Gigabyte's Nvidia 9400 powered M-ATX MOBO

stellarola

643 posts in this topic

Boots into safe mode and ethernet connector works. When booting regularly I freeze at "localhost mDNSResponder[21]: couldn't read user-specified computer" Just before that it says something about a Sand-box err=1100

I think you might just have to wait for a good while. I think I was getting that and assuming something was wrong, but I went away for a good while and when I came back, it was playing the intro movie, then it went on to do the initial setup stuff.

I've now managed to get my shared graphics working, and stuff's being looked into for the audio. So it's all looking good!

the easy way: (with macbook/macbook pro restore disk)

1. install w/ pacifist to usb drive or seperate partition (from a differnt working install)

2. add in kexts : a decryptor, smbios enabler, gfx injector, cpupm disabler

3a. image that drive/partition with super duper or a similar cloning app.

3b. take the just made clone then image restore that to whatever your final hdd is (preferrably on a usb)

4. install chameleon with dsdt fix to the just restored hdd

5. insert a cpu fixed dsdt.aml in root.

6. attatch that hdd into your 730i mobo then fire it up

7. enjoi

This actually sounds similar to the other methods that have been tried here. Except that I didn't need to do step 3 because I was dropping the install drive directly into my new machine. That make any sense?

BOTH methods still required another macbook to get started in making the image or doing the restore disc to a drive.

Adding a smbios enabler, dsmos, pmdisabler, then chameleon + dsdt patch with a new aml and then installing the drive on these boards got it going.

If I have a unibody MBP restore disc but install to an external drive using an older MBP do you think it will still work? Does the installer need to be tricked into thinking I'm on a new MBP for this to work properly?

If I have a unibody MBP restore disc but install to an external drive using an older MBP do you think it will still work? Does the installer need to be tricked into thinking I'm on a new MBP for this to work properly?

This is what I did and it works. Here is where I am at.

• Formatted external USB GUID on my MB Air
  • Installed PC_EFI V9 onto USB
  • Installed 10.5.5 build 9F2088 with osinstall.mpkg
    • Edited com.apple.boot.plist to include <key>Timeout</key><string>8</string> (for boot delay after BIOS screen - allows you to select boot drive and options)
    • after install placed mrosxn00b's DSDT.aml (you will need to edit this if you don't have a quad core) into root directory
    • Booted USB drive on the Gigabyte board into safe mode
      • Dl'd grub-dfe.iso and mounted it. inside of this image is another image called initrd.img. Mounted that and copied the following kexts to my desktop: dsmos.kext; IntelCPUPMDisabler.kext; NVkush.kext; SMBIOSENABLER.kext. Installed these using kexthelper v7.
      • restarted and booted normally

So now I don't have CI/QE enabled. Anyone else been here. I know this is the right Leopard build, but it doesn't seem like the graphics see it that way. Should I not have installed NVkush.kext?

dia3olik:

The purpose of DSDT.aml files is to avoid needing to mod your BIOS, the two methods are, I think, interchangeable. Obviously DSDT.aml is by far the safer alternative (my unbootable ASROCK mobo is living (well, actually dead) proof of this).

netcastle:

I used NVkush and have got my integrated gfx working, however, I was incorrect earlier when I said that it was working right; I get gfx corruption after too much use as the CPU starts overwriting gfx ram. I tried setting maxmem=$VARIOUS_VALUES in the boot options, which *seems* to work ok if I don't go above 512MB (but that's clearly not ideal.) I suspect that we might need to get NVSMU.kext working, based purely on the assumption that SM stands for Shared Memory. Perhaps more changes to the DSDT stuff will allow this to operate properly.

Sigal64 and mrosxn00b has the gigabyte working fine and I have the asus p5n-7a-vm working fine.

-D-

little tease of what the 9300 on oc can do: (this is on the Asus P5N7A-VM)

OpenMark_result.png

Not quite fine; if I don't use maxmem=512 then I eventually get a corrupted screen followed shortly by a crash... A good test case for this is using Disk Utility to restore a partition from another one... I will re-try with Signal64's DSDT.aml to see it that works better than mine.

netcastle:

Yeah, I extracted the 1.2 update with pacifist and copied all the stuff over. In fact, the install dvd I used had a System Verson of 9F2088, and installing this got me 9F2114. Out of interest, what System Version did your install dvd yield? (this question is to anyone doing this stuff from a dvd/dvd image)

Just a quick update on the ethernet issue and resume from standby with the E7AUM-DS2H.

Currently if you resume from S3 (sleep) the nforce ethernet device appears to be ok, but you loose connectivity.

This appears to be a problem with the chip responsible for the physical connection (Realtek 8211CL) and how it's shutdown at sleep and not powered up at resume.

Remember that nforce boards usually use a "dumbed down" chip to make the physical connection to the network and the "smarts" are in the nvidia nforce chipset itself.

I usually have to do a full power off (remove power from the board) and do a cold boot to get the ethernet back.

Turns out that I get the same thing in Linux (Ubuntu 8.10) and WinXP SP2 with the latest nvidia drivers, so this isn't an OS X incompatibility.

I also don't see this issue on the ASUS P5N7A-VM.

I opened a ticket with Gigabyte on this along with it being a WOL issue (Wake on Lan won't work with this bug).

They responded that they are looking into it.

So hopefully this issue might get a fix.

We shall see.

Great stuff Signal. Thanks for keeping us informed. :)

-Stell

Just a quick update on the ethernet issue and resume from standby with the E7AUM-DS2H.

Currently if you resume from S3 (sleep) the nforce ethernet device appears to be ok, but you loose connectivity.

This appears to be a problem with the chip responsible for the physical connection (Realtek 8211CL) and how it's shutdown at sleep and not powered up at resume.

Remember that nforce boards usually use a "dumbed down" chip to make the physical connection to the network and the "smarts" are in the nvidia nforce chipset itself.

I usually have to do a full power off (remove power from the board) and do a cold boot to get the ethernet back.

Turns out that I get the same thing in Linux (Ubuntu 8.10) and WinXP SP2 with the latest nvidia drivers, so this isn't an OS X incompatibility.

I also don't see this issue on the ASUS P5N7A-VM.

I opened a ticket with Gigabyte on this along with it being a WOL issue (Wake on Lan won't work with this bug).

They responded that they are looking into it.

So hopefully this issue might get a fix.

We shall see.

I took the unibody MBP disc, redid the OSXinstall.mpkg and installed onto an external disc connected to my older MBP. Then I ran Chameleon on the install, added the DSDT.aml, and added all of the kexts from the "boot 132 with modified kexts" image using OSX86tools. Set the BIOS to AHCI and everything booted well. I still don't have restart or audio working yet though. What should I try to get audio going?

I took the unibody MBP disc, redid the OSXinstall.mpkg and installed onto an external disc connected to my older MBP. Then I ran Chameleon on the install, added the DSDT.aml, and added all of the kexts from the "boot 132 with modified kexts" image using OSX86tools. Set the BIOS to AHCI and everything booted well. I still don't have restart or audio working yet though. What should I try to get audio going?

For the restart problem have you tried to use the psystar kext OpenHaltRestart.kext?

HDMI video does work.

I had to use a HDMI to DVI adapter to test as I have no HD TV (yet) to test with.

Side note: One of the screws for the DVI connection is right next to the hdmi and had to shave off a bit of adapter housing in order for it to seat correctly. Using a regular hdmi cable should be fine.

It looks like this board (all 730i boards?) can not do dual display DVI and HDMI, it's one or the other + vga.

Reference the block diagram on page 8 of the manual.

I'm still trying out the DVI/HDMI + vga configuration.

Good news is I'm just about finished with onboard sound :D

Will post that and new dsdt hopefully later today.

And yes, use the OpenHaltRestart.kext to fix the shutdown/reboot.

How are we doing?

Would it be safe to say this is quite a complicated board to get up and running?

I have the board, unibody DVD, slimbuild 132, lots of patience but no skills whatsoever :-) cannot figure out how to make a boot disk. Is it possible for someone to make a 132-iso for this board and make it available? The great thing about this board would be that since it's an all inclusive solution, even the graphics are there, I guess most people would not add a separate card to this setup and therefore would be using the same hardware up to almost 100%...

How are we doing?

Would it be safe to say this is quite a complicated board to get up and running?

I have the board, unibody DVD, slimbuild 132, lots of patience but no skills whatsoever :-) cannot figure out how to make a boot disk. Is it possible for someone to make a 132-iso for this board and make it available? The great thing about this board would be that since it's an all inclusive solution, even the graphics are there, I guess most people would not add a separate card to this setup and therefore would be using the same hardware up to almost 100%...

You can bootstrap the process with the latest iDeneb with the nforce patch applied, and a second drive or partition for the new install. From there on in, it's fairly straightforward.

You can bootstrap the process with the latest iDeneb with the nforce patch applied, and a second drive or partition for the new install. From there on in, it's fairly straightforward.

Not quite sure how to do this. I'm not really that hack literate (bootstrap?). But are you saying that the install when using this method works?

I have not been entirely successful, but I think that has a lot to do with the fact that when moving hardware around, I sheared off two caps from my mobo. I considered the RMA route, but just bit the bullet and soldered new caps on. I'm kind of jumping back in now that it works again and wonder if you have a stable install, and if so, did you use the above method as opposed to what you were trying several posts ago.

I also assume everyone is pretty wrapped up in the .6 update, but I want to keep this thread healthy if possible.

By bootstrap, I just mean getting my system into a position where I can install OSInstall.mpkg, which involved for me, just installing iDeneb v1.3, then from within that working install, opening OSInstall.mpkg and installing to a new partition (best if you install to a GPT partition too, as otherwise you have to hand edit something in the dmg image to allow MBR installs, there is a thread about what to edit, if you google it.). An alternative might be using OSXTOOL and InstallRetail mode after installing iDeneb; see http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...aded&start=

Managed to get everything installed and running with 10.5.6. NVkush gave me full QE/CI. Still no audio and ethernet only connects at 100MBS on my gigabit network. Also, cloning my install to an onboard drive freezes the system. Anyone with any ideas or different experiences?