SuperDrive for PC

donald duck

11 posts in this topic

Hey there,

I noticed your expertise, as I google a lot on these topics.

I am currently looking for a Mac G5/Pro case/enclosure for a PC project. In some cases, a "SuperDrive" (some outdated 16xspeed DVD-drive I think) comes with a used enclosure. Can I use this "SuperDrive" for my PC, you think?

And can I use peripheals like keyboard, mouse, display as well with a ATX mobo?

I'm not sure what your asking here -

You have got an old superdrive - you want to know if you can put it into a enclosure? Sure, it's a normal DVD drive, just with some appl branding. :rolleyes:

as for your ATX question - heh? If you want put a ATX mobo into a G5/MP case have a look @ the modding section. As for the "keyboard, mouse, display" - the generally matters on what mobo you buy - of course you can use a k/m with it.

I think you should have a little read up on PC components before you do anything :P

Yes, I am asking, if it is possible to use an Apple SuperDrive in a PC. Thank you for your reply :D

I am also asking, if I can use apple accessories like the"mightymouse" and the "standard keyboard" for PC :)

(And btw, if any UK/European residents should happen to have a Mac Pro enclosure for sale, I am interested)

I guess you should be able to use it in the pc - it's a standard cd drive at the end of the day.

And for the accessories, most certainly - the keyboard and mouse are compatible.

You've got to be careful with displays. It depends on what models you are buying. If your talking about the current (silver) models - they are standard DVI connections. The older models (white) use a connection method called ADC, Apple Display Connector. A converter to DVI costs about $100-150, so kinda pricey.

"SuperDrive" is just a Pioneer DVD-RW.

Pioneer DVR-111D or Pioneer DVR-109D will be recognized by OSX as "Apple Shipped/Supported" SuperDrive.

They may not be available any more new from retailers, but something like this might work exactly as well:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16827129024

If your DVD burner doesn't work, just install PatchBurn for OSX. For PC system (or Windows OS) just install drivers or whatever mfr says

• 5 years later...

A "SuperDrive" is just an Apple  Branded DVD-RW/DL drive. Thats all, and most PC versions work. If you keeping with windows, but in a G5 Case, then you have nothing to worry about.

Think Mark

Hi, regarding the Superdrive, I was actually looking for the answer to this question. Except, I want to use a Superdrive in a brand new Hackintosh (but not with the G5 case)

However... I see that the last post was back in 2008.

... So, I would like to revisit this question, just to make sure.

I have a G5 which finally seems to have died on me.

... I am planning to build an Intel Hackintosh desktop, with a Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD3H motherboard. I don't plan to use the G5 case - too much modding.

I'd like to use the old Superdrive from the G5 in my new Hackintosh. I understand that the connectors are all SATA (pls correct me if I'm wrong) ... but when I told a "PC savvy" friend, he suggested that it probably wouldn't work, because the G5 is so old, and there are different types of SATA... SATA 1, 2, 3 etc.

... When I did a search, I couldn't find any indication that a Superdrive wouldn't connect to a new Motherboard... but I thought I'd post here, just to make sure.

This forum thread seems to indicate that the SATA 1, 2, 3 physical connectors are all the same, like USB 1, 2, 3

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/1656030

... Is this still the case in 2014? G5 Superdrives work in Hackintosh builds with GA-Z87X-UD3H Motherboards in New PC Cases

Thanks for reading :)

'hoi!

All super drives used in the Power Mac G5-line were ATA/IDE ones. So there is no hazzle with the different SATA-standards ;-)

So you can't connect a G5 super drive to the GA-Z87X-UDH3 (and other ancient mobos) without using an adapter.

Best regards,

'hoi!

All super drives used in the Power Mac G5-line were ATA/IDE ones. So there is no hazzle with the different SATA-standards ;-)

So you can't connect a G5 super drive to the GA-Z87X-UDH3 (and other ancient mobos) without using an adapter.

Best regards,

Hi, thanks for replying :)

... Just checked out my connections in the G5.  Looks like you're right.  It's the old IDE.

I guess I didn't expect this, because (unlike the old G4) I knew that the G5 Harddrive connectors are SATA.

I suppose I'll just buy a SATA internal DVD drive on ebay... they look very cheap, and I'll probably rarely use it anyway.

Tho I'll probably need it for installing OS 10.6 Snow Leopard. Buying this seems to be the cheapest option for bringing me up to the latest Mac OS... Mavericks.

Hi, no problem - I thought this forum was build to answer ;-)

It's good to hear, that I'm not the only surprised person when look at the G5 super drive interface... Additionally there is one more strange thing: my G5's super drive can't read dual layer dvds, while the super drive of the two years older G4 Quicksilver can.

If you have to buy a dvd drive AND the SL dvd, you'll end buy about 50 bucks - the price of an Lion USB key. If you won't use the dvd drive aside of installing the OS, I'd get the USB key drive from ebay/amazon (http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/apples-os-x-lion-usb-stick-now-on-sale/ ).

Hi, no problem - I thought this forum was build to answer ;-)

It's good to hear, that I'm not the only surprised person when look at the G5 super drive interface... Additionally there is one more strange thing: my G5's super drive can't read dual layer dvds, while the super drive of the two years older G4 Quicksilver can.

If you have to buy a dvd drive AND the SL dvd, you'll end buy about 50 bucks - the price of an Lion USB key. If you won't use the dvd drive aside of installing the OS, I'd get the USB key drive from ebay/amazon (http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/apples-os-x-lion-usb-stick-now-on-sale/ ).

Hi again... I like the idea of buying a new OS... but, I think I can buy the Snow Leopard on ebay (UK) for about £20 and a DVD drive for £15.

Looking at Lion 10.7 "USB" on Ebay UK it seems to be going for about £35 (the same as the others combined).

My thinking is... if I'm going to replace it with Mavericks anyway, I might as well have a DVD drive to show for it... even if I rarely use it.

... Lookng at ebay, it doesn't look like you can buy Snow Leopard on a USB key. Thanks for your input.