Version 1.4.5 beta out now

mercurysquad

62 posts in this topic

Version 1.4.5 is out as a beta. Please test and report.

http://code.google.com/p/xnu-speedstep

• "Error getting PState array from ACPI" - if you get this error with older versions, this new version will try to create a pstate table for you based on some heuristics. It is not optimal, but will give you a headstart. Later you can fine-tune the pstate table yourself.
  • Info.plist has a new key "TargetCPULoad" currently set to 30%. Change it to whatever you want to be the default.
  • Should also fix the incorrect (high or -ve) cpu frequency problem.

The module failed to load on my machine. Confirmed the same behavior in both xnu-dev's most recent beta (2c) and Vanilla 9.5. Attached is the dump generated by the Vanilla kernel. Vitals in the sig. Thanks again for your great work on this project! ^_^

machdep.cpu.address_bits.virtual: 48

machdep.cpu.address_bits.physical: 36

machdep.cpu.cache.size: 512

machdep.cpu.cache.L2_associativity: 2

machdep.cpu.cache.linesize: 64

machdep.cpu.arch_perf.fixed_width: 40

machdep.cpu.arch_perf.fixed_number: 3

machdep.cpu.arch_perf.events: 0

machdep.cpu.arch_perf.events_number: 7

machdep.cpu.arch_perf.width: 40

machdep.cpu.arch_perf.number: 2

machdep.cpu.arch_perf.version: 2

machdep.cpu.thermal.ACNT_MCNT: 1

machdep.cpu.thermal.thresholds: 2

machdep.cpu.thermal.dynamic_acceleration: 0

machdep.cpu.thermal.sensor: 1

machdep.cpu.mwait.sub_Cstates: 544

machdep.cpu.mwait.extensions: 3

machdep.cpu.mwait.linesize_max: 64

machdep.cpu.mwait.linesize_min: 64

machdep.cpu.cores_per_package: 2

machdep.cpu.logical_per_package: 2

machdep.cpu.extfeatures: XD EM64T

machdep.cpu.features: FPU VME DE PSE TSC MSR PAE MCE CX8 APIC SEP MTRR PGE MCA CMOV PAT PSE36 CLFSH DS ACPI MMX FXSR SSE SSE2 SS HTT TM SSE3 MON DSCPL EST TM2 SSSE3 CX16 TPR PDCM

machdep.cpu.brand: 0

machdep.cpu.signature: 1789

machdep.cpu.extfeature_bits: 537919488 1

machdep.cpu.feature_bits: -1075053569 58269

machdep.cpu.stepping: 13

machdep.cpu.extfamily: 0

machdep.cpu.extmodel: 0

machdep.cpu.model: 15

machdep.cpu.family: 6

machdep.cpu.brand_string: Intel® Celeron® CPU E1400 @ 2.00GHz

machdep.cpu.vendor: GenuineIntel

Edit: add sysctl dump

post-280524-1227424386_thumb.jpg

same problem here.

$ sysctl machdep.cpu && uname -a

machdep.cpu.address_bits.virtual: 48

machdep.cpu.address_bits.physical: 36

machdep.cpu.cache.size: 6144

machdep.cpu.cache.L2_associativity: 8

machdep.cpu.cache.linesize: 64

machdep.cpu.arch_perf.fixed_width: 40

machdep.cpu.arch_perf.fixed_number: 3

machdep.cpu.arch_perf.events: 0

machdep.cpu.arch_perf.events_number: 7

machdep.cpu.arch_perf.width: 40

machdep.cpu.arch_perf.number: 2

machdep.cpu.arch_perf.version: 2

machdep.cpu.thermal.ACNT_MCNT: 1

machdep.cpu.thermal.thresholds: 2

machdep.cpu.thermal.dynamic_acceleration: 0

machdep.cpu.thermal.sensor: 1

machdep.cpu.mwait.sub_Cstates: 139808

machdep.cpu.mwait.extensions: 3

machdep.cpu.mwait.linesize_max: 64

machdep.cpu.mwait.linesize_min: 64

machdep.cpu.cores_per_package: 2

machdep.cpu.logical_per_package: 2

machdep.cpu.extfeatures: XD EM64T

machdep.cpu.features: FPU VME DE PSE TSC MSR PAE MCE CX8 APIC SEP MTRR PGE MCA CMOV PAT PSE36 CLFSH DS ACPI MMX FXSR SSE SSE2 SS HTT TM SSE3 MON DSCPL VMX SMX EST TM2 SSSE3 CX16 TPR PDCM SSE4.1

machdep.cpu.brand: 0

machdep.cpu.signature: 67190

machdep.cpu.extfeature_bits: 537919488 1

machdep.cpu.feature_bits: -1075053569 582653

machdep.cpu.stepping: 6

machdep.cpu.extfamily: 0

machdep.cpu.extmodel: 1

machdep.cpu.model: 23

machdep.cpu.family: 6

machdep.cpu.brand_string: Intel® Core2 Duo CPU E8400 @ 3.00GHz

machdep.cpu.vendor: GenuineIntel

Darwin manis-macpro31 9.5.0 Darwin Kernel Version 9.5.0: Tue Oct 14 07:39:11 IST 2008; Voodoo; Beta 2c :xnu-1228.7.58/BUILD/obj/RELEASE_I386 i386

System:

OSX 10.5.5

Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3

Intel Core 2 Duo E8400

nVidia GeForce 9600 GT

4 GB Ram

SAMSUNG HD501LJ (SATA, 500GB)

My system hangs during the installation :jester: I install using terminal. After seemingly successful sudo copy of the file, the system just hangs ... and there's nothing I can do except hard reboot. Booting in single user mode then shows the file is not there :)

Will update as it goes when I can install it!

Thanks for the release though. Great work.

Finally installed (although still unsucessfully, using kext helper, machine still hangs after copying the kext). After repairing permissions in single mode, get a kernel panic.

machdep.cpu.brand_string: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU	 T7700  @ 2.40GHz
Darwin Hackintosh.local 9.4.0 Darwin Kernel Version 9.4.0

RSWb8DW8wn.png

I installed the IntelEnhancedSpeedStep.kext and it installed fine. How do I check to see if it is working and doing what it is suppose to do. I was thinking the speedstep.app would have some gui function when I try to run it...nothing pops up or nothing happens. Am I suppose to only install the kext or not run the app or do I install the kext and run the app. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

PS- I installed version 1.4.0 since many ppl here are reporting problems with 1.4.5.

I installed the IntelEnhancedSpeedStep.kext and it installed fine. How do I check to see if it is working and doing what it is suppose to do. I was thinking the speedstep.app would have some gui function when I try to run it...nothing pops up or nothing happens. Am I suppose to only install the kext or not run the app or do I install the kext and run the app. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

PS- I installed version 1.4.0 since many ppl here are reporting problems with 1.4.5.

If the kext is installed it is probably doing its job quietly in the background. You don't need to start any app.

To confirm, open Terminal and type:

sysctl -a | grep throttle

You should be able to see the current frequency and voltage, the list of available frequencies and voltages, the target cpu load, and whether auto throttle is active (kern.cputhrottle_auto: 1).

If the kext is installed it is probably doing its job quietly in the background. You don't need to start any app.

To confirm, open Terminal and type:

sysctl -a | grep throttle

You should be able to see the current frequency and voltage, the list of available frequencies and voltages, the target cpu load, and whether auto throttle is active (kern.cputhrottle_auto: 1).

When I type in the sysctl -a | grep throttle in the terminal, I get the following error: "kern.exec: unknown type returned" Does this mean the kext did not install properly or do I have a non compatible kernel runnning? Thank for your help.

When I type in the sysctl -a | grep throttle in the terminal, I get the following error: "kern.exec: unknown type returned" Does this mean the kext did not install properly or do I have a non compatible kernel runnning? Thank for your help.

The kext is compatible with all kernels. If you only get that line and don't get anything else then that means the kext is not working properly. In that case you should edit the kext's Info.plist file and set DebugMessages to true, then type sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions and reboot. After rebooting type sudo dmesg | grep Intel to see a list of debug messages. Paste those here.

