Voodoo XNU Kernel - Release Candidate .. released ;-)

mercurysquad

Success vs. Failure of RC1  

188 members have voted

1. 1. Has Voodoo RC1 been working well for you?

• Absolutely
    • Some issues, nothing major
    • No. I have major issues.

271 posts in this topic

Hi MercurySquad,

First, kudos on the Voodoo kernel development....... :)

I have a ASUS P5N32-E SLI Plus (nforce 650i) MOBO with Q6600 CPU running Voodoo Kernel 9.5.0 RC1 and slashack nForceATA kext allowing me to use my full 6GB RAM with a wired USB keyboard & optical mouse

BUT I have mouse scrolling problems (back scrolling produces grey horizontal bands across the window obscuring text but forward scrolling is OK) in Adobe Reader and also suddenly erratic mouse behaviour with rapid cursor movements not controllable by the mouse......it tends to happen after a long period of use (hours to a day).......most of the time the erratic cursor problem can be solved by sleeping the computer and then waking it up......if I can manage to manoeuvre the mouse pointer to select Sleep!...... :blink:

Is this likely to be a CPU be a timing/synching issue with the Voodoo kernel......the problem apparently disapears if one boots with cpus=1 according to Kelly Kelly here......have any beta testers reported such problems with an nForce chipset + Intel CPU MOBO setup......?

BTW I have HPET enabled in BIOS because I dual boot with Vista.......could this be the cause of the problem......how does HPET interact with the Voodoo kernel (sorry if this is a naive question).....?

AMD Athlon 64 users with SSE2 only cpu cannot boot in 64bit mode. Must use -legacy bootflag. This will be fixed in final release by forcing these cpus to boot in 32bit only mode

The mouse bug is under investigation. It had been fixed in beta2 but seems to have reappeared in RC for some people. Until then try booting up with c1ramp=0 bootflag and see if it helps.

Hi Mercurysquad tried it with my P4 rig and I had the following problem.

Kernel Panics on P4 2.4b Northwood. It's on a P4i65G uses that ICH5 Chipset, and it is overclocked. Worked on beta 2c with custom busratio and fsb boot flag.

Things noted and tried:

- correct detection of fsb and busratio

- legacy bootflag incase for some reason it tried running in 64bit

- manual setting of fsb and busratio

- removed intelcpupowermanagement.kext had a disabler but removed just to be sure.

Attatched the KP screenshot.

post-103210-1227980043_thumb.jpg

AMD Athlon 64 users with SSE2 only cpu cannot boot in 64bit mode. Must use -legacy bootflag. This will be fixed in final release by forcing these cpus to boot in 32bit only mode

The mouse bug is under investigation. It had been fixed in beta2 but seems to have reappeared in RC for some people. Until then try booting up with c1ramp=0 bootflag and see if it helps.

Thanks for prompt reply. BTW myself and KellyKelly had experienced the same problem with Beta 2c........I am trying system booted with c1ramp=0 presently.......

I've been running with 8Gb of RAM on an Athlon X2 for quite a while, now. You don't have to run leopard in 64-bit mode for it to be able to use >4Gb. However, you need to make sure that your chipset driver is up to date. I've only found one NForce driver that was fixed to be able to access >4Gb of RAM. All the other ones would KP whenever you'd cross the 4Gb boundary.

with the 4 GB ram error did you update you kext to allow use of 4 GB's

found here

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=127611

Thanks for the reply. I updated the kexts but still can't boot in 64bit with 8GB RAM unless I give an "-x" flag. Flag "-generic" with RC works but no 64bit, as is with xnu-kernel 9.5b2 (boots normally without flags). I get several warnings during boot - sorry I don't have my camera yet for a screenshot. 

My system is Asus M3A32-MVP Deluxe, Phenom 9850BE, 4x2 GB RAM, ATI 2600XT. OSX 10.5.5 through Leo4All or iDeneb (tried them both). I am with xnu-kernel RC, Chameleon 1.0.12, dsdt patcher, stock System.kext 9.5 and AppleSMBIOS.kext, superhai''s SMBIOSResolver.kext,  ChunNan/Eureka’s SMBIOSEFI.kext and latest darwin-ata kexts. I've tried several combinations (including BIOS parameters such as IDE/AHCI SATA mode, disable USB Legacy mode etc.) without any success yet. Bloody Yukon.kext gives a warning but works in 32bit mode. I suspect AppleACPIPlatform and IOUSBFamily kexts.

You need to delete /System/Library/Extensions.mkext, and type command sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions

Then reboot. You should get the Updating Boot Caches message before it reboots. If not, boot with -f bootflag.

