Gigabyte's Nvidia 9400 powered M-ATX MOBO

stellarola

643 posts in this topic

Another success! This time with the EVGA 113-YW-E115-TR motherboard. Installation method was:

- OSXInstall.pkg using Pacifist with the MBP ALU restore disk

- Installed 10.5.6 update using Pacifist

- Used Universal OSx86 Installer to install Chameleon, EFI String

- Created custom EFI String for graphics (nVidia GeForce 9300, 512MB)

I have full graphics, QE, Gigabit Ethernet, Firewire (add-on PCI card), Quad-Core properly recognized, etc. The only thing not working yet is audio. Any thoughts on how to get that working are greatly appreciated. :)

Not bad for my first Hackint0sh! Thanks to everyone who posted methods, tips, trials and tribulations!

- Stealth Dave

mrosxn00b,

Thanks, I will give it a try. I have been following along closely and dread that I might have to take out one of my mem stics. I have 4 gigs 2 x 2 in the first and second slots.

You had any luck on sound and ethernet?

Thanks for sharing your info.

For sound purpose check that out: http//www.insanelymac.com/lofiversion/index.php/t69627.html

It might help.

Bob

Just got my GA-E7AUM-DS2H today. Failed to boot my old OS 10.5.4 (clone) used on Thankpad X61S before. Shall try more on it tomorrow. I wonder if I can succeed as I don't have unibody store disc, yet there is 10.5.6 update now. Any helpful information is appriciated.

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately, I have still had no luck.

Just got my GA-E7AUM-DS2H today. Failed to boot my old OS 10.5.4 (clone) used on Thankpad X61S before. Shall try more on it tomorrow. I wonder if I can succeed as I don't have unibody store disc, yet there is 10.5.6 update now. Any helpful information is appriciated.

Can you try a vanilla install using osinstall.mpkg onto an external disk from another machine?

If so try the following:

-Install leo to an external drive

-apply the 10.5.6 update (combo if you don't have an existing 10.5.5 disc or install)

-install pc-efi v9

-copy mrosxn00b's DSDT.aml (download from an earlier post) to root

-download Kext Helper b7 and put that into the application folder of your new install

-download diabolik's NVkush installer and put it into the users folder of your new install

-download grub-dfe.iso and take the kexts from the initrd.img and copy them into the user folder of your new install

-modify the com.apple.boot.plist of your new install to include <key>Timeout/<key><string>8</string>

-take this hard drive and drop it into your new gigabyte box.

-boot to safe mode (-x)

-when (if) she boots up, use kexthelper to install the four kexts you put into your users folder

-then install NVKush

-restart verbose

If the update to 10.5.6 makes the install non-dependent on the build you will now be where I am at: A really fast machine with a slow ethernet connection, no audio and system freezes when I try to copy large amounts of data from my USB drive to my onboard SATA drive. Of course, if you have to have the MBP 10.5.5 version, then none of this will apply.

I am happy to report however, that I have no graphics corruptions anymore, at least not as long as I've been on this install. So that's a small victory.

Strange. Left the machine on and went away for a couple of hours and when I came back it had turned itself off. I fired it back up and suddenly had two channel sound. Not the multichannel I need, but another step in the right direction. Now to find out why it turned itself off.

Strange. Left the machine on and went away for a couple of hours and when I came back it had turned itself off. I fired it back up and suddenly had two channel sound. Not the multichannel I need, but another step in the right direction. Now to find out why it turned itself off.

Try running my memtest app. Let me know if your computer crashes out or not.

I still have not started my install yet! I'm almost ashamed of myself. :)

I just wonder if my approach might be OK.. I have Vista 64 on my 750gig drive on one big ntfs partition. I'm going to try to shrink that and make room for a 50 gig partition for my osx install. I wonder if the easiest modus operandum is to first partition it and then put that drive in my usb converter and plug it in my brothers new mbp with 10.5.5, format it to guid and do a restore to that partition (the external drive -not my brothers new computer ;) ? I know there are a few more steps but I guess that I will return with more questions once I've bought the sata-usb converter and started the "passage".

Ps. check this little dream out:

A teser: "An ATX motherboard (left) vs. a Pico ITX Ion board (right)"

http://anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3478

:)

.. sorry for the off-topic, but I couldn't resist to post the link.

I have an account with a tier 1 OEM provider of Gigabyte. This means that they are one of the few companies that distribute for Gigabyte. I have spoken with them and they can provide the GA-E7AUM-DS2H to me at OEM pricing. I am very excited about this board and the possibilities for OsX86. I have extracted the kext files from the macbook update and plan on building a boot132 disc to do an install using the vanilla kernel and the EFI partition method of Munky's. Is anyone interested in purchasing one of these boards with me? I can provide them this time at cost plus shipping. I will have the price the first of next week. Send me a message if you have any questions.

rdbrown

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately, I have still had no luck.

Can you try a vanilla install using osinstall.mpkg onto an external disk from another machine?

If so try the following:

-Install leo to an external drive

-apply the 10.5.6 update (combo if you don't have an existing 10.5.5 disc or install)

-install pc-efi v9

-copy mrosxn00b's DSDT.aml (download from an earlier post) to root

-download Kext Helper b7 and put that into the application folder of your new install

-download diabolik's NVkush installer and put it into the users folder of your new install

-download grub-dfe.iso and take the kexts from the initrd.img and copy them into the user folder of your new install

-modify the com.apple.boot.plist of your new install to include <key>Timeout/<key><string>8</string>

-take this hard drive and drop it into your new gigabyte box.

-boot to safe mode (-x)

-when (if) she boots up, use kexthelper to install the four kexts you put into your users folder

-then install NVKush

-restart verbose

If the update to 10.5.6 makes the install non-dependent on the build you will now be where I am at: A really fast machine with a slow ethernet connection, no audio and system freezes when I try to copy large amounts of data from my USB drive to my onboard SATA drive. Of course, if you have to have the MBP 10.5.5 version, then none of this will apply.

I am happy to report however, that I have no graphics corruptions anymore, at least not as long as I've been on this install. So that's a small victory.

Thanks for you help! I use usb ext drive to install from my macbook. I didn't manage to boot into safe mode on GA board following your previous steps. I think I may need a unibody restore disk to retry. I encountered several errors, one of which is "Syncing disks. Killing all processes." Perhaps I need to plug the HD directly to sata. Will try it later.

'fraid not.

Remove one of your 2gig sticks and see if it runs memtest ok like that.

Not brilliant, but it's definitely very stable for me like this. I've not got the time to investigate a fix at present...

Thanks for all of your input and advice thus far, regardless. Besides, it may not be an issue with this being a hackintosh. Check this out.

Also, have a look in this thread http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=127611. I am going to test this today and I will report back.

edit: didn't work. memtest still snowed the system.

A couple of questions about the graphics on this board. If I were to get this this would replace my P5K-VM, I would want to run the 9400 to power a third monitor, but use my 9800GTX+ to drive my main displays. Has anyone tired this yet?

Also I see a lot of you are running injectors, do you have to? Can you just add a EFI string?

One last question, has anyone tried the Hybrid SLI feature of this board yet in windows? Does it work well?

A couple of questions about the graphics on this board. If I were to get this this would replace my P5K-VM, I would want to run the 9400 to power a third monitor, but use my 9800GTX+ to drive my main displays. Has anyone tired this yet?

Also I see a lot of you are running injectors, do you have to? Can you just add a EFI string?

One last question, has anyone tried the Hybrid SLI feature of this board yet in windows? Does it work well?

question 1. yes can run third monitor on the 9400.

question 2. efi strings suck, not always initing proper.

question 3. why the hell would we want to use windows?

-D-

Some more tests. (edited)

It is so promising, but the great challenge is to get it to output sound and video over hdmi. We have long known that the audio over hdmi is a no-go for now, but video is a different story. It works over HDMI, but suffers from the same EDID problems that the mini has (although I can only test it on my Marantz receiver to my philips TV - other setups would be welcome info).

As for Audio over HDMI. I was able to get AudioMIDI to recognize the outputs, but when pluging it in, I get no actual audio. Fortunately, audio over spdif works so right now, when coupled with an irda solution, we are on par with what the mini can do.

Otherwise we have to keep working out some of the other more obnoxious bugs of memory overwrites, occasional graphics corruptions and the lack of info in the sys profiler. Will keep at it.

Ok I got it booting. Turned out that the DSDT_Patcher only remove CPU Alias lines for CPU 1,3, and left 2,4 there... Manually edited, compiled and now it boots.

But I have no sound. And video doesn't support QE. What should I do from this point?

Ah! I just got it booting all the way in to osx. Still some more to do but I just wanted to thank everyone in this thread for their contributions (and HighJinx on irc)! My HTPC now boots 10.5.5. A minor setback is that vista won't boot at all, but that's not a big issue. I guess that audio and touch screen will be bigger obstacles. ;)

Thank you all!

I need Windows for some things, but with the price of the RAM this board accepts it's too cheap not to spring for 8GB. In which case you can quit everything in Leopard and load Vista/XP in Parallels with maximum RAM (For XP at least) and they will run at pretty much the exact same speed as when booting into Vista/XP. Processor load for Leopard is only going to be ~10% on a quad-core with no apps running. I was considering going for a second partition but the way Parallels is running I think it would be a waste to bother with it.

I've had some questions on my version 1 AML I provided for the E7AUM-DS2H Gigabyte. You can decompile it just like you do the dump from linux to check it out.

iasl -d DSDT.aml

Notes on DSDT modifications for Gigabyte E7AUM-DS2H

Basic Changes

1. _PR CPU section needs no modification

2. HPET needs no modification

3. RTC modified - removed IRQNoFlags 

Name (_HID, EisaId ("PNP0B00"))
						 Name (ATT0, ResourceTemplate ()
						 {
							 IO (Decode16,
								 0x0070,			 // Range Minimum
								 0x0070,			 // Range Maximum
								 0x00,			   // Alignment
								 0x04,			   // Length
								 )
							 IRQNoFlags ()   <-- Remove
								 {8}			 <-- Remove
						 })

4. Find and Replace _Y with Y

5. Compile with Microsoft ASL 3.0 

Note: you get a nasty error message with iasl about the NVH7 object and it won't compile. Rather than force it and since the original Gigabyte version was compiled with ASL, I went with that.  

At this point aml is enough to boot

Further Changes:

These are mainly cosmetic to match the device names in IORegistry with what is on the macbook, but note the dev id change info for a couple of kexts.

6. LPC

a. Search and Replace LEG0 with LPCB

b. Will need to add dev id to AppleLPC.kext
			 <string>pci10de,aac</string>

7. SMB

a. Search and Replace SMB0 with SBUS

8. Audio 

a. Search and replace AZAD with HDEF

9. Ethernet

a. Search and replace MMAC with GIGE

10. SATA

a. Search and replace SAT1 with SATA
		 b. Will need to add dev id to AppleAHCIPort.kext - MCP79AHCI - IOPrimaryPCIMatch
			 <string>0x0ab810de</string>

11. USB

a. Search and Replace USB0 with OHC1
		 b. Search and Replace USB2 with EHC1
		 c. Search and Replace USB1 with OHC2
		 d. Search and Replace USBB with EHC2

12. P4MI, TRIM, NVPM

a. Add the following section (above OCH1 is ok)

Device (P4MI)
				 {
					 Name (_ADR, 0x00030003)
				 }

Device (TRIM)
				 {
					 Name (_ADR, 0x00030004)
				 }

Device (NVPM)
				 {
					 Name (_ADR, 0x00030005)
				 }

13. MCHC

a. Search and Replace UCPU with MCHC

14. TIMR

a. Search and Replace TMR with TIMR

15. DMAC

a. Search and Replace DMA1 with DMAC

16. IPIC

a. Search and Replace (PIC) with (IPIC)

17. MATH

a. Search and Replace COPR with MATH

That's it.

Again, it's already in the aml I posted.

I had hoped to get audio in there long ago by now but having a hell of a time getting fully functioning audio working. Have been going through the hda patching / legacyhda threads along with the related links and docs (numerous times now) as the kexts that have worked for ALC888 and ALC889/885 boards in the past do not work right. Will keep working on that today.

With Socrates help I burned a modified macbook restore disk to try on the giga (needs model check removed), but the RTC fix is needed and will require a BIOS change or a munky method to boot off of boot-132 to use them. ASUS needs the CPU and RTC fix.

Finally I made it done. Thanks for the help from all, especially netcastle, mrosxn00b, diabolik.

- OSXInstall.pkg using Pacifist with the retail leopard disk

- Installed 10.5.6 update using Pacifist

- PC-EFI v9

- Copy mrosxn00b's DSDT.aml (download from an earlier post) to root

- add in kexts : a decryptor, smbios enabler, cpupm disabler

- diabolik's NVkush installer using Pacifist

Issues:

1. no sound, will work on it later

2. CPU info is not correct. I used mrosxn00b's DSDT.aml which is for Q-core, while mine is C2D E8400. I run DSDT Patcher with error. Hence I wonder if anyone can provide a C2D DSDT.

Thanks again!

DSDT error message:

./dsdt_fixed.txt 2822: Return (NVH7 ())

Error 4060 - Called method returns no value ^

2ch sound works for me with AppleAzaliaAudio.kext. If you want something quick for audio, you can try this.

In Info.plist, change Realtek codec from 0x..880 to 0x..888 (or whatever your codec is)

In Plugins/AzaliaAudioController.kext/Info.plist, change ICH6's PCI ID to 0x0ac010de (look it up on your board), change the name too to "MCP7A HD Audio" if you want. Then manually do kextload AppleAzaliaAudio.kext

2. CPU info is not correct. I used mrosxn00b's DSDT.aml which is for Q-core, while mine is C2D E8400. I run DSDT Patcher with error. Hence I wonder if anyone can provide a C2D DSDT.

Use mine, works with quad or dual.

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...6510&st=60#

DSDT error message:

./dsdt_fixed.txt 2822: Return (NVH7 ())

Error 4060 - Called method returns no value ^

Use Microsoft's ASL 3.0 to compile without error - that is unless someone else has a workaround (I couldn't find any info on NVH7).

2ch sound works for me with AppleAzaliaAudio.kext.

neocui - can you do me a favor? Open a terminal and do a tail -f /var/log/system.log and see if you get any sound errors being logged.

Thanks.