Voodoo XNU Kernel - Release Candidate .. released ;-)

mercurysquad

Success vs. Failure of RC1  

188 members have voted

1. 1. Has Voodoo RC1 been working well for you?

• Absolutely
    • Some issues, nothing major
    • No. I have major issues.

271 posts in this topic

So far so good on an evga 680i mobo and a core 2 quad 6700. I ran xbench, and it seemed to speed up my ram score quite a bit. The only thing that I've had fairly consistently is sleep issues. When I come out of sleep mode, my ps/2 key/mouse stop working.

Has anyone run Geekbench on a freshly booted AMD system in both 64bit and 32bit mode and compared how much of a difference it makes?

Either that, or some other simpler benchmark, perhaps encoding an mp3 or something.

This was the first thing that i did after booting with the RC Kernel..

Geekbench 2.015

64bit - 3073

32bii - 2656

Xbench has same scores (about 150 +-5) when running with and without -legacy flag

guys i still don't get it.. why and how do you boot retail DVDs? is it just a challenge, or there's something else? i'm curious to, but i read a couple of topics and looks kinda complicated, and i'm not totally noob..

Has anyone run Geekbench on a freshly booted AMD system in both 64bit and 32bit mode and compared how much of a difference it makes?

Either that, or some other simpler benchmark, perhaps encoding an mp3 or something.

Run some benchmarks on the laptop with specs in sig:

Geekbench scores:

9.4.0 StageXNU - 1249

9.5.0 Voodoo RC 32bit mode - 1242

9.5.0 Voodoo RC 64bit mode - 1459

Xbench:

9.4.0 StageXNU - 40,20

9.5.0 Voodoo RC - 38,10 (I guess Xbench runs only in 32 bit mode; or it defaults to 64 if the platform is supported?)

The benchmarking differences aren't that high, but the system does feel snappier and more responsive in 64bit. Sleep works (although display doesn't wake up, when the system does - but that not a kernel related issue), faster boot time.

Will be testing also on the desktop box anytime soon.

I keep seeing obscure hints that running this voodoo rc kernel on non-vanilla CPUs (like P4 and PD) allows unhindered updates using the Apple SW Update feature. How exactly? Does this mean there is no need for dsmos.kext? Can someone point to a guide that is not 1500-posts long and full of conflicting half truths. If one is successfully running 10.5.2 on a PD with the few 10.5.5 kexts needed for this voodoo rc kernel, how does one get to 10.5.5 easily?

I have had mixed results with the new kernel. The problems I had with the Beta 2 kernel appear to be resolved and that's good. I have had one kernel panic after the system had been running for about an hour. However, it has been up now for 3.5 hours and no problems.

I ran the test plans from the B2 kernel with these results.

Test 1 Sleep/Resume Passed:				[X] Yes [_] No [_] With issues

Test 2 Shutdown Passed:i				   [X] Yes [_] No [_] With issues

Test 3 Audio/Video performance Passed:	 [X] Yes [_] No [_] With issues

Test 4 AMD Athlon Dual-core Timing Passed:  N/A

Test 5 TSC stability Passed:			   [X] Yes [_] No [_] With issues

Test 6 Phenom TSC sync Passed:			 N/A

Test 7 Cache information Passed:		   [_] Yes [X] No [_] With issues

My system specs are in the sig below. Basically, Intel P4 Prescott with HTT - socket 478.

The 10.5.2 to 10.5.5 SW update did not work on P4—there was a KP as the SW updater got started—going to back to 10.5.2 with 10.5.5 System kext, voodoo rc, etc.

Thanks howarchaic, I will give it a try on a P4 now running voodoo rc on 10.5.2 with the 10.5.5 System.kext and SMSEFI kext.

Has anyone succeeded on booting with >4GB on AMD ? While my Asus M3A32-MVP Deluxe/Phenom 9850/8GB RAM/OSX 10.5.5 runs with kernel 9.5b2 (in 32bit though) it hangs with RC. The same machine also boots fine Linux so it can't be the RAM.

RC is indeed the first XNU kernel I managed to get 64bit on AMD which is huge for me. Sleep still doesn't work on AMD or Intel (maybe I am doing something wrong but I don't how to start) as is shutdown/restart (never worked on AMD, used to work on Intel but no more).

Try booting with -f

-f did no good

I was finally able to get it to boot with -legacy

I should also add that when I boot without the -legacy flag, my HDD's audibly power down at the moment that it would normally say "Jettisoning kernel linker." With the legacy flag, it boots right up, faster than beta2.

