MSI MegaBook GX700 owners experieces

alyosa2001

132 posts in this topic

Hi

Can someone please write a tut how to install snow leopard on gx700 ? or at least 10.5.7 ...

thanks

Hey there. I used iATKOS 10.5.7 installation. Booted using cpus=1 and installed. After instalation it booted fine but keyboard and mouse did not work. I used ApplePS2kexts_10.5.6.ready.zip drivers from http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...1573&st=180 . I also switched out my wireless card for a Realtek (will be getting a dell because I don't like the realtek Client utility). My sound worked fine (but i had to go and change from headphones to speakers, must default to headphones). Video works perfect. I have no sleep though, so I am trying to fix that right now. Will let you know when I get it. Shutdown/restart both work.

<h3 class="r">

</h3>

EDIT**

I have tried everything and I can not get sleep to work. If anyone has any ideas on how to get sleep to work in 10.5.7 I would love to give it a try.

iDeneb 1.4 Leopard 10.5.6 PERFECT INSTALLATION on Laptop MSI GX700 !

1. Run the installation DVD and check next boxes in the Customize wizard:

- The " iDeneb Essential System" box is checked by default ( leave it as it is ).

- Audio -->ALC-->ALC888 ( this injector will give you hedphones, line input, digital out etc...

without to use any patches )

- Chipset --> ICHx Fixed

- Fix --> Battery Manager ( works properly in this release )

Do not check Cpus=1 ( you will need one or two times to boot manually with flag cpus=1 - I'll

explain later ...)

-Video -->Nvidea-->Nvinject-->Nvinject 0.2.1 512Mb

- Applications --> Kext Helper

> OSx86Tools etc...

Note: Do not select any Kernel in the Kernel box. This way the new Apple default Vanilla 9.6 will

be installed ! Otherwise you will have USB plug and play troubles lately cause the Kernel and the

System.kext versions will not match !

2. After the Installation your machine will try to boot and will freeze on the Apple logo. That's why

since the AppleACPIPlatform.kext and the AppleAPIC.kext are not fixed in this iDeneb release, so we need to get the last ones from iDeneb 1.3.

Get them here - fixed_acpi_kexts.zip.

Now you need to boot into Windows XP ( or what else dual boot ) and use some app like

MacDrive 7 and above, to be able to replace the kext files.

- browse with MacDrive your OS X main OS install (HFS) partition, i.e system/library/extensions.

Select both folders labeled as AppleACPIPlatform.kext and AppleAPIC.kext and delete them. Copy the fixed kext files from the iDeneb 1.3 and paste them in the same dir, where you have deleted the original kext folders. You may over right the original ones as well....

3. Boot the OS X ( do not forget to hit F8 during bootloader and type cpus=1 ).

There will be no sound during the "Welcome" logo yet, - we will fix that with "Repair Permissions" lately. After you fill all account settings iDeneb will appear with an error message "System extension cannot be used". To fix that go to OS X main dir - System/Library/Extensions and trash/delete both kext files ( AppleACPIPlatform.kext and AppleAPIC.kext ) we replaced in XP in step 2. Go to Applications ->iDeneb App and open Kext Helper tool. Drag the iDeneb 1.3 fixed kext files, type your password and hit "Easy Install". This will install the Kext files properly and will fix the error. Do not reboot yet !

4. To enable both cores you need to place both files packed in this cpu2_files.zip to your main OS dir ( you can delete the "boot" file there or over right when prompt ).

5. Repair the permissions with the "Disk Utility" tool and reboot. Done !

6. After reboot, go to your AMS ( Audio Midi Settup ) and swich the audio output from Headphones to Speakers ( it will not auto switch any more ).

About INTEL SPEEDSTEP

It can be enabled during the installation no problems. For my first installation I used "Voodoo

kernel 9.5 " so I did some test using it. Lately I found out that the USB plug&play does not work

cause the issue I metioned in step 1 - ( see the Note ). So the test is based on Voodoo kernel.

Well, I do not trust any CPU diagnostic utilities ( use them to see the hardware setup only ). So I

prefer to test the CPU using some heavy Audio or Video project with pro apps to see their

behavior with "Speedstep" enable/disable system Bios setting.

So, I used Logic Pro 8.02 for the test. I made a heavy test project using more than 20 software

instrument based on samples, FM synth, and inserted tons of FX plugins in the software

instrument channel strips. I saved this project and played it two times ( with one reboot to

enable/disable the Intel Sppedstep in the Bios ).

- First Entry ( Speedstep is NOT enabled ). The Logic CPU meters ( which are much more accurate than the system meters ) showed about 50% CPU usage for each core.

- Second Entry ( Speedstep is ENABLED ). The Logic CPU meters showed 25% for each core.

This means that iDeneb 1.4 handles very well with that, so the Speedstep does what it must do,

giving almost 50% CPU optimization. I'll do the same test with Vanilla 9.6 ( my Logic is still installing yet ) and report again.

CONCLUSION

IDeneb 1.4 is the most rock solid osx86 I'v ever tried ! The Video driver from the install DVD just

runs perfectly with QE etc.. support enabled ( no tools are needed ). The OS runs absolutely fast.

Fast boot and reboot. ( Note you will reboot a bit little slow till you set everything as described ).

And it needs two or three normal boot, some running, and reboot to cash fully the OS.

No SLEEP preblems at all. After the system sleep, you just switch on the power button and it's o.k !

Thank you SO much! This worked perfectly for me on my zt systems(gx700). The only thing that is weird is that it wont sleep. The screen and hard drive turn off for a second before they quickly return. Also, does someone know how or where i could install batterymanagement from after the fact? Is it possible to copy a kext for it off of my ideneb dvd onto my hard drive while im in win7?

Btw, this works perfectly for dualbooting. Thanks again

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys.

Also still using 10.5.6. Now winter is comming and I'll get more time for my computer....

Did anyone installed SnowLeo????

What about Chameleon 2 RC3?

Greetz from northern germany

Thank you SO much! This worked perfectly for me on my zt systems(gx700). The only thing that is weird is that it wont sleep. The screen and hard drive turn off for a second before they quickly return. Also, does someone know how or where i could install batterymanagement from after the fact? Is it possible to copy a kext for it off of my ideneb dvd onto my hard drive while im in win7?

Btw, this works perfectly for dualbooting. Thanks again

It is possible to copy kexts in OSX: use "Pacifist" to open the DVD content and then OSX86tools to copy them.

For your sleep-probs: Installed Voodoo 9.6? What about your Speedstep and AHCI settings? Shutdown without holding down the button?

There is also an additional KEXT i am using: VoodooPower.kext.zip

Don't forget to backup...

Peace

Not sure if the GX620 is exactly the same but the installation works pretty well using IATKOS 7.

I installed as already mentioned with ICH fix and Cardreader fixes and first boot with cpus=1. Patch dsdt with gui patcher and then patched via "The King"'s method so that hdaenabler not required (ie HDEF in dsdt). I modified the AppleHDA so that internal mic works and autodetect for headphones/speakers and linein/mic work - still get 4 sound assertion errors and occassional KP on boot thou - but survives sleep no problem (ClamshellDisplay.kext works a treat).

All sorts of problems with KP and sleep issues until i replaced wifi with airport card (I initially tried a ralink card I had hanging around).

You can test sleep (and auto sleep) is not a kernel problem with boot -x option to avoid loading extra kexts, it should work.

Deep sleep/hibernate works with Netkas PCEFI V9 (chameleon v2 doesn't - 4GB ram problem).

HDMI works but VGA doesn't. Speedstep works. Some soft keys are recognised (rewind, play and fastforward).

I cannot get the computer to sleep if webcam is on (easy to avoid).

I think a bit more dsdt patching for usb/pci devices and better throttling may be helpful.

I was hoping to get Leopard working 100% before moving on to SL unless it really is that much better - what do people think?

Cheers

Steve

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Thats 4 anyone that still have doubt how install Leopard in MSI GX700

iATKOS v7

boot with cpus=1 -v

Check:

ACPI APIC ( most important )

Apple PS2

SMBIOS Macbook Air works fine here.

And all the rest that you know that you gotta check. If you dont know, look at the start of this post.

Update to 10.5.8 using OSX86 Tools to backup your Extension folder, then install iDeneb 10.58 update and them before restart restore your extension folder with OSX86 Tools.

You may have problems with USB.

Now lets work to install Snow Leopard

• 3 months later...

^^^Well, thats what am trying to say, but the topic was so dead that just forgot it and stayed using 10.5.8. Who cares?

I'd be happy if you guys test the new methods, distros and whatever people says that works. Keep in touch in this topic :(

What about the ACPI-APIC problem ?
What do you mean?

The only one that doesn't work in non-safe boot (normal) - input devices: mouse, keyboard. Mouse pointer is moving, but while pushing the buttons there is no action. Even sound workds fine.

^^^Perfect , i'll have my shoot and give you guys the feedback.

The GX700 have a problem with the ACPI-APCI using some distros of Tiger and most of the Leopard ones, but thats history, lets put the Snow on the road.

Now, I have fully working Snow Leo 10.6 on my gx700, in normal mode.

+ Input devices, graphic card, bluetooth, firewire, sound, both cores of Core2Duo T7500 - everything works fine.

- But I can't do any screenshot, I can't even watch images and videos from my computer - it shows empty screen, that's a pity. Also it shows only 1.3 GHz of CPU in use.

The only working distro is [LINK REMOVED]

(Snow_Leopard_10.6.1-10.6.2_SSE2_SSE3_Intel_AMD_by_Hazard)

Install it as usually (you may need to use flags -v, -x, and of course cpus=1). In "Customize" choose only Chameleon RC3 PCEFI 10.5, NVInject.

You need to have other OS (for example, Win7 with MacDrive 8) to access and modify Mac OS's files.

Before starting you should disable some kexts:

- AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext

- IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext

- may be some others (I'll try to remember what i've done these days).

(simply add "-vanilla" at the end of it).

You should delete the "Extensions.mkext" from /Volumes/your_part/Extra. Then backup your "Extensions.mkext" from /Volumes/your_part/System/Library/Cache/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/" and remove it from this folder.

And you should disable "AHCI" mode in BIOS!!!

Sorry for my explanation, it's the second time I'm installing Mac OS, first time I've used it for a few days :P

Maybe I've forgotten smth - I'll try to remember it. Try and say if you successed.

been while since I last posted, i have a quick question..

im not sure when exactly but somehow during the day my trackpad and keyboard just stopped working...

I checked my applehidkeyboard and mouse which seem intact and then i tried one of the ps2 drivers which did nothing...

Some recent changes are that i just updated to 4 gb of ram.. and i just got a wacom intuos4 tablet and the drivers for that. but everything was working for atleast 2 days.

anyone got any thoughts?

ps running 10.5.8 ideneb

*******FIXED********

I just found the 3 ps2 files on my comp in extensions and reinstalled the kexts... the keyboard, mouse, and trackpad ps2s.

Still have no clue why this happened in the first place but hey... apple wrote osx =)

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

callymero -- Do not use voodoo PS/2, use instead Apple PS/2. The Voodoo PS/2 randomly not working with GX700 hardware, i do not know why. Try this: shutdown and remove the laptop battery for 10-20 seconds then install again.

A little guide how to install Snow in this laptop with Windows 7 dual boot:

For dual OS make two partitions (or three in my case). First partition 60G FAT32 - for MAC, second partition 60G NTFS for Windows 7, third partition formatted NTFS for data.

- Install first Windows 7 in the second partition. Next insert Iatkos S3 V2 disk and choose ONLY this options:

- Bootloader -- AsereBLN v1.1.9

- Bootloader options - Ethernet

- Patches - /Extra directory

- fakesmc

- Disabler

- RTC

- EVO reboot

- Sleep Enabler

- Laptop Hardware - Battery, Card Reader and TSC Sync

- NTFS-3G - Both (You can remove later and install Paragon NTFS)

- Drivers -- SATA/IDE - AHCI SATA

- Intel SATA/IDE

- JMicron SATA/IDE

-- PS/2 - Apple PS/2

-- VGA - NVEnabler

When the installation is finished you can update the system but you have to remove first the Sleep Enabler.

Update from Software Update, reboot and you have a working 10.6.4 Snow.

Now have to dowload and install:

-- CPU Power Management -- Latest Voodoo Power Mini

-- Sound -- Latest Voodoo HDA

-- Sleep -- search Insanely Mac forum for Sleep Enabler patched for 10.6.4.

If you have problems with the USB download and install [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] from tonymacx86 blog and choose only the USB patch from advanced options.

Best regards

P.S All credits go to this community and to respective creators/makers and teams who make this possible.