[HOWTO] Two cards, one supported by osx, another one is not.

netkas

49 posts in this topic

It just won't work that way with my mobo. Cause if add my Radeon 5850 (of course for Windows gaming) to my Nvidia GT 220 (Mac compatible), the fan cools like gone bananas, equal in which PCI-slot I put it. Please help me.

Greetings, Bene

how do you make your GT220 work? I mean, do you use EFI String, GraphicsEnabler?? you should check that GraphicsEnabler is set to NO in the com.apple.Boot.plist

keep posting updates and I'll try to make it work

Hello Mitalca, thank you for your answer.

In the meantime I managed to turn down the fan speed of my 5850 to an at least bearable level by disabling GraphicsEnabler and using an EFI-String. But the 5850's fan still runs on a level I can't bear when editing music.

Is there any possibility to set the fan speed of the 5850 to zero when booting into my hackintosh? I'm always using the GT220 as init gfx in BIOS when booting into Mac, so the Mobo won't connect to the 5850 and it's fan keeps running on the same level as it runs, when I turn on the computer. And if I left the 5850 set as init gfx, I'd get a kernel panic.

Greetings, Bene

I don't think you can go as drastically as you want. After all, the 5850 is connected to the mobo, so it's getting power from it.

The one thing I can think about is trying to do some custom fan adjustments under windows, but directly on the bios of the card. I'm not sure if there's a program available right now to do it that works with the 5800 series

Maybe you can at least download something like rivatuner or ati tray tools, and try to reproduce the same noise levels, so at least we can know the % of RPMs the ATI is working at under MacOs (somthing like GPU-Z + Furmark might do the trick too)

Then, we'll know at what bios setting is the ATI defaulting to under MacOs

keep posting and I'll keep trying to help you

This sounds similar to what I want to do, but not exactly. I'm about to build an i7 machine. For the graphics, I plan on ordering 2 x ATI 5770 cards to put in crossfire. I understand that these cards are not yet supported in OS X. I have an Nvidia 8800GTS lying around that I want to put in my 3rd PCI Express x16 slot (the motherboard has 4) to use in OS X. Will it be possible to get this to work? Has anybody done this? I would like a confirmation on this before I order this computer, otherwise I might change my plans a bit. Thanks in advance for any feedback!

you could really do a little investigation in your motherboard of chocie

what you want is some Mother that lets you select in the bios wich PCIE Port is the main one, so you can put your 8800 in that one

Then, you should be OK

The only problem left would be to keep the ATI cards as quiet as possible

-------------

Bane, are you on Leo or Snow Leo??

you could really do a little investigation in your motherboard of chocie

what you want is some Mother that lets you select in the bios wich PCIE Port is the main one, so you can put your 8800 in that one

Then, you should be OK

The only problem left would be to keep the ATI cards as quiet as possible

-------------

Bane, are you on Leo or Snow Leo??

Only ATI is affected by the fan speed problem?

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Alright,

Ive been looking for a solution for about a month now to my problem..

Operating systems:

Windows 7

10.6.2 running [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url]

Graphics:

PEG1: nvidia 9600GT

PEG2: xfx 5750 radeon

Motherboard:

Asus P5Q Deluxe motherboard

P5Q doesnt have the ability to choose between PEG1 and PEG2, only PCI/PEG and vice versa.

Currently if you are running any type of P5Q series board this wont work as far as i can tell, UNLESS you have a PCI card and an PCI-E (PEG).

IF i switch my xfx radeon card with the 9600GT i can get it to detect in windows 7 but not in 10.6.2. This is because the P5Q when booting looks for the first card, once it finds it; it quits looking. Which is why Windows 7 and OSX will take whatever card is in the first PCI-E slot.

Currently the only solution is either:

Run a PCI/PCI-E combo setup (and flip the PCI/PEG setting for whichever OS you're going to run)

Switch the cards out manually when you want to boot into either or.

Hopefully the end of June/July timeframe Apple will release their new products and a 5xxxx series card will be in the mix.

I have a hp notebook with geforce 6150, which is not supported, but I buy a ExpressCard to Pci-E 1X card (the ViDock), and put in a supported nvidia card. This setup works fine under Windows 7, I can get both display out. (but not for WinXP, because it would complain of some conflict..)

So is it possible to change the built in video into #2 instead of #1..?

someone in the other thread sugested this: http://www.techpowerup.com/rbe/

what might be usefull with that RBE program is the fix for the spin up when starting your PC. From what many have said, if you do the dual cards (one supported, one HD5000 unsupported), the HD5000 just spin up and never cames down. Maybe with that fix, the card would never spin up on startup?

Anyone cares to give it a try?

• 1 month later...

Hi. Helpful topic. I wanted to know about this stuff for ages.

I came from having a GTX 275 which worked fine for SL 10.6

Now I have a GTX 470

My mobo is the Gigabyte X58 UD5.

Can I simply plug and play to install OSX on one drive and Windows 7 on another?

In other words, GTX 470 for Windows, and utilize the power of the GTX 275 also for Windows as a second card (maybe for physx?)

and the GTX 275 strictly for MAC OSX when that boots up?

Any help on this much appreciated. Thank you

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

hmm.. sounds possible to use it as a physx card, but not dual gpu. you need two of the same model card to do that.

i was thinking of soldering an ON/OFF switch between the power supply and the windows-only video card.

that way when you want to boot into OSX, you can cut the power to the windows card, and when you want to boot into windows, you just leave them both running and use something like this https://www.belkin.com/au/IWCatProductPage....oduct_Id=530062 so that you don't need to plug the monitor into the other card each time you alternate OS's.

thoughts?

• 10 months later...

Glad this post exists as I'm about to upgrade my card for Win7 but the new one isn't supported in OSX.

I have a Gigabyte ex58-ud3r and run OSX and Win7 on separate drives, both use my ATI 4870 and it works fairly flawlessly in OSX. I'm upgrading my GPU to a Nvidia GTX570 and hope to still be able to run OSX well while I transition to primarily Win7 (leaving final cut and going to adobe, win7 has better better cuda options... plus I really like gaming). I'll update when I get the card and try it out.

• 10 months later...

i got a GA-H67M-D2-B3 rev. 1.1 F5

core i3 2100

i have to GPU that i would like to use in my mackintosh, 1. GeForce 210 Zogis 512vram and

2. Geforce GT520 evga 1vram

i got problems using in Mountain Lion and i would like to test if can i use those GPU simultaneously.

what do you advise me?

• 2 years later...

I'm bringing out this topic out of the dust, as it covers kind of the initial title. 

I have 2 GPUs in a 2006 MacPro(1,1) (flashed to 2,1) - One Radeon 7970 (for Yosemite) and the original nVidia 7300(for BootScreen). 

I want to keep both cards inside the case, so at later stage to move to dual boot solution. 

The question is, how I can disable/blacklist the 7300 after OSX has booted? In windows there is the option to disable a hardware device... does something similar exist in OSX?

• 1 year later...

Does anyone know the proper settings to do something similar with a non-graphics related PCI devices? I have a pci audio card that takes up two pci slots that I put into my hackintosh that was working fine. I want the pci device for windows (dual boot machine) but I don't want to have to remove the device to boot osx.

What would be the proper boot settings to be able to still boot osx with removing pci device?

Hello,

I have found this tread too late, and I don't know if it is still active.

I have posted mine on the other subforum, I'll just repeat my question.

Is it possible to build an Hackintosh with dual boot on two different SSD for mac OS10.11 El Capitan, and Windows 7,

but also with two different independent graphic cards: Nvidia Quadro K4000 3G only for Mac, and Nvidia GTX 1060 6G only for Windows?

Usage: video editing 4K and gaming on Windows, and video editing and music on Mac.

My components:

MB ASUS X99 A-II

Intel I 7 6800K 3,4Ghz

RAM HyperX Savage Black Series 16 Go (2 x 8 Go) - DDR4 2400 MHz Cas 12

Power Seasonic Platinum +  660W

Nvidia Quadro k4000 PNY 3G (PC version) to be used for MacOS

Nvidia GeForce gtx KFA 1060 6G to be used for windows

SSD Samsung M2 950 Pro 256G (Win)

SSD Sandisk Ultra II 250G (Mac)

Case Fractal Design Define 5

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.