sportman

sportman

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
1st off:

*No one with less then SSE2 has any chance

*SSE3 is preferred and will run rosetta the fastest.

*SSE2 can run os x intel but with patches such as in coregraphics, there now are new patches that will allow rosetta to run.

If you need to find information on if you proccesor contains sse2 or sse3 please download CPU-Z from HERE

---thanks sportman :)

zhLilDoggi

zhLilDoggi

Former Admin of OSX86 Project.

• Retired
  • 199 posts
I read somewhere somebody has it running on a SSE cpu, so I'm going out to confirm that. *cough* slow torrents *cough*

lanbo

lanbo

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

I read somewhere somebody has it running on a SSE cpu, so I'm going out to confirm that. *cough* slow torrents *cough*

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

So? Did you read it well?

zhLilDoggi

zhLilDoggi

• Retired
  • 199 posts
Yeah.

oxtobyd

oxtobyd

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts
soooo, how do u get it 2 work on SSE only?

zhLilDoggi

zhLilDoggi

• Retired
  • 199 posts
Not there yet, still downloading. <_<

HeavyMetaler

HeavyMetaler

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
qemu

oxtobyd

oxtobyd

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts

qemu

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

whats the performance like, since i assume you'd be running Windoze, the Qemu on top of that and then Darwin/OSX within qemu?

since i know PearPC was brilliant, just toooo slow to enjoy.

Ta

pet1

pet1

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 269 posts
  • Interests:Trax and Hax
Any progress with sse?

zhLilDoggi

zhLilDoggi

• Retired
  • 199 posts
:P I hate torrents.

morex

morex

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
So, I remember yearrrrrs ago, back in the days when x86's didn't have built-in math co-processors, there was (at least one) software-based math-coprocessor *emulator*, which loaded as a TSR under DOS. Sure, it was far slower than having a real 387 chip next to your 386, but it worked well enough to make apps which *required* a 387 think it was installed.

Is something similar to this this even remotely feasable, under OSX, for SSE3 instructions on a non-SSE3 capable cpu?

oxtobyd

oxtobyd

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts

So, I remember yearrrrrs ago, back in the days when x86's didn't have built-in math co-processors, there was (at least one) software-based math-coprocessor *emulator*, which loaded as a TSR under DOS.  Sure, it was far slower than having a real 387 chip next to your 386, but it worked well enough to make apps which *required* a 387 think it was installed.

Is something similar to this this even remotely feasable, under OSX, for SSE3 instructions on a non-SSE3 capable cpu?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

gemu seems to be the route for this, though i've not tried it yet, but by all accounts its as slow if not slower than running osx in pearpc.

mind u next ver. of pearpc 0.4 is due soon and thats supposed to bring a load of new features and speed improvements.

oxtobyd

oxtobyd

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts

Any progress with sse?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i made some progress on this, but i can only get the Darwin core up and no GUI, since i'm guessing the GUI engine calls the SSE2 instructions, therefore without some major recompile work or emulation then no hope. i'm hunting for a cheap SSE3 CPU & Mobo.

pet1

pet1

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 269 posts
  • Interests:Trax and Hax
Well, good to know that people are trying for sse. If it's just mathamatically not possible then what can we do? But it would be nice to have it running on sse. There's a LOT of athlon xp users out there.

zhLilDoggi

zhLilDoggi

• Retired
  • 199 posts
Yep, the GUI DOES call for SSE2. Sorry SSE people, you've got QEMU (slow as hell) and PearPC (also slow as hell).

elpresidente

elpresidente

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

1st off:

*No one with less then sse2 has any chance

*SSE3 is perferred and will run rosetta the fastest.

*SSE2 can run os x intel but with patches such as in coregraphics, there now are new patches that will allow rosetta to run.

If you need to find information on if you proccesor contains sse2 or sse3 please download CPU-Z from HERE

---thanks sportman :(

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Is it possible to check for this within Linux?

al_broccoli

al_broccoli

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Is it possible to check for this within Linux?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

fatbastard:~ # grep flags /proc/cpuinfo
flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe cid xtpr

Blackice

Blackice

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Yep, the GUI DOES call for SSE2. Sorry SSE people, you've got QEMU (slow as hell) and PearPC (also slow as hell).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

... and VMWare (faster, but still slow)

PapaSmurf

PapaSmurf

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
arg my overclocked barton 2500 with 1gb of corsair and raid array has more than enough power if only apple wasnt so {censored} retarded in encoding something explicitley for sse2 it's an extension no program let alone operating system should DEPEND on it's presence. but then again apple never intended it to run on anything but new intel hardware which is sad and a leaves out amd. AMD has some great technology but it doesnt have the resources intel does to push out the new designs and research smaller manufacturing processes, I read intel has perfected it's .45 process if only amd had the funds to pursue that then they could really give intel a run for its' money. Not that apple is a big fish anymore it's not a lot of bussiness really for intel but anyways the point of the whole rant is this blows I love my barton and apple should have kept their options open by compiling this so that sse2 and 3 COULD be used if they were there but so that it would not DEPEND on them. What if they do decide to liscense this out to pc's they'll loose bussiness.

joostpossemiers

joostpossemiers

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts

... and VMWare (faster, but still slow)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You can't use VMWare when you only have SSE, can you?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy