• Please log in to reply
1951 replies to this topic

SL3

SL3

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
Wow Mysticus, you're doing awesome work! I've been thinking of buying an NC10 to dual boot Leopard and XP, and your utility has cemented my decision! Your app will make it just as easy (or easier, even) to install Leopard on an NC10 as it is on an MSI Wind.

Maybe someone can make the handy Audieee utility work for the NC10? I've heard the Wind guys have a version for the Wind working.

Anyway, laptopmag.com today compared the 10" netbooks on the market right now, and came to the conclusion that the NC10 is the best. The article is here.

 Mysticus C*

 Mysticus C*

InsanelyMac Deity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,280 posts

Wow Mysticus, you're doing awesome work! I've been thinking of buying an NC10 to dual boot Leopard and XP, and your utility has cemented my decision! Your app will make it just as easy (or easier, even) to install Leopard on an NC10 as it is on an MSI Wind.

Maybe someone can make the handy Audieee utility work for the NC10? I've heard the Wind guys have a version for the Wind working.

Anyway, laptopmag.com today compared the 10" netbooks on the market right now, and came to the conclusion that the NC10 is the best. The article is here.

i will look into audiieee, also saw some wind utility to do it as well without requiring to enter password all the time... so will provide both solutions in the final "driver-install-or-update package"

regarding the utility, it is not utility rather an installer package, for drivers...

for osx installation, you may still need to have usb keyb/mouse/of cource usb DVDrom (i didnt have to use usb with using Jas Package... i think, i will test taht again)

most of the things working as they should, however there is one dodgy thing about sleep function, trying to figure out:

sleep works just fine when the power adapter not connected (meaning running on battery only)
sleep works on power adapter but in 1 sec into sleep mode, it powers up again due to USB activity, which is giving some clues about Bluetooth but dont know why it does that with power adapter connected only and not with the battery alone...

also when you wake from sleep, right arrow key is by software kept pressed it... you will hear a clicking noise when you wake it up... solution: just press right arrow key once, done :( i thought at first it was some dodgy sound issue or stg else... but figure it out later... it is same thing, when you are in windows, if you hold down a key for a long time (3-4 secs) it beeps right? this is the same exact situation...

i m gonna test the new dsdt fix as well, but the hdd on this machine is the only downside... it reads fine enough (boots are fast) but writing is painfully slow, so making clone partitions to test takes about 35-40 mins... so bare with me guys 1-2 days pls :) also dont forget the weekend relaxation factor...:)

couple things from observation:

+ vanilla kernel works without entering cpus=1 :) cool?
+ sleep works but only on battery mode... (investigating still...)
+ mirroring works fine
+ timemachine works fine
+ graphics are quite smooth
+ you can watch tv even without trouble
+ battery life is amazing on this thing (4-5 hrs easily on mac--consider that real PM is not working yet--speedstep testing is next)
+ screen quality awesome...

:)

Mr_CP

Mr_CP

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

YOU GOT IT WRONG!

i bough a dell wifi card, and installed it, bcoz current solutions dont work as of yet, although realtek promised to release drivers for it, it will probably will take some time untill they release official drivers...

there is one linux driver port, for atheros 5007eg but it is a bit dodgy... i dont wanna risk anything...

i just bought one card thats it...

replacing the card is easy, opening the case not that hard, but a bit of attention and gentle touch is required :(

also i m doing the tests still to get best working combination of drivers, so that people dont have any trouble after installing them...

but testing take quite a bit of time due t very slow performing hdd... i may probably replace it with a 7200 rpm hdd which are not vey expensive anymore...

damn lol got happy there for a moment, ah well gonna have to go buy a wifi card for it then, which dell one did you go for in the end? i've heard of the 1490 and others that are similar?
i attempted the linux driver for the atheros ended up crashing my system and had to remove the .kext before anything would work again,

keep up the awesome work thou can't wait for the finished product

 Mysticus C*

 Mysticus C*

InsanelyMac Deity

• Members
  • 2,280 posts

damn lol got happy there for a moment, ah well gonna have to go buy a wifi card for it then, which dell one did you go for in the end? i've heard of the 1490 and others that are similar?
i attempted the linux driver for the atheros ended up crashing my system and had to remove the .kext before anything would work again,

keep up the awesome work thou can't wait for the finished product

yeah same 1490 :( i bought it through ebay (check the link)

that is the reason why i dont wanna include a dodgy linux driver mate, i told that rite? :)

it is very painless when you have officially supported chipset on a wifi card... no mingling dingling around to find drivers or moding... so no need to worry about time machine problems either (sidenote: time machine problems occur on modded drivers) :)

currently i can release the installer, in pre-stage, without additional things which i didnt test yet, but dont wanna do it to mess things up later...

bare with me 1-2 days so i can release propar tested working package and so people dont have any headache... just a bit of patience... while waiting order the wifi u wont regret it :) dont go for N wifis as they dont work quite well yet since the standard is not out yet... :) plus, why do you need N speeds anyway, your original network speed for internet will be way below what you can do with wifi unless you play multiplayer games *again how much game u can play with this machine anyway* :)

Mr_CP

Mr_CP

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

yeah same 1490 :( i bought it through ebay (check the link)

yeh i was thinking of ordering the wifi card, but was thinking might hold off on that as i'm gonna order a bigger hdd (http://www.ebuyer.com/product/149432) so figure i may as well install both at the same time, just bit annoyed i ordered that same hdd two weeks back for 60 from the same place for my ps3 and now its gone back up to 80 :@ lol
just also wondering how much you think it'll effect the battery life with a fast spinning hdd? although i have to admit the battery on this thing is awesome i'm on 86% and its quoting me 6:22hours left in xp.

 Mysticus C*

 Mysticus C*

InsanelyMac Deity

• Members
  • 2,280 posts

yeh i was thinking of ordering the wifi card, but was thinking might hold off on that as i'm gonna order a bigger hdd (http://www.ebuyer.com/product/149432) so figure i may as well install both at the same time, just bit annoyed i ordered that same hdd two weeks back for 60 from the same place for my ps3 and now its gone back up to 80 :@ lol
just also wondering how much you think it'll effect the battery life with a fast spinning hdd? although i have to admit the battery on this thing is awesome i'm on 86% and its quoting me 6:22hours left in xp.

;) lol you look local to me mate :)

if you are in UK, i suggest you to check misco.co.uk, prices are very competitive and reasonable :)

fo the battery life on faster hdd: well i didnt test it personaly so I cant tell too much, but dont think it will effect so adversely... since they are pretty much similar power consuming hdds... of course 7200 rpm ones will consume slightly more, but say 10%? over 5400? and 25% over 4200 rpms... while the speed increase is quite more of a gain which i think it balances the pic... but this also depends on your purpose on the laptop as well... if you are light user traveler, current specs are best... traveller but dont mind 5 hrs rather than 5.5-6 hrs?

let me put it this way, this thing makes a clone in 35-40 mins, and if u had 7200 rpm hdd, should have finished in 10-15 mins? it balances itself in the long run... plus the time value of yours :) and patience...

but at the end, user is you, and money is yours, decision is yours... :)

considering myself buying another one of these samsungs nc10s as well as waiting for the touchscreen to be available by the guy... i m willing to do some spending to make things more liveable and cooler :)

Sixpaq

Sixpaq

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
Ah, I was hoping that there'd be a way for me to return the favor of your wisdom:

I've already tried the NC10, both in Ubuntu and XP, with a 7200 RPM Drive. I didn't like it. Why? Two problems, a small one and a big one:

Small problem: The battery time projection drops, noticeably. About 15%. This was true for both OS, so I guess it'll be accurate.

Big Problem: VIBRATIONS. the way the HD is mounted inside the NC10, all the vibrations are directly transferred to the plastic-fantastic case, which resonates quite well with 7200 RPM. :( I didn't see a way to dampen that, since the stock vibration pads are placed quite well. And @ 1,6 GHz I didn't see much of an improvement in speed with the faster drive, but that's just my personal opinion.

So from experience - save the fast HD. I'm back on the stock drive. SSD would be another story... :)

adamcarter

adamcarter

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
wanted to send a cool link that i'm wondering could be incorporated into the nc10 since it has multi-touch pad
multi touch

 Mysticus C*

 Mysticus C*

InsanelyMac Deity

• Members
  • 2,280 posts
[quote name='Sixpaq' date='Nov 23 2008, 03:43 PM' post='975217'
Ah, I was hoping that there'd be a way for me to return the favor of your wisdom:

I've already tried the NC10, both in Ubuntu and XP, with a 7200 RPM Drive. I didn't like it. Why? Two problems, a small one and a big one:

Small problem: The battery time projection drops, noticeably. About 15%. This was true for both OS, so I guess it'll be accurate.

Big Problem: VIBRATIONS. the way the HD is mounted inside the NC10, all the vibrations are directly transferred to the plastic-fantastic case, which resonates quite well with 7200 RPM. :( I didn't see a way to dampen that, since the stock vibration pads are placed quite well. And @ 1,6 GHz I didn't see much of an improvement in speed with the faster drive, but that's just my personal opinion.

So from experience - save the fast HD. I'm back on the stock drive. SSD would be another story... :)
[/quote]

thanx for the insight, but i m not sure about the speed results though...
i have a 7200 rpm hdd which i replaced on my other laptop for 5400 one, and speed was very noticeable...
maybe brand/model u used had a problem?

we ll see how it will turn out... on the other hand, there are some home made solutions for ssd :) there are raid sata 2.5 drive cases for raid0 and 1 for ccompact flash drives... :) u can put two compact flash into t: he case and set it in raid 0...

get two good performance CF cards (20-25mb/s write, 30-35mb /read speed ones) put it in the case and there you go, you ll have a raid ssd :) with 40-50 mb write / 60-70 mb write speed... which should be comparable to desktop hdd performances :)

adam: i will look into it... bcoz this touchpad has multi touch capability :)

 Mysticus C*

 Mysticus C*

InsanelyMac Deity

• Members
  • 2,280 posts
Update News: Wait is almost over... I will release the drivers package soon, making final tests and than will post information regarding how to get it and what to do with the options in the FIRST POST of this topic... Make sure always to check back FIRST POST...

Pezmc

Pezmc

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Update News: Wait is almost over... I will release the drivers package soon, making final tests and than will post information regarding how to get it and what to do with the options in the FIRST POST of this topic... Make sure always to check back FIRST POST...

I am going to sit here refreshing the page ;)

 Mysticus C*

 Mysticus C*

InsanelyMac Deity

• Members
  • 2,280 posts

I am going to sit here refreshing the page ;)

i still need 1-2 hr to finish the test, HDD is you know, sux in write performance, so it is taking long to test things...

so go watch some movie... ;)

Mr_CP

Mr_CP

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

i still need 1-2 hr to finish the test, HDD is you know, sux in write performance, so it is taking long to test things...

so go watch some movie... :)

aah just in time lol got my wifi card coming on tues so all will be good by then lol, next upgrade is possibly the hdd then this thing will be fully done and it will be time to possibly try and triple boot with a form of linux lol

Sixpaq

Sixpaq

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
Okay, I've watched a movie. Now what? :jester:

 Mysticus C*

 Mysticus C*

InsanelyMac Deity

• Members
  • 2,280 posts

Okay, I've watched a movie. Now what? :jester:

lol it is coming your way shortly after commercials...

:)

 Mysticus C*

 Mysticus C*

InsanelyMac Deity

• Members
  • 2,280 posts
I placed the link in the first post, but too tired to write an extensive guide at the moment, will put all necessary bits tomorrow. So if you are not sure/confident you can do all the updates/installing drivers, please wait for tomorrow. Tomorrow, i will write a full guide on how to install fully working OSX on to NC10 and how to make a brick free system, and how to update it tomorrow.

cheers and good luck...

SL3

SL3

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
Thanks for all of your work, Mysticus C*! I'm looking forward to getting an NC10 and installing OS X on it.

sn0zc0r3

sn0zc0r3

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
SWEET!! Thank you SO much for all of your hard work! I'll wait for the more in-depth guide tomorrow though, since I don't even know what version of the installer to get with this (do I d/l just the kalaway installer? the msi wind version?).

Regardless, I'll be buying a dell 1490 tomorrow. SO excited!

newax4u

newax4u

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Mysticus C* thanks for your hard work and your experience share.

I buy NC10 for one week ago. I'm very impress by the LCD display and 5~6hr battery life.
I just replace the wifi card with the broardcom wifi card (which from my iMac, coz I only use LAN). everything work pretty good now, except the USB(incorrect kernal issue) and external VGA output.

once I plug the external mon the system will hang. isn't it anyone try this before?

Sixpaq

Sixpaq

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
Yay! :)

Thank you!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy