SSE2 and SSE3 information PLEASE READ

sportman

154 posts in this topic

Where did you find this patch? Is it on the Installation DVD? The problem is, I don't know right how to use the unix terminal. I'm very good in DOS shells, especcially AmigaDOS which is very extensive, but the unix terminal works different. It's frustrating, I'm the only one of my friends or even the complete neighbourhood who is running MacOS on his PC, cause of machine capability or the missing interest of various OS's after all. Not one here is having a Mac or maybe using Linux.

A real Mac wouldn't be possible - rather less software, no others to exchange experiences, of course the costs - and: space! I already have 10 computers, 5 monitors, over 10 external drives, 25 audio/video components, my TV, a 2nd hifi set, my keyboard, an audio mixer rack and an huge 19"-rack in my room! I'm technic junkie since I'm ten, don't ask what's in my spare rooms and under the roof! The OSx86-solution is a very good way, sharing hardware with Windows and MacOS, dual boot, good hardware support and internet seems to be much faster since today. There's nearly nothing to complain about. Only the graphics problem. The low screen rate don't bother me, but this white-window-problem is very bad.

Could you make me some kind of easy-tu-use instructions for this patch or/and to install some other patches, via terminal or so? I sometimes read the command 'sudo' in the wiki, but I don't know hw to get it work. If it would be too long for a post, perhaps as mail, look in my profile. Would be great.

GreetinX from the Other Side!

It's a K8N-E Deluxe, not a K8N4-E. This board has the Nvidia3-Chipset, 5x PCI and AGP.

Final Cut Pro HD also doesn't believe that is have an AGP graphics card :-((

Hope that somebody does better ATI drivers next time!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm confused :D

My cpu is Amd Turion ml-32 with PAE, SSE2 and SSE3 (all reported by cpu-z).

So. Do I need to put SSE3 patch to obtein better performance or I have the best already natively???

The cpu fan is always on. In windows is always off thanks to Rmclock.

I put AMD patches and powermanagement.bundle, but I have a noisy lappy using the nice OsX86.

Hi guys, back again for a long time. Here are my experiences with MacOS 10.4.6 installation. It's running on my Athlon 64 without SSE3. Let's go one.

Standard installation:

- Use custom install. Don't install other languages and printer drivers. You will about 2 GB. It speeds up installation, too.

- Install Gimp printer drivers or get an printer driver from the maufacturer's page if possible.

- install X11 if you want to use UNIX more often

- skip the DVD checking, it saves a lot of time.

Now to the 'Intel.And.AMD.Patches':

- 10.4.6.Combo.Update - Installs the 10.4.6 update. If you don't install it, your version will be 10.4.4

- Intel.SSE3/AMD.SSE3 - Install this patch on SSE3-compatible CPUs ONLY or your system crashes during boot (message: debugger call: panic)

- Intel.SSE2/AMD.SSE2 - Install this patch on SSE2-only-compatible CPUs. Don't know what happens if it's installed on an SSE3 CPU, so let it be.

- AMD.Base.System/10.4.6.SemjaZa.V1.2.AMD.Decrypts - As the name already says, these are special files only for AMD CPUs.

- Soundblaster.USB.Audio.Support - Is clear, I think. If you don't use Soundblaster USB Audio, don't install the driver.

- 10.4.6.GMA900.Support - Graphic drivers for notebooks with Intel GMA900 graphics

- 10.4.6.Radeon.Mobility.Support - Same for ATI Radeon Mobility. Don't use both on desktops PCs.

- Wireless.Networking.Spport - Says all, but don't tested it, using only cable LAN.

- Sigmatel9220.Audio.Support - Install only if you have Sigmatel 9220 audio chip on your board. As I installed it on my nVidia3 Chipset I had no sound.

- VIA.Sata.ATA - Install if you have a VIA or nVidia SATA onboard. But there's a trick neccessary to use it for long.

After the installation I didn't got the 'welcome'-introduction with sound and gfx, maybe the patches are using too much space on the DVD or it's a problem with the graphics port.

Now to the SATA support. It works the first time, but at the next booting it won't anymore, you'll get an error message that the file was installed improperly.

To avoid this, set the file "/System/Library/Extensions/AppleVIAATA.kext" as read-only for ALL users, even the system. So it isn't changeable anymore and SATA is running properly.

Maybe this helps to some installation problems. My problems are still graphics, my Radeon X1600 is still not recognized as an AGP card (the GeCube Radeon X1600 passive cooled is a great card!). Maybe the CoreGraphics problem. The nVidia3 LAN is not supported, and internet browsing is still awfully slow. Has someone a solution for this?

Ok Same question here. I have an hp dc5100 P4 w/ sse,sse2 and sse3 under windows but osx only show sse, sse2 and ss, so this means i dont have 3 enabled?

ah man i just screwed everything up!! i found a copy of the so called "orignal coregraphics file" and replaced the patched coregraphics file i had on my laptop. supposedly since my copy of x had sse3 patched to work on sse2. now it boots but the screen blinks endlessly and it doesnt pick up the built in kb or an external one either. i tried getting in in safe mode but same {censored} happend. im stuck now. i did remember to backup the original core image on my desktop but i can figure out how to copy it back to its original location. HELP! :(

hey, turn on your computer but keep tapping F8 until the darwin bootloader comes up. type: "-s" without the quotes. This boots you into single user mode. once it is done loading, you will see instructions on the screen for file access. follow them character for character. then you will have permission to change files. then do this:

mv /System/Library/Extensions/CoreGFXfileYouMessedUp.kext /System/Library/Extensions/CoreGFXfileYouMessedUp.kext.Disabled
cp -R /users/YourUserName/Desktop/Original.kext /System/Library/Extensions/
chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/OriginalKextFile.kext
chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/OriginalKextFile.kext
rm /System/Library/Extensions.*
kextcache -k /System/Library/Extensions
reboot

that should work as long as you replace everything thats obviously wrong with what you know to be correct, like your username and the complete names of the kext files.

