Retail Installation Guide via Boot-132 for AMD

hecker

85 posts in this topic

I get lots of errors when I boot from the EFI loader but they also appear when I use the boot-132 cd.

I have attached an image of the text on the screen when the system freezes.

I use Mac OS X 10.5.6 and it is installed on my second IDE hard drive.

post-340452-1238590882_thumb.jpg

I get lots of errors when I boot from the EFI loader but they also appear when I use the boot-132 cd.

I have attached an image of the text on the screen when the system freezes.

I use Mac OS X 10.5.6 and it is installed on my second IDE hard drive.

Hmm, hard for me to tell. You may want to try disconnecting any peripheral devices that may be causing problems (like extra HDDs and PCI cards). I know it's a pain in the rear, but it's the cleanest way to debug this problem, IMO.

You can also try removing all of the video related files from your EFI partition.

Does your system work properly when you boot using the Boot-132 CD?

EDIT: Is ACPI enabled in your BIOS?

Hmm, hard for me to tell. You may want to try disconnecting any peripheral devices that may be causing problems (like extra HDDs and PCI cards). I know it's a pain in the rear, but it's the cleanest way to debug this problem, IMO.

You can also try removing all of the video related files from your EFI partition.

Does your system work properly when you boot using the Boot-132 CD?

EDIT: Is ACPI enabled in your BIOS?

Yes, my system works perfectly when I use the Boot-132 cd. The GUI shows up and all my devices work, even my audio card.

ACPI is enabled in my BIOS. I have disabled it, but afterwards I get kernel panics in both boot-132 and the efi loader.

I think I will try disconnecting all devices and removing the additional kexts.

Yes, my system works perfectly when I use the Boot-132 cd. The GUI shows up and all my devices work, even my audio card.

ACPI is enabled in my BIOS. I have disabled it, but afterwards I get kernel panics in both boot-132 and the efi loader.

I think I will try disconnecting all devices and removing the additional kexts.

If you can boot perfectly from your Boot-132 CD, then you must have not configured your EFI partition correctly! Or maybe the kext files cannot load correctly because of a misconfiguration. Did you edit the Info.plist of your kext files?

Please make sure you follow munky's instructions for creating and configuring the EFI partition to the point.

If you can boot perfectly from your Boot-132 CD, then you must have not configured your EFI partition correctly! Or maybe the kext files cannot load correctly because of a misconfiguration. Did you edit the Info.plist of your kext files?

Please make sure you follow munky's instructions for creating and configuring the EFI partition to the point.

I discovered that I indeed forgot to edit the Info.plist so I did that, deleted all the .kexts on the EFI partition and put the new ones inside. Then I ran ./update.sh. But the system does still not boot up the GUI.

Then I removed all the .kext files except for System.kext, disconnected all the USB devices (not the keyboard, of course) and also my LAN cable and booted. Now it couldn't find my hard drive. I tried again to make sure I haven't misspelled the UUID, but it still couldn't find the boot partition.

Then I booted with the Boot-132 cd again and added the AppleNForceATA.kext and ran ./update.sh. During the next boot, it found my hard drive but still did not boot up the GUI.

Then I added the NVinject.kext which is my graphics driver. Still no luck.

These two .kexts, the AppleNForceATA and NVinject are also the only ones I have on my boot-132 cd. The system boots up perfectly with the cd.

Thank you for your help so far, hecker. I think this is really a very deep problem.

I discovered that I indeed forgot to edit the Info.plist so I did that, deleted all the .kexts on the EFI partition and put the new ones inside. Then I ran ./update.sh. But the system does still not boot up the GUI.

Then I removed all the .kext files except for System.kext, disconnected all the USB devices (not the keyboard, of course) and also my LAN cable and booted. Now it couldn't find my hard drive. I tried again to make sure I haven't misspelled the UUID, but it still couldn't find the boot partition.

Then I booted with the Boot-132 cd again and added the AppleNForceATA.kext and ran ./update.sh. During the next boot, it found my hard drive but still did not boot up the GUI.

Then I added the NVinject.kext which is my graphics driver. Still no luck.

These two .kexts, the AppleNForceATA and NVinject are also the only ones I have on my boot-132 cd. The system boots up perfectly with the cd.

Thank you for your help so far, hecker. I think this is really a very deep problem.

Hey, if the system boots fine with the CD, then there is a good chance you'll get everything working right!

Maybe you could try using the EFI-String method for your video card.

This is far fetched, but you could also try connecting your monitor to a different video port (if you have more than one).

