Your favorite VoIP Provider?

11 posts in this topic

Okay, so I was looking around for a decent VoIP provider and I can't come up with anything that supports SIP that doesn't cost $40+ a month, or doesn't look somewhat on the weak side (as in they look like their service might disappear tomorrow).

Anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks!

• 6 months later...

I personally would avoid Vonage and Lingo.

I have Callcentric - couldn't be happier. They are a Bring Your Own Device operator, so that may be an issue. You can also try FutureNine (its like a 1-man operation that is probably the most thrify, and the 1-man Nitzan is always on top of things). Or voipo - they've come out of beta and all the kinks (that they said beta would solve - but didn't) seem to have finally been ironed out.

For more info see http://www.dslreports.com/forum/voip

and especially the reviews (Good, Bad & Ugly) http://www.dslreports.com/gbu

Gee, where did Call With Us come from to top callcentric? And before you consider ooma, consider what if they disappear next month. PhonePower is okay. VoicePulse - ugh. Packet8 just skip.

Callcentric is a little different in that you choose an incoming & an outgoing plan. For example I have an unlimited incoming plan, and a Pay As You Go outgoing plan. 1800 numbers are 0.8 cents, until you configure your adapter will a call plan to dial those numbers via sipbroker & the are free. Its $7.45 a month plus my outgoing calls (usually about 2 dollars a month).

• 1 month later...

Ooma.

I've read numerous times on different boards to stay away from Ooma b/c what would happen if they went away. Well this is how I justified it. I took the price of the Ooma unit (~250), divided it by how much my two lines of POTS and caller id, three-way calling, etc., all cost me and figure if Ooma stays in business that many months I've broken even and everything else after that is free to me. If they go away after that I haven't lost anything then and will switch to something else. (By the way I think my break even calculation was about 5 months -- I've past that and they are still in business. So now it's free phone service for me.)

The deal with Ooma for those that don't know is that you pay the upfront fee of ~$250 to get the hardware and then the basic VOIP (one line, voicemail, and possibly a few other services) service doesn't cost you anything again. They don't charge your credit card monthly / yearly etc.,

They do offer a premium service of ~$100 per year that gives you multiple phone lines (with individual numbers) and all of the services you'd expect. Voicemail, caller id, call waiting, three-way calling, etc., all on each of the lines you sign up for. That is about $8.35 per month.

Their service has been excellent. I've been an owner since January 1 of this year.

I think you can buy their hardware in Best Buy and possibly even Target.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...