• Please log in to reply
1952 replies to this topic

jabbababba

jabbababba

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thanks for all your hard work Mysticus C*, very much appreciated! Hope you can catch up with sleep in the next couple of days!

Cheers,
Jabba

Sixpaq

Sixpaq

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
Okay, I'm starting now. What do we use? Kalyway?

 Mysticus C*

 Mysticus C*

InsanelyMac Deity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,280 posts
I am writing the complete guide from now on (hopefully NOOB-PROOF, but noob degrees varies so cant guarantee). It will take quite some time, because it will include from scratch (brand new NC10) to all the way to OSX installed/cloned/tested/updated/...

The guide will be 5 main sections (with screen caps where necessary) and 1 informative section...

+ Things to have in reach distance before you start (USB DVDROM, USB KEYB+MOUSE for initial installation)
+ Preparing brand new NC10 HDD for OSX installation (Partitioning)
+ Installing OSX (I will be using Jas 10.5.4, since I didnt download MSWindOSX distro, but principles are same, so it should work on all distros. however my personal choices are Kalyway or Jas, dont know about MSWindOSX)
+ Cloning OSX for safety tests for Updates or other driver installations (with current HDD, it takes about 35-40 mins)
+ Updating to 10.5.5 safely (current latest update release)
+ Things to know about updates in general and what to do when updates are released (using cloned partition)

The files and information will constantly updating, so make sure to check POST #1 all the time...

Currently the guide is being written so dont expect quick finish of everything (you will see why when it is finished) in the guide, once i completed the guide, i will post a confirmation so that all of you can start.

Cheers...

ricpersi

ricpersi

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi all, I'd like to know if you noticed any difference after replacing the wifi module. Is signal strength the same? what about battery, does it last the same? I've got an acer 5315 which has a broadcom bcm4311 and should be the same as the one pointed out by Mysticus C*. Is it safe to swap the two pci-e cards?
Thanks a lot for your answers and thanks to Mysticus C* for the efforts in bringing a working osx to the NC10.

Regards,

Riccardo

 Mysticus C*

 Mysticus C*

InsanelyMac Deity

• Members
  • 2,280 posts

Hi all, I'd like to know if you noticed any difference after replacing the wifi module. Is signal strength the same? what about battery, does it last the same? I've got an acer 5315 which has a broadcom bcm4311 and should be the same as the one pointed out by Mysticus C*. Is it safe to swap the two pci-e cards?
Thanks a lot for your answers and thanks to Mysticus C* for the efforts in bringing a working osx to the NC10.

Regards,

Riccardo

if it is 4311 chip in it, than it is good to go.

Wireless signal was not a problem in my set up. Dont think there should be any with yours. However, you should know that wireless singals can be effected by big Metal Boxes, like cabinets or refrigerator etc, and microwave ovens, and cordless phones which usualy operate at similar frequencies, and having too many wireless rooters in your neighbourhood, can also cause interference and may slow the performance. Since you are changing only the wifi, and they are pretty much same tech (in terms of power usage) battery life should not be effected...

To all others: I am doing a complete brand new installation from scratch (meaning as if you would do when you first purchased your NC 10, it will take 1-2 hours to finish, so the guide ;) ) but you will have complete visual (with pics) of every stage!

You will SEE IT and DO IT (complete NOOB-PROOF), rather than read and try to figure out :dev: (in the mean time, please grab a JAS 10.5.4 release)

Cheers...

homymac

homymac

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
For those who want to control brightness manually, there is a freeware program called, "SHADES." It can be found on http://www.charcoaldesign.co.uk/shades

This is especially helpful at night when you are in a dark room and don't want the brightness to be full blast.

 Mysticus C*

 Mysticus C*

InsanelyMac Deity

• Members
  • 2,280 posts

For those who want to control brightness manually, there is a freeware program called, "SHADES." It can be found on http://www.charcoaldesign.co.uk/shades

This is especially helpful at night when you are in a dark room and don't want the brightness to be full blast.

thanx mate, i may include the program in the next installer revision as well.

For those of you who are waiting for the guides: This is taking slightly longer than I expected but, it will worth the wait, I assure you!

It will be all visual! (You will actually see what you need to do...)

Taking pictures, slide showing, and preparation taking long time, so bare with me for another couple hours and it will be 99.999999% NOOB_PROOFED!

sn0zc0r3

sn0zc0r3

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

thanx mate, i may include the program in the next installer revision as well.

For those of you who are waiting for the guides: This is taking slightly longer than I expected but, it will worth the wait, I assure you!

It will be all visual! (You will actually see what you need to do...)

Taking pictures, slide showing, and preparation taking long time, so bare with me for another couple hours and it will be 99.999999% NOOB_PROOFED!

Take as much time as you need man. You've done everyone a HUGE service by making this installer so I'm sure people won't be too upset. ;)

Pezmc

Pezmc

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Take as much time as you need man. You've done everyone a HUGE service by making this installer so I'm sure people won't be too upset. ;)

I second that. You have done a fantastic job!

mugan

mugan

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
Yeah! Great job! I thank you in advance cos i'll buy this netbook in 2009...

Any clue about how to slipstream this into an osx distribution to make something like "samsungnc10osx.iso" ? Wouldn't it be great?

 Mysticus C*

 Mysticus C*

InsanelyMac Deity

• Members
  • 2,280 posts

Yeah! Great job! I thank you in advance cos i'll buy this netbook in 2009...

Any clue about how to slipstream this into an osx distribution to make something like "samsungnc10osx.iso" ? Wouldn't it be great?

it can be great of course, i will ask Jas if he can add the NC10 packages into his dvd, or maybe other teams who make the MSWindOSX ;) and make the distro as NetbookOSX :( rather than limiting the process...
=====================================

Guys, I am preparing the visual guide as PDF format, is everyone OK with that?

Because of the visuals (screen caps of every stage) makes this a bit hard to put it on a website for bandwidth reasons in general.

Pezmc

Pezmc

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

it can be great of course, i will ask Jas if he can add the NC10 packages into his dvd, or maybe other teams who make the MSWindOSX ;) and make the distro as NetbookOSX :( rather than limiting the process...
=====================================

Because of the visuals (screen caps of every stage) makes this a bit hard to put it on a website for bandwidth reasons in general.

I would be fine with that. A online guide would be better but I understand the bandwidth reasons!
Hope its going well.
I am half way through trying the install (downloading the official dmg now)

Mr_CP

Mr_CP

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

simply amazing job mate, on the hdd front i realised that for some silly reason ebuyer had the same hdd but for cheaper on another link, http://www.ebuyer.com/product/146083 thats the one i've ordered for my nc10 so should hopefully come this week and the laptop will be fully done. and speaking of the power drain that the other member mentioned earlier barring marketing spool "this drive delivers 5400 RPM-equivalent power consumption in a 7200 RPM drive." hopefully the battery will still be awesome after

 Mysticus C*

 Mysticus C*

InsanelyMac Deity

• Members
  • 2,280 posts
About 80% completed. At the same time, installing the (JAS version) OSX, and going to test the packages one last time. For double checking.... After that, guide will be completed. Max 1 hour...

Havig PDF format guide will help me keep the space clean in the first post, so I can concentrate on update information and necessary notices.

ricpersi

ricpersi

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
thanks for the informations regarding the broadcom chip Mysticus C* and thanks again for your efforts.. I'm looking forward to get and see your guide..
regards,
riccardo

 Mysticus C*

 Mysticus C*

InsanelyMac Deity

• Members
  • 2,280 posts
Overall progress: 90% finished...

Installation finished, doing the update, and going to test the package, and finish the guide with the remaining update section.

Almost done guys, hang on there :)
=================================
Bumped into a wall... :D know what the problem is, will fix it and test the package again, one typo error i made...
Problem solved, will fix the package part where the typo error exists.
+ System started fine,
+ Update worked (after my typo error fixed)
+ Gfx fine
+ Sound fine
+ Time machine worked
+ USB mounting fine
+ Going to test sound switching with chud installed
+ Wifi working fine
+ Sleep working on battery but not on power connected as expected (it is caused by bluetooth but dont know why really)

Ok booting and grabbing pics once again, and will wrap up the update guide... (hopefully 30 mins?)

stickman

stickman

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Just one quick question...

Is this noisy? I mean, in the Acer Aspire One, the fan can't be controlled through bios settings and it's always on in OSX. What happens with the NC10?

adamcarter

adamcarter

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
wait so you cant put this baby to sleep with the power cord cause of bluetooth. Is this innate with the machine or something that could be fixed driver wise down the line. PS get some sleep....you did a great service You deserve some R&R

 Mysticus C*

 Mysticus C*

InsanelyMac Deity

• Members
  • 2,280 posts

Just one quick question...

Is this noisy? I mean, in the Acer Aspire One, the fan can't be controlled through bios settings and it's always on in OSX. What happens with the NC10?

fan is running like whispering although it is at a bit high rpm (to be honest, i dont see any difference from running in windows and osx, maybe fan is controlled seperately? by a hardware sensor, rather than software, i may be wrong)... but my ears are not that good anyway to hear that much noise...

adam: I think i will sleep really, guide is pretty much done, it is just putting slideshow (file/pic ordering) taking a long time.... Everything is working great at the moment apart from couple of kinks ;)

sleep works fine with battery only but not power connected, as i said bluetooth problem (bluetooth is connected to an internal usb port, for somereason, when power connected it keeps signaling, and triggering wake event, from what i see through system logs... i just dont know why... will finger that one a bit to figure out with some modded usb drivers... :) )

another kink is that as i said before, after sleep, "right arrow" key is software pressed (somehow osx is getting it as pressed, like when you hold a key for too long time in windows, it would beep) so just press right arrow key once, it is fixed... :)

With added sound switcher for speaker/hp (you need to install chud package first) and adding also brightness control mentioned by homy, there will be only two issues on this laptop
+ Lan (no driver yet!) and Mic (sound drivers need to be fixed for this, i dont know if taruga would take a look at this... I m sure it will be touched sometime later so full sound will be possible)

Sorry guys, guide will wait for tomorrow, I dont like to put things unfinished and non-working... I know many of you dont have much experience in some areas, so I m making the guide as NOOB-Friendly as possible... But it took some longer time than i expected, (plus you know I have a life too, have to work and eat and sleep :) )

cklaw072

cklaw072

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

I placed the link in the first post, but too tired to write an extensive guide at the moment, will put all necessary bits tomorrow. So if you are not sure/confident you can do all the updates/installing drivers, please wait for tomorrow. Tomorrow, i will write a full guide on how to install fully working OSX on to NC10 and how to make a brick free system, and how to update it tomorrow.

cheers and good luck...

Hello Mysticus C:

I placed the link in the first post, but too tired to write an extensive guide at the moment, will put all necessary bits tomorrow. So if you are not sure/confident you can do all the updates/installing drivers, please wait for tomorrow. Tomorrow, i will write a full guide on how to install fully working OSX on to NC10 and how to make a brick free system, and how to update it tomorrow.

cheers and good luck...

Hello Mysticus C:
I am new user, Restart when I finish install the driver , Can not login & show press power button,What wrong for me, Can help me to solve this problem

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy