Full-screen kills my display (black screen)

mirkon

5 posts in this topic

I've been dabbling with my hackintosh's video drivers off and on for a while, and though I've gotten my monitor's native 1680x1050 resolution and Quartz Extreme/CoreImage to go fine, one issue I've never been able to solve is that whenever a graphical application attempts to go full-screen, my display goes black.  My system is still running (sound is still playing), and is in fact responsive (I can apple-Q to quit the app).  But the display doesn't come back on until I hard-reboot.  Since most games *begin* in a default of full-screen, this makes playing Mac games basically impossible - irony of ironies - so it's something I'd really like to address.

My video card is a GeForce 9600 GSO, 384 MB (Newegg), and I've tried both an older NVinject (can't remember the version) and a newer NVDarwin (1.2.4) with the same result. Is there an injector that plays more nicely with full-screen graphics? Is there something in the plist that I can adjust for full-screen? I'd suspect my card's abnormal specs, but I had the same symptoms with an earlier card, a 256MB GeForce 8400 GS (Newegg).

Oh, yeah, and I'm running 10.5.3. I assumed that a system update wouldn't help, but might it? (If my kernel matters, it's not vanilla.)

same obscure problem here, It happens with NVinjector and EFI string.

Basically everything goes fine until i change resolution (games system prefs), the screen goes blank until i press the sleep key, at wakeup the screen is clean ... and i can play games/continue to use the desktop.

it's very annoying (expecially of Attansic that needs fresh kextreload after wakeup).

Haha, what do you know?  First thing I tried was switching the physical connection on my card (dual-DVI, so I just went from one to the other) and now I can full-screen perfectly.  Awesome!

I assume there's some connection to the NVCAP string since that has something to do with the physical ports and display modes... but beyond that I don't know what to take out of this.