Bootcamp: Technical Discussion

lane

176 posts in this topic

OH... Look a that beautiful video driver!!!!

OK, Display look great... animates fine.

3D mark is DLing... wow, 500MB.

This is awesome!!

EDIT:

Hibernate shows up now, but I won't test it until I'm done DLing... in 22 minutes.

I have tried it with a mini core duo and the disk won't partition because "some files cannot be moved". I'm not in a position to back everything up at the moment. I tried making the windows partition smaller but no luck. I have almost 20GB free and I wanted a 6GB windows partition. Surely there must me 6 gigs of movable stuff in there somewhere!

Quite annoying really. I don't want to lose everything and I also don't really want to reinstall everything anyway.

I'll let you know if I manage to sort it. If anyone has the same problem and fixes it, let me know :-)

You need a minimum partition of 10GB

Restarts fine, no freeze up.

3D Mark is running... Looks great... only runny at like 3 fps though... Is that part of the test?

second test is 1fps... but it looks awesome.

3rd test is average 0fps.... this isn't going so well.

I'll be back to post my score once it's done.

Restarts fine, no freeze up.

3D Mark is running... Looks great... only runny at like 3 fps though... Is that part of the test?

second test is 1fps... but it looks awesome.

3rd test is average 0fps.... this isn't going so well.

I'll be back to post my score once it's done.

And that's after the install of the ati drivers?

You installed the video driver and such, right?

Yep, ATI is plastered everywhere

I'm tinkering with the settings now to see if I can't speed it up.

Ok, Tried OpenGL, instead of Direct3D... not a lot of change. Still choppy at about 2-4 fps...

:)

EDIT:

Driver version is 8.24.0.0 from ATI, date of 3/2/2006

Yep, ATI is plastered everywhere

I'm tinkering with the settings now to see if I can't speed it up.

Ok, Tried OpenGL, instead of Direct3D... not a lot of change. Still choppy at about 2-4 fps...

:)

EDIT:

Driver version is 8.24.0.0 from ATI, date of 3/2/2006

isn't 3DMark 2006 supposed to be slow with a card like this ? At least, try a PC game or 3D mark 2004/5.

from what i have read on the 3d mark forums for xp, those frame rates are a little low, but that is not an indication that the test is going slow. It has low frame rates during the test, and then spits out a hard number on how your macine did. Most test have 4-1 fps during differnt tests.

isn't 3DMark 2006 supposed to be slow with a card like this ? At least, try a PC game or 3D mark 2004/5.

Yeah 3DMark 2006 is for testing the latest greatest graphics cards, and it really pushes them to the limit.

from what i have read on the 3d mark forums for xp, those frame rates are a little low, but that is not an indication that the test is going slow. It has low frame rates during the test, and then spits out a hard number on how your macine did. Most test have 4-1 fps during differnt tests.

Well, here's your numbers:

1101 3DMarks

SM2.0 Score - 286

HDR/SM3.0 Score - 497

CPU Score - 1523

So, did you get a score jtg?

HEY!!!! I successfully booted from the Fedora Core 5 CD1.

Legacy Boot we have!!!! =)

EDIT:

I threw out my Vista Beta... I'll have to run over to my co-worker and grab another copy.

M.E. - I had the same problem (some files could not be moved). i had 16G free on my MPB, reparied permissions, deleted about 4G (Q and OpenOSX), repaired permissions again, restarted and finally got BootCamp to make the partition. Am installing XP now...

HEY!!!! I successfully booted from the Fedora Core 5 CD1.

I'd personally be really interested to know if Boot Camp is all that's necessary to install a bog-standard FC5.

Including:

network support

wireless networking support

CD burning support

but also:

sound

3D acc

USB and BT mouse and keyboard

etc

Thanks!