Gigabyte's Nvidia 9400 powered M-ATX MOBO

stellarola

643 posts in this topic

It means that you need another mac to install 10.5.5 on the harddisk that you plan on putting in your hackintosh

@Stan78: Thanks for your quick reply!

I have to use another mac (e.g. MacBook Late 2008) and install the OS by using the Restore DVD on an external HD (e.g. USB) and put this HD into the HTPC based on the giga-board afterwords.

Is this right?

Do I need install some hacks an the USB-Drive bevor I put it in the HTPC as internal drive?

Thank you for your support again!

Burzel

You should install with Universal OSx86 Installer

like chriled did it here. It will install everything you need and then you had the fixed discussed in the previous post.

good night and goog luck.

Bob

Thank you for that post. My idea of what needed to be done to get started is totally blown, but for the better I suppose.

Sorry if you are frustrated by having to give that advice. I have been reading this thread and I felt compelled to ask something similar, because Stellarolla's post #13 suggested that the Restore DVD did most of the work, spare some ethernet issues. Maybe I'm not the most active board participator, but it seems to me this thread has taken a few turns from simply the Giga board. I have read each post, one after another, at least 3 times. I get turned around each time. That's not necessarily a problem or anyone's fault, but admitdly a swirl of information.

I have had to do a fair amount of work on my laptop to boast its OSX86 prowess and look forward to unpacking all my goodies and getting this project smokin' like I know it's going to. I have a lot of respect for the contributors and leaders on this board and look forward to having contact with you all.

-Z

Burzel,

I was able to get a stable hackintosh without a installing to a drive from another PC and moving it.

I was having trouble installing with any method or distro (except the iPC ) while I had more than 2 GB RAM, so beware.

Make sure you have a GUID partition. If you have several such partitions then once you have

a bootable OS X (even from safe mode) you can do what has been discussed here many times:

1) install OS X 10.5.5 (or 10.5.4) retail disk on another GUID partition

2) Run PC EFI v9 (Chameleon v1.0.12)

3) run the 10.5.6 combo update

4) fix the new setup with SMBIOSEnabler, genericCPUPowerManagement, dsmos and the DSDT.aml from this thread.

5) NVKush for video and the 2 AppleHDA kexts for sound

I have done such a 'bootstrap' method with this board.

No snowy crashes with only 2 gig Rams. I have really been testing it by copying large files and running high processing activities simultaneously , and I am thrilled.

I have had a couple of freezes but I was installing a firewire audio card. What's up with the 400MB firewire speed? Do you geniuses using the

unibody restore have a faster firewire?

Finally I got boot.

What I did are,

1) Made one partition with GUID table

1a) Installed PC EFI v9 (Chameleon v1.0.12).

2) install iPC 10.5.6 to USB connected hard disk from old white macbook.

2a) select chipset driver applenforceatatest nforce driver

2b) select Natit as video driver

2c) select Nforce ethernet driver

3) Signal64's DSDT.aml to root.

4) IntelCPUPMdisabler, SMBIOSEnabler and ... to Extra folder.

then I can boot normally, then install NVKush so I get QE/CI fully working.

Thanks a lot for all!

Okubo-show

Hi to all....

Thanks for the answers guys... quite a lot... :rolleyes:

Together with the newbie FAQ and my new project-partner chrilled :) I will try to setup my first hackintosh as soon as my board will arrive.

Still some questions to the crowd out there...

- Is there anyone who can or try to use the HDMI and the analog port with different resoutions simultaneously? - I have an Origen X15e with an internal 800*480 anlog screen. And my HDTV need access over HDMI/DVI at 1920*1080.

- Does the sound working at 100%? - Optical, HDMI, 5.1 Surround,....

- Can I use an Restore DVD or I need a Retail DVD to follow the last guide from raffitaffy? I really have to know, because I only have a Restore DVD available.

Thanks...

Burzel

- Can I use an Restore DVD or I need a Retail DVD to follow the last guide from raffitaffy? I really have to know, because I only have a Restore DVD available.

- Sound does not work 100% yet. No HDMI, no optical in (didn't test analog input yet) and output is limited to stereo and spdif pass-through

- You're on the safe side with your restore disc

- Is there anyone who can or try to use the HDMI and the analog port with different resoutions simultaneously? - I have an Origen X15e with an internal 800*480 anlog screen. And my HDTV need access over HDMI/DVI at 1920*1080.

Thanks...

