Voodoo XNU Kernel - Release Candidate .. released ;-)

mercurysquad

Success vs. Failure of RC1  

188 members have voted

1. 1. Has Voodoo RC1 been working well for you?

• Absolutely
    • Some issues, nothing major
    • No. I have major issues.

271 posts in this topic

@Hecker: thanks for the guide, I was getting tired of answering to everyone via PM and I hadn't enough time to write a full post :D

@Mercurysquad: thanks for the answer. I had already thought it wasn't voodoo's fault, but I didn't know the technical background.

Sherry Haibara

"This method can only be used on a pre-existing OS X system.

To create a boot-132 CD for AMD:

Download a pre-existing ISO file. I used the GA-965P-DS3.iso which you can get here.

Double click the ISO file to mount it (a new device named NEWISO will appear).

Create a folder named ISO on your Desktop and copy all of the contents of the iso file to it.

Copy your voodoo kernel into the Desktop.

Create an Extensions folder on your Desktop and copy the kext files you need into it.

Enter the following in your terminal window

CODE

sudo su

cp -R /Volumes/NEWISO/ /Users/your_user/Desktop/ISO/

Make the target INITRD.IMG file writable by entering:

CODE

chmod 777 /Users/your_user/Desktop/ISO/INITRD.IMG

Before making changes to the initrd file, see if you have enough space in it to fit your extension kexts and voodoo kernel. If not, you can enlarge it by entering (this example uses 100MB, but you can up it to what you need):

CODE

hdiutil resize -size 100MB /Users/your_user/Desktop/ISO/INITRD.IMG

Mount the INITRD.IMG by double clicking it.

Copy the voodoo kernel into the root of initrd.img

CODE

cp -R /Users/your_user/Desktop/mach_kernel.voodoo /Volumes/initrd/

Copy the extension files you need into the initrd image (this example assumes you have an Extensions folder in your Desktop):

CODE

cp -R /Users/your_user/Desktop/Extensions/ /Volumes/initrd/Extra/Extensions/

Unmount the INITRD image and create the new ISO file.

CODE

hdiutil makehybrid -o /Users/your_user/Desktop/NEW.ISO /Users/your_user/Desktop/ISO/ -iso -eltorito-boot /Users/your_user/Desktop/ISO/ISOLINUX.BIN -no-emul-boot

Finally, burn the new.iso file to a CD.

And done!

Hope this helps."

Thanks for the instructions!

Is there anyone on AMD who can sleep/resume in 64bit mode without problems? I'm trying to debug this but I don't know if it's a universal problem or specific to certain setups?

If you can sleep/resume in 64bit mode, please tell me your exact processor and chipset, plus whether you are using stock AppleACPIPlatform.kext and System.kext or not.

Is there anyone on AMD who can sleep/resume in 64bit mode without problems? I'm trying to debug this but I don't know if it's a universal problem or specific to certain setups?

If you can sleep/resume in 64bit mode, please tell me your exact processor and chipset, plus whether you are using stock AppleACPIPlatform.kext and System.kext or not.

how can I see what kext Im using, I mean AppleACPIPlatform.kext and System.kext?

I have installed voodoo kernel, everything seems to be working fine, test_5 gets completed with no problems. I only get a little lower score on xbench...

AMD 5000+ x2 overclocked to 3 GHz

DFI infinity ultra nf4 sli chipset AM2

5 Gb of RAM

ATI radeon HD3850

EDIT: Sleep works for me in general:)

EDIT1: Some apps that I had open and minimezed to dock, Im not able to open them after sleep, nothing happens (example - yahoo messenger). Firefox opened with no problems

Will do more testing later.

Hey Mercurysquad,

I just let my comp sleep for about ~30seconds and resumed it and it works fine.

Running 64-bit AMD 10.5.5

Processor: AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4200+ (Socket AM2)

Motherboard: Asus M2NPV-VM; Socket AM2; nForce 430 chipset

AppleACPIPlatform:
 Version:	1.0.3
 Last Modified:	9/21/08 5:24 PM
 Get Info String:	1.0.3, Copyright Apple Computer, Inc. 2003-2005
 kext Version:	1.1.0
 Load Address:	0x2e2d4000
 Valid:	Yes
 Authentic:	Yes
 Dependencies:	Satisfied
 Integrity:	Kext has no receipt

System:
 Version:	9.5.0
 Last Modified:	9/22/08 8:25 AM
 Get Info String:	System Resource Pseudoextension, Apple Computer Inc, 9.5.0
 kext Version:	9.5.0
 Load Address:	0x0
 Valid:	Yes
 Authentic:	Yes
 Dependencies:	Satisfied
 Integrity:	Kext has no receipt

I believe that these kexts are the stock but I posted the info just in case

AMD Users: remember to check your com.apple.Boot.plist file to see if the -legacy switch is not in there. Otherwise you might actually be in 32bit mode and not know it.

EDIT: I just noticed something very weird (may not have anything to do with the kernel). I was connected from my MB to my hack via "Screen Sharing" to see wether or not transmission was ready downloading some files. I then minimized the screen sharing window and forgot about it. After about 45mins. of browsing the net (my hack turns off the drives after some time of inactivity), I went back to my hack and the computer was not responding! I could see the screen saver but it wasn't moving (I have the picture viewer which randomly flips through images).

