[Guide] Installing OSX 10.5.5 on an XPS M1530 (dual-boot guide)

Fixel

10 posts in this topic

Hi all, this guide is aimed towards people with a Sigmatel sound card in their XPS M1530. (I have a 9205, please note that other sigmatel cards work well.)

Before commencing you should have the latest BIOS installed (A09). And you need to attain the following:

1. A kalyway 10.5.2 DVD

2. An Ubuntu 8.10 Live CD (32 bit worked well for me) - not necessary check the sleep fix part of the guide

3. Your Vista DVD that came with the laptop.

Now the first thing you need to do is format your harddisk so that the two operating systems can work well seperately thus eliminating the need to constantly reboot to gain access to files etc.

Pop in your Ubuntu live cd (hold down F12 during boot and choose your DVD drive), choose your language and "Try Ubuntu without installing". When it's done loading go to: System -> Administration -> Partition Editor.

Keep in mind that you need an external mouse when using the Ubuntu live CD, since the current kernel doesn't support the touchpad without a certain launch option.

And format it to your liking, here is an example of what I did.

I have a 250GB hdd so I formated it like this:

• 25 GB FAT32 (Later used for OS X)
  • 25 GB NTFS (Vista Operating system)
  • 200GB NTFS (Media partition for music etc.)

The advantage of formating with Ubuntu is that you can label all the partitions with names that'll show up in both OS X and Windows Vista. (And we're going to use it later to edit a .kext)

When you're done formating press apply and reboot. Now insert your Vista DVD and install to your smaller NTFS partition. When done simply load up Vista and install all the updates.

If you like me don't have a compatible ethernet/wifi card that works out of the box you need to download all the updates for OSX first to your Media partition.

Download the "Pre update and post update" from BikeTown

Download the 10.5.5 combo update from Apple

Download the EHCI sleep enabler from Superhai (The leopard version ofcourse)

Download the EHCI sleep enabler readme from Superhai as well. (Save text to a .txt file)

Download the STAC9228_0x83847616.zip from the Dell Compilation thread

Download the Dell post installer from this thread.

Download kext helper

Put all of these on your media partition. Also unpack the ones containing kexts. (The .kext is actually just a folder named "Something.kext")

1. Burn the DVD kalyway DVD to a DVD-R at a slow burning speed, 2,4x worked well for me using IMGBurn (works with other DVD types as well, I used this one.)

2. Reboot and hold down F12 to start up the Boot chooser.

3. When in the installer go to the partition editor and restore the FAT32 partition you made for OS X into "Mac OS X Journaled"

4. Now install using the followiing packages. (At 2nd or 3rd screen press customize to bring up the packet selector)

NVinject 256 mb (for 8600M GT, I think the 8400 has 128 mb so choose that option if you have a 8400)

Speedstep kernel

Fixing HFS+ partition error:

When the installer has finished I got a HFS+ error. This means that there's something wrong with the MBR, no biggie.. just reboot into the OS X installer again and open the terminal.

And enter this command:

fdisk -u /dev/rdisk0

write

exit

reboot

This rebuilds the mbr, you should ofcourse replace "rdisk0" with whatever your drive's name is. Mine was "rdisk0".

Now OS X should boot like normally. If everything is fine now, you're good to install all the updates.

Reboot doesn't work but press restart wait until the screen goes black and then press the power button until you hear the classic "pffyuuu" sound.

Post install (installing audio, track pad and fixing sleep*)

*with the sleep trick/fix your audio will be enabled.

1. Install all the sound packages and the trackpad fix from the Dell post installation package. Reboot. (Note: check to see if you have sound working, if so skip the second step)

2. Install the STAC9228_0x83847616.zip from the compilation thread using kexthelper. Reboot.

3. Install the Pre update patch from Biketown, don't restart.

4. Install the combo update from apple, don't press the restart button at the end. (Just keep it open)

5. Install the post update custom installer. Choose the 9.4 kernel. Wait until it's done then press the restart button on the custom installer. The system will restart twice. (ofc you need to press the power button after the screen goes black like usual.)

At this point I didn't have sound and it took me a while to solve it. But here's my solution I hope it works for all of you.

Sleep fix (enabling audio for most)

Here you have two options either edit with the terminal text-editor ("pico") or edit with ubuntu which is easier for n00bs.

Using pico (terminal):

1. Edit kext:

sudo cp /System/Library/Extensions/IOUSBFamily.kext /Desktop

sudo pico /Desktop/IOUSBFamily.kext

"pico" is the text-editor and "sudo" is basically "super user do" which gives you administrator privileges over the file.

2. Do step "3" of the Ubuntu guide. After that save the changes to disk and quit the text editor. The "^" sign actually means the Ctrl-button. I.e. Ctrl+O to write to disk.

3. Install the IOUSBFamily.kext from your desktop using kexthelper.

4. Install the EHCI Sleep enabler .kext from Superhai.

5. Install STAC9228_0x83847616.zip (unzip and install with kexthelper). Reboot.

To get the sound to work just put the computer to sleep, the sound should work after you wake it up.

Using Ubuntu (simpler, GUI based):

1. Boot up Ubuntu and copy the /System/Library/Extensions/IOUSBFamily.kext folder to your Media partition. (In OS X the *.kext folders appear as a file, don't worry)

2. Open the /System/Library/Extensions/IOUSBFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleUSBEHCI.kext/Contents/Info.plist

3. Copy these lines:

<key>OSBundleCompatibleVersion</key>

<string>1.0</string>

And paste them under:

<key>CFBundleVersion</key>

<string>3.1.5</string>

So that you end up with:

<string>3.1.5</string>

<key>OSBundleCompatibleVersion</key>

<string>1.0</string>

(That's why you should copy the readme to a .txt, just copy from that file)

4. Boot up Mac OS X

5. Install the STAC9228_0x83847616.zip from the Compilation thread with kext helper (Note: if you have audio working now skip this step.)

6. Install the IOUSBFamily.kext from your media partition.

7. Install the EHCI sleep enabler from Superhai

8. Restart.

This should fix your sleep, to enable audio:

Press the Apple logo => Sleep

Repairing the MBR and installing the bootloader:

Please note that if you don't get the "winload.exe" boot error when choosing windows from the list of bootable sources in the darwin bootloader please skip this step, you're done!

Now we want to enable dual booting with vista. Pop in your vista DVD and repair the vista bootloader. (Press repair after selecting language and it should suggest this for you)

If the vista partition doesn't appear you have to flag it as bootable. To do this insert your OS X install DVD go to the terminal and enter these commands:

disk -e /dev/rdisk0

flag X

write

exit

reboot

(Exit changes the settings, just using write as a precaution)

X is the partition number for your Vista installation. Now you should be able to repair the boot sectors using your Vista DVD.

When you get back into windows install Easy BCD from this site. Just add an OS X entry.

This should be it. Hope you've enjoyed my guide. If you've got any questions, suggestions or corrections please pm or post in the thread.

Felix

PS. If I forgot to thank someone (which I guess is a lot of people) responsible for drivers fixes etc please post a kind reminder here for me to do so. :thumbsup_anim:

Hi,

I have Kalyway 10.5.2 installation on Dell XPS M 1530 machine

Below are the only things which I'm legging behind in order to get complete Leopard running

1) Sound [sigmatel 9205] -- priority 1 to fix

2) QE / CI support [NVidia 8400 M GS driver] priority 2, after having some sort of solution to restart/shutdown problem

3) Wireless / Ethernet -- priority 3, [i know, no drivers are available for my Hardware ;) (see signature)]

For some reason, Sound doesn't come. I have read that Internal Spekers may not work but the audio Jack should produce the sound. I've applied all the possible ways but still unable to get it work this time. However I got it working just for a while in my previous Hit & trial method, though i forgot what all combinations/method i tried.

another intresting thing I have noticed, that I have follwoing texts in info.plist file under

/System/Library/Extensions/IOUSBFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleUSBEHCI.kext/Contents

<string>3.0.7</string>

Which is different than you have specified "3.1.5" I would appreciate much if you could guide me in right direction, Where am i missing something. ??

(btw, how would you open the .kext folder to modify the Info.plist file contained in. Do you use vi editor for that or someother way round ?)

Secondly,

Rightnow I'm running Leopard with Out applying Graphics Update (I dont want QE/CI support at the moment, as i tried it last time and my machine/Leopard installation got crashed) Also by applying graphics update, Shutdown / Restart doesn't work.

so.. Is there any solution to Shutdown / Restart issue ? I will probably than try to get my NVidia 8400 M GS driver implemented.

Thanks in Advance ...

another intresting thing I have noticed, that I have follwoing texts in info.plist file under

/System/Library/Extensions/IOUSBFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleUSBEHCI.kext/Contents

<string>3.0.7</string>

Which is different than you have specified "3.1.5" I would appreciate much if you could guide me in right direction, Where am i missing something. ??

(btw, how would you open the .kext folder to modify the Info.plist file contained in. Do you use vi editor for that or someother way round ?)

As the guide specifies I used a Ubuntu live-cd to edit the .kext just follow that part of the guide and you'll be fine. Regarding the version number:

CFBundleVersion

The version number of the documentation set bundle. This value is compared to the version number for the documentation set with the same identifier in the web feed to determine whether a new version is available for download.

This is a standard Mac OS X property list key. See “Property List Key Reference” for more information.

From Apple's developer page.

I think the version number changes when you update OS X to 10.5.5. So I think it's safe to say that you'd be fine with adding the key under "3.0.7".

For shutdown/restart solution check out Netkas' kernel. I'm not using it since this issue doesn't bother me.

For a wifi fix check out: http://code.google.com/p/iwidarwin/ and http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=84072

Tell me how it goes after you edit the kext file.

EDIT: Updated first post with an alternative way of editing the kext.

Thanks for your super quick response. :)

Moreover, I figured out that later myself about the sound card and got it working. (Internal Speker / Audio headphone jack/ mic)

I have applied the Grpahics update and got the NVidia Graphics card working (I'd highly appreciate if you could post the link as you suggest for Natkas Kernel to shutdown/restart issue fix )

Also I'm just wondering as you say that, restart/shutdown issue is not a concern for you .. dont you restart/shutdown your computer ?? or if you do by pressing the power button.. Aren't you concerned of damaging some Hardware like HDD and or something else by keep on pressing power button until power goes off ? :)

In regards to teh Wifi and Marvell Yukon Drivers, I will probably wait for a lil more time until we have stable drivers as I dont want to screw up teh system which is running absolutely fine at the moment. Moreover for Internet concerns I found a work around, I'm using XP virtual machine where I can use Wi-fi and ethernet Windows drivers and than connect to internet..

Thanks much in advance.. !!!

Gonna teach you a quick and usefull google thingy, If you know which site the thing you're looking for might be on I suggest you search using this:

netkas kernel site:forum.insanelymac.com

if you just google netkas you get a link to his website which is http://netkas.org/

now:

kernel site:netkas.org

and you get: http://netkas.org/?p=57

Did you update to 10.5.5?

The reason it doesn't bother me is that the only thing that doesn't actually shut down when you restart/shutdown is actually the fans. The HDD is down. Use your hearing to verify. :P

And so I don't mind spending 5 seconds extra on a shutdown when my shutdown time from OS X is half that of Windows. Guess that's an individual preference.

So.. I guess by virtual machine you mean VMware?

Thanks a lot for your quick run throug "How to google" :unsure:

Well... Yes I'm referring VMware. VMWare Fusion 2.0 is designed for Leopard to run multiple OS's.

To access the internet in virtual machine as i said earlier is a work around until we don’t have working drivers for iwi 3945 / 4965 etc ..

1) Install VMware fusion 2.0 on Leopard. After installing the VMWare fusion, create a virtual machine of your own favourite OS (windows XP / Vista / Ubuntu). The beauty of VMware fusion is that you can directly connect a physical Hardware / device directly to Virtual Machine and by pass the host machine. You can than install related windows drivers for networking devices and can directly access internet in Virtual machine by connecting to wired or wireless network.

2) Optionally, VMware also provides the functionality to run a virtual machine in Unity mode keeping both OS (window, Leopard) running simultaneously with windows in seem less mode. You can open Internet Explorer from Applications menu in virtual machine and stat browsing.

3) To make your experience more sophisticated with Leopard looks, download Safari for Windows in your XP virtual machine and use it instead IE.

4) You can also connect any device (e.g. Phone Modem etc) and install its windows based drivers to use Dial-Up internet connection using your phone. (Most unlikely you would not be able to find your phone modem drivers written for Leopard)

Limitations: Though you would be able to browse internet using the above said approach which is far better than not having internet connection at all, however there is a limitation that you would not be able to directly connect to internet form Leopard host machine. This means that you cannot use certain MAC application which uses internet (e.g. iChat or any other internet based MAC games)

There are really no specific settings needs to be done, It automatically does all the necesary stuff (you just have to put OS CD/DVD in CD/ DVD drive) and follow on screen simple configuration steps.

Also, I have not yet successfully updated to 10.5.5, Each time i try to do so, It gets stuck some or the other point and that's what makes me think why do i need to update when my 10.5.2 works absolutely perfect like a charm. :P but i am not going to give up. I'll kepp trying always until it's done, that's how I am.. :lol:

In regards to applying the 10.5.5 Update, the machine gets automatically restart right in between the 10.5.5 update installation progress (some where near 11 % installation progress ) and than it never re-boots again, though I can got in to "Single -User" mode by specifying the -s at darwin prompt but nothing else can be done. the -v switch give "Error loading the Login window" and some more errors.

I also have installed the Pre update preperation from BIKE TOWN but with now avail. Have also written the script to kill the AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext as soon as it appears.

Kinda stuck at this point.. :(

• 1 month later...
Download the "Pre update and post update" from BikeTown

Download the 10.5.5 combo update from Apple

Download the EHCI sleep enabler from Superhai (The leopard version ofcourse)

Download the EHCI sleep enabler readme from Superhai as well. (Save text to a .txt file)

Download the STAC9228_0x83847616.zip from the Dell Compilation thread

Download the Dell post installer from this thread.

Download kext helper

Put all of these on your media partition. Also unpack the ones containing kexts. (The .kext is actually just a folder named "Something.kext")

Hi Fixel,

Thanks for the guide ... I have managed to get kalyway 10.5.2 installed on my XPS 1530 and would now like to upgrade it to 10.5.5 .... it seems that the "Pre update and post update" is not at BikeTown anymore.

Any idea on where i can download it?

Thanks for you help in advance!

Kind Regards

vnetonline