[05-16-11] Dual NVidia 8600m GT SLI laptop Dual display HDMI / Internal working together

ludacrisvp

99 posts in this topic

Well after months and months of struggling with this QE-CI lack of support I FINALLY got it to work.

This screen shot was taken before doing a sleep of the display and the FPS are rather low but they were many times faster than software rendering.

QE_CI_SLI6.tiff

After doing the sleep display trick the FPS are about 550 in each except the last one it was 123 avg.

I threw in an old copy of Leo4All and after some struggling with HFS partition error fixing and some other trial and error type routines I found a working configuration.

I will post my kexts to a file sharing host.

Now to get updated from 10.5.2 without losing it. :)

The install that allowed me to use the QE-CI was that from the Leo4All v3.

I was pretty sure that during install I selected the 10.5.2 kexts and then I took the

nvinject 2.1 that came from the dell laptops installer.

EFI strings Do NOT work for some reason and I have to use the injector.

I don't understand why that is.

I have added everything graphically related that I can think of to this .rar file.

I haven't tried updating anything yet so it is still 10.5.2... I lost my iDeneb disc so

I haven't been able to try it in that version and injectors don't work in 10.5.6.

http://www.filefactory.com/file/a042570/n/Working_Kexts_rar

I included some frameworks, I don't know if they are needed or not but they can't hurt.

Now to start to tackle getting this support in 10.5.5 and then to get sound out of this system.

Built in 4.1, yes it has a "subwoofer"

ludacrispv, I would like to try your WorkingKexts, but I'm guessing what is the best way to install frameworks files because I cannot just copy them into the right directory for authorizations reasons.

What do you suggest?

Thanks

• 4 weeks later...

I have been rather busy with school, buying a new car, and a plasma tv that was given to me to even look at OSx86 work on my laptop. I have literally just got it working in 10.5.2 and posted what I think allowed it to work framework wise and haven't had a chance to try and update from 10.5.2 or anything. It was like this ok it works now, post what i think allowed it to work and then I haven't had any time to even turn it on since. There should be a tutorial somewhere that goes over framework installations.

I don't think all of them are needed but I grabbed any that sounded like they might and uploaded them.

• 2 months later...

Well it has been a long time since I have updated this topic...

I have been using the Kexts that are pre leopard graphics update 1.0 to get QE-CI fully supported.

I have tried to get them working on 10.5.5 and it just isn't happening, I thought about trying to get to a higher version but I haven't really seen a reason to do so.

So all you really need it the graphics kexts prior to the leo graphic update, and nvinject 0.2.1 256mb

and Leo4all v3.

One big update is now that thanks to voodooHDA I now have sound on the ALC268 chipset!!

So I now have a fully working 10.5.2 vanilla kernel system.

See here for a download link for the VoodooHDA.kext

• 3 months later...

After a long time of trying to get QE/CI to work on my laptop i finally managed to do it with Leo4all v3 (10.5.2) and NVinject 2.1.0 (dual/go versions, efi strings, newer osx wouldn't work, leads to KP).

However, there is another problem left unresolved... I can't get dual monitors to work (Internal + VGA output). Tried several NVCAP values, but no avail. Perhaps the problem is that cards have different bioses with different NVCAPS and i guess one is giving image to internal monitor, and the other to the external.

From system profiler:

1st card

Nvidia GeForce 8600m GT:

Chipset Model: Nvidia GeForce 8600m GT

Type: Display

Bus: PCIe

PCIe Lane Width: x16

Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)

Device ID: 0x0407

Revision ID: 0x00a1

ROM Revision: NVinject 0.2.1

Displays:

Display Connector:

2nd card

Nvidia GeForce 8600m GT:

Chipset Model: Nvidia GeForce 8600m GT

Type: Display

Bus: PCIe

PCIe Lane Width: x16

VRAM (Total): 256 MB

Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)

Device ID: 0x0407

Revision ID: 0x00a1

ROM Revision: NVinject 0.2.1

Displays:

Display:

Resolution: 1680 x 1050

Depth: 32-bit Color

Built-In: Yes

Core Image: Hardware Accelerated

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Quartz Extreme: Supported

Please help me get this working... Thanks

Nevermind, booted freedos and got roms:

PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0) - card0.rom

PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0)/Pci(0x1,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0) - card1.rom

Roms are in attached zip

roms.zip

Edit: NVCAP Maker gave me the same NVCAPs as in previous posts, which i tried and it doesn't work :)

I did look into this a little bit when I was trying to get things working.

I didn't have a need for external monitor but I vaguely remember that

both the cards have their own firmware / bios version and one of the cards

never ever no matter what you do shows that it has any VRAM in system

profiler. I thought about flashing the bios of both of them to the same

firmware thinking that they would then both function fully.

I think that one of the cards that shows no VRAM may have a crippled

BIOS / firmware on it causing the issues in OSX. I have no real proof

of this other than a gut feeling and I am not daring enough yet to

try to flash the firmware of the one card to both of them.

perhaps if you are that daring you might.

One thing you could try is the HDMI out or DVI out if you have one,

it might be sending out a cloned image through one of those and

you dont know it.

I just have hdmi out, but don't have any monitor with hdmi input nor any convertor handy... :(

I'm too affraid to flash the card

Linux reports different things, maybe we can use that info... in fact it shows that both cards have 512mb (i think they share it, but probably a mistake putting 256 mb in nvinject, though shouldn't affect dual monitors)... And it shows both monitors on a same card... I guess second card handles hdmi and s-video

post-8406-1249985141_thumb.pngpost-8406-1249985156_thumb.png

Well under windows each card only shows 256mb and that is how Toshiba advertises the laptop in the fine print.

Its a dual GPU totaling 512mb of VRAM.

I am also running the 256mb nvinject, others are also running that same version.

I suppose its possible that one card runs VGA and internal connection and the other runs HDMI and S-Video.

Phew... i guess i'll also try older nvinjects later today... i think there are some different versions of nvinjects with dual cards support...

Edit: Just 0.2.1. works...

boot into dos and use nvflash

i think the command is nvflash --list or something like that, google it!

it'll list both your cards, dev ids and ram amounts....i hope.

UPDATE:

EFI strings work (in 10.5.2), here is how (though I'm still unable to make it work on newer OSX):

Generate xml for nVidia 8600 GT, then copy it into an empty file, change PCI ID to PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0)/Pci(0x1,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0), and change NVCAP to 04000000 00000500 02000000 00000007 00000000

Convert it to hex with gfxutil, put it in com.apple.Boot.plist and reboot. Remember to delete NVinject before that.

Full QE/CI and dual monitors :(

Summary:

I noticed that anything that enables the second graphics card causes kernel panic, so i decided to try and ignore the first card (since it is used just for laptop display, second card supports laptop display and external displays), and it worked, so the second card does nothing...

Anyone got an idea how to make this work on 10.5.7 (currently installed on the second partition) or newer?

com.apple.Boot.plist.txt

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I have finished installing a retail copy of Snow Leopard 10.6 on my Toshiba Satellite x205-SLI6

Sound does not work, even when using VoodooHDA 64. errors opening PCI device.

Full graphical acceleration under 32 and 64 bit modes using nvinject 0.2.2 compiled for 64 bit SL

I have made a modified DSDT.aml file to fix the bios settings being reset at every reboot.

I have also made some changes to the graphics card information in the DSDT that I think helped enable acceleration in SL.

Here is a link to the kexts and DSDT.aml I am using in my system it should help those using this laptop as well.

card_info.tiff

10.6.1.tiff

SL 64 bit kexts

Will someone update topic description... It is possible with EFI strings.

I am still unable to get the EFI strings to work with my machine. I have tried your NVCAP and mine with no luck. But oh well injectors work on Snow Leopard right now. So I just dropped the GFX strings part of the topic title.

-------------------------------

Hi guys,

you're not alone!

I'm tryin' to install Mac OS X on my Laptop Toshiba Satellite x200-24e.

I'm reading every single post of this discussion and I hope to find the light.

Just one question.

When you have a Kernek Panic Like this

kernel_panic-1p0f.png

and there's no way to come back to the desktop what do you do?

I've made a Disk image with Disk Utility and everytime I have a problem i use It but it's so frustrating :( .

I've tried with kalyway 10.5.2, no video driver, vanilla kernel... I obtained to get the desktop with a resolution of 1024x768, the system detected a video card of 32MB and a mac pro 3.1 processor. No Intel!!!

After this I've made a disk image and I've tried this:

1) 9f23installer.pkg (KERNEL PANIC INSTANTANEOUS)2) Nvidia Installer V1.9 by Punk92 (KERNEL PANIC ON REBOOT)

3) Nvidia Installer V2.0 by Punk92 (KERNEL PANIC ON REBOOT)

4) Nvidia-Leopard-Graphics-Kexts.pkg (KERNEL PANIC INSTANTANEOUS)

5) EFI STUDIO (KERNEL PANIC INSTANTANEOUS)

6) NvInstaller 4.1 (KERNEL PANIC INSTANTANEOUS)

Someone suggest me to try iDeneb v1.3 (10.5.5) and now i've found it.

Any Suggestion for me, SLI Toshiba friends?

Thanks in advance and excuse me for my bad english.

Hi guys,

you're not alone!

I'm tryin' to install Mac OS X on my Laptop Toshiba Satellite x200-24e.

I'm reading every single post of this discussion and I hope to find the light.

Just one question.

When you have a Kernek Panic Like this

kernel_panic-1p0f.png

and there's no way to come back to the desktop what do you do?

I've made a Disk image with Disk Utility and everytime I have a problem i use It but it's so frustrating :( .

I've tried with kalyway 10.5.2, no video driver, vanilla kernel... I obtained to get the desktop with a resolution of 1024x768, the system detected a video card of 32MB and a mac pro 3.1 processor. No Intel!!!

After this I've made a disk image and I've tried this:

1) 9f23installer.pkg (KERNEL PANIC INSTANTANEOUS)2) Nvidia Installer V1.9 by Punk92 (KERNEL PANIC ON REBOOT)

3) Nvidia Installer V2.0 by Punk92 (KERNEL PANIC ON REBOOT)

4) Nvidia-Leopard-Graphics-Kexts.pkg (KERNEL PANIC INSTANTANEOUS)

5) EFI STUDIO (KERNEL PANIC INSTANTANEOUS)

6) NvInstaller 4.1 (KERNEL PANIC INSTANTANEOUS)

Someone suggest me to try iDeneb v1.3 (10.5.5) and now i've found it.

Any Suggestion for me, SLI Toshiba friends?

Thanks in advance and excuse me for my bad english.

When you get that screen for a kernel panic there is not a thing you can do to get back to the desktop.

Think of that as a blue screen of death from windows world.

Well I can tell you that I tried all 6 of your items listed with just as much luck as you had.

You will find that Leo4all v3 or v2 (both are 10.5.2) will work and will give you QE/CI when using Nvinject 0.2.1 256mb.

You will also find that any version of 10.5 above .2 will not allow QE/CI no matter what you do.

I have tried iDeneb 1.3 and iPC and they all end the same way either Kernel Panic or no display or no QE/CI

What I recommend any user of the x200 series to do is to pick up a copy of Snow Leopard and enjoy

an almost out of the box / effortless use of QE/CI.

Install nvinject that I attached in my earlier post and boot in x64 bit mode and there you have it.

I did also add my device id to GeForce.kext, NVDAResman.kext, NVDANV50HAL.kext

When you get that screen for a kernel panic there is not a thing you can do to get back to the desktop.

Think of that as a blue screen of death from windows world.

Well I can tell you that I tried all 6 of your items listed with just as much luck as you had.

You will find that Leo4all v3 or v2 (both are 10.5.2) will work and will give you QE/CI when using Nvinject 0.2.1 256mb.

You will also find that any version of 10.5 above .2 will not allow QE/CI no matter what you do.

I have tried iDeneb 1.3 and iPC and they all end the same way either Kernel Panic or no display or no QE/CI

What I recommend any user of the x200 series to do is to pick up a copy of Snow Leopard and enjoy

an almost out of the box / effortless use of QE/CI.

Install nvinject that I attached in my earlier post and boot in x64 bit mode and there you have it.

I did also add my device id to GeForce.kext, NVDAResman.kext, NVDANV50HAL.kext

Thank You So Much for your prompt answer!

This is What I Have Done today:

1) Installed Leo4all v3 10.5.2

2) Added Device nvidia 8600GT 256mb using EFI STUDIO

3) Then "Hex String to Clipboard" and "Write to com.apple.Boot.plist"

4) Pasted GeForce.kext, NVDANV50HAL.kext, NVinject.kext from your attached .RAR file in /extensions. (No NVDAResman.kext or KP!!!)

5) Boot Flag using OSX 86 to have 1440x900 screen resolution

6) Enable Quartz GL using OSX 86.

Now in System Profiler I see:

Nvidia Geforce 8600m GT

Nvidia Geforce 8600m GT

The First Card: 256mb VRAM - Nvinject 0.2.1

The Second Card: 32mb VRAM - Quartz Extreme not supported / Quartz GL Supported.

My questions for you (Thank You In Advance):

1) What is wrong? How Can I Do to have 256Mb per card as you?

2) Is It Normally set the right resolution using bootflag in Osx86 tools?

3) I have iDeneb 1.6 10.5.8 Lite Edition. You Suggest me to directly try that? (The Ideneb 10.5.7 didn't detect my hard disk :( )

Thank You!

Hi ludacrisvp

nice to read you again.

First of all thanks for your suggestion about the fix for my sound card: it works correctly.

Now I would like to install Snow Leo also into my laptop. Could you please address me to the guide you used to install it (if any)?

Thanks in advance.

1) Installed Leo4all v3 10.5.2

2) Added Device nvidia 8600GT 256mb using EFI STUDIO

3) Then "Hex String to Clipboard" and "Write to com.apple.Boot.plist"

4) Pasted GeForce.kext, NVDANV50HAL.kext, NVinject.kext from your attached .RAR file in /extensions. (No NVDAResman.kext or KP!!!)

5) Boot Flag using OSX 86 to have 1440x900 screen resolution

6) Enable Quartz GL using OSX 86.

Now when I setup my system if I used EFI strings it would make my system not work with all extensions.

I would advise that you remove the EFI strings if you want to have it work.

My questions for you (Thank You In Advance):

1) What is wrong? How Can I Do to have 256Mb per card as you?

2) Is It Normally set the right resolution using bootflag in Osx86 tools?

3) I have iDeneb 1.6 10.5.8 Lite Edition. You Suggest me to directly try that?

1. You will only have 1 card recognized as having 256mb of ram, the other card will have no ram at all. Under OSX you only want to have 1 card that is seen by the system. By removing the EFI string and only using the injector it will add the 256mb of ram to the one card and leave the other one at 0mb. Your EFI string added 256mb of ram to the card that has no ram according to OSX and did nothing to the card that has 32mb according to OSX.

2. You can add "Graphics Mode"="1440x900x32" to your boot flags manually by editing the com.apple.Boot.plist or by typing it in at boot everytime. This will effect your boot resolution and wont really matter in the end once you have full graphical acceleration.

3. You could but I personally think it would be a big waste of your time if your goal is QE/CI.

Which post did you take the extensions from?

I just want to make sure you didn't try the kexts for snow leopard that really would not work on leopard.

These are the ones I use in 10.5.2

Geforce.kext.zip

NVinject.kext.zip

NVDANV50Hal.kext.zip

NVDAResman.kext

When you installed Leo4All did you select anything under the graphics section?

I was only able to get things working properly without selecting anything in there and manually making the changes to the kexts and getting a modified version of nvinject that I have posted above. So you may need to reinstall and make sure NOTHING is selected under the graphics area. Then install these, repair permissions and boot with -f.

Hi ludacrisvp

nice to read you again.

First of all thanks for your suggestion about the fix for my sound card: it works correctly.

Now I would like to install Snow Leo also into my laptop. Could you please address me to the guide you used to install it (if any)?

Thanks in advance.

I followed the steps from this post Pre-Install Automator v1.1

I made a partition large enough to copy the retail DVD that I bought for my Mac Pro to the hard drive and made the changes that the guide suggests and booted from the hard drive DVD image and installed it via that partition.

One downfall of Snow Leopard is that we don't have sound again. Otherwise it seems to be fully functional and its nice to have a system that we can update via software update and so far none of them break our install.

So follow that guide and then install snow leo. It will finish installing and it will say that the install failed but it does work fine, just restart and boot snow leo.

Then install the kexts from my earlier post for SL 64bit kexts and that should give you everything but sound.

One quick note is that under 32 bit mode I wasn't getting QE/CI and I did get a KP after using the system for a while.

The nice thing about Chameleon RC3 is that it defaults SL to boot in 64 bit mode so its nothing you need to really worry about.

Sound did not work under 32 bit mode either.

I followed the steps from this post Pre-Install Automator v1.1

I made a partition large enough to copy the retail DVD that I bought for my Mac Pro to the hard drive and made the changes that the guide suggests and booted from the hard drive DVD image and installed it via that partition.

One downfall of Snow Leopard is that we don't have sound again. Otherwise it seems to be fully functional and its nice to have a system that we can update via software update and so far none of them break our install.

So follow that guide and then install snow leo. It will finish installing and it will say that the install failed but it does work fine, just restart and boot snow leo.

Then install the kexts from my earlier post for SL 64bit kexts and that should give you everything but sound.

One quick note is that under 32 bit mode I wasn't getting QE/CI and I did get a KP after using the system for a while.

The nice thing about Chameleon RC3 is that it defaults SL to boot in 64 bit mode so its nothing you need to really worry about.

Sound did not work under 32 bit mode either.

Thanks for the prompt replay. During the weekend I'll try to install SL. :(

Ok I understand the missing of sound but what's about wifi and webcam?