Voodoo XNU Kernel - Release Candidate .. released ;-)

mercurysquad

Success vs. Failure of RC1  

188 members have voted

1. 1. Has Voodoo RC1 been working well for you?

• Absolutely
    • Some issues, nothing major
    • No. I have major issues.

271 posts in this topic

I don't think the bootloader has anything to do with SSE3 or SSE2 :D

Are you sure? Previously a lot of attempts to run EFIv8 gone haywire. And when I posted the problems at netkas's forum, people there said either SSE2 or my motherboard is breaking it. :P

Now I have downloaded latest bootloader (just a file named 'boot') from netkas's site. I replaced it with my previous one in leopard root but everything is still the same. I don't know if something is changed and I am really using EFIv9. The machine boots fine as it used to before this new bootloader.

BTW, @mercurysquad, I hope you and voodoo team will fix the last two issues soon. Best wishes for the final release. :D

Are you sure? Previously a lot of attempts to run EFIv8 gone haywire. And when I posted the problems at netkas's forum, people there said either SSE2 or my motherboard is breaking it. :)

Give me one good reason why or where a bootloader needs to use SSE3 instructions?

The thing is, people are quick to jump and claim "OH you have sse2 cpu thats why its brokez." One time people claimed my Preview was showing white window because I had SSE2 cpu when it was actually a graphic driver problem. Kernel and bootloader do NOT use SSE instructions anywhere. And if you are using a kernel with sse3 emulator, specially one which has a heavily tested emulator like Voodoo's, for all intents and purposes there is NO distinction between SSE2 and SSE3 support even for user-mode applications.

So ignore the idiots who claim bootloader is not working because you don't have SSE3.

I had this issue since beta 2 : to use a USB device i have to plug it in before booting the machine otherwise it will be listed in the system profile but i won't be able to use it after the device is recognized i can plug it in & out as much as i want.

Hi,

I am running kernel voodoo rc1 without any problems with leopard retail disk on my AMD 4400 X2 and  Asus M3A78-EM SB700 board. I am using a usb stick to boot leopard now.

The only problem I seem to be facing is that sleep and screensaver is not working. The kexts Iam using is smbios enabler, dsmos & intel pm disabler and my sata kexts.

I am also not noticing and difference in scores in xbench in 32 & 64 bit mode.

Is this a kernel related problem? How can i solve this problem.

Thanks

Give me one good reason why or where a bootloader needs to use SSE3 instructions?

The thing is, people are quick to jump and claim "OH you have sse2 cpu thats why its brokez." One time people claimed my Preview was showing white window because I had SSE2 cpu when it was actually a graphic driver problem. Kernel and bootloader do NOT use SSE instructions anywhere. And if you are using a kernel with sse3 emulator, specially one which has a heavily tested emulator like Voodoo's, for all intents and purposes there is NO distinction between SSE2 and SSE3 support even for user-mode applications.

So ignore the idiots who claim bootloader is not working because you don't have SSE3.

Thanks for the clarification. I also had a negative feeling about this damn SSE2 restriction.

So what's the news of final release? Any updates?

Will be released today. Waiting on Dense/kaitek to wake up.

Thank you so much, mercurysquad and all the voodoo dev team. Thanks to voodoo, I was able to make my dream of installing the retail DVD on my AMD come true (used Munky's method, BTW)! I now have a 100% working system, updated to 10.5.5 directly from the update app without having to muck around backing up and replacing system files. :D

I am testing the system now to see if I can find any problems related to the kernel. I came across a few installation issues but they were all fixed by modifying my EFI files.

I can't wait to test the new release!

Best kernel I've used for Leopard- highly recommended for SSE2 users on 10.5.5- just be sure to use the 9.5 system.kext!

I used to have crashes on Toast, Handbrake, Garageband, Transmission, and could never run iCal- now I can rip and burn DVDs, and so far- no app crashes whatsoever. And my Geekbench score went from 1210 to 1298. Thanks to all who made this possible- I was actually considering buying a new computer!

:)

Update Ah this is bad: we have encountered 2 last minute issues of high priority which are certainly kernel bugs and need to be fixed before the final is pushed. We're still trying to get it ready today however, but it looks tough.

Any updates on that? :)

Hey don't laugh on that, mercurysquad and dense/kaitek live in different time zones.

US west coast, India, Australia. With some people up in Europe.

Can't be more spread out than that ..

Mercurysquad,

Will the latest Chameleon be also released alogwith the final release of voodoo like it was planned earlier ?

No. Chameleon is seeing heavy development these days, lots of code changes, merges, new features etc. So we decided to not put any pressure on those guys and let them do their thing in peace. It'll be released when it's done.

Hey don't laugh on that, mercurysquad and dense/kaitek live in different time zones.

I know But look behind the text

US west coast, India, Australia. With some people up in Europe.

Can't be more spread out than that ..

Cool india :)

Guest cavallo

post-194988-1228420072_thumb.jpg

Thanks for great work, on leo 4.1 no problems but on the same system, with same bios settings, no external devices, the right bootable cd i can't install retail, due to cpiintel.kext.

That's my system

Nome modello: Mac

Identificatore modello: MacPro3,1

Nome processore: AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 3600+

Velocità processore: 2.01 GHz

Numero totale di nuclei: 2

Cache L2 (per processore): 256 KB

Caratteristiche CPU: FPU VME DE PSE TSC MSR PAE MCE CX8 APIC SEP MTRR PGE MCA CMOV PAT PSE36 CLFSH MMX FXSR SSE

SSE 2 HTT SSE3

Memoria: 4 GB

Velocità bus: 200 MHz

Versione Boot ROM: MP11.88Z.005C.B08.0707251237 (Phoenix Technologies, LTD)

Numero di serie: CK034KMHK5B

Graphic card

Modello Chipset: ATI Radeon HD 2600

Tipo: Monitor

Bus: PCIe

Larghezza Lane PCIe: x16

VRAM (totale): 512 MB

Fornitore: ATI (0x1002)

ID dispositivo: 0x9589

ID revisione: 0x0000

Revisione ROM: 113-B1480A-236

Versione driver EFI: 01.00.236

Monitor:

Cinema:

Tipo di monitor: LCD

Risoluzione: 1680 x 1050

Profondità: Colore 32-bit

Core Image: Hardware accelerato

Monitor principale: Sì

Mirror: Spento

Online: Sì

Quartz Extreme: Supportata

QuartzGL: Supportata

Rotazione: Supportata

Mostra connettore:

Stato: Nessun monitor collegato

The only external devices connected are Hamlet usb2/lan , cause to forcedeth problems (but onboard lan is enabled) and 1394/usb

cinema display connectors.

In bios every pot, ird, serial and lpt is disabled mouse support also.

Ata devices are pr. master dvd r rw philips spd2412t, sec. master Maxtor 6e040l (leo 4.1), 1st sata WDC WD5000AAKS-00A7B0

data and 2nd sata MAXTOR STM3250310AS data.

4 gb ddr2 kingmax 200mhz 667mhz 128bit dual lane i four 1gb banks

thanks in advance for helping.