[Guide]Intel D945GCLF2 10.5.x Retail Installation

iSynapse

447 posts in this topic

Out of curiosity, how are you guys loading Snow Leopard, using the original method or the rEFIt method?

Would it be possible for someone to explain what extra kexts are loaded and any extra steps involved in getting it loaded.

Thanks

Hello colourstobe,

You need to use a 8GB (or bigger) USB Key (or make urslf a boot132 cd with chameleon 2 rc3 cdboot)

In my case I formated the usb in GUID, installed Cham RC3 on it...and added the kexts from the pic. Boot from the usb and install ur SL.

After the installation repeat the procedure on your newly installed SL HDD. :(

post-101735-1252778017_thumb.jpg

Some of the kext are not needed....but i included them anyway... B)

I'm trying an install Snow via usb. I used the same stick to install to my desktop.

I have tried the kexts listed here on this page by iSynapse as well as ugokind's

It still KP's at either ACPIPlatform kext, or IOATAFamily.kext, this is to boot usb to install, so haven't been able to install.

Did you guys use diff kexts to install?

I really need more details on usb install method. I'm aware of the basics, I've done it for my desktop... just need more info for this board. Thanks.

Ok, Back to Leopard on this board.. for now

I did a usb install from an existing system. I installed the appropriate kexts into a separate chameleon partition on the drive.

It boots great, everything works, using a dsdt for gfx, and it works great, no need to modify any retail kexts.

However, sleep doesn't work. Finally, I did a sudo kextstat, and it turns out SleepEnabler.kext isn't loaded! I tried rebooting with -f and nothing. Finally I decided to install the kext into /S/L/E and still nothing! The system will not load the kext.

I'm beginning to think there is an issue with my install method, can this be? I did the same thing with an old laptop, and I remember the same thing happened. They both run perfect with iAtkos distro, and now when trying a retail install, can't get sleep to work. However with the old laptop, I didn't think to check if the SleepEnabler.kext was loaded. Maybe it wasn't, same as this case.

Tomorrow I will try boot-132 method, hopefully that helps... but installing through usb is so convenient! and it worked for me... but so far only for me it seems... Not on the 2 other systems I've tried it on... Oh wait! I didn't do my system through USB! It's the same method, but the drive was connected internally... So still, can it be the method that's screwing something up?

• 2 weeks later...

Bleh.

Been away from the OSx86 scene of late but decided to get back into it because I acquired a 16GB iPhone 2G at a pawn shop recently for a fantastic price. Now my focus is on potentially creating an app or two for the App Store so, that means it's time to put together yet another Hackintosh.

I read through this thread a few times and decided to grab a D945GCLF2D (yes, the non-S-Video version) and get to work. 1GB of DDR2 667 (running at 533), an old Maxtor SATA I 250GB 16MB 7200 rpm drive (yes, SATA I), a Lite-On iHAP322 optical drive, a cheap power supply, and a simple cheap USB keyboard and Microsoft Optical mouse, that's it. It's actually laid out on my bed (all of it) and hooked up to my Sony G400 19" CRT. BIOS is at defaults meaning HT is enabled.

I'm currently running 10.5.8 and it's fully updated with nothing but:

- the installation of 10.5.6 retail using Onetrack's rEFIt method, no issues to speak of. One tip: you should run the makeusb.bat file inside an Administrative Command Prompt. That is what it requires on Vista or Windows 7 - with XP it shouldn't be an issue but I wouldn't touch XP anymore if someone paid me. But anyway, do it from inside an Admin Command Prompt and it takes less than 5 seconds, no errors whatsoever.

- once the installation was finished, reboot as required, remove the DVD from the optical drive, choose the hard drive in rEFIt, boot into 10.5.6 and verify everything is working. NIC works - I don't see the need for the RealtekR1000.kext patch, the NIC works by default (at least for me), but audio was dead. Downloaded Kext Helper b7 and installed it, copied the AppleAzaliaAudio.kext from the USB stick (EFI FAT32) to the Desktop, installed it with Kext Helper, rebooted, audio works.

- at this point I have a fully working native retail 10.5.6 - and it all works without one single issue, even the audio at that point. DVD player works, GMA950 is flawless (little laggy but, hey people, this is an Atom, it's not meant to be a monster processing machine, just a low power high efficiency alternative).

- I thought about installing the 10.5.7 combo update but I knew from reading these posts that I'd end up disabling HT - could care less about that at this moment so, instead of 10.5.7, I decided to jump directly to the 10.5.8 combo update. Downloaded it, installed it, rebooted - with HT enabled - and course instant kernel panic (hey, I had to try anyway, can't learn nothing unless you do it yourself). Rebooted, reset BIOS to HT disabled, rebooted, bam, I'm starting at the fully functional 10.5.8 Destkop.

But I ain't done yet. :D

- I decided to go ahead and do a full Software Update, everything that's currently available and see what happens. Grabbed everything available, installed it, rebooted, voila... as the picture shows.

I don't understand how some people are having so many problems with the basic 10.5.6 install that Onetrack put together, and the tools he threw together to make the USB stick - and I've got no beef leaving a USB stick plugged in, they're so cheap I could go buy 10 1GB sticks for less than $20 these days if I tried. Onetrack's instructions are crystal clear and not really open for a bunch of interpretation - do what he explains step by step, you get the same results (unless your hardware is defective, of course).

But at this moment, I'm staring at a 10.5.8 fully functional Hackintosh. Once again, I'm running OSx86 just as I was way back in 2005 when this whole project got started (was using a Dell P4 laptop in those days). It's been a long time but it's nice to see things are a bit easier and the hardware works even better since I helped start all this stuff get rolling.

Not sure what else I can show in the screenshot but, here it is... good luck, folks, I've got some iPhone programming to get started on. :D

post-3900-1254911264_thumb.png

I have it working but went a totally different way. I used iPC leopard 10.5.6 and custom installed:

Intel ICHXX, REALTEK 1000, ALC622, kernel 9.5.0, PS2 KEY/MOUSE Fix, Voodoo Power, Exclude IntelCPUPower,Time machine Fix.

Everything worked right with exception to audio which needed the kext from your 2.5 bundle. I also opted for chameleon 2.0 rc3 which has a nicer bootloader. All seems good so far but occasionally it doesn't restart and the mouse seems to jump after coming out of sleep mode. Not sure if that's the ps/2 kbd issue as I don't have a usb to check against.

I installed XP on the second part afterward and reran fdisk from terminal but had to set active to part 2 this time and use the "update" then "write" command for it to work with chameleon 2 afterward.

Is there a specific kext that might fixup the sleep/restart issue?

Thanks ahead.

Thund3r

I don't understand how some people are having so many problems with the basic 10.5.6 install....

Well some has no idea what they say or do...

10.5.6 rocks! no errors at all with some tricks in DSDT/SMBIOS, the problems comes after 10.5.7/10.6, and worst 10.6.2(still in beta) instant reboots w/ or w/o HT enabled, I have to use 10. kernel and disabler...

Some fun for you guys SeedStep on Atom 330 that dosen't have EIST!:

131838504ad49f0a81189.jpg

O/c is just cosmetic(and errors free on _CST, LPC, _PSS) still is funny how easy was to trick OS X LOL.

The top link doesn't work and bottom link leads to a site which is unsafe.

Hello Mr. 7 posts, soon to be 8.

Did you use the DSDT from the package Onetrack posted?

-Stell

Where can I find a working link to that file? Every link I've tried either tries to load spyware or just plain doesn't work.

Hey, first up I want to say a big thanks to isynapse for the guide and all the other people that have posted their experiences with this board on here. I managed to make an install in just a couple of hours with out having ever done anything in the hackintosh realm before.

I did a bit of a mish-mash way to get it on there, installing from my macbook to a drive hooked up to a usb - sata converter for the main install and replacing the kext there and then with the drive still connected to my macbook. I was trying to avoid using a 132 boot disk because I was being lazy and didn't want to unhook the disc drive from my other computer and link it up to this new box. In the end though I had to do this as I couldn't work out how to active the boot partition (at least I think that is what is done in the terminal there, I'm very new to this) so I just burnt a disc and installed the drive in the intended box. Needless to say I followed all the steps, but leaving out the DSDT part and came up with a fully working hackbox.

At least I thought it was until today. It's a bit strange; I wanted to start sorting out the file sharing as this little box is going to be my server at home for video, music, etc. I started file sharing in the preferences using just afp but I can't get any of my real macs to connect. Screen sharing is working fine and I can connect to shared folders using SMB but I would quite like to use afp seeing as I only have macs on my network. I should also note that the hackbox can not connect to other macs via afp either but has no problems with SMB.

Does anyone have any ideas?

AFP depends on Bonjour and I think you need the Psystar ethernet driver kext to keep Bonjour running. In the mean time, try specifying the AFP share with the TCP/IP address, ala:

afp://192.168.1.185:548/

Look for the replacement ethernet driver...

Patrick

Thanks for the suggestions Patrick. Here is where I am at now;

I realized I forgot to mention in the last post that I am currently on 10.5.6.

I had already tried connecting via 'connect to server' in the finder with no luck, it just seems to time out and give a connection error.

Found the pystar realtek kext and installed it. I can now connect via afp from the hackbox to my laptops but not the other way around. I figured I would look more into the bonjour angle but I have found so far that everything I know of that uses bonjour works fine (itunes library sharing, ichat over LAN using bonjour). I also downloaded bonjour browser to see if anything looked funny in there and there is one thing, I can see all the computers on there under the afp heading but the hackbox has a bit of a different looking address. Where the other computers display what looks like this under their respective name

'computer name'

192.168.x.x:548

[fe80:xxx:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx]:548

The hackbox has this

'computer name'

[::1]:548

192.168.x.x:548

Not sure if that means anything though. I'm still trawling through the forums trying to find any posts that have similar problems.

UPDATE : OK I just realized that the address being funny was because I had turned off the IPv6. I had read in another thread that this had helped someone else with drop outs on the afp. No change for me though! Sleep now, more tomorrow.

