Bootcamp: Technical Discussion

lane

176 posts in this topic

has anyone tried it on a hacked x86 system? or does it need to detect OS X on an EFI board?

I'll have to admit, as much as I'm into MS software, Apple sure does look out for their customers.. just one more reason for me to save up for the intel power mac(or whatever they're gonna call it.)

does this mean Apple has to support windows xp now? I garuntee customers are going to be calling everyday asking why theres a blue screen with a bunch of hash in front of them!!

Why the hell do you even WANT this thing on a normal PC? Normal PCs can already boot windows :)

Why does the battery charge seems to run down faster when using Windows XP than when using Mac OS X?

Mac OS X includes power management optimizations that are not available in Windows XP.

Hmm, so running XP on the go may not be a good option for now.

It makes sense that they would do it now instead of wait for leopard. If too many hacker sites got this working with such a head start, they might look better than what Apple is offering. So best we all hack away at making the official solution better, then we're all on the same page.

Clean install is going right now. Although the Apple forum discussion says people are having trouble partitioning. I hope mine doesn't choke too. I'll know after I update to 10.4.6 and run it.

=)

Reading the FAQ and other documentation from Apple, it is unclear to me if Apple has deployed a non-desctructive partitioning solution or if they have come up with a way to install XP into a DMG within existing free space on the existing drive. The FAQ does say you MUST have a single partition on the drive, suggesting some type of automated non-destructive partioning must be used, but it certainly would be a nicer if this installed to a DMG that sits on the Apple file system. That would more gracefully introduce the possibility of having multiple seperate XP installs on a single drive, a la VMWare.

Indeed, all and all, Bootcamp seems like a VERY consumer-centric solution designed to provide minimal capability for users who need Windows -- it seems that perhaps Apple will leave it (for now) to other providers to offer more complete and flexible virtuatualization solutions. I mean, who really wants to have reboot?

Note, I'm not criticizing the move at all -- I think it's great, brilliant and thank Apple for getting AAPL out of a rut.

I have tried it with a mini core duo and the disk won't partition because "some files cannot be moved". I'm not in a position to back everything up at the moment. I tried making the windows partition smaller but no luck. I have almost 20GB free and I wanted a 6GB windows partition. Surely there must me 6 gigs of movable stuff in there somewhere!

Quite annoying really. I don't want to lose everything and I also don't really want to reinstall everything anyway.

I'll let you know if I manage to sort it. If anyone has the same problem and fixes it, let me know :-)

XP is installing!!!

I can only presume that the firmware update added some form of legacy BIOS support. The XP CD is booting unmodified!!!!

W00T!

=)

EDIT:

Confirmed!! Apple's documentation says that you can reinstall Windows by simply booting with Opt and choosing the XP installer CD now.

Do you have a link for that last part, John the Geek?

Windows XP didn’t install properly

Restart your computer, holding down the Option key. Release the Option key when

one or more disk icons appear on your screen. Insert the Windows XP CD. Select the

Windows CD icon and then click the arrow beneath the icon. Quickly press any key on

your keyboard to start the installer. Follow the onscreen instructions to repair or

reinstall Windows.

That wasn't possible before... right?

http://images.apple.com/macosx/bootcamp/pd...Setup_Guide.pdf

EDIT: It might be a bit premature to presume all BIOS support, but an unmodified XP CD says a lot too...

Has anybody tried the firmware update and partitioning process and then tried installing a Linux distribution?

Not yet, but I have some CDs here somewhere so i can try booting from them once this is done.

I was thinking exactly the same thing.... if it would partition I could try.

However having tried a disk I know is bootable (bartpe) and reading over their documentation again they seem to stress quite strongly that it needs to be XP service pack 2. So I think it's very unlikely to work straight out of the box so to speak. Worth a try though if anyone feels like it!

EDIT: This is getting annoying now. I have nothing running other than the standard OS background tasks so what can it not move. Nothing should be in use that Apple didn't know would be in use. Hmmm... I'll keep trying. Perhaps burn a few of the bigger files to DVD or something to get them out of the way.

The Macintosh Drivers CD includes drivers to support these within Windows XP:

* Intel Chip Set Software (6.2.1)

* ATI Graphics (8.24.0.0)

* Intel Integrated Graphics (6.14.10.4512)

* Marvel Yukon Ethernet (8.49.2.3)

* SigmaTel Audio (1.0.4889.0 nd375 cp1)

* SigmaTel Audio proto_A2 (1.0.4889.0 nd375 cp1)

* Atheros 802.11 wireless (AirPort) (4.2.2.4)

* Broadcom Wireless (4.10.40.0)

* Apple Bluetooth module (1.0.0.1)

* Apple Keyboard Eject Key (1.0.0.1)

* Apple Keyboard Brightness (for computers with built-in displays) (1.0.0.1)

* Startup Disk Control Panel for Windows XP (1.0.0.1)

does it support X1600 video drivers?

Says it does... although I don't know to what extent yet.

Anyone have any 3D tests they'd like me to try out? Post some links and I'll provide test results.

=)

Would be nice to test directX support for the graphics card. Try downloading DirectX from Microsoft and in Control Panel you'll see the DirectX icon to test your system... (maybe it's not necessary to install directx if you have installed some application with directx requirements like Premiere...)

Oh, I forgot it...check your internet connections because Windows is an open box, hehehe...(you know, those stuff called worms...)

An interesting addition is also that Apple mentions SpaceMaker, a friendly live repartitioning tool that we haven't been treated to before.

I want this app, so I've been playing with the .pkg using Pacifist. It contains a DiskImage.dmg with the Install Windows Drivers for Macintosh Hardware.exe and stuff, some graphics files, and the Boot Camp Assistant.app. But I haven't seen any package for the SpaceMaker yet.

I'm thinking that SpaceMaker is part of the Assistant.app itself, which is Universal. Perhaps its only Universal to be able to bring up a dialog that says "You can't run this on your system", but chances are that the SpaceMaker part can run on PowerPC too.

Any clues on helping me extract SpaceMaker from this thing? Perhaps try and circumvent the hardware check so it at leasts grants me access to the rest of the procedure on PowerPC?