Shuttle SX58H7 installation

TheRealOutsider

13 posts in this topic

Hi, long time lurker, first time poster. I've been on the fence for the past year or so on replacing my G5 iMac with a SFF PC. So i've mainly been looking at the Shuttle barebones. So when the i7 was released last week, I've been on the lookout for the Shuttle version of it and it looks like they are almost ready to launch it.

Here's the webpage: Link

I'll mainly be doing freelance web design on it and lots of Photoshop work. My wife is heavy into iMovie, iDVD, and doing photo books. So I was planning on installing a 920 processor in it and maybe clock it to 2.8GHz (from 2.66). maybe 3GHz if it can take it. It'll have 4GB RAM at first and a pair of 500GB drives, one for boot, files and apps and the other for Superduper backups.

So basically what I was looking for was a little help, advice and guidance on where to start. For example what image to use, if it makes sense to use the EFI-x, etc. The audio (Realtek ALC888) seems to be well supported as does the ethernet (Realtek RTL8111C). The graphics card I plan to use is the SAPPHIRE 100225L Radeon HD 3870. Thanks.

** If tackling the i7 is a little too early and untested, my backup plan was to get the SP45H7 and a Q6600. Still a decent box.

TheRealOutsider,

I think the SX58H7 might be "too new" to install OSX, could be wrong though.....

There are a couple of bods on the forums that use an SP35P2, can't remember where I saw that though........

;)

• 5 months later...

Now that the sx58h7 is out, I just acquired one but am having one helluva time trying to get any osx86 running on it. Anyone had any success? iDeneb's installer works fine but does an endless reboot cycle on the first boot (right when the apple logo pops up, just reboots itself). boot-132 method w/ a 10.5 disk and all the rest of the distros do the same thing except when the installer apple logo pops up, it reboots. Any ideas?

Machine's got an nvidia 8600GTS if that makes a difference...

Hi, long time lurker, first time poster. I've been on the fence for the past year or so on replacing my G5 iMac with a SFF PC. So i've mainly been looking at the Shuttle barebones. So when the i7 was released last week, I've been on the lookout for the Shuttle version of it and it looks like they are almost ready to launch it.

Here's the webpage: Link

I'll mainly be doing freelance web design on it and lots of Photoshop work. My wife is heavy into iMovie, iDVD, and doing photo books. So I was planning on installing a 920 processor in it and maybe clock it to 2.8GHz (from 2.66). maybe 3GHz if it can take it. It'll have 4GB RAM at first and a pair of 500GB drives, one for boot, files and apps and the other for Superduper backups.

So basically what I was looking for was a little help, advice and guidance on where to start. For example what image to use, if it makes sense to use the EFI-x, etc. The audio (Realtek ALC888) seems to be well supported as does the ethernet (Realtek RTL8111C). The graphics card I plan to use is the SAPPHIRE 100225L Radeon HD 3870. Thanks.

** If tackling the i7 is a little too early and untested, my backup plan was to get the SP45H7 and a Q6600. Still a decent box.

Hi there,

I'm having the same troubles : all the distribs I try are failing.

A retail install with Chameleon and the extra folder fail also. It always stuck at the "using 16384 buffer header" whatever I try (cpus=1, changing the ACPI kext, etc).

I've been working on it for maybe 4 days without any luck.

I first try to do the type install retail of X58 by digital_dreamer (http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=149505). anyway iPC et iDeneb are not even booting.

Processor : Core i7 920

motherboard : Shuttle proprietary, based on X58 Xpress + ICH10R

Memory : OCZ DDR3 3 x 2 Go PC10600 Gold Edition

HD : Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 S-ATA - 500 Go - 32 Mo

Graphic : 2 X Sapphire Radeon™ HD 3870 512 Mo

Network / Carte WIFI : Realtek RTL8111C

System : 10.5.7 (retail 10.5.1 + combo update made on another mac)

troubleshoutings : :

It always stop at "Using 16384 buffer headers and 4096 cluster IO buffer headers". J

I tried with 4 differents kernels : none, vanilla 9.6.3, vanilla 9.7.0, voodoo 9.6.0. nothing change

I'm still stuck on P1020308.JPG

or on P1020309.JPG

I feel a bit desesperate, so if anybody got an idea....

Adrien

PS sorry for my bad english...

• 1 month later...
Hi there,

I'm having the same troubles : all the distribs I try are failing.

A retail install with Chameleon and the extra folder fail also. It always stuck at the "using 16384 buffer header" whatever I try (cpus=1, changing the ACPI kext, etc).

I've been working on it for maybe 4 days without any luck.

I first try to do the type install retail of X58 by digital_dreamer (http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=149505). anyway iPC et iDeneb are not even booting.

Processor : Core i7 920

motherboard : Shuttle proprietary, based on X58 Xpress + ICH10R

Memory : OCZ DDR3 3 x 2 Go PC10600 Gold Edition

HD : Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 S-ATA - 500 Go - 32 Mo

Graphic : 2 X Sapphire Radeon™ HD 3870 512 Mo

Network / Carte WIFI : Realtek RTL8111C

System : 10.5.7 (retail 10.5.1 + combo update made on another mac)

troubleshoutings : :

It always stop at "Using 16384 buffer headers and 4096 cluster IO buffer headers". J

I tried with 4 differents kernels : none, vanilla 9.6.3, vanilla 9.7.0, voodoo 9.6.0. nothing change

I'm still stuck on P1020308.JPG

or on P1020309.JPG

I feel a bit desesperate, so if anybody got an idea....

Adrien

PS sorry for my bad english...

Holy moly! :)

That's a funky configuration. I'm sorry to tell you but the chances to get this to work are really small...

I tried something like this with a notebook a few months ago and the only way I could fix that was with a modified BIOS.

Look around to see if you can find any mod bios for your shuttle barebone.

c0h1b4

• 1 month later...

I just followed this instructions : http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=172853

as they are in french here is a short translate :

Original message by alexcooltranquille

Hello,

I just finished my core i7 config.

to share my knowledge :

hardware:

CM: MSI Eclipse SLI x58, ICH10R, 6 SATA intel, 4 SATA + 2 eSATA, 4 SATA et IDE jmicron, son X-Fi extrem PCI express.

CPU: Intel Core i7 920 @ 3,2 Ghz, intel boost actived, HT actived

RAM: 3x1Go G.Skill DDR 3 1600Mhz

CG: ATI HD4890 1Go

Wifi: D-Link DWA547 PCI express

needed downloads:

*iAtkos v7 10.5.7

*MSI.zip

Installation:

1) start iAtkos v7 dvd, press F8 before the end of countdown and then write:

-v cpus=1 busratio=20

2) Once booted, go to disk utility and format to MBR or GUID.

3) During installation, select you hard disk, and then click on customize "customize" and check:

*Bootloader:

Chamelon v2

*x86 Patch

/Extra Directory

Decrypters => AppleDecrypt

Kernel => 9.7.0 Kernel Voodoo

ACPI => APIC Driver

Disabler

OHR

Remove TyMCE

*Drivers

VGA (choose your graphic card)

SATA/IDE => AHCI

=>Intel SATA/IDE

=>JMicron SATA/IDE

Sound => Voodoo HDA (ET OUI LA X-FI WORK FULLY WITH THIS KEXT! even if everybody says it's not compatible)

Nextwork/Wired/Realtek => Realtek R1000

*Post-Install Actions (let as it is)

Installation make about 20 mn (ignore dvd check)

5) Once fiished, you'll see chaemeleon's timer, you must write rapidly:

-v cpus=1 busratio=20

6) OSX will start, create user acount etc...

7) on the desktop, copy (with a USB key or wathever) MSI.zip, unzip it on the desktop.

inside the archive:

48x0 (useful for ATI 48x0 serie)

DSDT.aml (patched by myself for MSI Eclipse SLI, beware it works for this mobo, for other look at*)

Extra (contain everything needed to keep a retail install)

8) copy the DSDT.aml on HD root, like this no more need of the kernel startup flags (-v cpus=1 busratio=20) hence to have the eight core activated (4 cores hardware, 8 logics core)

9)use an app as change finder to show hidden folders and go to /Extra. copy all the files inside MSI.zip/Extra, and overwrite existing files and directories.

9bis) to install 4800's kext from MSI.zip use kexthelper or OSX86Tools

10) restart and cross finger.

11)once on the finder check if everything is working (4 cores and QE/CI in system profiler)

12)here is the result at the end:

post-25432-1246296188_thumb.png post-25432-1246297651_thumb.png

*) patch DSDT for i7:

1) Download DSDT_Patcher1.0.1e.zip

2) choose "DSDT_Patcher1.0.1e.zip" and unzip it on the desktop in a folder (default) "DSDT_Patcher1"

3) launch DSDT patcher and choose "0" to emulate Darwin OS.

when it's finished close the terminal

4)open a new terminal window and write:

cd Desktop/DSDT_Patcher1

Entrer

nano Debug/dsdt.dsl

Entrer

5)remove every lines with alias (under each line with processor)

6) once finished, hit " Ctrl+O " and then " enter " (in order to save) then " Ctrl+X " to close nano editor

7)in termnal, write :

./DSDT\ Patcher Debug/dsdt.dsl

8) normally there's 3 errors about invalid filepath, don't care.

9) open terminal and write:

cp dsdt.aml /DSDT.aml

10) It's finished, DSDT is patched for your mother bard, it's possible to start without bootflag wth all cores

Finished

Enjoy :)

EDIT: Bench ATI 4890:

post-25432-1246298032_thumb.jpg

Note from adrien : I made the DSDT for the X58H7 DSDT.aml.zip

or here http://www.adrienm.net/DSDT.aml.zip

Thanks a lot to alexcooltranquille for his "how to"

Adrien

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

I actually gave up and sold the shuttle on ebay. In the end, it looked like it was purely a bios/dsdt problem that just couldnt' be overcome. I got a gigabyte ex58-ud5 and couldn't be happier. Quite an excellent board and so close to pure vanilla support I can taste it.

edit: others seem to point to heavily patched installs working. I wanted a vanilla kernel, period.

Have you guys tried 10.6.x yet?

Wondering if there's anything from the method below you guys could use?

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...p;#entry1416253

(I have a full sized i7 OS X 10.6.3 via that method, but will probably be migrating to a shuttle as I need to be more mobile)

• 7 months later...

Sorry for the lack of a response.

My Shuttle x58H7 - has been running 10.6.4 and I just upgraded to 10.6.5 with no trouble.

There isn't much hacking involved once you have Chameleon 2 RC5 running and I believe it is no longer using my moded DSDT.

With Snow Leopard I am using a couple kexts but used my Snow Leopard DVD to install.

I am a video editor / motion graphic designer and I have had this machine rendering in After Effects for days without a problem.