Long story short: I had to close the screen sharing application on my MB in order for the hack to snap out of it's frozen state. After that, it kept working normally though (no crashes or anything) :gathering:

Just something to keep in mind if you use the screen sharing app.

hello everyone.

I am having trouble getting nvidia and geforce kexts working here on my AMD K8 Opteron 939 Nforce3 /w nvidia 7600gt

i cant boot with stock kexts and efi string on 10.5.5

anyone got working kexts /w efi string :( on amd dual?

cheers,

HC (using the massive rc1!)

Quick update on my sleep/wake problem. For some reason it's working now. The system gives me an error about having not properly disconnected my USB drives, but they are still mounted after waking and work fine.

I tried it 2 more times and it still works, so right now I'm clueless. I will experiment further and report back.

Cheers,

- hecker

EDIT: Here's the listing of my System.kext and AppleACPIPlatform.kext

AppleACPIPlatform:

Version: 1.0.3

Last Modified: 3/22/08 12:24 AM

Get Info String: 1.0.3, Copyright Apple Computer, Inc. 2003-2005

kext Version: 1.0.3

Load Address: 0x2e169000

Valid: Yes

Authentic: Yes

Dependencies: Satisfied

Integrity: Kext has no receipt

System:

Version: 9.5.0

Last Modified: 11/28/08 1:44 PM

Get Info String: System Resource Pseudoextension, Apple Computer Inc, 9.5.0

kext Version: 9.5.0

Load Address: 0x0

Valid: Yes

Authentic: Yes

Dependencies: Satisfied

Integrity: Kext has no receipt

The System.kext is a copy I took from my MacBook. I'm not sure about the AppleACPIPlatform.kext. It is the file included in the Leo4Allv2 disk.

EDIT2: I created a Boot-132 and included all of the extension files from my current system Extensions folder, but it didn't work as expected :rolleyes:

I know that there are some crucial files that should be included in every Boot-132, like the dsmos.kext but I am clueless as to what else I should be included (or not included) in there.

If anybody has a similar system to mine and has successfully installed the retail disk, then please let me know which files you used. (Use the PM system to avoid littering this thread with off topic stuff).

Here's my system specs again:

Mainboard: K8T Neo2 v2.0 VIA K8T800 Pro + 8237R Plus Chipset Based

CPU: Athlon64 3200+ (supports SSE3)

RAM: 2GB DDR-400

Video: NVidia Geforce 7800GS 256MB (AGP)

Thank you, and please excuse the off topic question!

Someone had the same problem last night and fixed it by using stock System.kext and stock AppleACPIPlatform.kext.

Try this System.kext. Also if you are using any kind of patched AppleACPIPlatform.kext, revert it back to vanilla.

Using vanilla AppleACPIPlatform.kext hangs the machine without a KP. :rolleyes::wacko:

Now using JaS 10.5.4 DVD's AppleACPIPlatform.kext which was installed by default.

hello everyone.

I am having trouble getting nvidia and geforce kexts working here on my AMD K8 Opteron 939 Nforce3 /w nvidia 7600gt

i cant boot with stock kexts and efi string on 10.5.5

anyone got working kexts /w efi string :rolleyes: on amd dual?

cheers,

HC (using the massive rc1!)

Well i have my 7600gt working with the kexts from kalyway 10.5.2 dvd (NV**.kext and geforce**.kext). I use efi strings done with osx tools.

Hope it helps a bit:D gl

Well i have my 7600gt working with the kexts from kalyway 10.5.2 dvd (NV**.kext and geforce**.kext). I use efi strings done with osx tools.

Hope it helps a bit:D gl

thanks ohoo. Tried string form EFI Studio. Didn't boot.

I'll keep trying.

guess you would be intrested in how to get 10.5.5 nv + ge kext working right?

please help us! :D

also, do you have amd cpu and nforce chipset ohoo?

thx mate :D

My athlon 64 3000+ seems to sleep fine but some video players (VLC and Movist) crash and I have no choice but to reboot (if I can)

Please attach the crash reports (which should be in /Library/Logs/CrashReporter) and in addition verify that you experience these same issues in 32-bit mode (boot with -legacy). Thanks.

thank you mercury!!!! Voodoo kernel works like a charm on eeepc 701 4g (Intel celeron m 900mhz limited to 633mhz).

With your kernel now i've realized my dream: i have the cheapest hacbook in the world!!!

You're kernel is really something revolutionary, the timing issue of eeepc 701 is defenetevly solved ;)

Dense finished the source audit. One step closer to final release. Docs update remaining, and a few minor changes + kaitek wants to fix the Marvin crash. So that'll still take a day.

Thnx for the update :)

Any info on the new feature for the final release? :D

thanks ohoo. Tried string form EFI Studio. Didn't boot.

I'll keep trying.

guess you would be intrested in how to get 10.5.5 nv + ge kext working right?

please help us! :)

also, do you have amd cpu and nforce chipset ohoo?

thx mate ;)

Did you try with the kexts from kalyway 10.5.2 ?I have problems with the update to 10.5.5, my system doesnt boot.But in 10.5.4 i have qe ci for my 7600gt agp card (seen as pci).

Yes i have nforce 3 250 chipset and amd 64bit sse2.

I ll try to boot with 10.5.5 and tell you.If you want the kexts from kalyway i could send them to you.

Keep on :D