Atheros AR5007 working but not perfect. Heres the guide.

oldmaclover

430 posts in this topic

SOMEBODY STICKY THIS {censored}!!!

I followed oldmaclover's instructions but no joy - mad props though for getting this party started.

myi4u and w3c.org take a bow - the en0 to en1 did the trick for me.

For all the guys who posted their heartaches - keep the faith! You will someday be able to surf on the net fantastic! :)

After following oldmaclover's instruction, I was able to detect my card but not get on a network. I was able to set up an adhoc network and connect - but no infrastructure or internet connection.

I did the en0 to en1 change and my heart sank when airport was blank and Kismac could not detect any network at all. I thought that route was made of phail. I clicked on 'open network interfaces' and it told me it detected a second airport card! I clicked on it - still nothing happened....

...until I opened Kismac! The networks in my area suddenly came flooding in, including my own!

I havent restarted yet, but if I lose access - the fact Im writing this here and now - weeks of late nights, frustration and ridicule make it all worth it.

My setup - emachines D620 laptop with AMD Athlon 64 running at 1.6mHz, 2gb of memory, 160gb hard drive, AR5007eg wireless card and an ATi x1200 graphics card.

S/W - iDeneb 10.5.5, all options checked except for LAN and Video.

--restarting now!--

EDIT: IM BACK!!! I had to start kismac before the network card would start - not sure if its a bad thing - but this means the missus doesnt get to use the brand new family hackintosh :D

EDIT2: Annnnd I'm back again...so aside from having to start kismac every time, I actually need to rejoin my network - i.e. typing the network name and wep code - everytime I want to use the internet.

Not complaining - just calling it out.

Marathon here I come!

Hello, got mine working, following the instructions on the aspireoneuse forums, then reinstalled the kext, repaired permissions, deleted and added the passive driver in kismac, and it is working, even after reboots, I don't have to reinstall the kext, just the first time, so I guess I did something wrong.

Acer Aspire One, (AAO110-1633 with Atheros AR5BXB63) using vanilla kernell, installed OS X 10.5.5 with the Kalyway 10.5.2 DVD and the guide in this forum on a 30 GB ZIF HDD from a Zune (Toshiba MK3008GAL) and 1 GB RAM, BIOS 3305.

Thank you all, because, you're like Santa Claus to me, you get me what Apple didn't get me, a ver nice netbook. Thank you again to all the people who made this things possible.

EDIT2: Annnnd I'm back again...so aside from having to start kismac every time, I actually need to rejoin my network - i.e. typing the network name and wep code - everytime I want to use the internet.

Not complaining - just calling it out.

Marathon here I come!

hi there, i m not on my netbook at the moment but i am sure that you can actually make your network name default and save the password. so, everytime your network get detected by kismac, you close it and go to airport, then click on your network name and it should connect immediately without having to type the password...

if i remember correctly, the settings are under airport --> network preferences ...

------------

again, thanks to oldmaclover for fitting the pieces together ... at first, i was not very confident in getting my wifi working ... however, thanks to w3c.org who successfully getting the wifi work on aa1 ... in my mind, both aa1 and nc10 are netbooks and they are just out to the market ... and even the latest airport card is using ar5007eg ... so, that makes me think that it is possible to get nc10 wifi card working on mac os x ....

just ranting ... cheers everyone

Well. It seems that difference between working and not working AR5007 is quite random. My hypothesis:

1) BIOS. Some BIOS probably initialise AR5007 better then others

2) Subdevice. While chipset is done by atheros there are still some components tweaked my "subvendor"

3) DSDT. Some DSDT may bring up AR5007 more nicely

4) EEPROM

5) different ioreg declarations

To check this hypothesis we would need output from (under linux):

lspci -vvn
ath_info -d [address]

Where address comes from "Region 0: Memory at ...." line from lspci.

And from OSX:

ioreg -lw0

And also DSDT dump

P.S: you may use -f boot parameter instead of deleting Extensions.mkext

yeah ... you are quite right ... it seems like there is an update of bios by samsung but i am quite reluctant to update the bios since it is working fine for me at the moment ...

btw, i have the -f parameter automatically run on boot ... which might explain that i do not need to delete the mkext ?? !!

with the samsung nc10 there is a problem with the completely remove o mkext's files and also every time we've to reboot the netbook because kismac can'y recognize any network

i do not have to delete mkext files with samsung nc10.

once reboot, did you go to kismac preferences and delete airport extreme card passive mode and add it back again?

Hi,

i still have the Problem that I can´t find any wlan. I´m going crazzzzzyyyyyyyy...

I installes Ideneb 1.3 with the Vanilla Kernel (1.5.0 I Think)

then I installed the aiport Update.

then the IO...kext file. then i made changes on the 2 .plist files

NetworkInterfaces.plist

- <string> en </string> --> <string> en1 </string>

- <integer> 0 </integer> --> <integer> 1 </integer>

preferences.plist

- <string> en0 </string> --> - <string> en1 </string>

But nothing helped...

I start kismac delete the "Airport Extreme card, passive mode" add it again

start the scan but no on wlan will be found...

What is my misstake???

Hi,

i still have the Problem that I can´t find any wlan. I´m going crazzzzzyyyyyyyy...

I installes Ideneb 1.3 with the Vanilla Kernel (1.5.0 I Think)

then I installed the aiport Update.

then the IO...kext file. then i made changes on the 2 .plist files

NetworkInterfaces.plist

- <string> en </string> --> <string> en1 </string>

- <integer> 0 </integer> --> <integer> 1 </integer>

preferences.plist

- <string> en0 </string> --> - <string> en1 </string>

But nothing helped...

I start kismac delete the "Airport Extreme card, passive mode" add it again

start the scan but no on wlan will be found...

What is my misstake???

I only changed NetworkInterfaces.plist. I left the Preferences.plist untouched.

What you have done is similar to what I did.

1. Install Airport Update then REBOOT

2. Install IO80211family.kext then REBOOT (After reboot, you should be able to see Airport on top)

3. Edit NetworkInterfaces.plist to change en0 to en1, then integer 0 to integer 1 then REBOOT

3. Click on Airport on top

4. Click Network Preferences

5. Click Apply (After apply your airport should turn on automatically)

6. Run Kismac

7. Click Kismac - Preferences

8. Click Driver

9. Add Airport Extreme Card, Passive Mode

10. Close Driver Window

11. Start the Scan

12. Once you found the network, close Kismac

13. Click Airport on the top

14. You should see the list of networks available

Still cannot? I can only suggest that you delete Extensions.mkext* files, then do a REBOOT and start from step 2.

Phew !!

For me it´s working now!! Thank you very much!

i never had to delete the mkext, at startup just remove and add the driver again in kismac.

finding network is fine, but for connecting i have to get quite close to my router. about 5 meters... if he is once connected i can go away about 10 meters... with winxp and the same nc10 and same wlan :-) i can go about 30-40 meters away and he wont disconnect!

is this normal??

thank you again myi4u! without your help it woudn´t work for me!

Ps.: i´ve also changed the en0 to en1 in the preferences file...

no problem comaco, glad that i can contribute ...

apparently the problem with the range that you get is different with Mac and XP is quite technical ... all i can think of is that XP is using the supported atheros driver but in Mac, we are using the modified version of some driver which might affect its full potential ...

well, as long as i don't have to fork out any money to get a compatible wifi card, i don't mind really ...

cheers

hi i'm italian and this method don't work :(

i follow this with my aspire one a150L

1. Install Airport Update then REBOOT

2. Install IO80211family.kext then REBOOT (After reboot, you should be able to see Airport on top)

3. Edit NetworkInterfaces.plist to change en0 to en1, then integer 0 to integer 1 then REBOOT

3. Click on Airport on top

4. Click Network Preferences

5. Click Apply (After apply your airport should turn on automatically)

6. Run Kismac

7. Click Kismac - Preferences

8. Click Driver

9. Add Airport Extreme Card, Passive Mode

10. Close Driver Window

11. Start the Scan

i don't see the wlan list...kismac work and my airport icon is grey with a black simbol, but i don't see the network... i try to change first en0 in en1 and next i i have install the kext, but i haven't any result... :(

now i think that there are 2 type of product id because my wireless card id is different...in the screenshot there are other id...

i have this: airport extreme (0x168C, 0xE008)

tnx for help

when you said that your airport icon is greyed out ... if you click on it, what is the selection that you got? if it shows No Airport Card Installed, it means that it didn't detect your card ... r you able to reach step 4?

you might want to check whether your card is added into the network list ... to do this, you need to edit io80211family.kext and add a string of your vendor id ..

btw, is your NIC not detected? as far as i know, w3c.org is also using aa1 and he has his NIC detected in the first place and his wifi card is automatically set to en1

got any idea how to make this --> 168c,001d (168c,1d) works? if anyone know how please reply

you have to edit the io80211family.kext plist file and add in your vendor and device id in one of the string ... edit it and you will know which line to add ... the plist is located at

/system/library/extensions/io80211family.kext/contents/plugins/airportatheros.kext/contents/info.plist

--------------

guys .. i do apologize because some of my posts were not exactly correct, after all, we are still experimenting ...

i just installed a program called shade which is to control the brightness as there is no way to control brightness using the function keys ... however, the wifi stop working once installed. i believe that it has something to do with the installation ... when i tried to scan using kismac, the airport above was showing only three bars ... and it could not find any wifi network ...

i proceed to delete the extensions.mkext file and it worked after reboot ... phew, what a close shave ... i thought it was never going to work again ... hahaha

here is what i did:

-installed airport update

-reboot

-installed IO80211Family.kext using kexthelper

-reboot

-open Kismac- preferences-delete and add apple airport extreme card, passive mode-start scan

-once detected my network, closed kismac and clicked on airport, selected my network, entered password and it connected

nothing new...

However, i noticed that sometimes my wireless LED indicator on the laptop remained off during boot, which caused my airport logo on the top of the screen to disappear, then I simply shutdown (NOT restart), wait a few seconds and turned back on, the LED went on during OSX boot and I was able to connect to my wlan just fine.

i did not have to edit networkinterfaces.plist at all.

So here I am back here - to post a few observations...

-- I dont have access to network config when I open KisMac. System preference, when clicked, shows up in the bar at the top of the scree - but no menu or window shows up

-- When I close KisMac and AirPort finds the other networks, AirPort still would associate automatically to my router

Maybe its because I dont broadcast the router ID?

my airport icon is yellow and if i click in the icon near the clock then i see "network serching".....i have edit networkpreference, and i see en0 for wireless and en1 for ethernet, but if i change the en number, the sistem restore the original value when i restart... how can i edit the kext for watch the vendor id?

i have open this file:/system/library/extensions/io80211family.kext/contents/plugins/airportatheros.kext/contents/info.plist

inside i see:

etc..................

<key>IONameMatch</key>

<array>

<string>pci106b,0086</string>

<string>pci168c,1c</string>

<string>pci168c,23</string>

<string>pci168c,24</string>

</array>

<key>IOProviderClass</key>

etc............................

well...if i open my information menu, under airport card voice, i see Airport Extreme (0x168C, 0xE008)

ok...what's do i write for add my vendor id?

EDIT: NOW WORK FOR ME!!!!!

i have modified the parameters and i add this string:

168c,1d

etc..................

<key>IONameMatch</key>

<array>

<string>pci106b,0086</string>

<string>pci168c,1c</string>

<string>pci168c,23</string>

<string>pci168c,24</string>

<string>pci168c,1d</string> <-------add this if you don't see the result network :wallbash:

</array>

<key>IOProviderClass</key>

etc............................

congrats to all of u ... glad that it is working ... eventually, u will find a way that works for u ...

since i got my wifi working, i proceed to install programs and things like that ... however, once i installed any programs and reboot, the wifi will fail ... i deleted the mkext file but to no avail ... however, after i go to disk utility and repair permissions ... it worked immediately ...

till then ... i still need to do some experiment in order to know what works best for me ... deleting the mkext file alone does not seem to work everytime ... maybe repair permission would work .. i will test it again next time i install any programs ...

arivee : you should access your router and check whether it is broadcasting or not ... to us, kismac is like an application that kickstart the wifi card to being recognized as airport card ... that's what i thought ... i always broadcast my wifi because my nokia phone needs to connect it ... and i tried disabling the broadcast and my phone could not connect to it even though i have saved the password and connection ...

ok i have a new problem.....

first time, i have modified the kext and wifi worked...now i have install a battery's kext and next i restart the computer....result: kismac don't find any wifi lan.... -_-

i have deleted extension.mkext and restart, but the computer create a new extension file e the wifi don't work...

it has been a frustrating day for me ... i have restarted my netbook for umpteen times just to get the wifi working ... apparently, each time i run any programs that i installed rather than the built in ones, the wifi fail to work after reboot or shutdown ... i come to realize that i may have to;

1. repair permissions

2. delete mkext file

3. reinstall io80211family.kext

till then, i will try again soon and make sure the steps ... i am confused at the moment ...

it has been a frustrating day for me ... i have restarted my netbook for umpteen times just to get the wifi working ... apparently, each time i run any programs that i installed rather than the built in ones, the wifi fail to work after reboot or shutdown ... i come to realize that i may have to;

1. repair permissions

2. delete mkext file

3. reinstall io80211family.kext

till then, i will try again soon and make sure the steps ... i am confused at the moment ...