And you have filesharing and AppleTalk enabled on the Hack?

Patrick

I had file sharing but not apple talk enabled. I enabled apple talk but no change there. I also checked my other macs though and none of them had apple talk on so I assume it's not necessary to have on to connect via afp as I can connect to them. Never the less I still turned it on on the others just to check and still no dice.

I really appreciate the suggestions though. I was thinking I might upgrade to 10.5.8 and re-add all the kext to see if that makes any different. Am I right in thinking if I upgrade but use the 10.5.6 kernel I can still use hyperthreading?

Also here is a bit more info, not sure if it means anything or not. But when I enter the preference pane for sharing the "file sharing" does not look ticked. A few seconds later the tick appears by it. The screen sharing is ticked from the moment I enter the sharing though.

I fixed it!!

OK judging by this post it may have been because I installed from my laptop with the drive linked by usb.

"

hi there,

I've had the exact same trouble as well. Actually, I had similar trouble twice, and the solutions were different:

- Make sure you have the right kext's installed (see post 18). What may help is to use OSX86 Tools, and download the correct kext's automatically (that app will propose to get several kexts for all your hardware, I deselected the rest, as only my ethernet was concerned).

- Then, in my second encounter of the same trouble, the solution was to delete (ok, rename to something else as a backup) NetworkInterfaces.plist (see post 36 for info on where to find it), then reboot. Then, open network preferences, and activate your newly found onboard ethernet.

Let me explain the second solution (the first is obvious). I initially had installed mac os on some HDD on some motherboard, but then replaced the motherboard by an identical copy. This changed the ID of the onboard ethernet, which as a consequence got a new number (en4 or something) in my os. Apparently, AFP does not work if your primary network conrtoller is not en0. For me, fixing that by hand as in post 36 did not help. Deleting it, rebooting, and let OS X to the plug and me do the pray, worked.

Cheers!"

So my ethernet was using en0 which apparently afp does not like as soon as I deleted the NetworkInterfaces.plist ethernet was reset to en0 and is now working in both directions with afp.

Thanks for the help Patrick! I hope this post can help anyone else having problems with afp.

Bias

Hi

I'm trying to install this to my d945gclf2 board, but using a retail snow leopard restored to a usb disc. I can select the image just fine from the menu, but as you can see from the attachment, I don't get far...

Can anybody help me - I don't have a retail disc or dual layer discs laying around atm. Is it because I'm trying to install snow leopard and the rEFIt doesn't support it, or that I'm using a install disc from usb or something else???

EDIT: now I tried using a 10.5.6 retail image loading from USB, and while it does load, it halts on a blank blue screen. Any hints would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

post-146361-1256509914_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Solution for large hard drives.

Thanks for all the advice and guidance posted here. I thought I would add my experience as well as it wasn't covered in this post, but I found some other solutions in various other places.

Primary Config:

Intel D945GCLF2 Essential Series Mini-ITX DDR2 667 Intel Graphics Integrated Atom Processor Desktop Board

Samsung Internal Half Height DVD-W Supermulti SATA 22X Lightscribe (Black)

Western Digital 1.5 TB Caviar Green SATA Intellipower 32 MB Cache

MI-008 Tower Black P4 Chassis with 250W Itx Psu+sata Power Supply

Crucial Technology BL25664AA80A 2GB Ballistix 240-Pin DIMM

Ok, so those of you that have been around this for awhile are going to see my problem from the onset. However, I hadn't read anything here to give me any concerns.

Anyway, I assembled the components and followed iSynapse's guide with an OSX 10.5.6 Retail install disk. Everything seemed to work until I tried to reboot.

I started getting the Boot0: Error. I fought with this for two days, trying every boot loader combination I could think of all with the same result. The problem . . . my 1.5tb hard drive. By doing some additional searching, I found that 1.5 tb drives in particular have a problem with the various EFI boot loaders.

Now my purpose for this machine was to replace my MacMini G4 that has 3 external drives connected as a media server. If I couldn't use the large hard drive, there was no point in replacing the Mini.

The Solution: A simple partition . . . I split the disk into two partitions, a 160gb OS / application partition and the rest for my iTumes media. Both were formatted as GUID partitions.

I then followed the guide posted here again and everything is working as expected. My ethernet works OOB, so I didn't modify any EFI strings for that.

The only issue I haven't resolved is my wireless card. I am currently using a NewerTech N Power USB stick (Ralink drivers) for connection. This works, but I was hoping to have an internal PCI wireless card working.

I have tried several of the cards listed on the HCL lists, but none are even recognized as being loaded in the PCI slot under system profiler. Any suggestions here?

This is my third Hacintosh and the easiest by far, SO A HUGE THANK YOU!

One request: As this rEFIt method is new to me and I can't quite figure out how to stop it from booting in "verbose mode" from the rEFIt website, could someone help all us n00bs and give us a heads up?

I found the refit.conf file and changed the timeout length but I'm at a lose and have read the whole thread looking for any evidence for Onetrack's followup to the "we will change this later" comment in the guide... haven't found any.

my machine is works a treat, but I really would love to give all that scrolling text the axe, ya know? Thanks!