1951 replies to this topic

 Mysticus C*

 Mysticus C*

InsanelyMac Deity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,280 posts
NEWS
  • New Forum for Samsung NC10 and Combo Updates is OPENED HERE. From now one I m going to provide all the information on the new forum... Here only update news...
  • VoodooPS2 is now available in Samsung NC10 Files Section
  • VoodooHDA driver is now available in Samsung NC10 Files Section
  • Ethernet driver is now available in Samsung NC10 files section
  • TouchScreen Mod is finally done! See the video and the first impressions bought it from here but also u can buy from here
  • All files are placed in BIKE TOWN.
CURRENT PROJECTS
  • DSDT patching to fix sleep issue on power
BIKE & TOWNGUIDES Guide for Upgrading
===========================================
PPF patching:

This is the simple task but requires accurate files!

1-) download original Jas 10.5.4 iso: (md5 F7E82424D6EFB474950B361DB7840C91)
2-) download jas to nc10 10.5.6 ppf:
3-) run ppf-o-matic program
3a-) ISO: your Jas iso
3b-) PPF: jas to nc10 10.5.6 ppf
3c-) press on patch! and there you will have your final ISO (md5 766E0A44E0E55CCCCB4942DBD3FC3D87)
===========================================

WHAT WORKS - WHAT DOES NOT WORK
Graphics:

* Correct Resolution 1024x600 works.
* Resolution change works.
* VGA out works, but with latest drivers, only desktop extension possible on 2nd monitor. To also get "clone" function, you need to install OLD FRAMEBUFFER driver from BIKE TOWN's NC10 Files Section
* Brightness control works if you use the original drivers supplied with NC10 10.5.6 iso, or OLD FB that is also patched from Bike Town. To control brightness, you will need to install additional software called "Quicksilver" and manually set up the scripts supplied with the 10.5.6 iso, or files from Bike Town. Set up process explained in Install Guide which is also in Bike Town.
* Closing the screen does not put the laptop into sleep or anything! There is a clamshell driver to make that work however it has bugs... Such as system may not be able to wake up

Sound:

+ With VoodooHDA HP/Spk out and switching works seemlessly without any additional program/script
+ Only external mic works at the moment. (internal mic somehow working but only playing not recording weird...)
+ Controls are a bit complicated but once you work on it a bit, it should be no problem

Power Management:

* Battery meter works, as well as power profiles to certain degrees of functions.
* Sleep works fine on Battery only!
* Sleep works on Power adapter as well, but wakes up instantly due to some bios functions issues. A workaround is in progress...

Bluetooth:

* Bluetooth works fine and can be turned on/off anytime desired, if you install Bluetooth fix from Biketown.

Trackpad:

+ Trackpad works great with scrolling (V/H both) if you install VoodooPS2 package
+ No multi-touch yet...

WIFI:

* Stock wifi does not work OTB. However, there is a workaround to get it working, but the process is painfuly bugy!
* If you want no hassle wifi, go get yourself a DELL DW 1390? or better 1490? or even better 15xx? series WIFI, and forget about worrying! These are supported by built-in drivers so will always work!

LAN:

* Internal LAN (ethernet) now works... Ethernet Driver is in Samsung NC10 files section...

Keyboard:

* Keyboard works with the supplied additional drivers. However not all the keys work as they should, due to drivers/bios issues!
* For "UK" model owners, I supplied a UK keyboard layout patch in Bike Town, which allows much better keymapping! Once installed, you need to select the UK layout from system preferences, international menu...

Bootcamp:

* Bootcamp dont work (do you expect it work? First learn what is bootcamp :) it is designed to allow macs to be able to install windows, so ask yourself? arent you able to install windows already w/o any modification? So dont bother asking for bootcamp, or get ready to be INSULTED!)

WORKAROUNDS
  • Endless Restart Loop after installing: This is caused by EDB setting in bios to set to disable by default or after bios update. EDB setting should be set to ENABLE to fix this issue. To understand this better, check the very first page of the PDF Guide v2 !!! This has been mentioned in the guide but ignored/skipped by many users!!!
  • After the first installation finished and restart will not find bootloader (blinking cursor): There is a bootloader however after first install active partition does not get recognized, therefore boot process stops. To fix this: At restart, press F4 to go to recovery console, and press ESC without making any changes! This will fix the problem... More details are already given in the guide, if you read it carefully...
FUTURE PROJECTS
  • Touch screen installation-guide
  • VoodooHDA driver integration
More will come shortly...

Donations are Welcomed and Donators will receive additional care/priority/exclusive stuff which i will not name atm... :)

RolyBiffy

RolyBiffy

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts
so no headphone no far?

hows the sound quality

im looking at getting this or a wind for xmas, and id really liek to have it working with headphones on christmas (willing to replace wifi card)

do you reccomend i just go for the wind?

Nick14

Nick14

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,125 posts
JaS has that keyboard problem

 Mysticus C*

 Mysticus C*

InsanelyMac Deity

• Members
  • 2,280 posts
Roly:

Sound problem will be overcome. Actually I didnt fully test the script yet, bcoz it required some package (CHUD from developer tools which i got it now) so I will retest the sound for headphone again
Note: with the chud package, speaker / headphone working with the scripts now... All it needs practical solution that will work, which i found one, but will need to read about it in order to make it noob-friendly... :unsure: Fingers crossed...

++ If you want it only for sound, neither wind, nor the this will satisfy you too quickly. Because even the wind, has sound problem, there are tricks to get headphone working, however downside is to run the script each time to enable headphone (disable internal speaker), or enable internal speaker (disable headphone), also after restart/sleep you still need to run the script to get the function you want from the speaker or headphone... Meaning either one still not very satisfactory! Internal speakers are weak in general, but headphone not bad, just need to get it working which i m testing more...
++ WIFI will need to be replaced, which is not a very expensive option anyways... Also heard some rumors that the atheros 5007eg chip support is added to some packages by apple, which may be due in some future updates? who knows :blink:
++ LAN there is no solution yet for it, although some people were working on it to get it working...

If you want suggestion, I would say NC10 wins the hearth of me. Why?

+ In windows, touchpad is multi-touch enabled :( anyone mentioned it? i just figured it out :)
+ Screen is awesome, very good quality (led-backlight very nice bright/contrast rich colors)
+ Battery life is something not seen in a long time... :thumbsup_anim: in windows, with some energy savings etc, heavy usages ~4-5 hrs, light usage ~7 hrs, in osx, without much battery management ~ 4.5 hrs
+ Apart from the sound/headphone issue, this thing i beleive can be compared to macbook (old ones of course in terms of power)
+ did i mention you can use vanilla kernel? :) of course u need to have cpus=1 flag due to atom being single core (wih hyper-threading), i m still mingling around with the system to find right driver mix for this.
+ it takes 28 secs to boot with the slowest hdd possible :), from the time you hit enter in OS selec

+ I will make all-in-one drivers packages into my current update installers, therefore you will not need to search around a lot to find information... Also will put screen caps of the procedures as well to get less question regarding what-to-does.
+ I dont know anyone started touch-screen project on this model, but i will start mine as soon as the guy from ebay comes back from his vacation (2-3 weeks time).
+ Wind is more popular maybe but problems/answers are all over the place and not all the answers are noob-friendly... You will see how easy-to-use the packages I will make :)

But money is yours of course...

Nick14: jas release has the keyb/touchpad drivers, i can install manually from pkg names, but in the options i dunno which option those drivers are... But the "Test2" package in my current update patches enables touchpad/keyboard to work on NC10 just fine...

All-in-one installer in the works now, I m just testing couple more things before I post it here...

RolyBiffy

RolyBiffy

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts
thanks very very very much!

im slightly swayd towards an advent 4211 now since its only 240 refurbbb

but ill keep reading up on both the wind and this forum for the samsung and decide after a few more weeks!

Mr_CP

Mr_CP

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
hi there mate, just wondering whether you used the usb mount solution that you mentioned in the other thread for the NC10, to get the usb and sd card working?

 Mysticus C*

 Mysticus C*

InsanelyMac Deity

• Members
  • 2,280 posts

hi there mate, just wondering whether you used the usb mount solution that you mentioned in the other thread for the NC10, to get the usb and sd card working?

usb mount issue happens when you have different version of kernel and system.kext

since i use correct version in my packages for kernel and system.kext everything working fine...

there is no usb 2.0 controller issue so people who had problem actually using different kernel and system.kext tahts why it is happening to them...

like i said it in first post,

USB mounts fine, MEMORY CARDS (i tested only SD card) mounts just fine...

and yes solution is the same i mentioned...

For everyone's convenience in couple of days, i will assemble the files that are needed to work almost everything (except lan and wifi since there is no driver support cant do much)...

So you will use only one installer to get everything working...

So far most main stuffs are working...

But what is most beautiful is the screen! Colors excelent (i m no pro for photoshop video etc but i can tell it will satisfy many people) Brightness/Contrast Great!

Always check back POST #1 where I will include update news...

Rollly: Just check one of samsung NC10 and advent if you can, to see/to compare... Screens matter a lot, and most of the netbooks have crappy screeens usually... Just as an advice... good luck

Mr_CP

Mr_CP

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
cheers mate look forward to it.

update: tried the sd card reader with a sdhc card and it worked perfectly.

 Mysticus C*

 Mysticus C*

InsanelyMac Deity

• Members
  • 2,280 posts
Screen Cap added for upcoming all-in-one installer to get everything working (except the wifi and lan for lack of drivers...)

DJKwai

DJKwai

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts

Screen Cap added for upcoming all-in-one installer to get everything working (except the wifi and lan for lack of drivers...)

Ah, Mysticus C, I found you over here hanging out with the UK version of the NC10. Thanks for the screen cap tease. I'm happy to see your work is progressing to help out noobs like me on this install.

I'm assuming there aren't any differences between the UK and US versions of the NC10, so I look forward to using your install on my machine.

 Mysticus C*

 Mysticus C*

InsanelyMac Deity

• Members
  • 2,280 posts

Ah, Mysticus C, I found you over here hanging out with the UK version of the NC10. Thanks for the screen cap tease. I'm happy to see your work is progressing to help out noobs like me on this install.

I'm assuming there aren't any differences between the UK and US versions of the NC10, so I look forward to using your install on my machine.

i doubt there will be any difference apart from keyboard layout :(

This machine rocks... :)

I tested the mirroring, and it works great, though you may need some programs (for example displayconfigx :) ) for LCD TV monitors, for example mine is a cheap {censored} and EDID data (monitor information regarding capabilities of the monitor) it provides is no enough to send 1280x720 output... so I use displayconfigx to set custom resolutions for me... works great...

For the installation of drivers and updates, you will find it the easiest around so far because everything i do is usually compacted into one convenient installer, so you will not need to read around :) though you may still need USB keyb/mouse initially for Main installation, as well as a USB flash or DVD-Rom for known reasons...

Jas DVD actually contains correct keyb/mouse patch however i could nt figure out the right option for installation. anyways, i will test the installer couple of times with different settings (esp new dsdt patch, to see how it reacts...) when i feel confident about the settings/drivers after couple of testing, i will post it right away... (1-2 days tough needed for extensive testing) so patience will be the key... :)

adamcarter

adamcarter

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
M.....C Thanks buddy you are the man. guess this is the new hangout area.

okay I guess I just want to ask again fi you think the dell 1505 abgn card would work. cause i want n capabilities and can you have the driver fixscript things for those

also not that it is super important what about the fix to the apple system profiler to see it as atom processor

ps i know we need to use an external monitor for install but you think photoshop cs4 will run decent?

AndyMax

AndyMax

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
Hi. I cannot find or see the 'customize' option in installer when installing the post combo update. It just installed. Is there something more I need to do?

If I restart and it is messed up because I could not customize, will there be anything I can do to fix the problem?

Thanks!

Well... I force quit installer so I didn't have to restart. Did the first two steps again and then the third and now see the install button (I also downloaded it again from a different mirror. So, I hope that I've not messed it up. Will now customize and reboot.

Thanks!

Pezmc

Pezmc

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts
I've been having a lot of trouble updating mine to 10.5.5 I will wait until this is released!
Thanks for all your fantastic help!

I can't wait (I don't need drivers as I have changed the wifi card).

Hope all is well.

So everyone is aware the dell 1500 (1505) works perfectly!
Drivers for XP (if you need to dual boot) are here: http://ftp.us.dell.c...ork/R151519.EXE
These are the only ones that work with NC10 other ones such as
http://ftp.us.dell.c...ork/R140745.EXE and
http://ftp.us.dell.c...ork/R151517.EXE
Do NOT work.

 Mysticus C*

 Mysticus C*

InsanelyMac Deity

• Members
  • 2,280 posts
Adamcarter:

external monitor not needed at all ;)
i will check for the dell wifi u talk about, i dont know yet. But dell dw1490 s are gonna work OTB, which i found on ebay, they will be recognized as airports bcoz they are using the same airport chips, dunno about your dell model, but if it is supported, it should work.

andymax: i didnt release the nc10 update package, the one you are using is general purpose one, and do not have all the drivers you need!... you have to wait 1-2 days until i release the full blown update package only for nc10s, so you will not be confused with the update/drivers packages... just be patient...

pezmc: i updated to 10.5.5 just fine :happymac: i m just trying to get proper stable instaler work so that people will not have trouble in the update process at all... smooth as butter...

for the network card u mentioned, i dont know but if people got them working fine, it should work, i will download the drivers u posted, so you will see them in the update package as well...

also what will you see in the guides above is another guide to make a backup system in case u wanna test updates before making them main stream :)

just a bit of patience for 1-2 days ok?

it will worth it... trust me...

 Mysticus C*

 Mysticus C*

InsanelyMac Deity

• Members
  • 2,280 posts
here is a screen cap after adding wifi (working otb as airport as the chip is same as airports)
Posted Image

while sending this, time machine is working and doing its job :unsure:
(time machine is working :D )

update package is coming soon as well, doing my last tests and tweaking...

Pezmc

Pezmc

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts
Quick question to people in the know.
If I shut the lid on my NC10 it goes into standby, then comes out a second later (lights come back on, hdd spins up, backlight on - you can see glow), is on for a few seconds then back into standby. It repeats this indefinitely.
What is going on and how do I fix it? It's rather crazy!

 Mysticus C*

 Mysticus C*

InsanelyMac Deity

• Members
  • 2,280 posts

Quick question to people in the know.
If I shut the lid on my NC10 it goes into standby, then comes out a second later (lights come back on, hdd spins up, backlight on - you can see glow), is on for a few seconds then back into standby. It repeats this indefinitely.
What is going on and how do I fix it? It's rather crazy!

driver mixture cause this trouble... i can assure you i dont have that trouble on my machine, so be patient and all will be solved at once :)

Mr_CP

Mr_CP

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

here is a screen cap after adding wifi (working otb as airport as the chip is same as airports)

while sending this, time machine is working and doing its job :)
(time machine is working :) )

update package is coming soon as well, doing my last tests and tweaking...

:) you got the wifi working with the atheros wifi card?? :| wow you my friend are awesome

 Mysticus C*

 Mysticus C*

InsanelyMac Deity

• Members
  • 2,280 posts

:) you got the wifi working with the atheros wifi card?? :) wow you my friend are awesome

YOU GOT IT WRONG!

i bough a dell wifi card, and installed it, bcoz current solutions dont work as of yet, although realtek promised to release drivers for it, it will probably will take some time untill they release official drivers...

there is one linux driver port, for atheros 5007eg but it is a bit dodgy... i dont wanna risk anything...

i just bought one card thats it...

replacing the card is easy, opening the case not that hard, but a bit of attention and gentle touch is required :)

also i m doing the tests still to get best working combination of drivers, so that people dont have any trouble after installing them...

but testing take quite a bit of time due t very slow performing hdd... i may probably replace it with a 7200 rpm hdd which are not vey expensive anymore...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy