Macbook Pro Return

Ouch

21 posts in this topic

OK so i got my macbook pro a month ago and at first it presented with the now well documented inverter buzz, and the usual excessive heat. I figured it was more hassle to try and get it repaired (i don't have an apple store nearby) than to just live with the heat issue and run the display at 100% all the time (which i do anyway) However a couple of weeks ago it started making a high pitched whining noise - like metal grinding - intermittently usually when running processor intensive applications. Tapping the top right corner of the case stops the noise but it returns after a couple of seconds. I ignored it at first but it got worse and more frequent so getting worried that it was doing some damage I gave in and decided to call apple. After the usual telephone based problem solving they agreed to repair it (I was hoping for a replacement revision d model but hey ho)

Anyway, just wondered if anyone here has experienced returning their MBP to apple and if the one they got back actually worked?

(i don't have an apple store nearby)

Then you can call 1800MYAPPLE and get the name and number of an AppleCare certified technician near you, who will do the work and do it for free if you bought AppleCare (which you always take the extended warranty on a laptop anyway)

there has already been a few revisions on the macbook pro and Apple has fixed alot of these issues and I am sure I read that your issue has been fixed. I believe they will replace you logic board or whatever the part is that is faulty for you so you will have an upgraded vision and you should be sweet.

Then you can call 1800MYAPPLE and get the name and number of an AppleCare certified technician near you, who will do the work and do it for free if you bought AppleCare (which you always take the extended warranty on a laptop anyway)

I live in the UK so calling 1800MYAPPLE would probably result connection to an adult oriented chat line :( and i never buy the extended warranty, i object to being charged extra on the basis that the product i already dropped £1200 may not be good enough to last more than a year. What a crock!

I live in the UK so calling 1800MYAPPLE would probably result connection to an adult oriented chat line :) and i never buy the extended warranty, i object to being charged extra on the basis that the product i already dropped £1200 may not be good enough to last more than a year. What a crock!

I have always purchased AppleCare, and it's paid for itself when the hard drive on my iMac G3 died (the replacement cost plus labor on the hard drive would have been more than the AppleCare amount). The sole exception to the rule was with my iBook G3, but that's covered under a different repair program (the logic board thing). Oh, well, it's your money and you can spend it on repairs or warranties, I guess.

Well i got the macbook back - and the whining appears to have been rectified as has the hissing inverter - it's still as hot so i guess thats normal. It was returned with zero indication of what they did - except for a cryptic part number and code. I presume this was the system board since when i switched it on bootcamp was no longer working and i had to re-update the firmware to fix it.

i have a lot of heat when i run windows, but i dont use it on my lap when i play games. osx doesnt generate an excessive amount of heat for me.

i have the tiniest little whine on mine, but i can only hear it when it is dead quiet. im usually listening to music anyway, and i dont have a screen flicker. i just think of the whine and think about how much less noise it makes than my desktop. its all good here :(

I need some help also. I had my macbook fixed bc of the whining issued at the NYC store. They sent it to repairs and the replaced the inverter for some reason. I know the whining was not from the screen bc it went away when i turned on photobooth. Well, so I got it back and the whining is noise is of course still there. What should I do? Is there anyway to get a new revision mainboard?

I need some help also. I had my macbook fixed bc of the whining issued at the NYC store. They sent it to repairs and the replaced the inverter for some reason. I know the whining was not from the screen bc it went away when i turned on photobooth. Well, so I got it back and the whining is noise is of course still there. What should I do? Is there anyway to get a new revision mainboard?

i here there was a firmware update out in the last week or so from apple to help remove whining.. I heard it on a podcast

Ouch!, have you noticed any screen flicker? I know several people have complained about it at low light levels.

My screen doesn't flicker, not within a frequency visible to the naked eye at least ;)

With regard to your whinning problem badg2k, take it back to the store and tell them it's still whining. I was careful to make it clear to the apple care guy that i knew about the inverter and it was a separate issue and i made sure he noted that on the report for the technician.

Well, the time I went there, the genius was very stuck up. He said the whine was all within the normal specs and the things I was hearing about the motherboard revisions were all rumors. But of course I pushed for it, and that jerk marked it as an inverter issue even thought he very well knew it wasnt one bc the noise did not change with the screen brightness.

It wasn't only that, I asked him to look at my power adapter, since the 2 prongs on the brick where the plug heads are attached, was oxidizing. He said that I wasn't supposed to switch the plug heads, and blew it off. Why would they include two adapter heads if i wasnt supposed to switch them?

I'm getting very frustrated with the geniuses at the SoHo story in NYC. Do you think I'll have a good chance of getting the mainboard replaced if I call apple support?

I found this app on Apple's forum. It is an app to help reduce the whine on the Macbook Pro. Since I don't have one, I can't test it out, but I think it should help. I don't remember the author's name, but if I remember it, I will surely give him/her credit for it.

Here it is.

QuietMBP1.1.zip