EEEPC 701 and LEOPARD 10.5.5 my dream now it's TRUE!

djoser

292 posts in this topic

I guess it would be the space not enough for the update.

I suggest you have everything set up in a USB drive before cloning to SSD.

I got the Airport update and the kext install. But as the other thread said.. I now have 40% not getting kernel panic....

And yet.. I cannot connect to wifi.

Cloning to SSD. As all of use know that fast 4 gigs SSD is not enough for Leo and 16 gigs SSD is qood to go, but tooooooo slow. I have idea how to fix that. It will be good if we move biggest part of the osx to 4 gigs SSD, i.e. /System, /Library, /etc.... And we leave /Applications to the second 16 gigs SSD. The only way I discovered is to use fstab file which is deprecated in Leo. It will be used is everything is okay, but if you update kextcache or something else - it is ignored and the osx won't boot.

We have to find another way to fix this issue.

There are several ways that I can think of.

1 - solder fast CF card inside. A bit hard coz too much wires, but can be done. The only disadvantage is that fast CF is expensive.

2 - use usb hdd. Good but not comfortable to carry it always. It is laptop dammit!

3 - get 16 gigs SSD replaced with fast one. A bit costly and totally worth it, but for some of us like me it is real hard to get new SSD.

4 - this is the best way I think. Get 1.8" sata hdd and solder it inside (yeah eeepc's made for modding :-) But again it is hard to buy small hard disk. The only way that I can get it is to buy mp3 player with HDD and take it apart. Of course it will cost a bit more than just oem hdd. But it is not easy to know that particular player have sata hdd inside. Soldering here is very easy though.

Any other ideas?

P.S. Don't even think of SD card or USB flash - they're really slow.

P.P.S. Check my thread about eee pc 900 HERE

I need some help... ive read this thread thru and thru and im thrilled to see that osx can work on the Eee. ive got a Eee Pc 4G (701 i assume). Ive put in 2gb of ram, ive got a 16gb SDHC card and soon will have an 8 and 16 gb thumb drives. my problem is when i go to install it takes freaking forever!

im using a new LG external cd rom, ideneb 1.3 and it boots fine, took way longer with the stock 512mb, but with 2gb i can get to the part where i choose "disk utility" and thats when it hangs, upwards of an hour or more, every choice after that to erase or partition takes about 3hrs before i can click something else, this is the point where ive stopped trying.

i need a hand here, ive done osx on another pc before, but nothing like this.

someone please help , all i ask is that you give me links and go slow lol

im new to kekts etc.. when it comes to computers, im damn good, but Mac's are new territory and i havnt bought my iMac yet (wating until after macworld)

Thanks, i really dont want to have to settle for XP

all the guides ive seen say i can install it on the Eee itself... so your saying use another PC and what and external? SDHC? Flash? ive got all available, i want to be able to run the Eee without having to have an external everywhere i go, external is almost as big as the Eee itself.

what's my best bet then?

I want to have it running on the eee but I don't want to have to carry around a big external. If be ok with having to install it on another pc to a flash drive then transfer it to the ssd. But my main goal is to run it on the 4gb ssd if that's possible.

I'm willing to have it on USB flash only if that's what it takes. But all ssd would be preferable

So how is it that ive seen pic's and forums saying people got leo on a Eee PC 701?? Ive got the RAM, sure 4gb ssd is small, but apparently somepalces say you can strip off all the extra lamnguage stuff and applications you never use, and it could fit.. I got this 701 for free and would love to run an mac install... i got the RAM super cheap, but im not interested in spending a forutne on this thing.

is your mac install on the 16gb slow drive? if so how well does it work

get new SSD or 1.8" sata harddisk so you can solder it inside the case.

Flash or SDHC are really slow. Of course Leo will work on both but it will have a lot of glitches.

I think the best way is to buy new fast SSD card. On 900 and 701 models first SSD is soldered to the board, so no way to change. BUt in 900 second SSD pluged into special connector. Check whether 701 model have it.

No need to install it on! You can just run benchmarks with Xbench and post it here.

i have installed in already.. the speed is just acceptable. Not fast and not damn slow.

However, I am not sure if my eee is running under full speed. As the OS keeps telling me that my CPU is 600Mhz and FSB is 70Mhz.

Also, I confirmed that Wifi is able to wake from sleep. You just need to restart the scanning application kisxxx and close it. Network should be available for you to connect.

Everything was tested and done on EEEPC 900.

Did you install it using another pc onto a flash drive? How big of a drive? What size ssd does the 900 have?

I'm really starting to think it's just easier to run xp on this thing and wait until after macworld and get a mac

It is interesting that you once thought that running leopard on EEEPC 900 is easier than XP.

BTW, mine have a 20GB EEEPC900 model, 4GB SLC SSD and 16GB MLC SSD.

I installed it with another desktop computer.

Hey guys just thought i'd update you on my 701 eeepc leo project. My eeepc only has 4gb ssd... i have tried everything in the world to get it small enought to fit... smallest i could get it was 4.2gb... still a little shy. but i do have it running on a 8gb class 6 sdhc hard. i know you guys all say don't do it. well i ran hdtach on both the ssd and sdhc and the ssd ran at 33mbps and the sdhc ran at 23.8mbps.. for now i have an internal sd card reader mod... which works for me.

They only question i have is anyone else noticing the random pinwheels they only last about 20sec...

To get it down to 4.2gb i used xslimmer, Monolingual, followed a couple of site that showed files to remove that weren't need(screensaver, backgrounds, intro video) I used appzapper to remove apps that i couldn't use. I removed hibernation/sleep and then deleted the 1.2gb file.  

If anyone could sift threw the frameworks and we could slim 600mb out of it we could get it on the 4gb ssd

Hey guys just thought i'd update you on my 701 eeepc leo project. My eeepc only has 4gb ssd... i have tried everything in the world to get it small enought to fit... smallest i could get it was 4.2gb... still a little shy. but i do have it running on a 8gb class 6 sdhc hard. i know you guys all say don't do it. well i ran hdtach on both the ssd and sdhc and the ssd ran at 33mbps and the sdhc ran at 23.8mbps.. for now i have an internal sd card reader mod... which works for me.

They only question i have is anyone else noticing the random pinwheels they only last about 20sec...

To get it down to 4.2gb i used xslimmer, Monolingual, followed a couple of site that showed files to remove that weren't need(screensaver, backgrounds, intro video) I used appzapper to remove apps that i couldn't use. I removed hibernation/sleep and then deleted the 1.2gb file.  

If anyone could sift threw the frameworks and we could slim 600mb out of it we could get it on the 4gb ssd

How did you get it installed?Did you install it ok the sdhc card using another computer? I can't get my eee to load the disk utility. I've got a 16gb sd card and a 8 gb USB flash.

Any help would be appreciated even if I got a hold of your 4.2 install via torent or something it would be a breeze

i installed from my desktop straight to the sdhc card. once it was installed to the sd card still on the desktop i updated everything then once i was done just placed it into the eeepc and booted from the sd reader.

It don't have a clue how to put it up on  a torrent.

Dear all - hope I got the right topic!

I would need help with OS X 10.5.4 installation on a brand new Asus eeePc S101. Spec.: Intel Atom N270 & Intel 945 GSE /ICH7-M

I bought a OS X 10.5.4 Retail and tried to install it but it didn´t work - does someone has any idea?

Thanks

Thanks for the reply - but I tried all available possibilities. Also the links you suggested. The Asus eeePc S101 is just shortly available. It is similar to the 901. It has a 16 Gb SSD. I tried the Boot-132 CD and my Retail but the system hang up and told me to restart. I think there should be a solution modifing the initrd.img file but I found no hints for this machine. Does anyone got a clue?