Gigabyte's Nvidia 9400 powered M-ATX MOBO

stellarola

643 posts in this topic

a few weeks ago i was buying a MBP 13", so i have a 10.5.7 restore dvd.

i think about to buy this board, but after reading this thread aim not shure if this will ever get to work properly.

did anyone tryed this actuall dvd for install?

Several have used the restore DVD successfully with the caveat that no more than 2GB of ram can be used. Dig around in this thread and you'll find detailed instructions. It seems that the only other problem that hasn't been solved is audio on resume from sleep. This can addressed by using USB audio, at least until someone takes the time to futz with the DSDT/SSDT and see if they can fix both the memory and audio resume problem. Don't hold your breath though.

However, as others have noted, the ASUS board apparently works 100% with the restore disk.

DISCLAIMER: I do not advocate using the restore disk for any other than its intended use.

• 2 weeks later...

I anticipate I am absolutely affection this board. I ashore a Q8200 CPU with a banal fan in it, 4 GB of bargain GSKILL memory, a 1 TB western agenda SATA harder drive and LG SATA DVD burner. Relatively bargain apparatus that played nice with IPC from the actual aboriginal boot. Actual actual nice.

Business process automation

Heads UP every one, 10.5.8 released. I've not tested the update, but it seems that there are not problems installing. If some one updated his e7aum, please report on the > 2gb issue.

-x

I installed 10.5.8 combo without a hitch. Details are over on first post of the Leopard retail guide HERE. No big surprises other than I didn't have to re-install AppleHDA after the upgrade. I haven't tried >2GB of RAM but am not expecting a fix since it appears to be a DSDT/SSDT issue.

Has anyone played around with the DFI version of this board? The JR-GF9400-T2RS? I have it running ok with 10.5.6 using iPC, but I cant seem to get it to update properly and run stable. Any ideas would be great, on paper this should be like the geforce MBs

I installed 10.5.8 combo without a hitch. Details are over on first post of the Leopard retail guide HERE. No big surprises other than I didn't have to re-install AppleHDA after the upgrade. I haven't tried >2GB of RAM but am not expecting a fix since it appears to be a DSDT/SSDT issue.

Do you know who is working on this DSDT/SSDT issue? Camillion 2 Beta just released, and its time to get are hands dirty!

-x

Do you know who is working on this DSDT/SSDT issue? Camillion 2 Beta just released, and its time to get are hands dirty!

-x

I don't think anybody is. It's a lot of thankless work for a relatively small number of users. Plus, SL is around the corner and that may mean some good things for this board.

I don't think anybody is. It's a lot of thankless work for a relatively small number of users. Plus, SL is around the corner and that may mean some good things for this board.

I agree that nobody is working on it. I'm not sure I agree that SL will have any good news re: the >2GB limitation since it is supposedly a memory mapping issue in the SSDT. I'm thinking that SL may fix the nForceLan issue and restart issue since I've heard they're kernel related and perhaps OrangeHDIcon issue, but I bet that is the best we can hope for.

I would dearly love to get the DSDT/SSDT issues fixed since it seems so close. I suspect the Audio on resume from sleep issue is DSDT related. Frankly if the audio fix was the only thing we ever got, I'd be OK since I don't mind the nForceLan and OpenHaltRestart kexts. Personally the >2GB issue is the last on my list since my machine does everything I want it to with 2GB. Combine that with my terrific $15 USB audio adapter that DOES resume from sleep and my motivation levels are a bit low.

That said I'd love to learn more about DSDT/SSDT and welcome any pointers to details.

• 3 weeks later...
For those who want a modified BIOS :

It does NOT fix the 2GB+ RAM problem but it is patched for HPET, RTC and HDAEnabler (from Signal64) and I added 9400 GFX support (NVKush not needed anymore).

I tested it and it works.

I might try to understand 4GB problem.

The original BIOS-File is 1 MByte - yours is 500 KByte - so icant Flash it with Qflash because the file is not found on the stick....

What is wrong?

The original BIOS-File is 1 MByte - yours is 500 KByte - so icant Flash it with Qflash because the file is not found on the stick....

What is wrong?

This was asked over on the retail install topic. The answer is that unzipping the file yields different results on Vister. I used stuffit on a MAC and it works fine.

• 2 weeks later...

As I mentioned over on the retail install topic(linked in my signature). I've opened a ticket the Gigabyte on the >2GB of ram issue, they asked me to check the DRAM voltage which I did, I upped it to 2.0 according to Corsair spec and it had no effect, and of course I didn't expect it would. I've reported back to Gigabyte and pointed them to the memory test that shows the problem. Who knows, maybe they'll fix it.

I also updated the first post with info on my efforts to make a Boot123 iso and instructions for a retail Snow Leopard install. I've made some progress though I'm not there yet.

Alright, I'm confused. I installed iPC 10.5.6 PPF5 on this motherboard and it is showing 8GB or RAM both pre and post install. Why am I seeing more than 2GB of RAM? BTW- I am using the on board video.

As I mentioned over on the retail install topic(linked in my signature). I've opened a ticket the Gigabyte on the >2GB of ram issue, they asked me to check the DRAM voltage which I did, I upped it to 2.0 according to Corsair spec and it had no effect, and of course I didn't expect it would. I've reported back to Gigabyte and pointed them to the memory test that shows the problem. Who knows, maybe they'll fix it.

I also updated the first post with info on my efforts to make a Boot123 iso and instructions for a retail Snow Leopard install. I've made some progress though I'm not there yet.

Alright, I'm confused. I installed iPC 10.5.6 PPF5 on this motherboard and it is showing 8GB or RAM both pre and post install. Why am I seeing more than 2GB of RAM? BTW- I am using the on board video.

The issue isn't with the system seeing the ram or even appearing to work. It is with the system really working once you start to address greater than 2GB. There is a memtest at post 99. Get it and run it and you'll see (be sure to be ready for a hard restart).

New BIOS from Gigabyte!

My ticket at Gigabyte has paid off (I think). They've sent me a new BIOS they say should fix the 2GB limitation. Unfortunately it doesn't have Koalala's DSDT patch so make sure you know what you're doing before you try it.

Anyone who wants to figure out how to extract and patch back Koalala's DSDT (hopefully with the SL RTC cmos reset fix) could save me some trouble.

You can find it over on the retail install thread HERE

Any luck so far running Snow Leopard on this board?

I'm considering buying one of these... but they are quite expensive, too expensive to buy first and ask questions later :thumbsup_anim:

SL works on this board with the oft-mentioned 2GB limitation, if you can't live with that, at least for now, look elsewhere. Genzai and I are still working on a bios/dsdt.aml that works with both Leopard and SL, not sure it is doable. Keep an eye on this thread. If you're impatient and want to futz with a USB stick search the install->Snow Leopard part of the forum and you should be able to piece it together.

SL works on this board with the oft-mentioned 2GB limitation, if you can't live with that, at least for now, look elsewhere. Genzai and I are still working on a bios/dsdt.aml that works with both Leopard and SL, not sure it is doable. Keep an eye on this thread. If you're impatient and want to futz with a USB stick search the install->Snow Leopard part of the forum and you should be able to piece it together.

Thanks for your reply :rolleyes:

I will keep an eye on this thread. Unfortunately, the 2GB barrier is a major deal breaker for me, I have 8GB.