OSX 10.5.5 (iDeneb 1.3) Kernel & Boot Options

chaosinmind

7 posts in this topic

Hello,

I am very new to OSX and the x86 project in general. I was able to install and boot OSX on the following setup without any errors first try:

* GIGABYTE GA-EP43-DS3L

* Core 2 Duo E7200

* 4GB OCZ 1066 DDR2

* ATI 2600XT 512MB

Almost everything worked out of the box. Video, Lan, DVD Drive. The only thing that does not work is my on board sound which I am researching on different threads. But that's not my problem....

My first question is:

Every time the system boots, I have to add the -x boot flag or it will just sit at a screen with my mouse in the upper left hand corner and never prompts me to log on. I know I can add this as a default boot option after palying around with the OS, but I don't even know what -x does. Why do I have to type -x and does it affect the functionality of my system? Also, Is it possible to change the kernel or something to allow it to boot without the flag?

My second question:

On iDeneb 1.3, I did not have the option to install the vanilla kernel in the custom options at install. Just 9.5.x patched by someone. Where can I obtain the most recent vanilla kernel? Ive ran a search but had no luck.

My first question is:

Every time the system boots, I have to add the -x boot flag or it will just sit at a screen with my mouse in the upper left hand corner and never prompts me to log on. I know I can add this as a default boot option after palying around with the OS, but I don't even know what -x does. Why do I have to type -x and does it affect the functionality of my system? Also, Is it possible to change the kernel or something to allow it to boot without the flag?

-x Is "Safe Boot" you might have some Extension that the system does not like... Have you loaded any drivers other than what was installed with the DVD? Did you choose a Sound driver?

My second question:

On iDeneb 1.3, I did not have the option to install the vanilla kernel in the custom options at install. Just 9.5.x patched by someone. Where can I obtain the most recent vanilla kernel? Ive ran a search but had no luck.

99.999% Sure that if you do not select a patched kernel witg iDeneb 1.3 it will install Vanilla Kernel. Hence no choice for it, only choices for non Vanilla.

I reinstalled the OS. I did not select a kernel. The only option I added was the 2600xt PCIE. No sound or anything. I'm under the assumption that this is the cause as it still booted to the blue screen with the mouse in the upper left hand corner again. I can move the mouse but a copy of the mouse cursor remains in the default spot.

I'm going to reinstall with zero options selected to see if that fixes the problem. If it does, I will be posting in the HW section for my video card.

im having a similar problem with my 1950xt card, im just running with no video driver at the moment because its VESA3.0 compliant so i get a basic resolution... but it seems that all the drivers ive found for my particular card either do what you described or just f**k the system completely.... kernel panic. yayyy..

hopefully you have better luck with your card :)

• 3 weeks later...

FYI on my install of iDeneb v1.3 on an ASUS P5K Deluxe with an ATI 2600XT PCIe, it first boots to a blue screen with a locked cursor. Restart and -x gets me logged in and through the registration process. Before restarting, I installing this driver from http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...107526&st=0 under "ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT"

After install of the driver and a restart, it booted up fine with no options.

-whitman

I reinstalled the OS. I did not select a kernel. The only option I added was the 2600xt PCIE. No sound or anything. I'm under the assumption that this is the cause as it still booted to the blue screen with the mouse in the upper left hand corner again. I can move the mouse but a copy of the mouse cursor remains in the default spot.

I'm going to reinstall with zero options selected to see if that fixes the problem. If it does, I will be posting in the HW section for my video card.

• 1 year later...
My first question is:

How do you boot without having to to type '-x' everytime, i need to do this but with typing 'voodoo'

Thanks.