Intel GMA 945 (950) Giving Corrupt Display on Sony Vaio SZ73B (JP model equivalent to US SZ4x)

itfcfan

3 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I've installed Kalyway 10.5.2 on my Vaio SZ. The laptop contains both an Intel GMA945 and an NVidia model, selectable by a hardware switch. Every guide I read by Vaio SZ users recommends the Intel graphics be selected when using OSX, but I've found only the NVidia works (but stuck on 1024x768 w/o QE).

When I try to use the GMA945, everything is fine up to the grey apple bootloading screen. Past that, I get a strange corrupted display. It's basically a grey screen with a pattern on - kind of like a cartoon depiction of an old movie with lots of lines. A roughly shaped, rounded frame on the screen is a darker grey. It actually looks like my graphics card is outputting something which is burning up my display - quite scary... OSX continues to boot though, as I can hear Skype startup, etc. This happens when I've installed the updated kexts, bundled with Kalyway 10.5.2 (among other places). If I get rid of these kexts, and go with Apple's originals, my system again works ok up to the Apple grey boot loading screen, but then I get the blue screen (and I'm guessing if I had an external monitor handy, it would work there).

On the Darwin boot, my graphics card is detected as 7MB (it uses shared memory). If I boot into safe mode Apple shows it as 64MB shared memory (I don't know if anything in safe mode is accurate.

Has anyone else experienced something similar? Its kind of a hard topic to search for, as there are no error messages. Any ideas on how to solve this? If there is any debug information that people would find useful that I can get hold of in safe mode, etc, let me know and I'll grab it. Any help would be really appreciated.

Cheers,

John

go to the bios and tell it to stretch the video and reinstall with the gma drivers

Hey,

Thanks for the advice. My bios settings seem very limited though. The option to stretch the video (seen when in command line mode as full screen rather than a small area in the middle is already set to true). Could you give me a run down of which section your video stretch option is in the bios so I can check?

Thanks,

John