Banning the word "plz"?

360freak

21 posts in this topic

Am I the only one who just hates it when people use the word, "plz"? Maybe it's because most posts that use it are something along the lines of:

"i want 2 no if osx will run on my dell dimension blah plz help"

It's really just one of my pet peeves I guess. Anyone else feel this way? I say a forum-wide banning of "plz"!

• 3 weeks later...

Why not just have some sort of script that automatically converts these text messaging terms like "plz" "ppl" and "thx" into the proper word.

e.g. plz = please

ppl = people

thx = thanks

I'm sure that this will not be hard, considering we can censor words we can use the same censoring component and have it replace those "swears" with their actual words :rolleyes:

Why not just have some sort of script that automatically converts these text messaging terms like "plz" "ppl" and "thx" into the proper word.

e.g. plz = please

ppl = people

thx = thanks

I'm sure that this will not be hard, considering we can censor words we can use the same censoring component and have it replace those "swears" with their actual words :)

Its a good idea in theory, but I believe it would add to the laziness of the people who use this forum and make unnecessary work for those who do the website coding.

Laziness, yes, but I don't believe it will have negative effects on people who are using the proper words to become lazy, just because InsanelyMac could substitute the words that doesn't mean that that will happen in other places on the net. Bottom line is that it can only get better, not worse. And this will not require any extra coding afaik because IPB has built in support for censoring words. This system basically takes the word and replaces it with something else, right now we have the generic "{censored}" for every censored word, but this can be changed for specific words to use something else instead of "{censored}"

e.g. plz = please

ppl = people

thx = thanks

I'm sure that this will not be hard, considering we can censor words we can use the same censoring component and have it replace those "swears" with their actual words :)

As far as i know phpBB 2.X has this feature in the Admin control panel, no additional scripts required.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't mind people asking for help (politely), as long as they type their sentences right.

What's really annoying is that some people are just too lazy to type their questions properly, let alone research it first. I can live with people not knowing the difference between their and they're, your and you're, than and then, etc. But when people start to use chatspeak/1337speak, I really get the urge to hit them in the face instead of helping them.

You're not helping anyone by typing cryptic messages that takes 30 minutes to decode. And you certainly won't get any help with typing such cryptic messages. At least, not from me.

I think my sig is a clear enough message on this matter. :)

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...