AnV Mac OS X 10.4.11 xnu-792.25.20 kernel (Tiger)

55 posts in this topic

Just like the topic says, my kernel for Tiger.

Have Tiger fun...

Also supports overriding the default Mac model by boot argument e.g. macmodel=MacPro2,1 :wub:

Has scripts for building optimized intel + optimized universal xnu kernel which use gcc-4.2 + g++-4.2 instead of gcc-4.0 + g++-4.0, they produce better and faster code...

Has also built-in decrypter + sse3 emu.

I've also added (not enabled by default) etherspoof + raw socket patch.

You can use this, but at current dhcp is then a no op.

If you want the "fat" universal kernel, you can make it but I don't see the point unless you have a hackintosh Tiger + Apple PPC Mac.

I'll be updating it with more things later.

xnu_792.25.20_AnV.patch.zip

xnu_10.4.11_i386.zip

Hey Andy,

Good work. It seems you adapted the ToH patches for tiger. Must've been massive effort. But the trouble is that the toh sources have a lot of long-standing problems so we started from scratch and came up with the Voodoo kernel. In a few hours we'll be releasing the kernel as well as the source patches. We decided to focus only on Leopard, so if you want, you can take the patches and apply it to Tiger. I highly recommend dropping toh in favor of Voodoo. Maybe you might even want to contribute your own patches to voodoo for leopard. Look for the website link in my sig.

Cheers.

Hey Andy,

Good work. It seems you adapted the ToH patches for tiger. Must've been massive effort. But the trouble is that the toh sources have a lot of long-standing problems so we started from scratch and came up with the Voodoo kernel. In a few hours we'll be releasing the kernel as well as the source patches. We decided to focus only on Leopard, so if you want, you can take the patches and apply it to Tiger. I highly recommend dropping toh in favor of Voodoo. Maybe you might even want to contribute your own patches to voodoo for leopard. Look for the website link in my sig.

Cheers.

I completely agree with you!!

Hello!

I would respsect anyone who could port the advances made in the new Leopard Voodoo kernel to Tiger. That would be more than great :D

Their are many advantages for AGP users in Tiger compared to Leopard (ie support). Also you have better linux drive support in this (i think)

Bring on AMD support in Tiger (without our friend Marvin's intervention)

Cheers,

HC

Well sure, you might also want to add model selection to yours, it is really usefull for overriding the Mac model.

I'll keep working on them and I read your report Mercury, it really is a better core than ToH, I know.

Will do so when I have time.

Got a new girlfriend and etc... LOL

I'll keep on doing work for the OSX86 community...

Thanks for the patches.

Cheers...

As reply to questions.

The built-in decrypter is DSMOS.kext...

Universal because you can build it for both PPC and Intel.

No, it doesn't fix the timing issue, not yet anyway.

Mercury, if you want me to implement the version for Tiger, post the regular diff plz.

I would be happy to help, but I don't have access to a Mac for the net... (unfortunetely)

Thanks in advance, I'll contribute, feel free to check my code once its done...

Mercury, if you want me to implement the version for Tiger, post the regular diff plz.

I would be happy to help, but I don't have access to a Mac for the net... (unfortunetely)

Thanks in advance, I'll contribute, feel free to check my code once its done...

Hi, the voodoobuild-0.3.0 package on the google code download section contains the diffs you need. You just need to download some other additional packages from Apple's developer website (check the voodoobuild.sh file) and also xnu-1228.7.58, put the archive files in the cache/ folder and run the script. The script will detect that you have already downloaded the packages and will just use those instead of connecting to the internet.

Later we'll upload a pre-packaged offline version too but for now you can try that ^

Drop by in IRC sometime if you need any help.

Hi, the voodoobuild-0.3.0 package on the google code download section contains the diffs you need. You just need to download some other additional packages from Apple's developer website (check the voodoobuild.sh file) and also xnu-1228.7.58, put the archive files in the cache/ folder and run the script. The script will detect that you have already downloaded the packages and will just use those instead of connecting to the internet.

Later we'll upload a pre-packaged offline version too but for now you can try that ^

Drop by in IRC sometime if you need any help.

Ok, I'll check and merge your great patches in latest Tiger xnu.

This will probably take a while, but I'll get there.

EDIT: I just took a look at the patches + code.

That is one damn impressive xnu kernel mod.

A lot of nice features also, some things which I've indeed never seen in any patches for xnu kernels (e.g. patching of the code signing id's, among others...).

I'm really impressed by all of your hard work on this latest xnu kernel.

It will take a lot of time though, to port it all into the older xnu tree.

I'll get there though, give me some time for this.

As for the rest: I salute you guys and I'll be using a slightly modded Leopard version for myself (Mac model override added).

If you'd like I'll give the patch diffs to you for this, as it can be really handy to override the emulated Mac model directly in the kernel.

I use this myself for setting the MacBookPro4,1 entry, as MacBookPro5,1 (which is used in my SMBIOS) sets for the moment its model name approved as MacBook Pro through EFI.

Please let me know...

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Andy,

Thanks for all your amazing work. You are certainly cranking out the releases ATM!

I just wanted to put a +1 for a 10.4.11 "fat voodoo based amd compatible kernel"

However, i am unsure about how advanced the drivers were for this release on the nvidia side (8x00)

Their are certain features in tiger that are not avliable in leopard at the moment, such as AGP support for nvidia cards, which slice has been working on but he requires a developer (there have been little progress towards supporting nvidia for over a year on leopard) http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...1308&st=840

DSDT patches have been considered and maybe some kernel work is required?

Their has been a few dissapointments recently so i am crossing fingers for a new lease of life here!

Hope this is of intrest.

Have a great day,

HC ;)

Hello Andy Vandijck,

I'm using an computer (TOTO3 in my sign) with SSE2 CPU and I've installed Tiger on it. But, after multiple reinstall I can't install an kernel > than 8.9.1 .

So, since I've seen your topic I'm glad to see that Tiger isn't completely buried.

In other words, I've tested your kernel with additional kexts.

But, I have immediately an kernel panic.

dsc00477cf9.th.jpg cpuz1gz1.th.jpg cpuz2ks9.th.jpg cpuz3ce8.th.jpg

I'm using Netkas PC_EFI v9

Thank you to continue this project and to fix this bug.

Jericane1

PS : Sorry, I'm French and I speek very little English.

• 3 weeks later...

replaced mach_kernel with this one and now I get kernel panic.

JaS 10.4.6 - P4 Northwood (SSE2), i845/ich4, ati radeon 9550 128mb agp (haven't worked on installing yet, but it did work @ default res; no other display modes or qe/ci).

I'm only using Tiger because of the video card; I could downgrade back to 440mx if I have to for the sake of using the voodoo kernel in leopard, but I'd rather get this video card working, and have a usable OS at the same time (default kernel from install was very slow).

So am I to take it this kernel only works with 10.4.11, and won't work with 10.4.4?

Indeed, it is darwin kernel version 9.8.11, which only works on 10.4.11.

• 1 month later...
replaced mach_kernel with this one and now I get kernel panic.

JaS 10.4.6 - P4 Northwood (SSE2), i845/ich4, ati radeon 9550 128mb agp (haven't worked on installing yet, but it did work @ default res; no other display modes or qe/ci).

I'm only using Tiger because of the video card; I could downgrade back to 440mx if I have to for the sake of using the voodoo kernel in leopard, but I'd rather get this video card working, and have a usable OS at the same time (default kernel from install was very slow).

10.4.6...? Update to 10.4.11...

This only works under 10.4.11...

anymore on this tiger fully updated with the voodoo kernal would be great for the eeepc

it fits on the ssd.

plz andy keep workin on this

Haven't had the time yet... very busy...

Hello Andy Vandijck,

I'm using an computer (TOTO3 in my sign) with SSE2 CPU and I've installed Tiger on it. But, after multiple reinstall I can't install an kernel > than 8.9.1 .

So, since I've seen your topic I'm glad to see that Tiger isn't completely buried.

In other words, I've tested your kernel with additional kexts.

But, I have immediately an kernel panic.

dsc00477cf9.th.jpg cpuz1gz1.th.jpg cpuz2ks9.th.jpg cpuz3ce8.th.jpg

I'm using Netkas PC_EFI v9

Thank you to continue this project and to fix this bug.

Jericane1

PS : Sorry, I'm French and I speek very little English.

J'ai vu que vous utilisez 10.4.10... appliquez l'update pour 10.4.11...

Cette xnu kernel fonctionne seulement sur 10.4.11...

PC EFI V9 ca = OK...

Hi.

EFI GFX string doesnt work.

Some Questions...

1. Universal?

2. Doesnt need dsmos?

EFI GFX strings require EFI enabled bootloader like Chameleon or PC EFI...

Kernel has support for EFI, used parts from Leo...

Is this Kernel for Intel machines only ?

Thanks!

Intel AMD SSE2 SSE3

Same as Toh...