Retail Installation Guide via Boot-132 for AMD

hecker

85 posts in this topic

Introduction

This is a short step-by-step guide on installing the Apple OS X operating system on a regular PC with AMD CPU.

Even though the core of this installation process is explained with detail in munky's installation thread, many people seem to have difficulties creating and booting from their custom boot CD. This text will try to close this gap by including detailed descriptions of both the booting process and creation of the Boot-132 CD for AMD based PCs.

This guide is not a general introduction to the OSx86 project and therefor does not include any further detailed information or descriptions of technical terms and lingo.

Please visit http://wiki.osx86project.org/ and http://www.insanelymac.com if you want to learn more.

Prerequisites

1.- Readers are required to research the web (primarily the insanelymac forum) to find out which of their hardware components are compatible and which aren't.

Knowing which files you'll need in order to fix/enable your hardware's functionality is a must. I recommend gathering and storing any files, applications or fixes you may consider important in advance.

2.- If you have successfully installed one of the many OSx86 "releases", then I recommend keeping a full copy of it on a different drive. Chances are, you already have all the system files you need for your retail installation.

3.- Read munky's excellent retail installation guide for a detailed description of the process and it's huge advantages compared to pre-patched versions. LINK to Munky's Guide.

4.- Good common sense and patience!

5.- Access to a working OS X system if you need to create the ISO file. (Guide for windows pending).

Recommended Knowledge

The following skills are recommended:

- Basic PC hardware knowledge. i.e. knowing how to configure the BIOS, setting up and configuring your storage drives, etc.

- Basic unix shell (terminal) commands.

This guide was written with the intention of offering users a clear step-by-step explanation of the boot CD creation, the booting process as well as to lay down a proven method of installation for AMD based PCs following munky's tutorial.

I have tried to make the text as clear as possible but I'm sure many of you will still run into problems. If something does not work for you, then please go back and make sure you have followed the instructions to the point. Unix commands are case-sensitive, so misspelling a terminal command will lead to errors.

Please remember: this is not a MS Windows installation and there is no guarantee that it will work!

I encourage you to read as much as you can and to experiment instead of immediately posting a typical "My hardware is ABC, please tell me how to install OS X on it".

Further References:

The (modified) Boot-132 to boot retail DVDs.

Warning: Fiddling around a computer can be hazardous. Ask a knowledgeable friend for help if you need to open your PC case.

I will not take responsibility for any harm done to you or your hardware or anything else in this process.

Acknowledgments

This text is based on the hard work and discoveries of members of the OSx86 community. I wish to express my gratitute to all of you for making this dream come true! I will refrain from mentioning any names (except for munky's for obvious reasons) here to avoid leaving anybody out.

You are all important in my book!

Procedure Outline

What we will basically do here is put together a Boot-132 CD for AMD which will enable you to install OS X from a retail DVD. Once the OS X installation is done, we will use the EFI partition of the target drive as a boot device as described in munky's tutorial.

Part One - Gathering the pieces of the puzzle (or making your own HCL)

The number one reason for writing the first post in our insanelymac.com forum is not having a clue of how compatible your hardware is with the OS X operating system. It is not always easy to find information (especially if you're using uncommon hardware) but chances are that there's something at least similar to your hardware that you can use as a reference.

Get a sheet of paper and write down:

- the list of your hardware specifications: mainboard model, onboard chips, video card, ethernet lan card (NIC), wifi card, etc.

- if your devices work "out-of-the-box" (otb) or if you need to modify system files or install additional files to get them to work. (search the web)

I suggest you prepare a directory where you will put all of the files you need classified by type.

Download all of the files required to get your hardware working. If you are already running some version of OS X, then make sure you keep a copy of it somewhere for later. Chances are, you might need some kext file from your Extensions folder.

Tip: I recommend using the forum's integrated search function and/or using Google with the "site:" parameter, to restrict the search to a specific website. For example:

site:insanelymac.com nvidia 7800GS

Part Two - Creating a Boot-132 CD for AMD

Creating a Boot-132 CD for AMD requires you to download a pre-existing ISO file and editing it to fit your needs. There are applications/scripts that create these ISO files from scratch but they will fail to boot on AMD machines (I believe a fix is in the works).

- Download and extract the attached ISO file "orig_boot-132.iso.zip".

- Double click the ISO file to mount it (a new device named BOOT-DFE-146-BUM will appear).

- Open a terminal window and log in as superuser. We will use this window to enter the following commands.

sudo su

- Create a folder named "ISO" on your Desktop and copy all of the contents of the iso (BOOT-DFE-146-BUM) file into it.

Replace "your_user" with your username of course.

cp -R /Volumes/BOOT-DFE-146-BUM/  /Users/your_user/Desktop/ISO/

- Unmount the BOOT-DFE-146-BUM device from the Finder (click the little arrow).

- Download the voodoo kernel and copy the mach_kernel.voodoo and System.kext (included in the voodoo package) files onto your Desktop. Link to voodoo kernel site.

- Create a folder named "Extensions" on your Desktop and copy the kext files you need (or think you need) into it.

I recommend putting only those kext files you absolutely need to get your system working at this point. Simply copying your whole /System/Library/Extensions/ contents will probably not work.

- Your kext files need this in the Info.plist file:

<key>OSBundleRequired</key>
	   <string>Root</string>

You can edit that file by right-clicking a kext file and selecting the "show package contents" menu. Then browse into "Contents" and right-click the Info.plist file and select the "Open With" menu to open it with the Textedit application. Scroll all the way down and see if the OSBundleRequired key is in there. If it is, then change whatever parameter is in between the "string" tags so that it says "Root" (see above code). If the key is missing, then simply add it before the last lines:

</dict>
  </plist>

Close and save the file (make sure the file is in plain text mode!).

- Make the target "initrd.img" file writable by entering:

chmod 777 /Users/your_user/Desktop/ISO/initrd.img

(Optional)

Before making changes to the initrd file, see if you have enough space in it to fit your extension kexts and voodoo kernel.

If not, you can enlarge it by entering the following command (this example uses 100MB, but you can up it to what you need). Keep in mind, that the larger your initrd.img file is, the longer the CD will take to boot! So try to keep it small.

hdiutil resize -size 100MB /Users/your_user/Desktop/ISO/initrd.img

- Mount the initrd.img (from your ISO folder) by double clicking it (a new device named "initrd" will appear in the Finder).

- Copy the voodoo kernel file into the root of "initrd"

cp /Users/your_user/Desktop/mach_kernel.voodoo /Volumes/initrd/

- Copy the 10.5.5 System.kext file into the Extensions folder of "initrd"

cp -R /Users/your_user/Desktop/System.kext /Volumes/initrd/Extra/Extensions/

- Copy the contents of the "Extensions" folder (on your Desktop) into "initrd":

cp -R /Users/your_user/Desktop/Extensions/  /Volumes/initrd/Extra/Extensions/

-Unmount the "initrd" image by pressing the little arrow in the Finder.

- Create your new Boot-132 ISO file. This step will create a new file called "NEW.iso" on your Desktop.

hdiutil makehybrid -o /Users/your_user/Desktop/NEW  /Users/your_user/Desktop/ISO/ -iso -eltorito-boot /Users/your_user/Desktop/ISO/isolinux.bin -no-emul-boot

- Burn the NEW.iso file to a CD. I recommend using CD-RWs for experimenting.

- Find and write down your retail disk's UUID. Insert the retail OS X DVD and open the Disk Utility app. Right click the cd on the left side of the panel and select "Information".

Write down the UUID number on your paper sheet (you might need to resize the window in order to see the very long number).

For Windows Users: I still haven't researched this for windows but I promise to do it sometime today.

Part Three - Booting the Boot-132 CD

- Insert the Boot-132 CD in your drive and boot your computer from it. It will display some text and a bunch of "progress dots". At some point you will probably get a message that a "com.apple.Boot.plist" was not found. Ignore it.

- Press F8 and then the ESC key. You will be presented with the boot device selection menu.

- Swap your CD for the retail install DVD and wait until the lamp on your DVD-Rom goes off. Then press ENTER. (Your Retail Disk should show up as the booting device now)

- Enter these parameters at the darwin prompt:

rd(0,1)/mach_kernel.voodoo -v -legacy boot-uuid=YOUR_INSTALL_DVD_UUID_HERE

At this point your retail dvd should begin to load and start the installation process. If you get any errors like "still waiting for root device", etc. then you probably need other/additional kext files on your Boot-132 CD or you did not enter the UUID code correctly.

Part Four - Installing OS X

- Once the installation is in progress and you have selected your language, open Disk Utility and partition your target drive using the GUID option.

- Once the partitioning is over, right click the newly created partition for OS X and select "Information" from the pop-up menu to get the UUID. Write down the UUID on a sheet of paper.

- Begin installing OS X on your drive and reboot with your Boot-132 inserted after it's done.

- Press F8 and ESC and this time select your target partition as a boot device (Usually 80 if it is the first drive). If you did not get your boot device right (you should see the name of the partition in the list), then just press ESC again and retry with a higher number.

- Enter this at the darwin prompt:

rd(0,1)/mach_kernel.voodoo -v -legacy boot-uuid=YOUR_LEOPARD_PARTITION_UUID_HERE

- Your system should load OS X now.

Part Five - Installing the EFI Bootloader

Follow munky's instructions to find out how to configure the EFI bootloader. LINK to Munky's Guide.

Good luck!

- hecker

NOTES:

- This is only a first draft and may contain some errors. Please let me know if you find any.

- I will be uploading my custom ISO file for AMD here soon.

- Please DO NO include this text in your replies.

- I will be translating this into german and spanish soon (PDF).

- I will add post-installation details.

orig_boot_132.iso.zip

• Like 1

Yes this is very much appreciated hecker, nice one. I'm looking forward to trying this out on my AMD box when I get time this week. Will let you know how I get on. Thanks again, hopefully this should help a few other AMD users try out the latest hackintosh experience with the new Voodoo kernel :)

Hi

Great guide hecker :)

I will try it later this week.

Quick question:

I use nforce 4 based amd machine

Do i need anymore kext's other than:

AppleNforceATA(TEST)&kexts for my video/lan/sound device?

Thanks and keep up the good work

I suggest that you use the generic.iso as a basis for your Boot-132 CD. It already containes the AppleNForceATA file as well.

You can find the file, here:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...125438&st=0

Thanks for the quick replay

assuming i want to use the original iso 132 boot

what types of kext do i need to insert?

does the one's i've mentioned before are enough?

p.s.

Have you tried the SlimBuildGui to make your iso?

The answers to your questions are in the guide. SlimBuild will not create bootable CD's for AMD PC's. Use a CD-RW and try the generic ISO plus your kexts.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the guide hecker, I am trying it right now.

Two issues I got. You wrote:

- Copy the 10.5.5 System.kext file into the Extensions folder of "initrd"

CODE

cp -R /Users/your_user/Desktop/System.kext /Volumes/initrd/Extensions/

Shouldn't it be:

There is no Extensions folder in initrd, only one in Extra.

Second:

For getting a basic installation from a retail disc done (adding specific kext and EFI strings later),

I only need to add a kext for my chipset to enable the hdd, right? Keybord, disabler and dsmos are already

in the initrd image (also system.kext and Voodoo kernel then of course), so if the DVD and harddisk drive

are recognised, a basic retail installation is possible? No other kext is needed to start up the fresh

retail installation and get other kext and stuff done?

OK it is:

Please correct above.

Thanks hecker, it works fine. Fully retail - almost complete vanilla.

That much vanilla, that I almost can feel Steve Jobs breathing down on my neck. :D

If he still breathes, that is. :(

• 2 weeks later...
OK it is:

Please correct above.

Thanks hecker, it works fine. Fully retail - almost complete vanilla.

That much vanilla, that I almost can feel Steve Jobs breathing down on my neck. :P

If he still breathes, that is. ;)

Thanks for the correction. I will edit it above!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest cavallo

Introduction

At this point your retail dvd should begin to load and start the installation process. If you get any errors like "still waiting for root device", etc. then you probably need other/additional kext files on your Boot-132 CD or you did not enter the UUID code correctly.

Part Four - Installing OS X

My retail dvd uuid is hd(31,1), is this the one i have to digit at boot prompt so like this rd(0,1)/mach_kernel.voodoo -v -legacy boot-hd(31,1)?

I think i have no kext problems as my ata is corretly seen as applenforce ata cmd .... 0x... i don't remember

Thanks for great guide.

hi hecker

thank you for your great guide

i tried your guid, but i couldnt boot from retail

/com.apple.boot.S/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist not found

need other kexts?

my system specs

cpu athlon64 3500

m/b msi rs480m2/rx480m2 (ms-7093)

south ati sb400

video ati x1950Pro

i used these kexts

ACPIPS2Nub.kext

AppleAC97Audio.kext

ApplePS2Controller.kext

AppleVIAATA.kext

dsmos.kext

IntelCPUPMDisabler.kext

IONetworkingFamily.kext

SMBIOSEnabler.kext

System.kext

- Press F8 and then the ESC key. You will be presented with the boot device selection menu.

when i used your guides iso couldnt press f8,

but i could press f8 when i used slimbuilds iso.(ofcourse cant boot)

my iso is incorrect?

sorry for my poor english

My retail dvd uuid is hd(31,1), is this the one i have to digit at boot prompt so like this rd(0,1)/mach_kernel.voodoo -v -legacy boot-hd(31,1)?

I think i have no kext problems as my ata is corretly seen as applenforce ata cmd .... 0x... i don't remember

Thanks for great guide.

Hecker wrote;

- Find and write down your retail disk's UUID. Insert the retail OS X DVD and open the Disk Utility app. Right click the cd on the left side of the panel and select "Information".

The UUID is something like this: A80AAB26-BFF2-3B6D-AD61-FE9DC5F830CD,

so the last parameter should be something like this: boot-uuid=A80AAB26-BFF2-3B6D-AD61-FE9DC5F830CD

According to munky you can use the drive/partition scheme, but you have to write: rd=hd(31,1)

Boot Disk Error

Thanks for the guide, it is very clear on what to do, however,

I get to the step after making my Boot132 disk, and put it in my computer and I get

Boot Disk Error

Any ideas?

HP Slimline s3700f

AMD Athlon X2 5000 Dual-Core Processor

Mother Board: ASUS M2N61-AR (Acacia)

• 2 weeks later...

M2N32sli-Deluxe AMD, Retail install with Boot-132 Cd on IDE drive

Thank you for the excellent Guide. I was able to install a Retail Leo on my system and successfully update with software update. My knowledge is limited with computers, buy am curious to try. Prior to this i had a successful install of iDeneb 10.5.5(AMD patch, AppleNForceATA, StageXNU, ADI1988, NVinject & AppleSIMBIOS).

Added the following kexts

AppleNForceATA

IONetworkingFamily

Nvinject

rtl8187

few problems though

No Sound

USB port does not work after booting. However the drive is recognized if i have a USB drive in the port before booting the system

Screen resolution limited to 1024x768. However when i burnt a boot Cd with similar kexts after several attempts with other kexts and got a full screen resolution in display preferences

Wifi, ethernet is green in network preferences, but no airport, able to get wifi with a later Realtek RTL8187 driver installed, still working after software updates

Sleep not working

After software update

1) the cursor gets stuck on bootup on Boot cd with higher resolution, but works with the first cd with the low resolution.

2) when i move a finder/application window, there is a ghost image which clears a little, but completely on closing the window (while using the first cd with low resolution)

differences on system profiler

Hardware Overview: Retail install

Model Name: Mac

Model Identifier: SomeModelPRW

Processor Name: Intel Core Duo

Processor Speed: 3.01 GHz

Number Of Processors: 1

Total Number Of Cores: 2

L2 Cache: 2 MB

Memory: 2 GB

Bus Speed: 200 MHz

Boot ROM Version: XXXX.XXXX.XXX

Serial Number: SOMESRLNMBR

Hardware Overview: iDeneb install

Model Name: Mac

Model Identifier: System Product Name

Processor Name: AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 6000+

Processor Speed: 3.01 GHz

Total Number Of Cores: 2

CPU Features: FPU VME DE PSE TSC MSR PAE MCE CX8 APIC SEP MTRR PGE MCA CMOV PAT PSE36 CLFSH MMX FXSR SSE SSE2 HTT SSE3 CX16

Memory: 2 GB

Bus Speed: 400 MHz

Display: on Retail install

Type: Display

Bus: PCIe

PCIe Lane Width: x16

VRAM (Total): 256 MB

Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)

Device ID: 0x0391

Revision ID: 0x00a1

Displays:

Display:

Resolution: 1024 x 768

Depth: 32-bit Color

Core Image: Software

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Quartz Extreme: Not Supported

Graphics by NVIDIA: on iDeneb install

Chipset Model: Graphics by NVIDIA

Type: Display

Bus: PCIe

PCIe Lane Width: x16

VRAM (Total): 1024 MB

Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)

Device ID: 0x0391

Revision ID: 0x00a1

ROM Revision: NVinject 0.2.1

Displays:

SyncMaster:

Resolution: 1680 x 1050 @ 60 Hz

Depth: 32-bit Color

Core Image: Hardware Accelerated

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Quartz Extreme: Supported

Rotation: Supported

Display Connector:

Any thoughts or suggestions on

1) USB

2) Audio (if i install the patch from iDeneb will it cause problems after updates)

3) screen resolution, QE

4) stuck cursor

5) processor and bus speed

5) other kexts

thanks everyone

• 3 weeks later...

hello petroy

The same happens on my powerbook, however i was able to do it on my amd osx

exit terminal and try again

if you still cant get through, i can attach the resized initrd.img

:)

I would love to try this out, but unfortunately I get the error

hdiutil: resize request is above maximum size allowed

when trying to resize the initrd.img file.

What can I do?

hello petroy

The same happens on my powerbook, however i was able to do it on my amd osx

exit terminal and try again

if you still cant get through, i can attach the resized initrd.img

:)

Thank you very much, i got it now. I installed the iDeneb Leopard version, and it worked fine then. This is a great guide! Everything worked fine.

I apologize for the delayed answers, guys.

After installing the EFI bootloader, my system does not show up the GUI. Do I have to put exactly the same kernel and System.kext (9.5.0) into my EFI boot partition like into my Boot-132 cd?

Yes, the kernel and system.kext files must match!

M2N32sli-Deluxe AMD, Retail install with Boot-132 Cd on IDE drive

Thank you for the excellent Guide. I was able to install a Retail Leo on my system and successfully update with software update. My knowledge is limited with computers, buy am curious to try. Prior to this i had a successful install of iDeneb 10.5.5(AMD patch, AppleNForceATA, StageXNU, ADI1988, NVinject & AppleSIMBIOS).

Added the following kexts

AppleNForceATA

IONetworkingFamily

Nvinject

rtl8187

Any thoughts or suggestions on

1) USB

2) Audio (if i install the patch from iDeneb will it cause problems after updates)

3) screen resolution, QE

4) stuck cursor

5) processor and bus speed

5) other kexts

thanks everyone

- The audio kext didn't work for me either so I had to place the required files in my system's extension folder. Updating should not be a problem! (You should make a backup of your extensions folder before doing changes)

- You might want to try adding a device property string (EFI String) to get your video card working. The EFIString application is included in pcwiz's OSX86Tools, which you can download from here:

http://######.com/osx86tools/

Remove any injectors you may have installed before doing this.

- I am currently experiencing the USB problem but I haven't had the time to read the 1000 posts related to that issue yet. I will post back as soon as I get it working.

Cheers,

- hecker

okay, I'm sure I have placed the correct System.kext and kernel in the EFI partition but the GUI still doesn't show. What else could be the reason?

Have you tried booting with -v? You might be able to see some error information during boot.

If nothing works, then try removing any video related kext files you may have.

Edit: I would recommend using the EFI-String method.