SSE2 and SSE3 information PLEASE READ

sportman

154 posts in this topic

1st off:

*No one with less then SSE2 has any chance

*SSE3 is preferred and will run rosetta the fastest.

*SSE2 can run os x intel but with patches such as in coregraphics, there now are new patches that will allow rosetta to run.

If you need to find information on if you proccesor contains sse2 or sse3 please download CPU-Z from HERE

---thanks sportman :)

So, I remember yearrrrrs ago, back in the days when x86's didn't have built-in math co-processors, there was (at least one) software-based math-coprocessor *emulator*, which loaded as a TSR under DOS. Sure, it was far slower than having a real 387 chip next to your 386, but it worked well enough to make apps which *required* a 387 think it was installed.

Is something similar to this this even remotely feasable, under OSX, for SSE3 instructions on a non-SSE3 capable cpu?

So, I remember yearrrrrs ago, back in the days when x86's didn't have built-in math co-processors, there was (at least one) software-based math-coprocessor *emulator*, which loaded as a TSR under DOS.  Sure, it was far slower than having a real 387 chip next to your 386, but it worked well enough to make apps which *required* a 387 think it was installed.

Is something similar to this this even remotely feasable, under OSX, for SSE3 instructions on a non-SSE3 capable cpu?

gemu seems to be the route for this, though i've not tried it yet, but by all accounts its as slow if not slower than running osx in pearpc.

mind u next ver. of pearpc 0.4 is due soon and thats supposed to bring a load of new features and speed improvements.

Well, good to know that people are trying for sse. If it's just mathamatically not possible then what can we do? But it would be nice to have it running on sse. There's a LOT of athlon xp users out there.

1st off:

*No one with less then sse2 has any chance

*SSE3 is perferred and will run rosetta the fastest.

*SSE2 can run os x intel but with patches such as in coregraphics, there now are new patches that will allow rosetta to run.

If you need to find information on if you proccesor contains sse2 or sse3 please download CPU-Z from HERE

---thanks sportman :(

Is it possible to check for this within Linux?

arg my overclocked barton 2500 with 1gb of corsair and raid array has more than enough power if only apple wasnt so {censored} retarded in encoding something explicitley for sse2 it's an extension no program let alone operating system should DEPEND on it's presence. but then again apple never intended it to run on anything but new intel hardware which is sad and a leaves out amd. AMD has some great technology but it doesnt have the resources intel does to push out the new designs and research smaller manufacturing processes, I read intel has perfected it's .45 process if only amd had the funds to pursue that then they could really give intel a run for its' money. Not that apple is a big fish anymore it's not a lot of bussiness really for intel but anyways the point of the whole rant is this blows I love my barton and apple should have kept their options open by compiling this so that sse2 and 3 COULD be used if they were there but so that it would not DEPEND on them. What if they do decide to liscense this out to pc's they'll loose bussiness.

arg my overclocked barton 2500 with 1gb of corsair and raid array has more than enough power if only apple wasnt so magical trevor retarded in encoding something explicitley for sse2 it's an extension no program let alone operating system should DEPEND on it's presence. but then again apple never intended it to run on anything but new intel hardware which is sad and a leaves out amd. AMD has some great technology but it doesnt have the resources intel does to push out the new designs and research smaller manufacturing processes, I read intel has perfected it's .45 process if only amd had the funds to pursue that then they could really give intel a run for its' money. Not that apple is a big fish anymore it's not a lot of bussiness really for intel but anyways the point of the whole rant is this blows I love my barton and apple should have kept their options open by compiling this so that sse2 and 3 COULD be used if they were there but so that it would not DEPEND on them. What if they do decide to liscense this out to pc's they'll loose bussiness.

So apple is redarded for making an os that you cant pirate? And theres no amd cpus with sse3? and apple somewhere has secret plans to use amd processors, without first changing their os to run on them? and apple really gives a rip if you can run a pirated version of their os on your barton, I think you should phone up apple support and complain. like common, their a hardware company (something that people need to be told over and over again) and buying other peoples hardware definantly doesnt help them. and just because sse3 is a extention doesnt be oses shouldnt be optimized for it, would you like everything to run in native 8086 mode, without any fpu extentions, incase i decide to install windows vista on my xt? next time think before ranting, apple doesnt plan on making a barton based powermac anytime in the near future, so why should they make an os that supports it?