Atheros AR5007 working but not perfect. Heres the guide.

• Please log in to reply
429 replies to this topic

comaco

comaco

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I´m also a nc10 user but i just can´t get wifi work.

Could you myi4u or any other one please describe me again how you did this?!?

1. delete all the mkext files --> i just find the Extensions.mkext in the Library-folder... are there more than this one?

2. use kext helper to install io80211family.kext --> is this still the original kext from the first post? how do i see that the installation work?

3. repair io80211family.kext permissions --> do you mean the OSX86Tools and there "repair permissions"?

Please help me!! i´m not really firm in this topic... i did just see in my System Profiler that the Airportcard, which is now visible, is on en0... Can i change this? normally it is en1, isn´t it? what can i do?

Help me and all the other nc10 users please!! :-)

comaco

comaco

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
miy4u , or w3c.org or anyone else... please help me! at my reply at 07:07 pm!! Thank you!!!!

myi4u

myi4u

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

miy4u , or w3c.org or anyone else... please help me! at my reply at 07:07 pm!! Thank you!!!!

hi there ... first u need to change your en0 to en1.

you can do so by editing the networkinterface.plist in /library/preferences/systemconfiguration

if you cannot see the file, then u need to install io80211family.kext first... reboot your system and you should be able to see the networkinterface.plist

after you change your en0 to en1, reboot the system again

---------------

once ur atheros is on en1, proceed to install the io80211family.kext using kext helper b7

to be safe, repair the permission using the commands explained by w3c.org which are
chmod -R 755 /system/library/extensions/io80211family.kext
chown -R root:wheel /system/library/extensions/io80211family.kext

after that, reboot your machine again. you should see your airport on the top. click on it and then open network preferences. click apply and it should turn on your airport.

proceed by opening kismac. go to preferences --> driver and add airport extreme passive mode. close that driver window and start scan. if everything is smooth, u should be able to see your list of wifi network. close kismac and click on the airport at the top and it should list your network.

click on the network that you wish to connect and off u go...

try these steps above first and let us know again ... good luck

---------------------

by the way, i do not have to reinstall anything after reboot. i just run kismac, delete the existing airport extreme passive mode and add it back again. start the scan and i am able to see the wifi network ...

TI3GIB

TI3GIB

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Great. I still haven't tried it as I'm using the NC10 now. I should be home in a few and I'll give it a shot. I need you explain where the chmod commands are typed in order to modify permission.

I will grateful if you explain that. (Major mac noob)

w3c.org

w3c.org

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
To Comaco, no, there isn't more than one Extensions.mkext. There could be an Extensions.mkext.something, but just do a rm -r /System/Library/Extensions.* and that will be ok. Yes, it is still the same .kext we're all using, and to repair it, do as you want, by kexthelper, by OSX86Tools or by hand.

To TI3GIB, you can choose between the same three things: using kexthelper, using OSX86Tools, or by hand. The commands, by hand, are, in a normal user Terminal.app window:

cd /System/Library/Extensions/
sudo chown -R root:wheel IO80211Family.kext (you will be asked to enter the admin (root) password)
sudo chmod -R 755 IO80211Family.kext

Don't forget to delete the Extensions.mkext*, and you'll be done.

TI3GIB

TI3GIB

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
When I try to edit en1 in NetworkInterfaces.plist I get a "The Document could not be saved. You do not have appropriate access previlidges" ..

How do I remedy this ?

w3c.org

w3c.org

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

When I try to edit en1 in NetworkInterfaces.plist I get a "The Document could not be saved. You do not have appropriate access previlidges" ..

How do I remedy this ?

First, are you sure you need to edit this? If you already have an ethernet card recognized by OSX, it's ok (because ethernet will be en0, and wifi en1)

Else, fire up Terminal.app and type

sudo nano /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/NetworkInterfaces.plist

then replace

<key>BSD Name</key>
<string>en0</string>

by

<key>BSD Name</key>
<string>en1</string>

and

<key>IOInterfaceUnit</key>
<integer>0</integer>

by

<key>IOInterfaceUnit</key>
<integer>1</integer>

Hit ctrl+x, nano will ask you to save the file, answer Yes, and you're done.

comaco

comaco

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thank you very much for your quick answer myi4u!

I tried it now several times, but i can´t change en0 to en1... i did it exactely as w3c.org wrote by replacing the eno two times, i saved the file but after rebooting it didn´t change. in the file it changed, but in the Systemprofiler it is still en0.

i have lan not aktivated in the bios, but i had installed a usb-bluetoothstick for internet connection with my mobilephone...

this bluetoothdevice was en1. also after changing it in the NetworkInterfaces.plist. so i deinstalled the stick - nothing changed. i deleted the bluetoothparts from the NetworkInterfaces.plist file but in this file, wlan is still en1. anywhere else it is en0. bluetooth is now en2...

what did i do wrong??

I saw the apple ariport item alreadily after first installation of the kext. some hours bevore i wrote you. it was alreadily active and searching but on en0 and not en1.
no i just can´t get it active anymore?

can you help me please? :-)

sorry for my english, i´m from austria (germanspeaking)

Thanx

aao_pink

aao_pink

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts
Bass_2k7: what was s'posed to be in that Atheros_AR5007EG.zip you offered for d/l?

