare minimums. I finally got a few cd-rw discs, so no more cd-r discs being wasted!!

Thanks for you input in this. :-)

I'm assuming I fixed my own problem, I don't know for sure. I think the reason why Chameleon wasn't working was because I didn't have my kexts in the efi partition. I am using the efi loader that was used in the tutorial, but I think I figured it out.

Ok, so I finally got it to work!!! I now have a retail install, with voodoo, but I am having an issue now with my LAN and Audio. They work just fine in my iDeneb install but the same kexts don't seem to work in my retail install via the boot-132 disc. Any ideas?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys, this post seems really interesting, and I'm planning to try it myself with a PC I'm buying over the weekend. I was wondering if anyone might help me out a bit! My question is the following: If I use an installation like IDeneb, it will recognize or install most of the drivers/kext files automatically if I select them from the installation menu, right? So can't I in principle boot my system from there and then check which kexts are being used with kextstat and build a boot-132 disc from those? I can think of tons of reasons why this might not work, but I'm really not sure about any of them!! I'm favoring boot-132 for the updates basically.

Thanks a lot for this topic, it really helped me out!!

• 1 month later...

OK GUYS

i did everything but i can't boot my cd

maybe i didn't add enough kexts

i add:

AppleATIATA.kext

seatbelt.kext

well actually i don't know myself what kext is needed for my mobo

does anyone has same spec as mine???

My spec:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 3600+

ATI Chipset SB600