Atheros AR5007 working but not perfect. Heres the guide.

oldmaclover

430 posts in this topic

I tried to do it earlier on, but it just wouldn't work.

I decided to boot OSX again, just to play around. Opened Kismet, deleted the existing driver, and added it again.

And it worked ! Posting from Safari as we speak !

I'll play around a little more with it and see what happens when I reboot again.

Thanks myi4u, and w3c !

OK, I don't know if some of you have tried that, but anyway.

Sometimes when I boot, everything works fine, I can create an ad-hoc network, connect to it and everything, BUT internet connection sharing doesn't work, which seems a bit strange. Does someone have an idea about that?

comaco : you have to be patient !! hehe ... since it works on most AR5007EG, it should work on yours too ... i read somewhere someplace someforum saying that airport has to be en1 and it will not work on en0 because it is normally for LAN

since you have en1 as your bluetooth device, you should have more records in your networkinterfaces.plist ... why dun you list out the contents of your networkinterfaces.plist and we will decide which one to change ...

as i mentioned, the first thing that you need to do is to make sure that your pcie wifi card is on en1 ... dun install io80211family.kext or open up airport ...

carlucius : since u manage to change your en0 to en1, you might want to follow part 2 in my previous reply for comaco

TI3GIB : for nc10, i believe that after you reboot, it should just be a case of opening kismac, remove airport, add it in, close the driver window and start the scan ...

w3c.org : sadly, samsung nc10's NIC is not even detected during the installation of mac os x ... which is why when we install the kext, it turns out to be en0 ...

OK, I don't know if some of you have tried that, but anyway.

Sometimes when I boot, everything works fine, I can create an ad-hoc network, connect to it and everything, BUT internet connection sharing doesn't work, which seems a bit strange. Does someone have an idea about that?

hi there, i have not tried ad-hoc network or internet connection sharing ... but why would you want to do that? sorry for being busybody ..

btw, are you sharing between two mac machine? did you select different channel from your existing wifi channel?

sorry my poor english, i'm italian.

Can't we try to make a simple command line binary that set the the card in passive mode using the kismac source code base ?

i can't code in Objective-C, but maybe someone can try to extract the usuful code from the kismac sources.

I'm just trying to share an ethernet connection from the hackintosh computer to another computer, via wifi. It works well on OSX, but not on the hackintosh unfortunately, due to the driver. I've tried different channels, everything, but so far it only works every ten reboots or so, which is quite unusable. So far nothing was proven efficient (removing the mkext, repairing the kext, etc.), but I'm always trying.

Well just found out what the problem was... It's *really* weird, but anyway.

So, in order to have a working internet connection sharing, you have to let the Airport TCP/IP thingy in automatic (DHCP), then activate the connection sharing. You can verify with the other computer that the hackintosh is effectively broadcasting the wifi network ESSID. Then, and that's the weird thing, you have to manually give an Airport IP to the server and to the client; DHCP seems not to be working at all. I suggest, as OSX 10.4 does, giving the ip 10.0.2.1 to the server, Subnet mask 255.255.0.0, and router 10.0.2.1. Then on the client, do the same but replace 10.0.2.1 by 10.0.2.2 or what you want.

As the Airport IP will stay the same over a reboot, you'll have to configure it again as Automatic before re-activating internet connection sharing.

Did you have LAN switched off while installation of the OS?

And now, is it still off or ie it on?

If i reinstall my OSX, should i switch it on off in the BIOS, or not?

If i switch it off, WLan gets en0 again, isn´t it? :-)

Thank you for your fast replys!!

Comaco > I don't have a NC10, so I can't really help you... Mine (an Acer 2920z) had the ethernet controller detected since the installation (as en0), so I just had to put the good drivers in and it was ok. Then with the new kext for wireless, airport was detected as en1, so everything was ok.

Did you have LAN switched off while installation of the OS?

And now, is it still off or ie it on?

If i reinstall my OSX, should i switch it on off in the BIOS, or not?

If i switch it off, WLan gets en0 again, isn´t it? :-)

Thank you for your fast replys!!

when i install OSX, both lan and wifi card are not detected, even though my wifi is on in bios, so, i don't get any en0 or en1 which is why i do not have networkinterfaces.plist ...

after i installed io80211family.kext, the wifi card was detected and the system put it on en0 ... then i got networkinterfaces.plist file ... and i proceed to edit the file and change it to en1, reboot ...

hi i'm new and i'm italian

i've a samsung nc10 and change en0 to en1 now in network i can see bluetooth ethernet and airport but it says it is deactivated and with kismac i can't find nothing someone an help me?

hi there, see this post HERE

the second part explains what you need to do ...

sorry my poor english, i'm italian.

Can't we try to make a simple command line binary that set the the card in passive mode using the kismac source code base ?

i can't code in Objective-C, but maybe someone can try to extract the usuful code from the kismac sources.

i was thinking the same thing yesterday....can that be possible? make a kext of this card but in passive mode???

It's working for me!! posting from safari now.

all I did was reboot into windows and reinstalling my atheros inside windows, then rebooting into OSX and running KisMac, detected my network almost instantly!

Thanks myi4u and w3c.org.

I succed to connect to my wifi but i've this problem every time i start the pc mac can't find any network so if i restart again everything works great someone with samsung has the same problem? i

there is a problem the kile.mkext always create by himself how can i remove completely?

Yeah I've got this problem too, it takes me nearly every time two reboots to get the wifi working.

About the .mkext, no you can't delete it completely! OSX uses it as a library to know which extensions are loaded at any time, but also to reduce boot time (I'm speaking of legal Apple computers), it's a feature.

About KisMAC, well I don't have the slightest idea. In fact I don't even know if it's important, I only launched the application once, on the first install of the .kext, and then it was ok.

Hi there,

ich have the same Problem with my Samsung NC10. Wlan works fine but after the reebot I can´t find any Wlan...

I tried to install the IO80211Family.kext again and make this changes:

chmod -R 755 /system/library/extensions/io80211family.kext

chown -R root:wheel /system/library/extensions/io80211family.kext

But nothing works. Kismac can´t find a Wlan.

Then I reinstall the AirPortextreme Update... But it doesn´t help me...

Do you have any Ideas what I do wrong?

Or what is the standard procedure after a reboot?

thanks

Hi there,

ich have the same Problem with my Samsung NC10. Wlan works fine but after the reebot I can´t find any Wlan...

I tried to install the IO80211Family.kext again and make this changes:

chmod -R 755 /system/library/extensions/io80211family.kext

chown -R root:wheel /system/library/extensions/io80211family.kext

But nothing works. Kismac can´t find a Wlan.

Then I reinstall the AirPortextreme Update... But it doesn´t help me...

Do you have any Ideas what I do wrong?

Or what is the standard procedure after a reboot?

thanks

ok ... in my case, i never delete extension.mkext file ... except the first time before i install the io80211family.kext file

whenever you reboot, you need to run kismac ... but dun start the scan yet...

go to preferences, driver, delete the airport extreme passive mode, and add it back again... close the driver window and start the scan ... you should be able to see the wifi network again ...

please read post#63 and let us know which part your are on now ...

Hi all! First of all congratulation for the efforts and the work you are doing for the atheros AR5007. I have a samsung NC10 too and got the same problems like joerg84 and the others. Some time is working fine, after reboot i can't connect to a network. The atheros is on en1, and on en0 I got a working usb key dongle from Linksys. I tried let the Wifi card on, reboot and finding on, or making off, rebooting e find it off and make it on. The result is the same. No Wifi network finding. Trying to disactivate wifi (through airport on the top), then open Kismac, go to the preference, load pasive driver, start scanning... nothing happend, airport remaining off, then activate the airport, trying again to scan, no networks. In 2 days of efforts, I got it working just 2 times. I tray many times to reinstall Airport Update 2008-004, IO8211Family.kext (manually, with Kexthelper and osx86tool) , deleting manually the kext cache, changing permissions and ownership of the IO8211Family.kext and got the same problems. Maybe is something in the setting of Kismac or OSX driver causing this problem. I will play around again and if I find the way, will let you know.

Thanks,

Hi

i got also en1.

hmm there´s something strange... When I start scanning with kismac I can see in the airport logo that there is a Wlan. I have 3 of 4 Lines filled out.

If I scan away of the Wlan router the signal goes down to 1 of 4 lines...

But kismac don´t show the network...

So what can I do?

Hi all! First of all congratulation for the efforts and the work you are doing for the atheros AR5007. I have a samsung NC10 too and got the same problems like joerg84 and the others. Some time is working fine, after reboot i can't connect to a network. The atheros is on en1, and on en0 I got a working usb key dongle from Linksys. I tried let the Wifi card on, reboot and finding on, or making off, rebooting e find it off and make it on. The result is the same. No Wifi network finding. Trying to disactivate wifi (through airport on the top), then open Kismac, go to the preference, load pasive driver, start scanning... nothing happend, airport remaining off, then activate the airport, trying again to scan, no networks. In 2 days of efforts, I got it working just 2 times. I tray many times to reinstall Airport Update 2008-004, IO8211Family.kext (manually, with Kexthelper and osx86tool) , deleting manually the kext cache, changing permissions and ownership of the IO8211Family.kext and got the same problems. Maybe is something in the setting of Kismac or OSX driver causing this problem. I will play around again and if I find the way, will let you know.

Thanks,

hmm.. sometimes, even though we are using samsung nc10, but the versions of mac os x we installed are different ... so it is quite hard to determine the fault especially some modifications on the kernel are made ...

when i read the first post by oldmaclover, he stated that vanilla kernel ... thus, things may work differently for modified kernel .. but since you got the wifi working once, it should be a good beginning ...

when i first got the wifi working, i browsed for hours ... after rebooting, i open up kismac preferences --> driver , delete airport extreme passive mode and add it back again, and start the scan ... seconds later, the available networks are listed ...

sorry for repeating what i say ... but as i said, if that does not work for you, it may be down to the version of mac os x that we used ...

myi4u <-- Thank you very much for your work, your fast answers and for that, that you have been so patient with me.

Now it´s working for me, got en1, finding some wlan, i can connect, then i´m online for about 10 sek and then it hopps off again. but i´m on the right way! thank you very much!

I did already heard of other people with the same hopp off problem. so i´ll also fix that for me! thank you!

have you any quick suggestion for this problem??

Thanx!!

myi4u <-- Thank you very much for your work, your fast answers and for that, that you have been so patient with me.

Now it´s working for me, got en1, finding some wlan, i can connect, then i´m online for about 10 sek and then it hopps off again. but i´m on the right way! thank you very much!

I did already heard of other people with the same hopp off problem. so i´ll also fix that for me! thank you!

have you any quick suggestion for this problem??

Thanx!!

hmm... regarding that prob ... i believe they were talking about closing kismac immediately after it detected wifi ... have u tried that?