Burzel

I'm pretty confident I can get the system running but am loftily concerning myself with the status of audio and HDMI...

My case is taking waaaaaay too long to get here so I'm not yet put together. Can't wait to jump in. Great work guys, especially chillred- for I will have nearly the exact same setup.

-Z

Great work guys, especially chillred- for I will have nearly the exact same setup.

I had to comment. :( I just wanted to say that all I have contributed is using other peoples hard work. Credit goes to Signal64, Diabolik and all others that spend their time helping me out. I'm just putting my hardware up for testing when needed. :-)

I'll be glad to share my experiences though! Thx zchef2k.

I had to comment. :) I just wanted to say that all I have contributed is using other peoples hard work. Credit goes to Signal64, Diabolik and all others that spend their time helping me out. I'm just putting my hardware up for testing when needed. :-)

I'll be glad to share my experiences though! Thx zchef2k.

Cheers to you all.

-Z

I'm interested in seeing if the MacBookMacBookProSU1.2.pkg mentioned earlier in the thread will help my machine run more smoothly. However the system won't let me "Show Package Contents" on the file, and won't install if I just run it. Anyone know how can I get inside this pkg and force it to install on my machine?

The approach that Diabolik and I have taken is using the alu macbook as the basis for the install for the 730i boards.

It has the changes for the nvidia support (from Apple mind you) where a current retail dvd doesn't.

It got ugly using a 10.5.5 install when using just some of the new kexts.

I'm interested in seeing if the MacBookMacBookProSU1.2.pkg mentioned earlier in the thread will help my machine run more smoothly. However the system won't let me "Show Package Contents" on the file, and won't install if I just run it. Anyone know how can I get inside this pkg and force it to install on my machine?

Yea, have fun with that. It's an update, not a full copy of everything.

Yea, have fun with that. It's an update, not a full copy of everything.

I'm aware of that. However, it also is said to address shared memory issues with the 9400M, so it's reasonable to assume that it might be of some assistance with these snow crashes people are experiencing.

Hey everyone,

just got my ga-e7aum-ds2h and it seems to have a problem with my hard drive (Seagate ST3500320AS 500GB SATA II), when i want to enable AHCI in the bio.

It does not recognize well in AHCI, but works fine in IDE mode.

Any info on what i could i have missed in the BIOS settings ?

Bob

ps: i have updated the BIOS to F2.

It does not recognize well in AHCI, but works fine in IDE mode.

Any info on what i could i have missed in the BIOS settings ?

The BIOS will not show any drives on the first page when AHCI is enabled.

Works fine otherwise.

You can still choose the boot drive in the advance menu.

RAM: 4 gig Corsair 800mhz HDD: Samsung Spinpoint F1 750gig System: Dualbooting Vista 64 and OSX 10.5.6 based on MBP-clone (10.5.5) 10.5.6 trough SU. PC_EFI v9 Chameleon Edition 1.0.12 and NvKush full QE on integrated Geforce 9400.

Next to fix: audio (ALC 889a) and HDMI out. HDMI and optical spdif multichannel outputs works (no sound over HDMI). No other in/outputs active/working. Wierd memory (?) problems -> getting gfx issues when extracting/archiving large files, but copying of large files work.. Going to do a reinstall and see if It's my own fault.

I am also using 4 gig Corsair 800mhz RAM and getting gfx issues. Removing 2G ram makes it work fine. Adding to 6G in total doesn't help. I have tried the iPC, Retail, Restore disks. All are with the same issues. Now I can only use 2G ram. Hope this can be solved soon. I wonder if it is the compatibility issue of the Corsair RAM.

Regarding audio, I got rear analog output and front mic input after applying AppleHDA.kext.

I summarize here two ways for installing, which I have tried successfully. Credit goes to Signal64, Diabolik and all others that spend their time for this.

Normal approach ==============================================================================

• OSXInstall.pkg using Pacifist with the MBP ALU restore disk, or retail disk

• Apply 10.5.6 update using Pacifist

• Install pc-efi v9 using Bootloader or UInstaller_1.0

• Copy DSDT.aml to root

• Boot to safe mode (-x)

• Use kexthelper to install dsmos.kext; IntelCPUPMDisabler.kext; SMBIOSENABLER.kext

• Install NVKush

• Reboot

Least modification ==============================================================================

• OSXInstall.pkg using Pacifist with the MBP ALU restore disk, or retail disk

• Apply 10.5.6 update using Pacifist

• Install pc-efi v9 using Bootloader or UInstaller_1.0

• Copy DSDT.aml to root

• Copy a dsmos.kext to /System/Library/Extensions

• Delete Dont Steal blah blah.kext

• Change you com.apple.Boot.plist so it's got a timeout and add -v by default

• Delete /System/Library/Extensions.mkext

• boot with -v -s initially, then mount -uw / (or whatever it says)

• cd /System/Library/Extensions

• chown -R 0:0 *

• Reboot

• Install NVKush

• Reboot

==============================================================================

• Modify the com.apple.boot.plist of your new install to include <key>Timeout/<key><string>8</string>

• 730i_AHCI for SATA

• ALC889A_1056_fix.zip, Install those two files with kexthelper, Make sure ACLinject or AppleAzaliaAudio aren't in the Extensionsfolder anymore.

The Gigabyte supported memory list should be looked at first:

http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/FileList/Memory...-e7aum-ds2h.pdf

The obvious things like making sure your running the correct voltage and setup for your RAM along with testing it with metest86+ should have already been done.

Try setting vid memory to manual 256MB and Robust Graphics Booster to disabled.

Stick a fan on the MCP (i.e. northbridge) heatsink.

Doesn't have to be attached, just something to get some decent airflow on it.

I had to do that with the board on the bench and using a tower cooler.

Graphics issues and general instability would occur otherwise, that heatsink gets hot enough to almost burn your hand.

You can also knudge the chipset and fsb by 0.1v, and again put a fan on the MCP heatsink.

Could also try 667 speed.

----------

I have 8Gig installed now and haven't noticed any issues.

No issues with openmark and no issues with regular use.

Rather than claim it works, what other tests do you guys want?

I am still following this thread with great interest - although these boards look very promising what is the bottom line when it comes to turning one into a reliable HTPC. I see that the main testers (ie Signal 64 and Diabilok for instance) still show other boards in their sigs.

I realise that we entering unknown territory with these boards (well osx86 was always new territory really) but for less technically minded people like myself, I an seriously having doubts about buying one now, and looking once again at the Gigabyte EP35 EP43 and EP 45 range.

Don't get me wrong, if I had the time and money to spend on trying to develop one then I would. My thanks and admiration to all those who do persevere - comments and advice welcome (polite preferred!!) ;)

Appreciate all help, not able to get it working this year :-) maybe next.. checked everything, removed all audio drivers so osx reports no audio device installed. Then install the two files again with kext helper. Looks fine in about, device id 12 + some code. But nothing in System preferences under audio output...

Happy new year!

So another 15 hours hard work later... I got a system that looks & feels good. No long endurance tests so far. Mem reports 1 gig but there is 2 in the system.. Base is iPC 10.5.6 distro, usual NVIDIA kexts, reinstalled natit.kext and there suddenly is sound also!

The Gigabyte supported memory list should be looked at first:

http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/FileList/Memory...-e7aum-ds2h.pdf

The obvious things like making sure your running the correct voltage and setup for your RAM along with testing it with metest86+ should have already been done.

tested ok

Try setting vid memory to manual 256MB and Robust Graphics Booster to disabled.

set as suggested

Stick a fan on the MCP (i.e. northbridge) heatsink.

Doesn't have to be attached, just something to get some decent airflow on it.

will do so, there is a temperature sensor in my case putting on the heatsink

I had to do that with the board on the bench and using a tower cooler.

Graphics issues and general instability would occur otherwise, that heatsink gets hot enough to almost burn your hand.

You can also knudge the chipset and fsb by 0.1v, and again put a fan on the MCP heatsink.

Could also try 667 speed.

will try and report back

----------

I have 8Gig installed now and haven't noticed any issues.

No issues with openmark and no issues with regular use.

Rather than claim it works, what other tests do you guys want?

Thanks for Signal64's guide. I have done some more testing for the RAM issue. Memtest86+ passed without error. Installed Windows Vista 64 bit running games with no problem at all (the northbridge heatsink runs up to 64 degree C). Normal use (playing chess, iPhoto etc) of Leopard 10.5.6 with no problem.

When I use Pacifist to install Leopard in another HD, the screen melts and system freeze. The northbridge temperature is 58 degree C. It seems it is not the problem of hardware. I didn't try large file extraction as chrilled did.

I will swap another pair of 4G memory to try it tomorrow.

Any other suggestions to discover the source causing the issue?