I get a kexthelper, a guide, and an empty resource fork for a driver??

carlusius

carlusius

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts
I managed to change it from en0 to en1, but still can't find any networks :/
got everything working but wireless...

aao_pink, on the guide you downloaded there are links to download all stuff you need, if you are using windows, press control while clicking on them.

aao_pink

aao_pink

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts
Ya, I guess he had the driver in there then pulled it before zipping.
Main worry for me on this project is keeping accurate tabs on
what was downloaded from where, when. version Nrs and
mod dates aren't always a reliable guide...

TI3GIB

TI3GIB

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I tried to do it earlier on, but it just wouldn't work.

I decided to boot OSX again, just to play around. Opened Kismet, deleted the existing driver, and added it again.

And it worked ! Posting from Safari as we speak !

I'll play around a little more with it and see what happens when I reboot again.

Thanks myi4u, and w3c !

w3c.org

w3c.org

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
OK, I don't know if some of you have tried that, but anyway.
Sometimes when I boot, everything works fine, I can create an ad-hoc network, connect to it and everything, BUT internet connection sharing doesn't work, which seems a bit strange. Does someone have an idea about that?

myi4u

myi4u

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
comaco : you have to be patient !! hehe ... since it works on most AR5007EG, it should work on yours too ... i read somewhere someplace someforum saying that airport has to be en1 and it will not work on en0 because it is normally for LAN

since you have en1 as your bluetooth device, you should have more records in your networkinterfaces.plist ... why dun you list out the contents of your networkinterfaces.plist and we will decide which one to change ...

as i mentioned, the first thing that you need to do is to make sure that your pcie wifi card is on en1 ... dun install io80211family.kext or open up airport ...

carlucius : since u manage to change your en0 to en1, you might want to follow part 2 in my previous reply for comaco

TI3GIB : for nc10, i believe that after you reboot, it should just be a case of opening kismac, remove airport, add it in, close the driver window and start the scan ...

w3c.org : sadly, samsung nc10's NIC is not even detected during the installation of mac os x ... which is why when we install the kext, it turns out to be en0 ...

OK, I don't know if some of you have tried that, but anyway.
Sometimes when I boot, everything works fine, I can create an ad-hoc network, connect to it and everything, BUT internet connection sharing doesn't work, which seems a bit strange. Does someone have an idea about that?

hi there, i have not tried ad-hoc network or internet connection sharing ... but why would you want to do that? sorry for being busybody ..

btw, are you sharing between two mac machine? did you select different channel from your existing wifi channel?

cili0

cili0

InsanelyMacaholic

• FAQ Team
  • 3,008 posts
sorry my poor english, i'm italian.

Can't we try to make a simple command line binary that set the the card in passive mode using the kismac source code base ?
i can't code in Objective-C, but maybe someone can try to extract the usuful code from the kismac sources.

w3c.org

w3c.org

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
I'm just trying to share an ethernet connection from the hackintosh computer to another computer, via wifi. It works well on OSX, but not on the hackintosh unfortunately, due to the driver. I've tried different channels, everything, but so far it only works every ten reboots or so, which is quite unusable. So far nothing was proven efficient (removing the mkext, repairing the kext, etc.), but I'm always trying.

Well just found out what the problem was... It's *really* weird, but anyway.
So, in order to have a working internet connection sharing, you have to let the Airport TCP/IP thingy in automatic (DHCP), then activate the connection sharing. You can verify with the other computer that the hackintosh is effectively broadcasting the wifi network ESSID. Then, and that's the weird thing, you have to manually give an Airport IP to the server and to the client; DHCP seems not to be working at all. I suggest, as OSX 10.4 does, giving the ip 10.0.2.1 to the server, Subnet mask 255.255.0.0, and router 10.0.2.1. Then on the client, do the same but replace 10.0.2.1 by 10.0.2.2 or what you want.
As the Airport IP will stay the same over a reboot, you'll have to configure it again as Automatic before re-activating internet connection sharing.

comaco

comaco

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Did you have LAN switched off while installation of the OS?
And now, is it still off or ie it on?

If i reinstall my OSX, should i switch it on off in the BIOS, or not?
If i switch it off, WLan gets en0 again, isn´t it? :-)

Thank you for your fast replys!!

w3c.org

w3c.org

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
Comaco > I don't have a NC10, so I can't really help you... Mine (an Acer 2920z) had the ethernet controller detected since the installation (as en0), so I just had to put the good drivers in and it was ok. Then with the new kext for wireless, airport was detected as en1, so everything was ok.

myi4u

myi4u

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

Did you have LAN switched off while installation of the OS?
And now, is it still off or ie it on?

If i reinstall my OSX, should i switch it on off in the BIOS, or not?
If i switch it off, WLan gets en0 again, isn´t it? :-)

Thank you for your fast replys!!

when i install OSX, both lan and wifi card are not detected, even though my wifi is on in bios, so, i don't get any en0 or en1 which is why i do not have networkinterfaces.plist ...

after i installed io80211family.kext, the wifi card was detected and the system put it on en0 ... then i got networkinterfaces.plist file ... and i proceed to edit the file and change it to en1, reboot ...

palomu

palomu

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts
hi i'm new and i'm italian
i've a samsung nc10 and change en0 to en1 now in network i can see bluetooth ethernet and airport but it says it is deactivated and with kismac i can't find nothing someone an help me?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy