[Guide]Intel D945GCLF2 10.5.x Retail Installation

iSynapse

447 posts in this topic

Okay it works, but it seems it only Boots after the Install with the USB Stick, if i remove the Stick i just get No Bootable device... any way to fix this ?

Hey Beklyn - thanks for trying it out.. at the moment since this is a pure vanilla install without even using chameleon as a bootloader or anything - no.

You gotta leave the USB in, as thats what osx boots off of. (where the kexts reside, etc)

I just have a tiny 32 meg usb sitting in the back.. the 945 has enough ports on it, i never miss that one. This solution is more like efix - a dongle permanently attached.

IF you like it, great, if not there are other methods - just tryin to make things easier for people :D

-One

so does this EFIx method allow you to install the combo 10.5.7 without disabling HT? and what about using this EFIx key to work with current installs or does it have to be a completely fresh install (original install was retail)?

so does this EFIx method allow you to install the combo 10.5.7 without disabling HT? and what about using this EFIx key to work with current installs or does it have to be a completely fresh install (original install was retail)?

I'm about to find out

we'll see..

UPDATE:

success !

10.5.7 is installed without disabling Hyperthreading using this new install method.

Download the 10.5.7 combo update from apple - located here: http://support.apple.com/downloads/Mac_OS_..._7_Combo_Update

run the package - let it reboot -

the first bootup you will see a lot of text.. this time ACPI passes normally - it takes a few minutes then you'll see MACH REBOOT - this is normal

On the 2nd boot up, just let it go, after about 2-3 minutes you'll get to a blue screen with a black mouse, it will flash a couple times, and then you're presented with the login screen or the desktop.

All kexts are still intact, audio etc will be working normally.

You might want to run the ' about this mac ' package, or osx86tools if you want the about this mac to show its an atom processor, it defaults back to 1.6ghz unknown.

BUT IT WORKS

and you don't have to disable HT

10.5.7.tiff

It's not EFIx. Try using the dsdt provided from the package.

I have a theory for those people who are using a current installation - first off the original dsdt file that was posted in Synapse's installation kit is actually for the previous version of this board, the 945gclf - single core atom.

There are some significant differences in this new board - perhaps someone running synapses install would like to test my DSDT.aml file by replacing their old one in the root drive and see if you can install 10.5.7 from the combo update?

I have a pretty good idea that the hardware differences are causing the halt after the installation.

Someone test, lemme know.

cheers,

One

my mistake....NOT EFIx.... rEFIt....

anyway, Onetrack, When I installed OSX on this system I built a custom DSDT because I had issues with the originally posted version. I might try to use the guide you put up because i'd rather have a small USB stick that allows for a vanilla system than a patched or old kernel on the EFI partition...i'll let you know when I test it out if I atleast have any luck

my mistake....NOT EFIx.... rEFIt....

anyway, Onetrack, When I installed OSX on this system I built a custom DSDT because I had issues with the originally posted version. I might try to use the guide you put up because i'd rather have a small USB stick that allows for a vanilla system than a patched or old kernel on the EFI partition...i'll let you know when I test it out if I atleast have any luck

Thanks Kernelzero - Its working for me fine - any questions just PM me or post here - I'm curious to see what your take is.

It is working for me, YMMV

One

I have the dual-core 330 board, and was getting the same kernel panic error unless I turned off hyperthreading. I installed the Voodoo kernel to use for now and everything is working again, including hyperthreading. Everything else is stock, except for the DSDT.aml file (I used an earlier poster's file to fix the graphics problems I was having).

I have a theory for those people who are using a current installation - first off the original dsdt file that was posted in Synapse's installation kit is actually for the previous version of this board, the 945gclf - single core atom.

There are some significant differences in this new board - perhaps someone running synapses install would like to test my DSDT.aml file by replacing their old one in the root drive and see if you can install 10.5.7 from the combo update?

I have a pretty good idea that the hardware differences are causing the halt after the installation.

Someone test, lemme know.

cheers,

One

#

Not working for me i just get a the Kernel Panic screen with HT enabled, works fine with HT off :thumbsup_anim:

Hello Mr. 7 posts, soon to be 8.

Did you use the DSDT from the package Onetrack posted?

-Stell

Not having luck here :(

anybody with an D945GCLF2D?

it seems that the D945GCLF2D doesn't work with the new DSDT from Onetracks package and requires an own specific DSDT.aml file. :edit:

Just tried to build it with "DSDT Patcher GUI", the resulting file is the same. (same md5 checksum)

So there must be another thing that keeps me from booting 10.5.7 ;) .

Its the same board, just a bit cheaper and without TV-out.

http://www.intel.com/products/desktop/moth...2D-overview.htm

i tried booting with chameleon and the uEFI / rEFIt method (allways with the DSDT from ontrack in / )

ohnetitel.th.jpg

Any ideas? ;)

Not having luck here :)

anybody with an D945GCLF2D?

it seems that the D945GCLF2D doesn't work with the new DSDT from Onetracks package and requires an own specific DSDT.aml file. :edit:

Just tried to build it with "DSDT Patcher GUI", the resulting file is the same. (same md5 checksum)

So there must be another thing that keeps me from booting 10.5.7 :) .

Its the same board, just a bit cheaper and without TV-out.

http://www.intel.com/products/desktop/moth...2D-overview.htm

i tried booting with chameleon and the uEFI / rEFIt method (allways with the DSDT from ontrack in / )

ohnetitel.th.jpg

Any ideas? :blink:

Yea. Don't use the dsdt from this package. Backup the DSDT using iPhoneTom's uEFI bootloader. Press space bar at the timeout screen. Then select 'Backup DSDT'.

From there, do your magic. ;)

Yes and its working after a few Reboots ;)

Real macs are having the same issues with needing to be restarted multiple times.

http://www.tuaw.com/2009/05/15/troubleshoo...-10-5-7-update/

Blue screen of death: No joke: since the update restarts your computer up to three times, some users are getting hung up on the first blue screen that appears after the gray Apple logo screen. Solution: Wait until disk activity stops, then shut down the computer hard by holding down the power button.

-Stell

OK Hey I'm back from the weekend.. I see Stells been helping out and Beklyns whistling :D

I suppose I should contact iSynapse and maybe get the first post updated?

Cheers,

One

Hi there,

I have an atom 330, installed with the method described in the very first post of this thread, that is using chameleon. In my bios, there is no option to switch off hyperthreading. I found another trick that does work for 10.5.7 however: in the bootloader, you simply type 'cpus=3' (that is, the command line you reach when you press F8 while booting). I tried, and 10.5.7 boots correctly with cpus=1, cpus=2 and cpus=3, but magically does not boot with cpus=4. Well, at least cpus=3 uses both cores of the atom 330.

Hope this is useful to people (I sure wish I had known this from the beginning!)

I've got the Intel Dual Core Atom board, 2 GB ram, retail installation from 10.5.0 disc, upgraded to 10.5.6. Installed as described in the first post of this thread.

I installed voodoo kernel, and updated to 10.5.7. It went fine, but now I'm having what seems to be a USB problem. What happens is I'll put the machine to sleep, and then later wake it up, and it wakes up fine and works for about 15 minutes and then it drops all USB connections.

When this happens I lose my keyboard and mouse and never get them back, so I have to hold down the power button and restart the computer to fix it. Replugging the devices doesn't have any effect (in fact, they don't even get power). The computer isn't actually crashing since videos, music, games, etc all keep going when this happens.

It's never happened before in 10.5.6. It happens both with the voodoo kernel, and the stock kernel with HT turned off. It seems to happen everytime it wakes from sleep, but it's also happened once after starting the machine up.

This is really annoying. Any ideas?

Well, you can ignore this. After I posted that it did it again and then started kernel panicing whenever I tried to boot it, with both kernels. Had to reinstall OS X. I'm probably going to stay on 10.5.6 for now.

I've got the Intel Dual Core Atom board, 2 GB ram, retail installation from 10.5.0 disc, upgraded to 10.5.6. Installed as described in the first post of this thread.

I installed voodoo kernel, and updated to 10.5.7. It went fine, but now I'm having what seems to be a USB problem. What happens is I'll put the machine to sleep, and then later wake it up, and it wakes up fine and works for about 15 minutes and then it drops all USB connections.

When this happens I lose my keyboard and mouse and never get them back, so I have to hold down the power button and restart the computer to fix it. Replugging the devices doesn't have any effect (in fact, they don't even get power). The computer isn't actually crashing since videos, music, games, etc all keep going when this happens.

It's never happened before in 10.5.6. It happens both with the voodoo kernel, and the stock kernel with HT turned off. It seems to happen everytime it wakes from sleep, but it's also happened once after starting the machine up.

This is really annoying. Any ideas?

how do you use the dsdt from the zip file onetrack posted? do you use dsdt patcher?

i tried installing 10.5.6 using onetracks procedure but after restarting i got a screen showing:

boot0: GPT

boot0: HFS+

boot0: HFS+

boot0: error

i get this screen even after installing rEFIt on my partition. the disk has been partitioned using GPT (not MBR)

if i use the flash disk to boot, then i can get to the desktop

and also i experienced that kernel panic after installing 10.5.7 and could only make it go away by disabling HT.

is there anything i did wrong or forgot to do? any help would be appreciated.

UPDATE:

i tried erasing the hd and creating a GPT with 2 partitions, and going over the installation again.

after using kext helper to install kexts and copying the dsdt.aml file to the root of the osx partition, after restarting, i get:

invalid boot disk -- insert boot disk and press any key to continue.

(i forgot the exact words)

i can use the flash disk to boot osx like before

even after installing rEFIt on the osx partition it won't boot. i have to use the flash disk.

anyone who had the same problem? any suggestions? tia