TV-Out enabled Graphics Card

snowmusicman

4 posts in this topic

Hello everyone,

I have my system running without any problems and very stable so far. The only thing I'm missing is the TV-Out. My GPU is an Inno3D 7200GS and I have tried everything to get the TV-Out to work (setting NVCAP values, injectors, etc.) and although I've gotten to see the picture on my SD TV (through hot plugging and/or display detection), I haven't been able to make it work reliably. Because of the lame 3D performance of the 7200GS I want to replace it with a better one, so here is the question:

is the ATI HD2600XT the best card with a working TV-Out? I read that the Apple DVI2Video adapter works with it.

I've also read that the Apple DVI2Video adapter works with the HD3870 Mac Edition which makes me wonder if it would work with a normal PC HD3870 (has anybody tried this?), the Mac Edition is to expensive to consider (does it work anyway?)

I appreciate your help, since this would be the last step to not having to boot into windows at all.

Hello everyone,

I have my system running without any problems and very stable so far. The only thing I'm missing is the TV-Out. My GPU is an Inno3D 7200GS and I have tried everything to get the TV-Out to work (setting NVCAP values, injectors, etc.) and although I've gotten to see the picture on my SD TV (through hot plugging and/or display detection), I haven't been able to make it work reliably. Because of the lame 3D performance of the 7200GS I want to replace it with a better one, so here is the question:

is the ATI HD2600XT the best card with a working TV-Out? I read that the Apple DVI2Video adapter works with it.

I've also read that the Apple DVI2Video adapter works with the HD3870 Mac Edition which makes me wonder if it would work with a normal PC HD3870 (has anybody tried this?), the Mac Edition is to expensive to consider (does it work anyway?)

I appreciate your help, since this would be the last step to not having to boot into windows at all.

Hi,

The DVI-D to svideo/cinch dongle from apple has been working great on the HD2600XT, but the card self is not fast for games etc. You can choose all pal/ntsc resolutions interlaced etc, overscan, filtering etc.

PS:Only the top DVI-D connector, not the one clossest to the motherboard works with the Dongle.

On nvidia cards fx5200, the tv-out out only worked on the model which had 'DVI+vga+tv', not 'VGA/TV' or "DVI DVI TV" with old natit, or titan. Apple still mentions on their site that the adapter will not work with newercards than old 1900xt 1600xt or even 9800pro, but hd2600xt was great. You might try the 3870, but don't know anything about the driver problems/injectors. Nvidia cards are more garanteed. If your old TV dies you are better of connecting a DVI / hdmi panel to a new fast card, than buying the old hd2600xt or 3870 which is also old.

• 7 months later...

I didn't reply here because I've been busy at work, but now that I'm on vacations I wanted to tell that I went ahead and bought an HD3870. The one I bought (used) is the Sapphire HD3870 Ultimate, which is passively cooled, something that I really like because I built my Hackintosh as quiet as possible. Tv-out worked out of the box so to speak with the strings from EFIStudio Extended (HD3870 Megalodon), using either S-Video or Composite. No need to buy the dvi2video dongle, no hangs on reboot or any problem, it just works. Also like the fact that it is still capable to play games which I do once in a while. So if anybody is looking for a card with 100% working tv-out, my recommendation goes to this one. Oh and thanks walterav for your quick reply (I know it's been a long time but better late than never :-)

• 3 months later...

Installed SL via this guide http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=183751 which worked a treat.

Added an EFI string and res/ci/qe/opencl all working but no s-video out

So, looking for an alternative, I removed all EFI strings and rebooted into vesa mode. Then added GraphicsEnabler=y to com.apple.boot.plist and rebooted.

res/zi/qe/opencl all working again but still no s-video. Anyone got this working?