How to reset hackintosh notebook external display settings?

macman88

6 posts in this topic

I am running an Acer Aspire 3680 on the latest version of Leopard.

While it runs perfectly fine with the laptop's LCD display, I wanted to hook it up to my monitor & full keyboard setup on my desk. When I first hooked it up, it displayed the expanded desktop mode fine. But since I was hoping of something more along the lines of cloning the display onto the external, I went into the display settings and switched it from extended to mirror. After switching it, the graphics driver would always glitch up when I would run OS X with the external monitor plugged in. When I pulled the VGA cable out though, the LCD screen on the notebook would return to normal.

Since the option to reconfigure the secondary display is only available when there's an external monitor is connected, I can't switch the mode back to extended desktop (which didn't cause the graphics to glitch up.)

Is there a way to delete my external monitor's setting without having to access the menu?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
If you are still facing this issue, you can go to http://www.philmug.ph/forum/showthread.php?t=38148 for help. The solution worked for me. Btw, something the forum forgot to mention is that com.apple.windowserver.plist is located under Library\Preferences\

Hi there, not sure if you would be able to read it and help me, but I am having the exact problem. The only thing is that I have an acer aspire one and I can't seem to find the com.apple.windowserver.plist. I tried going to the libraary and all i saw was something about font. Can you or anyone else help...i'm going insane

Boot into safe mode,

mount the drive

OR

Boot without the monitor connected

then:

rm -f /Library/Preferences/com.apple.window*

rm -f /Users/"USERNAME"/Library/Preferences/ByHost/com.apple.window*

rm -f /Users/"USERNAME"/Library/Preferences/ByHost/com.apple.pref*

This will reset the display configuration.

• 11 months later...
rm -f /Library/Preferences/com.apple.window*

rm -f /Users/"USERNAME"/Library/Preferences/ByHost/com.apple.window*

Renaming those two did the trick for me.

Have to remember never click on "mirror screens"...

• 2 months later...