zedzed

zedzed

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 280 posts
I have a Pentium D 940 CPU which has SSE3
System Profiler does not see SSE3 working

I have read this thread and I still don't know how to enable SSE3.

Can someone give us retard-proof instructions on how to enable SSE3

Thanks

Zed

Kiko

Kiko

You Dont Understand Me

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,889 posts
Get a kernel without a sse3 emulator, (usuallly you can do this when you install after clicking Customise, you only slect one patch not both, only the sse3 one)

zedzed

zedzed

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 280 posts
Kiko - thanks for the info.

Is there a way to enable it after the installation is complete?
A friend of mine customized all my kexts and everything is working nicely now
and I don't want to lose all the customization

Is there anything that can be done after an install is completed?

I just installed the 10.4.7 JAS upgrade and I still don't have SSE3

fluffy69

fluffy69

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts
i would like to know the same. i've got a pentium 4 prescott with sse3 and my installation shows the cpu using only sse and sse2. will things speed up much if i reinstall with a new kernel? i'm asking because having to configure a new installation takes loads of time.

Biku

Biku

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

Hi guys, i have X2 AMD processor@2.75GHz... and it's SS3 Capable: why i don't see on the system profiler? (i see it on cpuz).

i'm using jas' 10.4.7 osx. the same situation. i've tried amd enabler patch but it doesn't work for me.

reghost

reghost

The Holy Frijole!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 187 posts
  • Interests:Audio Production, Graphic Desing, Beta Testing
hey guys, do you think its the dvd we used to do the install? ive used the 10.4.4 disk and it doesnt give me an sse2 or sse3 option but my 10.4.6 disk does, but 10.4.6 never works correctly after install. i have a pentium d 945 and it has sse3 under windows. ive also tried copying the sse3 package from the 10.4.6 disk but it totally screws up my osx.

consolation

consolation

I am not expendable, I'm not stupid and I'm not going.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 878 posts
Is there any benefit to using a SSE4 processor?
I mean a SSSE3... I really wish intel stuck with SSE4 label, have you tried saying SSSE3 out loud... jebus

dechamp

dechamp

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I finally got SSE3 to work with my Pentium 4 630 3Ghz. I've got a Asus P5GV-MX with 2GB ram and a couple of SATA drives. I'd used this CPU chip on another motherboard with an old Goatsex DVD and had SSE3, but when I bought an ATI X1600 PCIe card I found the old MB had a bad PCIe slot and the onboard sound and X200 were not supported.

Put this rig together and the onboard nic, sound, sata, usb work great. I added a cheap PCI firewire card and have front and back firewire and usb in this Sonata case. The X1600 is supported by Jas 10.4.7 (what a dream job - Jas the Man!). Everything works if I install and just choose the SSE2 patch. The SSE3 patch stopped the machine from booting and I got the blinking cursor. Spend a couple days reading and working on activating the boot partition - that's not it for me.

This motherboard bios has an option under Advanced/CPU Configuration/Max CPUID Value Limit - Mine was enabled. I disabled the option and was able to install 10.4.7 with the SSE3 patch and boot fine. When I re-enabled the option I got Kernal Panics. Cool, turn it off...

The description of the option from ASUS: Enable to Boot Legacy OSes unable to support CPUs with extended CPUID functions.

I guess thats for an OS that doesn't deal with hyperthreading or the prefetch or something?

Now I'm stoked! Got a 91.84 with xBench 1.3 and I'm looking at the Jas 10.4.8 for SSE3 update right now:)

One nice thing about this MB is the F8 option at post brings up a boot selector to choose which drive to boot from. I set up the Mac drive as the default in the bios, but can just choose the WinXP drive on the fly without going into the bios and changing the drive order. No partitions or boot loaders to install, configure and deal with later... You can still use the F8 key for Safe Boot with XP if you wait until the post is done.

I love the Macs, but my old Dual G4 is getting a little long in the tooth and I'm not going to buy a MacIntel until the 3rd generation Intel CPU's are in next spring.

You guys have saved my ass on every turn and decision. I read and read, now I can't stop crowing:)

consolation

consolation

I am not expendable, I'm not stupid and I'm not going.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 878 posts
[quote name='dechamp' date='Oct 5 2006, 07:50 PM' post='202604']

Is system profiler showing SSE3?

dechamp

dechamp

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Yes, it seems to have the whole alphabet of instruction sets.
Attached File  Picture_1.gif   8.83KB   438 downloads

[idkfa]

[idkfa]

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts
PAE is definitely required, isn't it? But how can I make VMWare support this? Even if I add PAEVM = true to my .vmx-file, it still comes up with the same old error.
I have a Pentium M 1.3GHz Banias.

tyre777

tyre777

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
@idkfa- sorry mate- i think for older pentium M models- you have to install em natively..

joe75

joe75

Renegade

• Retired
  • 2,286 posts
You have to have at least SSE2 for native install :2cents:

Doosje

Doosje

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
I don't know whereelse i can ask this but i hope someone with some good knowlegde can reply.

I've installed the 10.4.7 JAS iso with SSE2 but .. i recently found out that my CPU has SSE3 also (but isn't showing in the "system profiler" (maybe because i didn't install the SSE3 package?))

I've also installed the 10.4.8 package .. JaS.10.4.8.Update.Intel.SSE2.Only.pkg

Can i upgrade to the SSE3 package over the current package without losing anything or breaking something.

The other question is .. what are the advantages..

morwyn

morwyn

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
Question for you all... I'm about to install 10.4.6 (Jas's), the 10.4.7 update & the 10.4.8 updates. My cpu has SSE3, but I have a Dell and I think I read somewhere that I still have to install just the SSE2 patches, is that right? I read it awhile back and can't really remember the thread, so I need to make sure before I take the plunge... thanks.

Nevermind. I did confirm it, but Jas just uploaded 10.4.8 full install and it supports SSE3 on Dell's, so looks like I have some downloading to do... :(

Prasys

Prasys

Cheese Cheese cheese

• Retired Developers
  • 338 posts
you can get OSX 10.4.7 or older versions if you want. You just have to fall back to SSE2 Kernel. Bear in mind , SSE3 is still there and you could run iTunes and many other programs without a hitch !

Nailson The Brazilian

Nailson The Brazilian

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
do you know where can i find a sse3 > sse2 patch?

the Maxxus.tk was closed, and i`m looking for...

my CPU is a Pentium M 740 1.73 with sse2 instruction...

thanks! :)

PapaDocta

PapaDocta

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
ok guyz i have been reading a lot and can't find a solution for my problem... my processor supports SSE2/SSE3 and i checked the SSE3 kernel while installing but still when installing finishes i get SSE2 only.. i'm using Jas 10.4.6 DVD ... what could be the problem.. plzzzzzzz help
i want to enable QE/CI and get better video play back..

mother board
p4p800SE
video card Asus V8200 Geforce 3 64MB...
P4 3.0 Ghz HT prescott

and the weird thing is, when i update my 10.4.6 to 10.4.8 i use Jas SSE3 combo update and it works fine... but still no SSE3... and if use JaS SSE2 combo update still it works fine..

anyone Please!

errors

errors

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
man, screw this... :) I can't take it any longer, I'm getting a MacBook... I don't like Windows, and Vista has just pissed me off. You have to have a new 2007 system to even think about running it...I'm making the switch...although, it will probably be a switch to tri-boot with OSX, Vista, and Linux... you just can't get around today without windows... :dev: or... what would you all suggest? If I was to get a new PC laptop, which would be the best for running OSX natively?

paul.campisi

paul.campisi

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

1st off:

*No one with less then SSE2 has any chance

*SSE3 is preferred and will run rosetta the fastest.

*SSE2 can run os x intel but with patches such as in coregraphics, there now are new patches that will allow rosetta to run.

If you need to find information on if you proccesor contains sse2 or sse3 please download CPU-Z from HERE

---thanks sportman :)

I had it running on a pentium 4 willie core cpu with sdram...it was slow as hell but it ran

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy