SSE2 and SSE3 information PLEASE READ

sportman

154 posts in this topic

hey guys, do you think its the dvd we used to do the install? ive used the 10.4.4 disk and it doesnt give me an sse2 or sse3 option but my 10.4.6 disk does, but 10.4.6 never works correctly after install. i have a pentium d 945 and it has sse3 under windows. ive also tried copying the sse3 package from the 10.4.6 disk but it totally screws up my osx.

I finally got SSE3 to work with my Pentium 4 630 3Ghz. I've got a Asus P5GV-MX with 2GB ram and a couple of SATA drives. I'd used this CPU chip on another motherboard with an old Goatsex DVD and had SSE3, but when I bought an ATI X1600 PCIe card I found the old MB had a bad PCIe slot and the onboard sound and X200 were not supported.

Put this rig together and the onboard nic, sound, sata, usb work great. I added a cheap PCI firewire card and have front and back firewire and usb in this Sonata case. The X1600 is supported by Jas 10.4.7 (what a dream job - Jas the Man!). Everything works if I install and just choose the SSE2 patch. The SSE3 patch stopped the machine from booting and I got the blinking cursor. Spend a couple days reading and working on activating the boot partition - that's not it for me.

This motherboard bios has an option under Advanced/CPU Configuration/Max CPUID Value Limit - Mine was enabled. I disabled the option and was able to install 10.4.7 with the SSE3 patch and boot fine. When I re-enabled the option I got Kernal Panics. Cool, turn it off...

The description of the option from ASUS: Enable to Boot Legacy OSes unable to support CPUs with extended CPUID functions.

I guess thats for an OS that doesn't deal with hyperthreading or the prefetch or something?

Now I'm stoked! Got a 91.84 with xBench 1.3 and I'm looking at the Jas 10.4.8 for SSE3 update right now:)

One nice thing about this MB is the F8 option at post brings up a boot selector to choose which drive to boot from. I set up the Mac drive as the default in the bios, but can just choose the WinXP drive on the fly without going into the bios and changing the drive order. No partitions or boot loaders to install, configure and deal with later... You can still use the F8 key for Safe Boot with XP if you wait until the post is done.

I love the Macs, but my old Dual G4 is getting a little long in the tooth and I'm not going to buy a MacIntel until the 3rd generation Intel CPU's are in next spring.

You guys have saved my ass on every turn and decision. I read and read, now I can't stop crowing:)

I don't know whereelse i can ask this but i hope someone with some good knowlegde can reply.

I've installed the 10.4.7 JAS iso with SSE2 but .. i recently found out that my CPU has SSE3 also (but isn't showing in the "system profiler" (maybe because i didn't install the SSE3 package?))

I've also installed the 10.4.8 package .. JaS.10.4.8.Update.Intel.SSE2.Only.pkg

Can i upgrade to the SSE3 package over the current package without losing anything or breaking something.

The other question is .. what are the advantages..

Question for you all... I'm about to install 10.4.6 (Jas's), the 10.4.7 update & the 10.4.8 updates. My cpu has SSE3, but I have a Dell and I think I read somewhere that I still have to install just the SSE2 patches, is that right? I read it awhile back and can't really remember the thread, so I need to make sure before I take the plunge... thanks.

Nevermind. I did confirm it, but Jas just uploaded 10.4.8 full install and it supports SSE3 on Dell's, so looks like I have some downloading to do... :(

you can get OSX 10.4.7 or older versions if you want. You just have to fall back to SSE2 Kernel. Bear in mind , SSE3 is still there and you could run iTunes and many other programs without a hitch !

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

ok guyz i have been reading a lot and can't find a solution for my problem... my processor supports SSE2/SSE3 and i checked the SSE3 kernel while installing but still when installing finishes i get SSE2 only.. i'm using Jas 10.4.6 DVD ... what could be the problem.. plzzzzzzz help

i want to enable QE/CI and get better video play back..

mother board

p4p800SE

video card Asus V8200 Geforce 3 64MB...

P4 3.0 Ghz HT prescott

and the weird thing is, when i update my 10.4.6 to 10.4.8 i use Jas SSE3 combo update and it works fine... but still no SSE3... and if use JaS SSE2 combo update still it works fine..

anyone Please!

man, screw this... :) I can't take it any longer, I'm getting a MacBook... I don't like Windows, and Vista has just pissed me off. You have to have a new 2007 system to even think about running it...I'm making the switch...although, it will probably be a switch to tri-boot with OSX, Vista, and Linux... you just can't get around today without windows... :dev: or... what would you all suggest? If I was to get a new PC laptop, which would be the best for running OSX natively?

• 3 weeks later...
1st off:

*No one with less then SSE2 has any chance

*SSE3 is preferred and will run rosetta the fastest.

*SSE2 can run os x intel but with patches such as in coregraphics, there now are new patches that will allow rosetta to run.

If you need to find information on if you proccesor contains sse2 or sse3 please download CPU-Z from HERE

---thanks sportman :)

I had it running on a pentium 4 willie core cpu with sdram...it was slow as hell but it ran

• 2 weeks later...
I finally got SSE3 to work with my Pentium 4 630 3Ghz. I've got a Asus P5GV-MX with 2GB ram and a couple of SATA drives. I'd used this CPU chip on another motherboard with an old Goatsex DVD and had SSE3, but when I bought an ATI X1600 PCIe card I found the old MB had a bad PCIe slot and the onboard sound and X200 were not supported.

Put this rig together and the onboard nic, sound, sata, usb work great. I added a cheap PCI firewire card and have front and back firewire and usb in this Sonata case. The X1600 is supported by Jas 10.4.7 (what a dream job - Jas the Man!). Everything works if I install and just choose the SSE2 patch. The SSE3 patch stopped the machine from booting and I got the blinking cursor. Spend a couple days reading and working on activating the boot partition - that's not it for me.

This motherboard bios has an option under Advanced/CPU Configuration/Max CPUID Value Limit - Mine was enabled. I disabled the option and was able to install 10.4.7 with the SSE3 patch and boot fine. When I re-enabled the option I got Kernal Panics. Cool, turn it off...

The description of the option from ASUS: Enable to Boot Legacy OSes unable to support CPUs with extended CPUID functions.

I guess thats for an OS that doesn't deal with hyperthreading or the prefetch or something?

Now I'm stoked! Got a 91.84 with xBench 1.3 and I'm looking at the Jas 10.4.8 for SSE3 update right now:)

One nice thing about this MB is the F8 option at post brings up a boot selector to choose which drive to boot from. I set up the Mac drive as the default in the bios, but can just choose the WinXP drive on the fly without going into the bios and changing the drive order. No partitions or boot loaders to install, configure and deal with later... You can still use the F8 key for Safe Boot with XP if you wait until the post is done.

I love the Macs, but my old Dual G4 is getting a little long in the tooth and I'm not going to buy a MacIntel until the 3rd generation Intel CPU's are in next spring.

You guys have saved my ass on every turn and decision. I read and read, now I can't stop crowing:)

Hey man, i have the same exact mobo for my Hackintosh. Everything works great, out of the box, u used the jas 1.4.6 insall dvd. yeah at first i was having the same issue, i chose the sse3 patch, and the system didnt boot, i chose the sse2 patch and everything works fine. My cpu is a P4 @2.66ghz it does have sse3. i know that sse3 is working on my install because itunes 7, etc work smooth as butter. (my old install on an AMD64 3000+ sse2 only, was quite slugish and couldnt run itunes 7) Question, have u tried overclocking your P4? i tried going to 3.2ghz, the BIOS saw it, but for some reason the mac wouldnt boot, the HD couldnt be found. went back to 2.66ghz and works just fine. im waiting for the 10.4.8 iso to finish..so i can update, maybe my system profiler will show SSE3...but other than that, this is like having a brand new mac for like $300. keep in mind that im comming from a Tibook 550 and a B&W G3 :censored2: so this feels extremely fast to me...just out of curiosity what FW PCI card are u using? im in the market for one too...

• 2 months later...

hello everyone, i'm new here and i'm sorry if i sounded really newbish or retarded. it just that this is too new to me and i've never done this before

i currently have the 10.4.3 build 8f1111 patched with wesley's patch osx

but i'm not too sure if my hardware is compatible for this change

this is the spec for my pc

sorry!

i just saw my board on the HCL 10.4.1 and not on the 10.4.3 so i'm just wondering

i'm a little confuse and just needed some small pointers

thanks in advance

cpuz.htm

Edited by somenewguy

hi guys! what about the mobo P4PE with a P4 SSE2 cpu, 2 sata hard disk (non raid, but attached to the 2 sata connectors of the promise controller), ati 8500 video card and the broadcom gigabit ethernet controller?

do you think i will be able to put osx on it?

i'm asking to know if this mobo works and with which release, 10.4.8 is too much for it?

i know also i will not have qe/ci working with 8500, but wanna try sse2 because on my second pc (the one in the sign), all is working quite well.

thank you and bye.

• 2 weeks later...
hi guys! what about the mobo P4PE with a P4 SSE2 cpu, 2 sata hard disk (non raid, but attached to the 2 sata connectors of the promise controller), ...

Hello,

YES, P4PE may run Jas 10.4.8.ppf2 and successfully update to 10.4.9 (using some Jas10.4.8 kexts)

- LAN, You MUST use a modified version of AppleBCMEthernet.kext (simply add the DeviceID 16a6 in the info.plist file)

(I've added 1645 and 1646 too, because those are 5701 and 5702 cards and the kext could support them)

- Embedded Audio (works using a patched version of AppleAC97Audio kext... try to attach the loudspeakers to the mic (light red) hole)

NO, I've not found ANY way to use the Promise 376 embedded controller, so You MUST use a parallelATA hdisk

I don't know about ATI, but You may simply install Natit and get the card working...

good luck!

;)

• 2 weeks later...

Yes and no. Yes you can run VMWare on say an AMD barton core XP2600+ family 6 modle A stepping 10 processor and run VMs all day if they are Linux, Windows, Sun Solaris, Unix etc. But OS X calls for SSE2 or higher and without a patch that removes this call in darwin I think we are basicly shopping for a new processor (and MB).

I was told 10.4.8 may be able to over come this restriction but I am still downloading. Any info would be greatly apreciated.

AJ.

Yes and no. Yes you can run VMWare on say an AMD barton core XP2600+ family 6 modle A stepping 10 processor and run VMs all day if they are Linux, Windows, Sun Solaris, Unix etc. But OS X calls for SSE2 or higher and without a patch that removes this call in darwin I think we are basicly shopping for a new processor (and MB).

I was told 10.4.8 may be able to over come this restriction but I am still downloading. Any info would be greatly apreciated.

AJ.

Angus,

It sounds like your info is a bit out of date. SSE3 emulation is now built into the kernel to support SSE2 processors such as Dothan cores, etc. There are a lot of prepatched distributions of OSX out there such as the JaS 10.4.8 distro. When installing, make sure to select the intel support (and only the intel, not AMD) and you should be good to go. Additionally, semthex and all the other hard working folks are always cranking out new and improved kernels. Of course, be a good sport and actually buy a copy of OSX if you actually make it your OS of choice as there's also a lot of guys working hard at apple to make a great OS and we need to support them.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
As far as I know - all the Semprons sold today (socket 754) are 64bit with SSE3 support.

(please correct me if I am wrong)

If you look around you can probably find an "old" Sempron that only have 32bit and SSE2 support - but they are hard to find today.

mine had sse2 and sse3, but no 64-bit :thumbsdown_anim:

amd_processor_specs.png

• 7 months later...

Hi,

Does anyone know if Enabling SSE/SSE2 would show any improvements in performance?? I got a E2160 @ 3.2GHZ it does have SSE3 of course, but I was wondering if getting them all to work would improve performance? if anyone knows that would be helpful to many people.