Good Luck.

Hey Guys! Check THIS post: http://forum.osx86project.org/index.php?sh...pic=17767&st=13

It explains how to hack the ATI.kexts to use the Radeon X1600 and compatibles in ALL modes you want. And it's working with AGP, too, exept that the card is only regognized as PCI. I now have on my machine with my geCube X1600 a resolution of 1600x1200 in 85Hz! Resolution swapping works too, f.e. for iTunes. Test it!

Some tips: To edit the files, copy them to another drive and edit them there, copy after editing back to the /System/Library/Extensions folder. The ID of your graphics card you can find in the System profiler.

Here's how to activate nForce 3/4 LAN: http://forum.osx86project.org/index.php?showtopic=12933

Your CPU must minimal support the SSE2 or SSE3 chipset. Yours has SSE3 which is best for MacOS X. Try a 10.4.5 installation, the 10.4.6 version has some problems.

Hi Guys! Now it's it: I've got it running: MacOS 10.4.7 !!!

Using the Myzar 10.4.6 Image with the 10.4.7 Update. The image is much better than the 10.4.6 HOTiSO image. It has full support for nForce 3/4 Network and SATA. With the patches for the ATI X1000-series I have now full graphics, including resolution selection and Quartz Extreme/Core Graphics support. Even the 'White-Window'-problem with which I always had problems is gone. GREAT!!!

I tested four different images, this is what I found out:

MacOSX_10.4.4DVDPATCHED_Myz.iso: Installs version 10.4.5, after changing some drivers I got a debugger panic. Not recommended.

Mac OS X 10.4.5 AMD prepatched: A good 10.4.5 install DVD, no problems at all

[??????].Mac.OS.X.Tiger.10.4.6.X86.iso: 10.4.5 installation with selectable Updates/SSE drivers for AMD or Intel CPUs, and some more drivers. But nForce3 SATA disappears after the first reboot, no nForce 3 LAN support, external forcedeth driver disapperas sometimes. I do not recommend this image.

Osx 10.4.6 Myzar Ppf4.iso: Very good 10.4.6 install image. Full nForce 3/4 support. If you want to install 10.4.6, use this image.

I'm using two systems on my HD: a 250 GB main partition and a 10 GB partition for testing. A test partition is VERY useful. Who wants to test AGP Gart drivers, look here: http://forum.osx86project.org/index.php?sh...device&st=0 After installing this driver, my card is recognized as AGP, but I have no Quartz Exteme/Core Image support anymore. Hmmm....

My processor supports SSE3 but sys. profiler only shoes SSE2. How can I fix this?

I am using HOTiSO 10.4.6.

Ravi7791: I had the same problem. My Athlon 64 3700+ Socket 939 also supports SSE3 (shown in CPU-Z), but in the System Profiler it was sonly shown SSE2. Don't care about it.

• 3 weeks later...

My processor supports SSE3, but after installing the SSE3 patched mach_kernel the system just kernel panics. I ixed it by booting with teh installer disc and copying the mach_kernel from the disc to the hard drive.. once botoed, I used pacifist to restore the updated sse2 patched kernel and all was well.. but.. why can't I get sse3 to work?

with SSE only (athlon xp 2800+ barton) I only got to the first thing, but no debugger was found and it hangs. What a pity. Hopefully Apple gets it better without SSE2, but my guess is that this won't be happening...

Pity!!!

You will never see it happen.

There are no newer CPUS that don't have SSE2. The original OSX was never x86 archexture. So, apple never needed to worry about this until the Intel chips came in. The Core solos, and duos both have sse3, but Mac bios. So, mac doesn't need to worry much about SSE2, and SSE3. Mac will never run perfect on SSE2 instructions. It was never designed to. And, no Athlon XPs have SSE2.(Which if you didn't get it, no SSE3 either.) That's what made the XP models so cheap.And now, you can get 64-bit AMD athlon 64s for near $100 now. With, or without SSE3.Depending on the socket configuration. And, the clocked speeds in AMDs and Intels case means nothing. AMDs cpus may not be clocked as fast as Intels, but can perform more. Same with ATIs and Nvidias. Nvidias are clocked faster, and can handle more pixel pipelines, but ATIs can handle HELL of a lot more shaders.

• 4 weeks later...

I have a Pentium D 940 CPU which has SSE3

System Profiler does not see SSE3 working

I have read this thread and I still don't know how to enable SSE3.

Can someone give us retard-proof instructions on how to enable SSE3

Thanks

Zed

Kiko - thanks for the info.

Is there a way to enable it after the installation is complete?

A friend of mine customized all my kexts and everything is working nicely now

and I don't want to lose all the customization

Is there anything that can be done after an install is completed?

I just installed the 10.4.7 JAS upgrade and I still don't have SSE3

• 2 weeks later...

i would like to know the same. i've got a pentium 4 prescott with sse3 and my installation shows the cpu using only sse and sse2. will things speed up much if i reinstall with a new kernel? i'm asking because having to configure a new installation takes loads of time.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi guys, i have X2 AMD processor@2.75GHz... and it's SS3 Capable: why i don't see on the system profiler? (i see it on cpuz).

i'm using jas' 10.4.7 osx. the same situation. i've tried amd enabler patch but it doesn't work for me.