1950XT issues with 10.5.5; considering a 3870

eskimo macinoid

4 posts in this topic

I recently upgraded from a E6600 2.4 GHz processor to a Q9550 2.83. I was running 10.5.5. My setup hit 207 on XBench and things were going well. Except, my sound got really wonky with system alerts cut in half, ie a two beep system alert would only be one beep. Movies and internet sound worked fine. A search on these forums seemed to point to a change in the FSB strap from the old 266 to the new 333.

I decided to re-install OS X, especially considering my installation was several months any how (I used to re-boot windows every three months to keep it fresh). Using Iatkos 10.5.4 (v4i), I got QE/CI working on my 1950XT using the jcool method and sound up and running using ACL883 drivers. When I updated to 10.5.5, I lost sound and I lost QE/CI, which didn't happen when I installed it the last time (downloaded and ran the installation, did work in the terminal as per 10.5.3 update). Also, my two internal AHCI SATA drives turned orange, which also didn't happen before.

I tried a lot of workarounds to get everything working under 10.5.5. Sound was easy. I couldn't, however get rid of the orange drives or get QE/CI acceleration. When I tried the Jcool method under 10.5.5, all I got was a blue screen with a cursor.

Finally, I decided to forgo 10.5.5 for now because I needed my computer up and running. Everything works great under 10.5.4. But my performance took about a 5 percent hit. My XBench score in now 192. Re-coding a flash movie into AVC MP4 went from 3:35 to 3:48. All scores were averaged three times.

The difference seems to be that 10.5.5 didn't mess with my kext drivers before and is overwriting them now.

So any help with the above issues would be appreciated, but my question is how does the 3870 perform with real world applications? I am not a PC gamer (I use my PS3, sorry PC fanboys), but require the acceleration for final cut express (legally purchased BTW, just like I purchased a copy of Leopard)? Also, how does it work under 10.5.5? There is conflicting data on other posts and forums as to whether it works natively under 10.5.3 or 10.5.4, or requires special kexts.

I believe that the 3870 is my key forward with system updates as I am reaching the end of the road with the 1950XT (at least until jcool pulls another rabbit out of his hat). Any help will be appreciated.

Motherboard: Asus P5E-VM DO

Processor: Q9550 Quad Core Overclocked mildly to 3.0 GHz with Cooler Master Fan

GPU: HIS ICEQ 1950XT

RAM: 8 GB DDR2-800

Optical Drive: Lite-On SATA DVD Burner

Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 320 GB

PSU: Seasonic Modular 600W

Case: Thermaltake Lanbox

I am going to try this method this weekend: http://forum.insanelymac.com/lofiversion/i...hp/t126595.html

It sounds good, though I am not certain as to which kexts I need to back up. I suppose I will back up all graphics related kexts. Does anyone know which kexts should be backed up to fix my problem of SATA internal drives being identified as orange externals?