laptop touchpad hardware hack

rschultz101

7 posts in this topic

laptop touchpad hardware hack

currently have problem with my touchpad,... dell E6500 dual touchpad touchstick

so my temporary fix,...

has touch click, back click, scrolling,...

atouchpad1cw1.jpg

atouchpad1cw1.jpg

would be cool to replace the original touchpad,... but probably to much of a hack, and not enough room,..

works great, ehm, looks like,...

what you think ?

• 3 months later...

anybody have sourcecode, for touchpads ?

really would like the driver fixed. the laptop touchpad goes spastic, before sleep wake,

but also trying to get 10.5.6 going, and touchpad is dead in the water, no sleep/wake,...

note: for E6400/E6500/M4400

it's an ergonimic touchpad usb

did get an new palmrest, to possible take out the old one, and cut the palmrest, to fit it in,...

but this one is large, has a couple of bumps on the buttom, from cable attachment, connector for ps2, and chips,

so not fully flat, there is a smaller version of this, they never answered email, for docu, or getting one without all the cable and velcro,...

multitouch, can't really test it, since I used a old modded ps2 kext, and jave no control,

it has building scroll on the right side, horizontal scroll on bottom, and right top corner for right mouse, back ,

it be slick, to get the smaller version, as to have the room, to take out the original touchpad, and wire it directly into the old ps2 wires, otherwise, you'd have to connect the usb, to an internal port, what means taking the whole laptop motherboard out, or to get the usb cable through some opening out, and feed it back into a port,

could be messy, think the best way , to use the onboard ps2 port, but it's an mini flat ribbon connector.

on my E6500, the keyboard extents, has those to extra buttons for the touchstick, what makes it more complicated.

on other laptops, should work just fine, with minimal mod, thought , you'd still need to mode the palrest, and make a custom cable, so you could get a new palmrest, and put it back together.

the other thing, if it can't be lowered enough, (smaller one should) then the lid latch won't work properly

hey, this is an hack,.... even with hardware now

notes:

- expresscard SD adapter, even can boot from it, still sleeps with it

- expresscard firewire 800

- expresscard esata 2 port, might even work with multiplier boxes

remind me, pm, to post some pictures of the backside of it, if really interested, to hack the palmrest.

I'm thinking that we should replace the E6400 touchpad with another, quite similar Dell touchpad. I have a D630 also, and that touchpad has almost the exact dimensions of the E6400's. Unfortunately, that's a business machine, and although I can confirm that it has ALPS, I really can't test it in OSX.

However, the XPS M1330 and M1530 have Synaptics that look to be a similar size to the E6400. I'll find someone who has one and measure - if the cable is the same as well, in theory it should be plug and play (if it turns out to be the same size). I'll update as I go along.