Hey, if the system boots fine with the CD, then there is a good chance you'll get everything working right!

Maybe you could try using the EFI-String method for your video card.

This is far fetched, but you could also try connecting your monitor to a different video port (if you have more than one).

I have switched to the Chameleon 2.0 loader now (RC1) which didn't make a difference (except for the nice boot interface). The system stops at exactly the same point. (I installed the chameleon bootloader using the automatic installer package so I don't think I did something wrong.)

I have also added an EFI string for my video card (discribed in http://forum.netkas.org/index.php?topic=222.0 ). Still no luck.

And I have tried using my VGA port instead of DVI. Didn't do anything either.

I think I will contact the chameleon team. Maybe there's a bug in the bootloader.

I have switched to the Chameleon 2.0 loader now (RC1) which didn't make a difference (except for the nice boot interface). The system stops at exactly the same point. (I installed the chameleon bootloader using the automatic installer package so I don't think I did something wrong.)

I have also added an EFI string for my video card (discribed in http://forum.netkas.org/index.php?topic=222.0 ). Still no luck.

And I have tried using my VGA port instead of DVI. Didn't do anything either.

I think I will contact the chameleon team. Maybe there's a bug in the bootloader.

I have noticed that some kext files simply do not work when they are not in the OS's "real" extensions directory. You could try moving all of the kext files from your EFI into your systems extensions directory and then move them back one by one until you find the culprit (in my case it was the audio file). Make sure to make a backup of all of your system files beforehand). Also, the kext files need to be in their original state, so you'll need two sets of files: original and edited for EFI use.

Good luck!

Hi,

Im trying to boot up the Boot132 disk, but i get the error 'Still waiting for root device'. I boot the disk up, then press esc, put the leopard disk in and wait for the light to go off on my CD drive and press enter. Then i press F8, and enter rd(0,1)/mach_kernel.voodoo -v -legacy boot-uuid=(my leopard disks UUID).

Im using a IDE HDD and a IDE DVD drive, on a nforce 4 motherboard, with a AMD Athlon X2 dual code 6000+ processor.

Ive got kexts:

ACPIPS2Nub.kext

AppleNForceATA.kext

ApplePS2Controller.kext

AppleVIAATA.kext

dsmos.kext

IntelCPUPMDisabler.kext

IOATAFamily.kext

nForceLAN.kext

SMBIOSEnabler.kext

System.kext

Is there any way to fix this error? or any other kexts i need?

Hi,

Im trying to boot up the Boot132 disk, but i get the error 'Still waiting for root device'. I boot the disk up, then press esc, put the leopard disk in and wait for the light to go off on my CD drive and press enter. Then i press F8, and enter rd(0,1)/mach_kernel.voodoo -v -legacy boot-uuid=(my leopard disks UUID).

Im using a IDE HDD and a IDE DVD drive, on a nforce 4 motherboard, with a AMD Athlon X2 dual code 6000+ processor.

Ive got kexts:

ACPIPS2Nub.kext

AppleNForceATA.kext

ApplePS2Controller.kext

AppleVIAATA.kext

dsmos.kext

IntelCPUPMDisabler.kext

IOATAFamily.kext

nForceLAN.kext

SMBIOSEnabler.kext

System.kext

Is there any way to fix this error? or any other kexts i need?

Sorry, but I recently found out that this method does not work with nforce based chipsets. I will try to find more information and get back to you.

Sorry, but I recently found out that this method does not work with nforce based chipsets. I will try to find more information and get back to you.

I have an nForce based chipset and booting the cd works fine with the AppleNForceATA.kext.

I have an nForce based chipset and booting the cd works fine with the AppleNForceATA.kext.
Hmm, that's interesting. Is it an NForce4 chipset? If it is, I could create an ISO file for those who may need it.

Hmm, that's interesting. Is it an NForce4 chipset? If it is, I could create an ISO file for those who may need it.

ASUS M2N32-SLI Deluxe with Nvidia Nforce 590 SLI chipset and could boot with AppleNForceATA.kext. "note not NForce4"

hecker, I need help: you said on the first post about the moded ISO, but on the post where all the links are posted, the Moded one, in mediafire.com, says that it has been forwarded to the mediafire team

can I still use the other one?

hecker, I need help: you said on the first post about the moded ISO, but on the post where all the links are posted, the Moded one, in mediafire.com, says that it has been forwarded to the mediafire team

can I still use the other one?

If you still have to modify it to work on an AMD system, then it doesn't really matter which one you choose. I may still have a copy of the other ISO around here somewhere if you're interested.

