[05-16-11] Dual NVidia 8600m GT SLI laptop Dual display HDMI / Internal working together

ludacrisvp

99 posts in this topic

I checked into my 10.6.2 installation (I have a double partiton into my HD one for the working OS and one for the tests/update) and I do not have DSMOS.kext in my system.

I also have fakesmc.kext in my extra/extensions folder only.

I tried to boot with -v flag unsuccessfully.

Thanks.

@Whityini - hmmm.... not sure exactly whats going on there, you could try to install fakesmc v2.5 with fake sudden motion sensor that i have also attached here, it may help.

I noticed you put -v there, did you mean -f ? -f will force a reload of all kexts before boot attempt.

Its also possible that some part of the update was corrupted.

I'm pretty sure that someone had asked about a working web cam in the OSX install.

I have mine working now, there is a minor work around but it is seen by the OS as "Built-in iSight"

You will need to have a kext by AnV that I put in our camera's device and product ids.

Not sure if being seen as built-in affects compatibility or not but it makes it look better.

I have attached it here.

You will also need to get CamTwist

So install Kext and reboot.

you can check system profiler under USB to see if your Chicony camera is now seen as an iSight.

Install CamTwist

open camtwist prefs

under video devices

check the box to force 320x240

under general

change to 30fps

under video apps

uncheck "don't load....unless camtwist is running"

I have used it in iChat and PhotoBooth and mercury messenger and it does work in system prefs its just kind of a pain to use there.

Easy way to use is open app you want video in then open camtwist and double click on "webcam" on left then you should see video

show up in your app. if not in camtwist pick tools then preview to see if youre getting video, just opening this is usually enough to make it work.

They are very bad in low light so try holding something bright in front of camera to make sure it works.

-----------

Also way long ago when I posted some screens of my lappy someone asked about Bluetooth working on my machine.

It did work out of the box as long as I had a warm restart from Windows into OSX. if the system was fully off and booted

into OSX directly there was NO bluetooth support.

I have since removed the original BT card and internalized the guts of a BT USB dongle.

This computer seems to have many USB busses that are just lying around the motherboard unused.

I grabbed the +5v from the cable that goes to the fingerprint reader (also runs on USB)

and then re-used the data cables that went to the original BT device the +5v that was used by original

only gets power when booted with windows.

So in theory one could just do the +5v power tap off of fingerprint reader and connect it to existing card and have BT all the time.

It is under the keyboard just like the original and OSX sees it functioning all the time.

It shows under the USB section as a BCM92045DG-FLASH and under Bluetooth as

Apple Bluetooth Software Version: 2.3.1f4

Hardware Settings:

Address: xx-xx-xx-xx-xx-xx ---- I edited for post

Manufacturer: Broadcom

Name: Ludacrisvp’s MacBook Pro

Firmware Version: 39 (8269)

Bluetooth Power: On

Discoverable: Yes

Vendor ID: 0

Product ID: 0x1

HCI Version: 3 (0x3)

HCI Revision: 8269 (0x204d)

LMP Version: 3 (0x3)

LMP Subversion: 16679 (0x4127)

Device Type (Major): Computer

Device Type (Complete): Macintosh Portable

Composite Class Of Device: 3801356 (0x3a010c)

Device Class (Major): 1 (0x1)

Device Class (Minor): 3 (0x3)

Service Class: 464 (0x1d0)

AnyiSightCam.kext_2.zip

fakesmc.zip

Thanks for your reply.

Yes I was meaning -f.

I'll will now make other tests and I'll let you know.

What do you suggest to install the new fakesmc.kext and then proceed with the upgrade or upgrade the system and then install fakesmc?

I tried to replace fakesmc 1.0 with fakesmc 2.5 but the system hangs at the reboot even using -f flag. Maybe I haven't correctly installed it partly because if I reinstall the old one the system boots correctly.

I have dl the file you attached and get the fakesmc.kext from the Release Leopard directory and installed it with "kext helper b7" utility. Is it the right way?

I just moved the old fakesmc out of the extra folder. Then dropped in the new one. OSX asked for password and that was it. Rebooted and it worked. Kext Helper will install to System/library/extensions. So u don't want that.

I have also been using an app to control screen brightness. Its free and called shades. You can map it to use your F6 and F7 keys to control brightness. It doesn't reduce power used but will reduce the blinding bright screen. And keyboard maestro to map the F10 thru f12 as mute and vol up and down since that stupid volume wheel next to the SD card reader is {censored}. Keyboard app is shareware though.

I got it !!!!

I selected the wrong fakesmc. Now with the right one everything is going correctly.

Thanks for your help ludacrisvp: it's always precious.

I will also try the software for the webcam and the other one for the screen brightness.

• 4 weeks later...

hello all,

i'm stuck somewhere close to the beginning. if i'm off-topic or asking for repeats please do forgive - but i've googled/download/tried-and-erred way too much, and i'm pretty sure the people in this thread are the ones to ask for help

intro:

my rig's a x205-s9359 (one of the original ones, with a just a single 8700m gt)

i'm an advanced noob i guess... (i got myself literate enough to get as far as 10.5.5 on my own a year or so back), now i would like to go snow.

problem:

as said, i'm stuck at the beginning... most of the simple guides out there do not get my snow leo install dvd booting... the farthest i got was the restore dvd image to usb, and boot from that usb - adding the bootloader and some kexts using one of the automated install pkg-s i found on the net, but it still panics.

current state:

i now installed a sort'o working 10.5.6, just so i could prepare for installing snow (i'm trying to get graphics working on that just for practice right now).

question:

could anyone here point me to a boot image, how to prepare my own boot image, the proper pack of kexts to get my dvd (or usb image thereof) to boot on the x205-s9359?

...possibly in newbie lingo? (and no, i have not edited dsdt-s yet, but am willing to learn if need be :-)

thanks to all in advance!

• 1 month later...

Hello!

First I'd like to thank ludacrisvp for sharing all of his work and findings on installing Leo in the awesome Toshiba x205.

I own a x205-Sli1 and although I'm really new at these, by following some of the instructions in the Pre-Install Automator 1.1 I was able to install SL in my laptop. There are a few things that are holding me back though, It'd be great if I could get a helping hand.

1. In one posts, ludacrisvp mentions that using Chamaleon RC3 boots Snow in 64 bits mode. However the Pre-Installer comes with Chamaleon RC2. I am afraid of messing up my boot and I have no idea how to install the newer release of Chamaleon (tried looking for a newbie guide but couldn't find a good one).

This leads me to another question...

How do I force boot in 64bit mode.

2. Is there a better way to install Snow Leo retail now? (I tried Empire EFI 1.08 but it failed everytime).

3. Lastly, how should I go about patching my dsdt using your dsdt.aml?

Quick instrunctions will suffice. I'll do my homework!

Thanks again and go Toshiba!

problem:

as said, i'm stuck at the beginning... most of the simple guides out there do not get my snow leo install dvd booting... the farthest i got was the restore dvd image to usb, and boot from that usb - adding the bootloader and some kexts using one of the automated install pkg-s i found on the net, but it still panics.

current state:

i now installed a sort'o working 10.5.6, just so i could prepare for installing snow (i'm trying to get graphics working on that just for practice right now).

question:

could anyone here point me to a boot image, how to prepare my own boot image, the proper pack of kexts to get my dvd (or usb image thereof) to boot on the x205-s9359?

...possibly in newbie lingo? (and no, i have not edited dsdt-s yet, but am willing to learn if need be :-)

thanks to all in advance!

What I did was prepare the boot image in a USB using my friend's apple computer.

I ran the script found int the pre-installer topic.

Then I replaced the dsdt.aml inside the USB Image with luda's dsdt.aml (SL64 link).

After that I plugged the USB with the image into my laptop, powered it up my Toshiba and hit F12

I selected the USB to boot from it then followed the steps in the PRE-INSTALLER v1.1 topic.

This got me SL installed in my system with basic drivers.

However I believe there are better installation methods out there, so this might be outdated. I'm having trouble installing the SL64 kexts. I think it has to do with my system running under 32 bits mode. I tried forcing a 64 bits with -x64 boot flag, but didn't seem to work. Si 'm stuck right now. :(

Hope this helps you out.

I swear if I get this working I'll make a complete guide and will give full credit where it's due. :D

• 2 months later...

Hello.

I have a X205-Sli3

I was installed first iatkos s3 v2.

Then, i was downloaded the dsdt from a x205-sli6 and i installed it, but then, it didnt like to reboot anymore, panic kernel.

Then, i reinstall iatkos, panic kernel..

Reinstall without any kext... panic kernel

Then, reinstall IPC 10.5.x ... Panic Kernel.

Any suggest?

It may sound odd but sometimes when you use a dsdt from a machine that doesn't match your own system well enough or is corrupted it seems that it can effect your own bios setup. I stumbled into this when getting a dsdt ready for a buddy's atom eeepc NetBoot. I had his hard drive in my system and it booted with his dsdt and upon next reboot the bios splash was up for a crazy amount of time and the system ran at a snails pace in windows and inside the bios configuration. What I found to work was to go into bios and reset your defaults using the keyboard shortcut. If that fails flash to latest bios for your sli version. My other thoughts are don't waste any time with 10.5.x only install it if you need to use it to configure for the snow Leo install from the hard drive on an extra partition. In my experience more of the system works properly out of the box on snow Leo 64 than I was ever able to get on any version of 10.5.x. Graphical support being the biggest issue I had on 10.5.x works on 10.6.x 64bit with out any effort.

It may sound odd but sometimes when you use a dsdt from a machine that doesn't match your own system well enough or is corrupted it seems that it can effect your own bios setup. I stumbled into this when getting a dsdt ready for a buddy's atom eeepc NetBoot. I had his hard drive in my system and it booted with his dsdt and upon next reboot the bios splash was up for a crazy amount of time and the system ran at a snails pace in windows and inside the bios configuration. What I found to work was to go into bios and reset your defaults using the keyboard shortcut. If that fails flash to latest bios for your sli version. My other thoughts are don't waste any time with 10.5.x only install it if you need to use it to configure for the snow Leo install from the hard drive on an extra partition. In my experience more of the system works properly out of the box on snow Leo 64 than I was ever able to get on any version of 10.5.x. Graphical support being the biggest issue I had on 10.5.x works on 10.6.x 64bit with out any effort.

Thank you very much!.

I was upgraded my Bios of the last,(2008).

So. you didnt recomend iatkos s3 v2? or hazard http://www.leohazard.com/update.html ?

Because i was readed to install snow leopard i need other mac. right? @juato4(twitter)

<br />Thank you very much!.<br /><br />I was upgraded my Bios of the last,(2008).<br /><br />So. you didnt recomend iatkos s3 v2?<br /><br />Because i was readed to install snow leopard i need other mac. right? @juato4(twitter)<br />

basically use any 10.5.x install you like on the machine to use as the "other Mac" that you need to use to get the snow Leo install ready. Most likely you will have little to no graphic support in any 10.5 install. That's fine just use the basic driverless video support. Install whichever version of snow Leo you like and have it install and boot in x64. I personally used my retail disc and haven't looked at any of the distros for snow Leo so I cannot say what is good or bad to use.

• 8 months later...

With the help of Toshiba's new 2.70 bios that was released early this year I now have HDMI video working, audio over HDMI is unknown at the moment. So Dual Displays using HDMI on one and the built in display active. I needed to make a new DSDT since they had some other odd errors in it that I had not ran into before.

Fully updated on 10.6.7

• 3 weeks later...

sorry if this has been asked before, or if this is the wrong thread...

i'm all current snow on my x205-3959, one of the last things i'd really need working is:

SLEEP/RESUME (preferably on lid close/open)

what do i need?

thanks for the help in advance1

cheers

• 1 month later...
sorry if this has been asked before, or if this is the wrong thread...

i'm all current snow on my x205-3959, one of the last things i'd really need working is:

SLEEP/RESUME (preferably on lid close/open)

what do i need?

thanks for the help in advance1

cheers

probably missing pnlf in dsdt .. auto-patcher thread

wow... could you kindly ellaborate on that...

what information could i provide to get a more precise (what-to-do-type) answer.

i don't think i use any dsdt-s (i never edited or downloaded one), i just added the bunch of extra kexts i have downloaded.

i can send list of relevant directories if that would help...)

thanks for any help in advance!

cheers!

• 3 weeks later...

has anyone had issues wit changing original wireless intel 3945 ? i put gateway ar5b91 and shows it loads kext. but no wireless signals.

i believe bios has some extra functions for tosh valz with pci-e data flow.

The card doesn't turn on when you aren't using the intel chip. I swapped out for a Dell 1390 broadcom chip. Kext would load fine but the card would not turn on. I ended up removing pin 20 from the Dell card to allow it to turn on. I would have to assume that there is something in the dsdt that could have been changed to allow the card to turn on but this way I always have my card active no matter what. You can still tell osx and windows to not use them if you wanted to use an alternate form to connect to the network.

cool so tape on pin 20 does trick. no pin 21 ? yah the bios needs some kind of tweak .. i was askin in bios-mods and mydigitallife .. kizwan answered in bios-mods for x205-S9359

i see since like 2.50 or so in changelogs of bios there was some tweak to atheros cards xb63 xb72 .. i wonder if xb91 (toshiba wll6080-d4 would work).

so they definitely dug into it (toshiba)

BTW the VIDS, in dsdt is for video device id to see if it can turn on SLI (part of the check to enable it)

examopple IF LEqual VIDS<

return something. if u remove the iflequal. it will return the value to enable and remove the else section.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi ,i read all discussion i have 8600m gt and lion osx installed on acer 5920g,i use nvenabler64.kext for my gpu and is recognized by systemprofile as one gpu with 256mb.I d like to know it s possibke to active 2 gpu for hmdi out like for tiger and snow.Thank you the attachment file zip is no more aviable

I am not using an injector like nvenabler. I just use the built into chameleon graphicsenabler=yes and I have it load the graphics card ROM manually. I extracted the ROM from windows 7 using GPU-Z and put the ROM in /Extra and named it 10DE_0407.rom. That combined with a custom DSDT and the fact that Toshiba updated the BIOS version allowed me to get HDMI and internal screen support. Where as before I only had internal screen.

What attachment zip are you mentioning that is not available anymore?

Hi luda thx for your answer,have you also modifed boot.plist adding efi genereted with osx tools?for dsdt i used patchdsdt is good same? I put rom ,change name in 10de_0407 ,created with gpu z in extra folder and delete nvenabler64.i boot with flag graphicenabler yes,now in system profile i see internal room,but no dual display e no qE ci.