AnV Chameleon boot loader

Andy Vandijck

136 posts in this topic

Guest BuildSmart
If i remember correctly i gave you an updated version of boot1h which can deal with case sensitive hfs+ filesystems - which is also my work. That should be released with 1.0.12 but instead we're working on this 'big' loader and delayed the release for the 1.5 version.

Please be patient guys, everything will be shared (as usual) with the new release but don't be so demanding with the 'deadlines' and overall. This is a hobby-part time project and it makes me feel a bit weird when _i_ have to say excuses...

Peace,

zef

You gave me more than the boot1h file and told me that it would be released within a couple of weeks, it really doesn't matter now since that was months ago so don't sweat it, I've shelved it for now, will pick it up later when source is available.

Sorry, but THAT REAL C.... team does nothing with their homepage !!!

Since weeks they say "upcoming...." thats all and REAL {censored} if they didnt feed the homepage with some informations

like the great voodoo team does / had done at the way to realese version!

Maybe they are great devs but have an dumb realationship view of sight.

For me it doesnt matter if Andy uses that name CHAMELEON. So every osx86 fan knows what it does.

If the chameleon team dont want to share the name they will tell him that.

as far as i can see, the chameleon team prefer to remain silent until they have something to say - ie something to release. you wouldnt beleive the amount of work going into their new release.

as far as i can see, the chameleon team prefer to remain silent until they have something to say - ie something to release. you wouldnt beleive the amount of work going into their new release.

Yeah, i now that, sorry for an too hard comment.

Its 100% OK that dev teams decide their own way of news management for the end users.

I agree, some noobs think that is easy to make it, they really don't understand the hundreds of line of codes that these developers do. I really appreciate all the hard work that this community and all developers do in donating their time in making awesome applications and releases!!!

I realise this is pretty off-topic, but arguably, this thread has been for the most part...

If i remember correctly i gave you an updated version of boot1h which can deal with case sensitive hfs+ filesystems - which is also my work. That should be released with 1.0.12 but instead we're working on this 'big' loader and delayed the release for the 1.5 version.

I also need that particular feature, which you provided - thanks. Does the above mean that it's definitely not going to be part of 1.0.12? That would be a shame.

On a more general note, I often feel like there is little information in-between dummy instructions ("open terminal, type ...") and looking at the source code (if available). I'm sure there are many users like me, experienced in the domains that are at stake, but unwilling to make "OSX86" into their primary hobby. I had a hard time figuring out that chameleon 1.0.11 does not support case-sensitive HFS+, and also what other features it does (not) provide.

I think nobody is in a position to demand anything of anyone in this area, but my wish would be this: better documentation, in the form of a readme or a changelog, just so one can figure out what a particular implementation does without having to resort to scattered forum posts, blog comments, irc logs and the like.

Cheers, yorkey

I think nobody is in a position to demand anything of anyone in this area, but my wish would be this: better documentation, in the form of a readme or a changelog, just so one can figure out what a particular implementation does without having to resort to scattered forum posts, blog comments, irc logs and the like.

Well, you said it, nobody is in a position to demand anything of anybody, after all it's only a hobby...

Yet I agree with you on the documentation. Ive got bunches of kexts, same name, same version Nrs,

dates change with touching, only way to keep track is folders named with the url of where it came from.

We don't need 800pp pdf, just a 2 or 3 line.txt zipped with the software would be sweet, and would lift the ratings of that author :D

Compiled | hacked by <nym> <date>
<FunctionName> should fix abc on pqr systems
MD5 would be sweet overkill ;)

What? Me RTFM? Once its unzipped I throw away the ReadMe & put the software on my site for download...

RESPECT TO ALL OF THEM, who make the community grow and osx86 better.

but AnV sounds a little vain, taking the source code from chameleon ( which they greatfully publish) and do a little what-ever-optimzing and brand the installer with his name.

same happened to smbios taken from chan, etc.

WOW lol this is getting silly and very childish. Some make it sound like others invented it and he stole it. There are some that give no credit at all to some of the stuff they have released here yet we hear nothing lol. I like this "It is an explicit “feature” of open source that it may put no restrictions on the use or distribution by any organization or user." Sorry its not yours and your going to have to SHARE even if you want to go somewhere else and hide and watch. Oh someone used the word followers. OMG how old are we? Are you really in this for the praise?

So alot us say "thank you guys for all your billions of hours, days, months, years of hard work" theres always someone that says "thats not good enough. They need to say my NAME!"

Like someone said.. its a hobby, there will ALWAYS be someone that comes along with something better, faster. Thank you.

Can i install it over any bootloader?

Now i have EFi v9

Sure it can be installed over any boot loader.

Hi Andy,

Would it be possible to make an installer package that installs this bootloader? If its OK with you I would like to include it as an option on my iPC OSx86 distribution.

Thanks for your work! :)

~pcwiz

Sure, go ahead, it works the same as the regular Chameleon files so... :unsure:

Andy, would you think about doing a EFI partition version?

I've been working on that too, but the eventual result was WAY to big...

It may take a while, but I'll get there...

Why not join the voodoo team, combine forces. I'am sure the features you'll be adding are worked on elsewhere.

"waarom het wiel opnieuw uitvinden" ;)

Hi Andy,

I suppose that you're more focused in developing the "EFI partition" for your bootloader. But I'd like to know if you plan to add support to the /Extra/Extensions folder in the SAME partition of Mac OS X, that is what I'm using right now...

Anyway, if I install you bootloader that means I'll have to move all the extra kexts to the vanilla kexts folder, is that it?

Thanks for your great developing efford!

M.

Hi Andy,

I suppose that you're more focused in developing the "EFI partition" for your bootloader. But I'd like to know if you plan to add support to the /Extra/Extensions folder in the SAME partition of Mac OS X, that is what I'm using right now...

Anyway, if I install you bootloader that means I'll have to move all the extra kexts to the vanilla kexts folder, is that it?

Thanks for your great developing efford!

M.

Yes, that is right.

/Extra folder: It wouldn't be that much extra work to add this on to the boot loader.

I've looked into this.

The only point is that the total size may not exceed 62K (boot file).

Otherwise it won't load properly.

That's the only reason I haven't finished it off yet (EFI partition version).

I think of saving on size by reducing the number of text (or removing) used by some printfs.

That way I should be able to squeeze it in since the printed text gets offcourse put static in...

• 1 month later...
Guest BuildSmart
That "anyone" in 99.9% cases is a tester and the source is not required in all cases unless he can contribute, as you probably know nobody can work w/o testers... Now if that "anyone" breaks the trust and came up on forums and start flaming or worst "share" the source with psystar or other "smart" companies is not the developer/s fault...

Tired to see so many people bitching and complaining, using multiple nicknames to add more flame and start more conflicts in this forum...

Also tired to see you BuildSmart "fighting for justice" (LOL) popping up in every topic that have something to do with Voodoo Team work, I know is hard for you to be out of this but seriously get a life...

I think you need to up your medication.

I don't have multiple nicknames and I haven't shared any source with anyone I was not permitted to share the code of so I know you're not referencing me.

Voodoo Team work, what the hell are you talking about???

I see a lot of broken promises and little detail provided, I have had binaries provided to me by zef which I needed the source for but that never happened and since it's been more than a year since the chameleon team has released anything I found a different solution to get the source I needed.

Now there is rumor that all kinds of pretty things are going on but no mention of a concrete release date and the previous dates have come and gone by several months, seems everyone is concluding that the new chameleon has serious compatibility issues and the inability to resolve these issues is preventing it's release, I reserve my opinion at this time cause I haven't seen these binaries that everyone is playing with so it would be unfair for me to offer one.

The smart thing for you to do would be not to involve yourself in matters that don't concern you.

If you take a look at my source you will find the code required for working from the EFI partition (it's in the Ultimate BadAxe 2 thread).

Yes, that is right.

/Extra folder: It wouldn't be that much extra work to add this on to the boot loader.

I've looked into this.

The only point is that the total size may not exceed 62K (boot file).

Otherwise it won't load properly.

That's the only reason I haven't finished it off yet (EFI partition version).

I think of saving on size by reducing the number of text (or removing) used by some printfs.

That way I should be able to squeeze it in since the printed text gets offcourse put static in...

Maybe, taking out the Boot Apple logo?