Cheers,

hecker

If you still have to modify it to work on an AMD system, then it doesn't really matter which one you choose. I may still have a copy of the other ISO around here somewhere if you're interested.

Cheers,

hecker

I'm just a little confused with your guide

I want to install Retail Leopard on my PC. But your guide shows up that I need a Mac for it. How the hell am I gonna get Leopard if I need it to install? ;)

I'm just a little confused with your guide

I want to install Retail Leopard on my PC. But your guide shows up that I need a Mac for it. How the hell am I gonna get Leopard if I need it to install? ;)

Yes, this is something that I have been asked more than once. The problem is, that we can't create the ISO file on any other OS than OS X (I have been unable to find a way to do it on Windows or Linux yet).

The only practical solution is to download one of the pre-patched distros, install and create the ISO from there. This should be possible because you don't need any graphic accelerators, network, sound or any other peripherical funcionality other than your keyboard and mouse.

There is, I believe, also a live version of OS X around which could be used.

This tutorial was intended to be used by those who already have a non-retail OS X system running and wish to use the EFI boot for it's many advantages (like updating and keeping the main system untouched).

Cheers,

-hecker

Thanks for the very informative guide - I've made some progress but after I swap the CD with the retail DVD it hangs on the white screen with grey apple logo. If I boot in verbose (-v) it loads my kexts and sits at a black screen, my monitor stays on though.

UPDATE: I think my issue is that I didn't do the following...

rd(0,1)/mach_kernel.voodoo -v -legacy boot-uuid=YOUR_INSTALL_DVD_UUID_HERE

Could this be? I'm going to go home on lunch to try that.

Thanks for the very informative guide - I've made some progress but after I swap the CD with the retail DVD it hangs on the white screen with grey apple logo. If I boot in verbose (-v) it loads my kexts and sits at a black screen, my monitor stays on though.

UPDATE: I think my issue is that I didn't do the following...

rd(0,1)/mach_kernel.voodoo -v -legacy boot-uuid=YOUR_INSTALL_DVD_UUID_HERE

Could this be? I'm going to go home on lunch to try that.

Yes. You must enter the boot-uuid parameter or it won't work!

Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

hey hecker, nice guide man.

im confused tho.... i was under the impression that dfe's boot-132 wouldn't work on an AMD cos it calls an MSR not present in AMDs. did someone create a patched version? i always meant to get round to doing so myself (the chameleon source contains an AMD-compatible equivalent of the call in dfe's code).

cheers :wacko:

hey hecker, nice guide man.

im confused tho.... i was under the impression that dfe's boot-132 wouldn't work on an AMD cos it calls an MSR not present in AMDs. did someone create a patched version? i always meant to get round to doing so myself (the chameleon source contains an AMD-compatible equivalent of the call in dfe's code).

cheers :)

Thanks. And yes, it definitely works!

I still haven't really found out exactly what the problem with AMD is. Some say the issue lays within the image creation process (when doing it from scratch via slimbuild's tool or the others) and not in the boot loader itself. The fact that it works when you take a pre-existing image file and modify it by adding an AMD compatible kernel (ie voodoo) and kexts, seems to prove this hypothesis.

I've had my system running for more than 6 months now and it's just great.

Cheers,

hecker

Hi hecker thank you for the guide,

I am running EVGA 790i ftw motherboard with iDeneb v1.4 running and I have been scrambling to get a working boot 132 disc. I have used your guide and used the original boot 132 cd and added the following kexts: applenforceata.kext, nvdarwin.kext, nforcelan.kext for marvell 88e1116 phy, and the alc88 kexts - applehda.kext and alcinject.kext.

I got the retail cd to start booting and it get a message saying that a cpu panic has occured, and i should notify the voodoo kernel team of the error.

Today I plan to use a the nvinject 512 kext 0.2.1, and try the nforcelan.kext instead of the nvdarwin and nforcelan i originally used I would really appreciate any help to get a boot 132 cd working. Thank you again for a great guide it was a good eye opener and gave me hope that i could get a unmodified retail disk working on my system.

- syphon  ^_^

hey,

cool - thanks for the lowdown :)

- munky

Thanks. And yes, it definitely works!

I still haven't really found out exactly what the problem with AMD is. Some say the issue lays within the image creation process (when doing it from scratch via slimbuild's tool or the others) and not in the boot loader itself. The fact that it works when you take a pre-existing image file and modify it by adding an AMD compatible kernel (ie voodoo) and kexts, seems to prove this hypothesis.

I've had my system running for more than 6 months now and it's just great.

Cheers,

hecker