I already did that even before you suggested. :P Still, the KP is occurring every time I use vanilla System.kext from 10.5.5 :D Any ideas? :)

I already did that even before you suggested. :P Still, the KP is occurring every time I use vanilla System.kext from 10.5.5 :D Any ideas? :)

Someone had the same problem last night and fixed it by using stock System.kext and stock AppleACPIPlatform.kext.

Try this System.kext. Also if you are using any kind of patched AppleACPIPlatform.kext, revert it back to vanilla.

Could someone with a AMD system with a full retail install without patched CPUID by Marvin's Utility

Try to run Marvin's Utility

First try it in 64 bit mode (pry won't work)

Than try it in 32 bit mode (boot with -legacy)

See if you can get it to work and report back here with your info

thanks

thanks guys

using amd opteron k8 939 nforce3

getting message (i think the address varies) when trying to boot an intel 1055 install with new kernel on the above via ide nforce3 and using original nforceata kext and -legacy:-

dma buffer 0xfbb186 not 4 byte aligned

dma buffer 0x13a67186 not 4 byte aligned

boot gets up to ntupdate[60]: no servers etc.etc

it looks really good up to this point.

any ideas?

cheers

ps, can you recommend a good chat forum for this. thx ;)

any cool feature sures on the final release ?

Yes, from xnu-dev google code page:

Final release might be delayed by a day or two as we work on updating the documentation and fixing a few minor bugs + adding a cool new feature sure to please you all. If we don't get done by Monday 1 Dec, please be patient, it'll come soon enough!

Ewerething works perfect (all apps including iphoto and premiere which newer works normal for me),  except sleep. But on the next day after kernet install macos has dissapear from the booting os's list  :D (it's doesn't matter because i'm planning to install native macos)

might be a stupid question but since i haven't seen any answer... :D

is the real-time AMD patching implemented in this RC release or will it on be available in the final kernel?

Cheers.

Hi, don't take it personally but a LOT of people are not reading the docs, so -

1) Page 1, 2nd paragraph: Technologies included in the Voodoo kernel range from emulation of SSE3 instructions, to on-the-fly patching of loadable binaries.

2) Page 2 whole section under Kernel Features - On-the-fly opcode patcher: The Voodoo kernel has the ability to patch Apple binaries automatically while loading them.

Hi Guys,

I was just wandering if someone can clarify the requirements for modifying nv* and ge* kexts-> info.plist files for nforce chipsets.

I have found some info here:-

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=127212

you have to add device information to

<key>IOPCIClassMatch</key>

<string>0x03000000&0xff000000</string>

before

<key>IOPCIPrimaryMatch</key>

to prevent nvidia hardware from conflicting.

Would it be possible to provide this information at boot so that you could avoid modifying any of the nv* and ge* kexts?

maybe you could identify if the system is nforce in kernel boot and then provide a fix for this?

i have heard that some people had Maybe this only applies to older set-ups?

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...aded&start=

I am seriously confused. Can anyone clarify what needs modifying in leopard and also whether its possible to fix this in the kernel.

This would be a major step forward for nvidia nforce hardware compatibility.

Cheers

HC

OK, here's my review of the new RC1 voodoo kernel and Boot-132 installation method:

System specs:

Mainboard: K8T Neo2 v2.0 VIA K8T800 Pro + 8237R Plus Chipset Based

CPU: Athlon64 3200+ (supports SSE3)

RAM: 2GB DDR-400

Video: NVidia Geforce 7800GS 256MB (AGP)

Both target installation HDD and DVD-Rom writer are connected as master on separate IDE ports.

I am currently running Leo4Allv2 (Leopard 10.5.2).

I have no major issues with the OS except for the missing sleep function. Every application runs smooth. I have had some crashes here and there but I believe they were caused by transmission (1.40) during heavy downloading.

Tests with voodoo kernel on the root of my current 10.5.2 system:

I added the stock 10.5.5 System.kext file, as recommended in the voodoo kernel documentation (USB hot plug will not work without it).

Booting is fine with and without the -legacy switch, but sleeping only works with -legacy.

Applications I have tried include Photoshop CS4, Toast 9, Camino, Thunderbird, Transmission, VLC, iTunes, and more. All of them work correctly.

Subjectively, I would say that the system seems smoother with the voodoo kernel and I have not had any severe crashes.

The only minor thing I noticed is that the system will freeze when I use the "Reboot" function.

I would like to be able to run the system in 64-bit mode, but it will remain off for now since this cancels out the sleep functionality.

Tests with Boot-132 boot CD:

I was really psyched to find out about the possibility of installing the retail version of Leopard but unfortunately, it's not so simple. Mainly because there is a ton of methods of installation that require heavy experimenting. Plus most of the info was based on things intended for Intel CPU's.

I followed Munky's advice and concentrated my efforts on getting a proper Boot-132 CD custom-made for my AMD system before anything else.

I tried the slimbuild.sh and the nice SlimbuildGUI made by pcwiz. The CD's produced booted fine and allowed me to use the voodoo kernel to boot the retail disk. Unfortunately, the kernel rebooted the system each and every time with the error message:

"Attempting to determine cpu multiplier. If system reboots RDMSR causes a fault at 198h..." (which only blinks for a split second making it very hard to read). I am sure it is not the kernel's fault because, as I said before, it works find in my current installation.

I tried fixing the problem by using different kernel extension files and also by entering the fsb, busratio and busratiomethod switches with proper values, but the error just kept happening.

Finally, Sherry Haibara pointed me in the right direction: I had to use an already existing Boot-132 ISO file and modify it using the terminal. (Many thanks Sherry!!)

Apparently, slimbuild cannot create correct CD's for voodoo kernel use on AMD. (?)

Ok, so now I had a working Boot-132 CD. I booted the retail DVD by entering:

rd(0,1)/mach_kernel.voodoo -legacy -v boot-uuid=<my_retail_uuid_number_here>

as described in Munky's thread.

The installation process continued up to the point where the language selection list should show up. I could only see the background image (the violet space background scene) and the spinning beach ball (which could still be moved around with the mouse). It was almost 2 in the AM so I gave up at that point.

Right now I'm preparing a new Boot-132 CD with all of the Extensions of my current Leopard system, since I'm not absolutely sure of which exact kext files I need.

Well, that pretty much sums it up. I will post back as soon as I try out the new boot CD. If everything goes well, I will go with Munky's method and put the boot-132 files on the extra GUID boot partition.

Thanks again to the developers of this great kernel. It is really a massive improvement for us AMD users.

Cheers,

- hecker

How exactly does one create a boot 132 CD, with this kernel, for AMD machines?

I have a friend who want's to be able to run software updates directly from apple, but with Leo4All it's impossible. We're trying retail installation tomorrow with this kernel.

Unfortunately, the kernel rebooted the system each and every time with the error message:

"Attempting to determine cpu multiplier. If system reboots RDMSR causes a fault at 198h..."

I have not read your whole post but no, the above message comes from the bootloader. There is no such message in the kernel and I'm sure because I've worked extensively with the cpu multiplier / rdmsr stuff in the kernel.

It looks like boot132 doesnt support AMD because it's trying to read MSR 198h, which is only present in pentium M or better cpus. AMD uses a different MSR. Once the kernel is done maybe I'll hack on the munky-boot132 code and port over the cpu multi code from the kernel to support all other CPUs. Seems until then people are outta luck with using this particular bootloader. Ask bhast2 which bootloader he used to boot retail.

How exactly does one create a boot 132 CD, with this kernel, for AMD machines?

I have a friend who want's to be able to run software updates directly from apple, but with Leo4All it's impossible. We're trying retail installation tomorrow with this kernel.

This method can only be used on a pre-existing OS X system.

To create a boot-132 CD for AMD aka "Sherry's Method":

Download a pre-existing ISO file. I used the GA-965P-DS3.iso which you can get here.

EDIT: I used the orig_boot-132.iso for my retail installation.

Double click the ISO file to mount it (a new device named NEWISO will appear).

Create a folder named ISO on your Desktop and copy all of the contents of the iso file to it.

Copy your voodoo kernel into the Desktop.

Create an Extensions folder on your Desktop and copy the kext files you need into it.

Enter the following in your terminal window

sudo su
cp -R /Volumes/NEWISO/ /Users/your_user/Desktop/ISO/

Make the target INITRD.IMG file writable by entering:

chmod 777 /Users/your_user/Desktop/ISO/INITRD.IMG

Before making changes to the initrd file, see if you have enough space in it to fit your extension kexts and voodoo kernel. If not, you can enlarge it by entering (this example uses 100MB, but you can up it to what you need):

hdiutil resize -size 100MB /Users/your_user/Desktop/ISO/INITRD.IMG

Mount the INITRD.IMG by double clicking it.

Copy the voodoo kernel into the root of initrd.img

cp -R /Users/your_user/Desktop/mach_kernel.voodoo /Volumes/initrd/

Copy the extension files you need into the initrd image (this example assumes you have an Extensions folder in your Desktop):

cp -R /Users/your_user/Desktop/Extensions/ /Volumes/initrd/Extra/Extensions/

Unmount the INITRD image and create the new ISO file.

hdiutil makehybrid -o /Users/your_user/Desktop/NEW  /Users/your_user/Desktop/ISO/ -iso -eltorito-boot /Users/your_user/Desktop/ISO/ISOLINUX.BIN -no-emul-boot

Finally, burn the new.iso file to a CD.

And done!

Hope this helps.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that all of the kext files must be edited (original superhai's instructions, here). The easiest way to do this is to download pcwiz's excellent Slimbuild BOOT ISO Creator. The idea is to add all of the extensions you need into the slimbuild first, and let it create an ISO. slimbuild will edit all of the files appropriately so all you need to do is to copy the edited kext files (you can find them in the "Extensions" folder of the slimbuild application) to create the Boot-132 ISO.

Another thing: to find out what the UUID of your installation DVD is, insert the installation retail DVD and then open "Disk Utility" and right click on the DVD.

I have not read your whole post but no, the above message comes from the bootloader. There is no such message in the kernel and I'm sure because I've worked extensively with the cpu multiplier / rdmsr stuff in the kernel.

It looks like boot132 doesnt support AMD because it's trying to read MSR 198h, which is only present in pentium M or better cpus. AMD uses a different MSR. Once the kernel is done maybe I'll hack on the munky-boot132 code and port over the cpu multi code from the kernel to support all other CPUs. Seems until then people are outta luck with using this particular bootloader. Ask bhast2 which bootloader he used to boot retail.

Ok. I assumed that because the kernel works fine on my running system.

The boot-132 method does indeed work, when you edit a pre-existing ISO file!

Munky uses Chameleon bootloader on the boot-132
Yes, but I needed a working Boot-132 for AMD first. I actually intend to use Chameleon myself once I can fully boot and install the Leo retail disk.

The only issue left for me (which I do not think can be solved in my system) is:

- Can be put to sleep. Resume from sleep on Bios S3 works but cannot use kbd or mouse. Mouse ptr appears but cannot be used, kbd no use. both are usb.

For this I tried several kext advice but no luck...

Otherwise everything that I used and want to use is mint.

I like to use Native OSX from within a VMWare machine in XP, with b2c, gave a KP, with RC gave the famous kernel stack fault message. Works well 0n 10.5.3 /9.3.0 Modbin, as it is for diags purposes when in XP, I leave it at that.

I use a P4 Prescott HTT Dell Dim 8300, w/hpet. ATI Radeon AGP 512 MB. and following best kexts that worked (all others vanilla 10.5.5):

OSX 10.5.5 / 9.5.0 Voodoo RC

ACPIPS2Nub.kext

AGPGart.kext 2.7.1

AppleAC97Audio.kext 1.0.0

ApplePS2Controller.kext 2.0.0

AppleSMBIOSEFI.kext

ATIinject.kext (with hex binary dev id, vend id change)

ATIRadeonX1000.kext (vanilla - info.plist dev id vend id change) 1.5.30.17

Disabler.kext

IOATAFamily.kext (recompiled source)

IONDRVSupport.kext (from OSX 10.4.7 to recognise AGP) 10.4.3

com.apple.Boot.plist (add gfx string of ATI grafix card)

and this is an abv report:

bgrau’s Dimension 8300

30/11/2008 14:25

Hardware:

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: Mac Pro

Model Identifier: MacPro3,1

Processor Name: Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU

Processor Speed: 3 GHz

Number Of Processors: 1

Total Number Of Cores: 1

CPU Features: FPU VME DE PSE TSC MSR PAE MCE CX8 APIC SEP MTRR PGE MCA CMOV PAT PSE36 CLFSH DS ACPI MMX FXSR SSE SSE2 SS HTT TM SSE3 MON DSCPL CID

Memory: 1.5 GB

Bus Speed: 3.2 GHz

Boot ROM Version: MP31.88Z.006C.B05.0802291410 (Apple Inc.)

Serial Number: W1234567890

L2 Cache: 512 KB

Network:

Built-in Serial Port (1):

Type: PPP (PPPSerial)

Hardware: Modem

BSD Device Name: serial1

IPv4:

Configuration Method: PPP

IPv6:

Configuration Method: Automatic

Proxies:

FTP Passive Mode: Yes

Bluetooth:

Type: PPP (PPPSerial)

Hardware: Modem

BSD Device Name: Bluetooth-Modem

IPv4:

Configuration Method: PPP

IPv6:

Proxies:

Ethernet Adaptor (en0):

Type: Ethernet

Hardware: Ethernet

BSD Device Name: en0

IPv4 Addresses: 192.168.0.6

IPv4:

Addresses: 192.168.0.6

Configuration Method: DHCP

Interface Name: en0

NetworkSignature: IPv4.Router=192.168.0.1;IPv4.RouterHardwareAddress=00:1b:2f:97:eb:be

Router: 192.168.0.1

Subnet Masks: 255.255.255.0

IPv6:

DNS:

Server Addresses: 192.168.0.1

DHCP Server Responses:

Domain Name Servers: 192.168.0.1

Lease Duration (seconds): 0

DHCP Message Type: 0x05

Routers: 192.168.0.1

Server Identifier: 192.168.0.1

Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

Proxies:

Exceptions List: *.local, 169.254/16

Ethernet:

MAC Address: 00:0c:f1:bc:53:02

Media Options: Full Duplex

Media Subtype: 100baseTX

AirPort:

Type: AirPort

Hardware: AirPort

BSD Device Name: en1

IPv4:

IPv6:

Proxies:

Ethernet:

MAC Address: 00:11:50:08:79:cc

Media Options:

Media Subtype: Auto Select

FireWire:

Type: FireWire

Hardware: FireWire

BSD Device Name: fw0

IPv4:

IPv6:

Proxies:

Ethernet:

MAC Address: 00:11:06:00:00:00:34:66

Media Options: Full Duplex

Media Subtype: Auto Select

Software:

System Software Overview:

System Version: Mac OS X 10.5.5 (9F33)

Kernel Version: Darwin 9.5.0

Boot Volume: MACOSX

Boot Mode: Normal

Computer Name: bgrau’s Dimension 8300

User Name: bgrau (bgrau)

Time since boot: 1:42

Diagnostics:

Power On Self-Test:

Last Run: 30/11/2008 12:43

Result: Passed

FireWire:

FireWire Bus:

Maximum Speed: Up to 400 Mb/sec

Graphics/Displays:

ATI Radeon X1600:

Chipset Model: ATY,RadeonX1600

Type: Display

Bus: AGP

VRAM (Total): 512 MB

Vendor: ATI (0x1002)

Device ID: 0x71c2

Revision ID: 0x0000

EFI Driver Version: 01.00.068

Displays:

VGA Display:

Resolution: 1152 x 870 @ 75 Hz

Depth: 32-bit Color

Core Image: Hardware Accelerated

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Quartz Extreme: Supported

QuartzGL: Supported

Rotation: Supported

Display Connector:

Memory:

Bank/CHANNEL A DIMM 0:

Size: 512 MB

Type: SDRAM

Speed: 400 MHz

Bank/CHANNEL B DIMM 0:

Bank/CHANNEL A DIMM 1:

Bank/CHANNEL B DIMM 1:

Power:

System Power Settings:

AC Power:

System Sleep Timer (Minutes): 0

Disk Sleep Timer (Minutes): 10

Display Sleep Timer (Minutes): 180

Sleep On Power Button: No

Wake On LAN: Yes

Hardware Configuration:

UPS Installed: No

Printers:

Adobe PDF 8.0:

hp deskjet 5100:

Serial-ATA:

Serial-ATA Bus:

Maxtor 7Y250M0:

Capacity: 233.76 GB

Model: Maxtor 7Y250M0

Revision: YAR51EW0

Serial Number: Y6398AVE

Removable Media: No

Detachable Drive: No

BSD Name: disk2

Protocol: ata

Unit Number: 0

Socket Type: Serial-ATA

Mac OS 9 Drivers: No

Partition Map Type: MBR (Master Boot Record)

S.M.A.R.T. status: Verified

USB:

USB High-Speed Bus:

Host Controller Location: Expansion Slot

Host Controller Driver: AppleUSBEHCI

PCI Device ID: 0x24dd

PCI Revision ID: 0x0002

PCI Vendor ID: 0x8086

Bus Number: 0xfd

FreeAgentDesktop:

Capacity: 698.64 GB

Removable Media: Yes

Detachable Drive: Yes

BSD Name: disk3

Version: 0.00

Bus Power (mA): 500

Speed: Up to 480 Mb/sec

Manufacturer: Seagate

Mac OS 9 Drivers: No

Partition Map Type: MBR (Master Boot Record)

Product ID: 0x3000

Serial Number: 5QD492KR

S.M.A.R.T. status: Not Supported

Vendor ID: 0x0bc2

Volumes:

USB Bus:

Host Controller Location: Expansion Slot

Host Controller Driver: AppleUSBUHCI

PCI Device ID: 0x24de

PCI Revision ID: 0x0002

PCI Vendor ID: 0x8086

Bus Number: 0x7d