Hi,

Has the KP been fixed ?or was this issue with old kernel only(kernels older than 9.5) ?

Not yet, I got busy with the Voodoo kernel and other things .. once Voodoo is released I'll work on this.

The kext is compatible with all kernels. If you only get that line and don't get anything else then that means the kext is not working properly. In that case you should edit the kext's Info.plist file and set DebugMessages to true, then type sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions and reboot. After rebooting type sudo dmesg | grep Intel to see a list of debug messages. Paste those here.

Not yet, I got busy with the Voodoo kernel and other things .. once Voodoo is released I'll work on this.

Thanks man,no problems.

You've really inspired me to read "Mac OS X Internals By Amit Singh".I'll just grap a copy and start reading it.Chapter 10 would be of more interest to me coz of IOKit.

Anyways thanks for everything.

;)

Thanks for your help. I made the changes you asked and below is the output. Most of the errors point to "Please create your P-State table manually"

IntelEnhancedSpeedStep: DBG Processor Family 6, Model 15

IntelEnhancedSpeedStep: DBG Starting

IntelEnhancedSpeedStep: DBG On your processor, voltages can be changed in 16 mV steps

IntelEnhancedSpeedStep: DBG Using data from CPU0

IntelEnhancedSpeedStep: WARN There was an error while getting PState array from ACPI. Please create your P-State table manually.

IntelEnhancedSpeedStep: DBG Freeing driver resources

IntelEnhancedSpeedStep: INFO Initializing version 1.4.0 © Prashant Vaibhav <mercurysquad@yahoo.com>

IntelEnhancedSpeedStep: DBG FSB = 333 MHz

IntelEnhancedSpeedStep: DBG Probing for Intel processor...

IntelEnhancedSpeedStep: DBG Supported Intel processor found on your system

IntelEnhancedSpeedStep: DBG On your processor, voltages can be changed in 16 mV steps

IntelEnhancedSpeedStep: WARN There was an error while getting PState array from ACPI. Please create your P-State table manually.

IntelEnhancedSpeedStep: INFO Initializing version 1.4.0 © Prashant Vaibhav <mercurysquad@yahoo.com>

Version 1.4.5 is out as a beta. Please test and report.

http://code.google.com/p/xnu-speedstep

• "Error getting PState array from ACPI" - if you get this error with older versions, this new version will try to create a pstate table for you based on some heuristics. It is not optimal, but will give you a headstart. Later you can fine-tune the pstate table yourself.
  • Info.plist has a new key "TargetCPULoad" currently set to 30%. Change it to whatever you want to be the default.
  • Should also fix the incorrect (high or -ve) cpu frequency problem.

Mercurysquad,

I was wondering that if I have a correct DSDT will I still get "Error getting Pstate array from ACPI" ?(Assuming i use version 1.4.4 of this kext)

Regards

Aliasa

Will this work with a P-M ? i tried superhai but i gave me problems

Yes mine is heavily tested for pentium M. Superhai's kext has problems.

Thanks for your help. I made the changes you asked and below is the output. Most of the errors point to "Please create your P-State table manually"

OK. This was fixed in 1.4.5 but gives a kernel panic on most machine. So please wait until I fix and upload a newer version in a few days.

It works GREAT for me! Fantastic!

iDeneb 10.5.5, Voodoo-RC1 kernel, and Pentium-M750 SSE2, works with all 8 PStates(800~1866 MHz)

GMA900 problem also solved, and now I have a real MacBook :D

kern.exec: unknown type returned
kern.cputhrottle_curfreq: 800
kern.cputhrottle_curvolt: 732
kern.cputhrottle_freqs: 1866 1733 1600 1466 1333 1200 1066 800 
kern.cputhrottle_factoryvolts: 1020 988 956 908 876 844 812 732 
kern.cputhrottle_ctl: 1538
kern.cputhrottle_auto: 1
kern.cputhrottle_targetload: 50