EEEPC 701 and LEOPARD 10.5.5 my dream now it's TRUE!

djoser

292 posts in this topic

HI all...

First sorry my poor english...

In the past i tried to run leopard on my eeepc but without success (do you remember problems detecting correct FSB speed of <1Ghz cpus...) but know take a look to this http://www.insanelymac.com/lofiversion/ind...hp/t138420.html

This kernel have this feature:

Real-time clock fix for SSE2 users (no system slowdown/stutter when speedstep is on, supports less than 1 GHz cpu speeds)

So why don't try it on the EEEPC701?

This Kernel detects perfectly processor speed and FSB of EEEPC 701 Celeron M processor.

THIS IS THE BEST KERNEL I' VE TRIED thanks to all developers!!!

You MUST use a BIOS that permits you to set the maximum performance so it can run at 900Mhz speed. (I'm Using 0511 test 705)

- Download a bios that have this feature.

- Format an usb key in "FAT 16" not fat32.

- Put the bios file inside the usb key with this name "701.rom"

- Turn on your EEEPC, hit ALT+F2 and complete the bios upgrade.

Remember to enable max performance in your bios.

For the installation I've used iDenebv1.3 (10.5.5).

But there is some problems:

- Where we can install OSX?

The 4GB SSD is too small, using a 16GB SDHC probably will be too slow..

I've used a 20GB USB HD (Find your solution like soldering a 32GB ssd on your EEEPC =))

- IS Possible to install iDeneb directly from EEEPC701 with an USB CDROM?

I think is possible but you need to have the GMA900 supported in the iDeneb ISO (YES GMA900 IS SUPPORTED USING A PATCH WITHOUT PAPERCLIP AND QE/CI Harware Accellerated).

I've used another PC where iDeneb works for installing on the USB HD.

Let's start installing iDeneb on USB HDD

- Attach the USB HD on your PC where iDeneb works (probably you can also use vmware but i'm not sure that works...)

- Start iDeneb

- Create the HFS partion/s on your USB HDD

- Customize your installation with this patches

Audio

AzaliaAudio

Chipset

ICHxFixed

VIA-SB (This is needed for start iDeneb on my Desktop PC used for installing OSX86)

Fix

ACPI-Fix

PowerManagement

Kernel

Kernel-9.4.0-StageXNU

Video

Try the video driver for your graphic card or try without it.

I've used NVinject_0.2.1_256MB for my GEForce card.

Select also OSX86Tools and KextHelper.

START INSTALLATION

When it finish.. reboot..

Select BOOT MENU and start iDeneb from your USBHDD if you have a dual core cpu and you have problems at boot try this boot flags: -v -f cpus=1

Do the initial configuration steps.. when it ask your Apple ID hit ALT+Q and click SKIP.

OK now we need to install all the patches for make iDeneb working on the EEEPC701.

First install the Voodoo Kernel

Download http://xnu-dev.googlecode.com/files/Voodoo...e_Candidate.zip and extract to your Desktop

Open Terminal:

su - (and insert your passwd)

cd /Users/"yourusername"/Desktop/Voodoo_Kernel_Release_Candidate

mv /mach_kernel /mach_kernel.iDeneb

mv mach_kernel.voodoo /mach_kernel

chown root:wheel /mach_kernel

Install GMA900 and OpenGL.framework

Unpack GMA900NOPAPERCLIP.zip

Unpack all zipped extensions inside GMA900 folder and install them with Kext Helper but not reboot immediately.

Backup your OpenGL.framework /System/Library/Frameworks/OpenGL.framework

Download http://kindred.at/maci/OpenGL.framework.tar.gz and extract to your Desktop

Open Terminal:

su -

rm -r /System/Library/Frameworks/OpenGL.framework/Versions/A

mv /Users/"yourusername"/Desktop/OpenGL.framework/Versions/A /System/Library/Frameworks/OpenGL.framework/Versions/

chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Frameworks/OpenGL.framework

remember to replace ONLY the A folder or the GMA900 starts without QE/CI Hardware Accellerated!

Attach the USB HD to your EEEPC select boot menu and start from USB HD using -v -f boot flags

If the graphic card extensions is loaded correctly you have all things working webcam with PhotoBoot, FrontRow, ScreenSaver, Dual Head, Mirroring on external monitor working but with the same resolution of the eeePC

If you want Atheros AR5007EG wireless working follow this tutorial

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=138351

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...rt=#entry960526

I tried to insert the Atheros L2 Ethernet Controller PCI IDs in the Info.plist of AttansicL1Ethernet.kext it detects the card and MAC address but when i plug the cable crash the system.. =((

Do all updates with Software Update (not airpot extreme)

Try this for Audio HotKeys

http://ipis-osx.wikidot.com/the-sound-tutorial

Audiee not working with Voodoo kernel

Spark works

mic not working

See ya

UPDATE 23/02/2009

Installed iDeneb v.1.4 10.5.6

Tested ExpressCard ADATA 32GB Model: E704 (TOO SLOW i think a 1.8" HD USB is the best solution for me)

What to select during install (from another pc):

Chipset

ICHx Fixed

Kernel

Kernel 9.5.0 Voodoo

Fix

Seatbelt Fix

BatteryManager Fix

Video

Intel GMA 900

When install is finished attach an external monitor to your eeepc or the system says you that your resolution it's not enough for doing the initial configuration steps... (USE TAB AND SPACE for complete these steps)

Boot from usb hd with: -v -f

If you receive errors with AppleDecrypt use the attached kext from iatkos dvd.

I'm testing it right now!

Install all software updates

Sorry for my "english"...

CIAO!

Guidaccio from Sicily ;P

GMA900NOPAPERCLIP.zip

Appledecrypt_van_iatkos.zip

Screenshoots..

Sleep with this kernel works perfectly!

System profiler say 633 Mhz..

guidaccios-macpro31:~ root# dmesg

npvhash=4095

hi mem tramps at 0xffe00000

PAE enabled

rtclock_init: Taking bus ratio path 4 (Intel / Apple)

TSC: Verification of clock speed PASSED.

TSC: Frequency = 900.94014MHz, FSB frequency = 100.10446MHz, bus ratio = 9

Darwin Kernel Version 9.5.0: Wed Nov 26 22:39:57 PST 2008; Voodoo; RC1 :xnu-1228.7.58/BUILD/obj/RELEASE_I386

standard timeslicing quantum is 10000 us

vm_page_bootstrap: 253026 free pages and 9118 wired pages

mig_table_max_displ = 79

ACPI CA 20051117 [debug level=0 layer=0]

AppleACPICPU: ProcessorApicId=1 LocalApicId=0 Enabled

Enabling SSE3 emulator...done.

post-321402-1227960217_thumb.png

post-321402-1227960228_thumb.png

post-321402-1227960241_thumb.png

post-321402-1227960248_thumb.png

post-321402-1227960294_thumb.png

post-321402-1227960304_thumb.png

post-321402-1227960314_thumb.png

post-321402-1227960382_thumb.png

what if ...

is there really no way to slim down the install size to less then 4 GB ? I've seen modbin do it on the live dvd project, maybe that could be applied here, then restore that install to the internal SSD drive

Are there any chances of that ?

Either way great that you tested it as working ... Any issues with the wireless ? What about battery life? How does it feel on working with some apps ? Any lags?

Maybe you could post a video on Youtube

P.S. About having the GMA working on dvd boot, Instahackintosh has the power to integrate kexts needed both on install dvd and to install custom packages

I will never try to install it in the 4gb ssd is too small and i have XP installed in SSD and SDHC

The Wireless in my office with a Zyxel 802.11a/b/g works perfectly

WPA-PSK auth works

After Wireless Kext installation sometimes at boot you can have a kernel panic simply reboot

At my home sometimes the networks goes down but i have a Netgear ME103 802.11b AP i will do other tests.

I'm trying to stress the system.. Spaces, QuickTime, iTunes.. all working and it's Very FAST and stable.

I've installed Parallels, i'll try to install XP and post more screenshoots..

If you want to monitor your airport from cmd line

ln -s /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Apple80211.framework/Versions/Current/Resources/airport /usr/sbin/airport

guidaccios-macpro31:~ guidaccio$ airport -I

agrCtlRSSI: -56

agrExtRSSI: 0

agrCtlNoise: -94

agrExtNoise: 0

state: running

op mode: station

lastTxRate: 54

maxRate: 54

lastAssocStatus: 0

802.11 auth: open

link auth: wpa-psk

BSSID: 0:13:49:71:e:bf

SSID: Skynner

MCS: -1

channel: 13

If you have problems with carbonlib

http://board.insanelymac.net/index.php?showtopic=404

Download and Install this http://board.insanelymac.net/index.php?act...=post&id=58

or download this

http://board.insanelymac.net/index.php?act...=post&id=47

backup your /System/Library/CFMSupport

remove your /System/Library/CFMSupport

copy CFMSupport_2.zip to /System/Library

unzip CFMSupport_2.zip

chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/CFMSupport

ciao md alla fine djoser ci ha anticipato sulla guida...lol ;)

No problem... we are all really happy to use leopard on eeepc 701 (the cheapest hackbook in the world).

But i have some problem. Kismac trunk doesn't find any wireless point...any suggestion djoser??

And what about headphone: i've tried other kext found in forum for alc662 but they didn't work.

Evviva la comunità italiana osx86 ;)

Ciao ragazzi bhe si la guida l' ho fatta ma molto velocemente se avete da aggiungere vi prego fatelo! =)

About wifi remember to install the apple extreme update... (follow the howto)

Sometimes also my kismac doesn't find anything but after reboot it works try to disable airport and enable it again

see ya Guidaccio

@shantaram: prova ad installare l'airport update con pacifist se ti dovesse dire che il tuo computer non e' supportato, dopodiche riavvii e la installi normalmente (non so nemmeno se sia necessario).

I suggest not installing any kernel because at first i did instal one but even booting with voodoo kernel it gave me major issues, a couple of times I got disk errors on my sdhc and had to reinstal operating system! I think this was due to the kernel because since my last installation 20 days ago, i have an almost perfect leopardx86 without selecting any kernel during installation! It crashes randomly with the new voodoo release candidate, i think beta2 was a little bit more stable, but probably everything is due to the wifi kext. Anyway Rc1 seems a little bit more fluent.. Xbench gives a quite good score, cpu about 32, and this is a good result if compared with atom! (nothing to do with my MbP 160, but you don't feel such a difference using both!). I tried randomly some kext to get mic to work but with no luck.. I think the wifi driver is close but somebody shuold fix it.. If only the kismac way worked at every boot we would be ok! My eeepc crashes at every resume from sleep mode.. Still didn't figure out why.. If somebody knows....

I don't have kernel panics running voodoo rc1.

I think isn't good having leopard installed on sdhc, i have a part of windows xp installed on it like C:\Program Files, (more space and more life for ssd) with hitachi microdrive driver installed for usb card reader (for recognizing sdhc as an internal drive)

Problems umouting and remouting the sdhc where leopard is installed?

When my leopard wakes from sleep system writes a warning about unmounting incorrectly the sdhc inside usb card reader but not the same message for SSD.

In windows sometimes i need to run CHKDSK D: /F (sdhc)

Same disk errors?

Sorry again for my poor english

Thats probably the reason why i can't resume from sleep, having os on the sdhc i probably get your same issue but in my case it gives a system freeze. I can't work on it! Anyway leopard on sdhc fits quite fair! Really you should try because i also was very surprised with it's speed.. 16gb sdhc adata class 6. It's much more useful having everything closed inside instead of having hanging cables.. That's why I'm struggling to get my wifi working!! I also have an usb adapter, but i prefer rebooting 5 times to get airport working rather than plug it.. I never unmount my sdhc since i have os on it.. Didn't even try, sure system crash I'd say..

P.S. Useful tip: You can use osx86 tools (program inside ideneb) to instal voodoo kernel as default, so you wouldn't have to write each time machkernel..............

I cant seem to get past the choose your language screen. It just sits there...not to mention I cant see the whole box. And its really slow. Took 8 minutes to get from boot to the choose your language screen.

[Eee 701 4g surf, bios 0511, external DVD drive]

Read this.. is not for eeepc 701 but you can try... http://ipis-osx.wikidot.com/the-sound-tutorial

with the azalia kext from ideneb cdrom audiee doesn't work

Your atheros is recognized?

Go to Kismet preferences under driver section and for apple airport extreme passive mode try to select all channel from 1 to 14 (i don't know if this can help you)

ciao

Thanks to everyone for their insight and work on getting this working on the EeePC 701. I've seen a lot of work on the newer models (900A, 901, 1000H) but I thought I was going to be stuck with JaS Tiger and that clock bug forever.

I've successfully installed iDeneb v1.3, first by installing to an 8GB SDHC card on a desktop PC. Then I updated to the Voodoo Kernel on the SDHC card through my previously existing Tiger Installation. I test booted from the SDHC card and it worked, but was very slow. I used Carbon Copy Cloner to clone the Leopard image overwriting my Tiger installation (I have the 4GB SSD which has Windows XP installed but also a second 64GB SSD installed, Tiger was on a 20GB partition on the 64GB SSD). I got a flashing cursor and realized that I needed to install the bootloader on the cloned drive. I rebooted into the SDHC Leopard installation and installed Chameleon on the SSD Leopard drive. Voila!

Now I'm working on fine tuning.

EDIT: I've redone the steps listed in the original post and gotten QE/CI enabled.

Thanks again to everyone!

right, thats why you have to use bios 0511 and overclock to 900mhz

I wish someone would take an Acronis image of their Eee install and put it on torrents. Because I cant do my own build due to my Desktop having SCSI drives and other hardware that confuses ideneb.

Also if they used Xslimmer and Pacifist, they might be able to get it down to below 4gb or 4gb and move the swap to a ramdisk :)

Excuse me:

Has anyone REALLY tested Leopard on a SDHC? Is it responsive?

I didn't have a Class 6 SDHC that was big enough for a Leopard installation, so I used a Class 4 SDHC for my original installation. It is very slow in responding, but functional. I definitely don't recommend using an SDHC for normal computing, but if you need to install the operating system and fiddle with it and then clone it to an SSD or HDD, I'd recommend it. I certainly wouldn't use it on a regular basis but I'm using mine for testing out other combinations of kernel extensions and applications before committing to installation on my "real" Leopard install on my second SSD.

Hope that helps.