@gorg

I've been running with 8Gb of RAM on an Athlon X2 for quite a while, now. You don't have to run leopard in 64-bit mode for it to be able to use >4Gb. However, you need to make sure that your chipset driver is up to date. I've only found one NForce driver that was fixed to be able to access >4Gb of RAM. All the other ones would KP whenever you'd cross the 4Gb boundary.

Thanks for all the feedback guys. Keep in mind, if you are experiencing a specific issue with the RC kernel then it is much easier for us to help you out if you submit a bug report at the project site:

http://code.google.com/p/xnu-dev/issues

Before creating a new bug report, make sure that no existing issues apply to the problem you are experiencing. If one already exists, please submit a comment for the issue with any additional data and a description of your system and hardware configuration.

VMware users: A kernel panic will occur upon starting a virtual machine if the currently running kernel is not located at /mach_kernel. If it is already located there on your system and you are still experiencing issues, please file a bug report.

ATA issues: (aka. "getPhysicalSegment() out of 32b range" panic) Many users with old ATA drivers (particularly NForceATA) are experiencing instability when booted into 64-bit mode or with >=4GB of memory. Please use a patched ATA driver available here (thanks to bhast2 for reminding me about this).

AMD64 users: 64-bit support is enabled by default but still considered experimental, so before submitting a bug report please attempt to boot with -legacy to see if your problems persist in 32-bit mode.

If you haven't already done so before having tested RC1, remove your old /S/L/Extensions.mkext and boot with -f. Also, verify that the System.kext you have installed on your system corresponds to 10.5.5.

We are interested in quantified data (ie. Geekbench scores) if you notice a performance decrease with respect to earlier Voodoo betas or other kernels. If you are booted into 64-bit mode and notice a slow-down, we are also interested in such data in comparison with 32-bit mode.

And once again, if you experience a kernel panic do not simply reboot and expect us to be able to diagnose what went wrong. Submit a bug report with a screenshot of the kernel panic, your system configuration information (including hardware, what custom kexts you have installed, and what version of OS X you are running), and a description of what you were doing at the time of the panic.

Hi, my Turion processor becomes hot as if it was under heavy load. Fan works loud all the time. Still Activity Monitor shows CPU's idle about 95% of time. This issue appeared with beta2 of the kernel and remains with RC.

Try booting with c1ramp=0 (or c1ramping=0 .. I can't remember).

Both flags didn't help. Even c1rampage=0..

Actually most reboots with RC regardless of flags I see kernel_task endlessly loading CPU 20%.

Now I'm on beta1, that behaves ok.

A better shot of my KP...

post-125533-1227850579_thumb.jpg

Any help would be amazing as I think this would also help with my other problem of not being able to use the burning function of my sata burner...

This problem is due to the IDE kext not handling 4G of ram. Set your maxmem to 2048 and you should see the problem go away. You will need a more current IDE driver to get around the problem.

Works.

Geekbench (Beta2c vs RC1):

Total Score 2094 vs 2127

Integer (Score: 1900 vs 1945)

Floating Point (Score: 2397 vs 2473)

Memory (Score: 2041 vs 2019)

Stream (Score: 1820 vs 1775)

Will report back on system reponse, stability, et cetera later.

Will test P4 530 tomorrow.  Beta2c's performance was very poor, as in something like an Xbench score of 11.  Currently using Modbin 9.4 on the P4 box with adequate performance.

I am sure it was just coincidence (it was an old motherboard) but the messing around with a new install after the 10.5.2 to 10.5.5 update disaster killed my CMOS! All I can get is Fatal Error when I try to call up the BIOS screen to make some settings for SATA, etc., but my secret weapon is a new EFIX dongle for the next new motherboard.

The 10.5.2 to 10.5.5 SW update did not work on P4—there was a KP as the SW updater got started—going to back to 10.5.2 with 10.5.5 System kext, voodoo rc, etc.

Thanks howarchaic, I will give it a try on a P4 now running voodoo rc on 10.5.2 with the 10.5.5 System.kext and SMSEFI kext.

Yes, why? :unsure:

It was the orion nebula btw.

It looked cool

My system specs are in the sig below. Basically, Intel P4 Prescott with HTT - socket 478.

Same problem here every kernel has that problem it shouldn't effect the preformace