Retail DVD 10.5.6 install for Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L

lensboard

410 posts in this topic

Because like I said above, the baddelini fdisk fix you posted the link to only seems to work for mbr. You yourself said two posts above that "guid or mbr it shouldn't matter", but it seems like it does.

You are right that is what I said, I haven't used MBR, so I had no reason to think that it would not work. The other reply regarding fdisk was to help with your current install, not a new install.

You should have no problems if you duplicate the original guide. Hope this works for you.

That's the thing since I bought the second drive I wiped everything and duplicated the guide to the letter except that I had to use iatkos instead of kalyway for the initial non-retail install.

I didn't even type anything into terminal, I litterally pasted the text you had written in instead. I only used what was in the folder I downloaded from you and used plistedit pro to add the text after <string></string> and eveything. When I get to the part where I'm supposed to reboot into the new partition is where it grinds to a halt, I can't boot into it, I'm completely stuck. I can enter my iatkos install no problem but I can't boot my retail install off the second disk like you did.

That's the thing since I bought the second drive I wiped everything and duplicated the guide to the letter except that I had to use iatkos instead of kalyway for the initial non-retail install.

I didn't even type anything into terminal, I litterally pasted the text you had written in instead. I only used what was in the folder I downloaded from you and used plistedit pro to add the text after <string></string> and eveything. When I get to the part where I'm supposed to reboot into the new partition is where it grinds to a halt, I can't boot into it, I'm completely stuck. I can enter my iatkos install no problem but I can't boot my retail install off the second disk like you did.

Something is wrong or being missed. I am building another system identical tomorrow, I will follow my own guide and see.

Maybe just stick with kaly or atikos for now.

Make sure you are using your volume name when you run the script. Also, try LS8's guide.

Something is wrong or being missed. I am building another system identical tomorrow, I will follow my own guide and see.

Please let me know how it goes and if there's any detail you may have left out of the guide, or have improved upon.

Maybe just stick with kaly or atikos for now.

I will, but it would be sweet if I could have a retail install, I bought the disk just for this guide.

Make sure you are using your volume name when you run the script.

I'm using my own volume name and everything every time the guide prompt's me, I can follow all the steps and install no problem, I just can't boot. Hopefully something you come across will help me, thanks for your patience so far.

Also, try LS8's guide.

btw: ls8's guide is for the GA-P35-DS4, you think that'll work for the GA-EP45-DS3L?

I have a EP45-DS3L and I was able to get ls8's guide here (http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=77165) working pretty easily even though that guide says it's for P35-DS4. Installed using a 10.5 retail DVD, upgraded to 10.5.5 with the combo updater, and then added audio and graphics by searching here for drivers. The hardest thing for me was generating a working EFI string for my nVidia 9400 GT, which isn't supported by EFIStudio.

Please let me know how it goes and if there's any detail you may have left out of the guide, or have improved upon.

I will, but it would be sweet if I could have a retail install, I bought the disk just for this guide.

I'm using my own volume name and everything every time the guide prompt's me, I can follow all the steps and install no problem, I just can't boot. Hopefully something you come across will help me, thanks for your patience so far.

btw: ls8's guide is for the GA-P35-DS4, you think that'll work for the GA-EP45-DS3L?

I will let you know how the build and install goes, that should happen today.

I just rebuilt the same exact identical machine again (I gave the first one to my daughter).

I followed my guide to the letter, and had no problems.

Make sure you are choosing the correct partition for chameleon, you should click the change location button or whatever to make sure. Also, make sure you are choosing the correct drive in the bios to boot from. Other than that, I don't know what your problem might be.

Lensboard, I'm back (posted earlier in this thread). Thank you very much for your time in putting this together and I am proud to say that I now have success, but not without stumbling blocks. I will summarize some of my issues for others to be aware of and I have a few questions for you.

I could not get past the step "Reboot to the new install partition" I woudl reboot with 2 drives in the computer and Darwin would show the new Macintosh drive blank and the Kalyway temporary drive good. I would get the not an OS disk error. I was very frustrated. I tried the Boot Magic that you recommended, couldn't even get it to boot up. It would seek to boot from CD and freeze. So I reset BIOS to basic settings and disabled AHCI and that was the trick, apparently that has to be disabled in order to access the BootCD. Ran several MBR tools as well as Boot Magic. I couldn't even install Windows without a blue screen hard drive failure message. After using the BootCD I was able to install Windows. I then went back to your guide, did it again, tried the "Reboot to the new install partition" and it failed again. Ugh! So I turn off AHCI, run Boot Magic again, set Partition Active, reboot and somehow a little elf sprinkled some fairy dust and now miraculously all is well. I couldn't be happier that the project was a success.

The other outstanding issue is the video card. I swapped out my newly purchased card in my signature (9800 GT) for one in another PC that was supported by EFI (8800 GTS). I will now play around with using the 9800 GTX string with my 9800 GT. Hopefully they will be compatible.

Again thank you for everything.

Now I have two questions:

- I am experiencing a slight pop when my sound kicks in. Do you experience that? I see other codec optiosn but haven't played around with them. Have you tried others and found success?

- The slim Apple keyboard I bought is having trouble. The Home and End keys are somehow not mapped. Honestly, I haven't looked that up yet, but any quick advice there?

Lensboard, I'm back (posted earlier in this thread). Thank you very much for your time in putting this together and I am proud to say that I now have success, but not without stumbling blocks. I will summarize some of my issues for others to be aware of and I have a few questions for you.

Set your bios setting correctly...see the photos

I am not sure what the hang up with getting past "boot into your new install" is? I just built another machine (same exact one) on wednesday, and it worked perfectly the first time. I ran chameleon (on the correct partition), rebooted, set my new drive to boot first, hit enter, and -x, and bang, there was osx!

Yes the pop is the same here, that is why I offer an alternate audio install. On my machine with bose speakers, the pop is barely audible, so it doesn't bother me. Once the sound comes on, it doesn't do it all the time anyway. My daughter has cheap speakers on hers, and it doesn't bother her either. I didn't tell her about it, and she hasn't complained. I plan on installing linux to do a codec dump on my exact machine in the hopes of improving the sound.

Keyboard issue sounds like a mapping issue. Try googling "remap keyboard osx" be careful though, the software "double command" causes kernel panics in leopard.

Your video card is probably solveable, just search a little bit.

On my first try here are the google results: Google search for 9800 GT only on this site

overall, hope you are having fun, and be glad to help whenever I can

I have a new GA-EP45-UD3P board. This is to replace an old Dell machine I have been using for the past few months with a 10.5.2 Kalyway installation.

I have installed a new Kalyway installation on a clean disk in my machine.

I am using an image of the DVDs provided with a MacBook running 10.5. Are these the same as a retail DVD?

When I execute the command 'open OSInstall.mpkg' I am told that 'OS X Cannot be instaled on this machine'!

Am I correct in assuming that OEM discs are not good enough, and I need RETAIL ones?

Thanks, George

Congrats Lensboard.

Im currently struggling with getting QE/CI to work with the same GFX card as yours (mine is Sparkle 8800GT 512mb).

I can install the OS just fine. 10.5.5 (9F33).

Is there an "newbie" solution to fix it ? or do I need to be an X11 programmer ?

I have yet to see a step by step guide that actually works for my card (tried a couple guides, but it let me nowhere).

Congrats Lensboard.

Im currently struggling with getting QE/CI to work with the same GFX card as yours (mine is Sparkle 8800GT 512mb).

I can install the OS just fine. 10.5.5 (9F33).

Is there an "newbie" solution to fix it ? or do I need to be an X11 programmer ?

I have yet to see a step by step guide that actually works for my card (tried a couple guides, but it let me nowhere).

I know you want an answer, and I would love to help, but if you get the screen rez, but not QE/CI, then I would suggest just getting a card that works. I know that is not the answer you wanted, but probably the best answer. Or try googling around a bit.

sorry couldnt help

I have a new GA-EP45-UD3P board. This is to replace an old Dell machine I have been using for the past few months with a 10.5.2 Kalyway installation.

I have installed a new Kalyway installation on a clean disk in my machine.

I am using an image of the DVDs provided with a MacBook running 10.5. Are these the same as a retail DVD?

When I execute the command 'open OSInstall.mpkg' I am told that 'OS X Cannot be instaled on this machine'!

Am I correct in assuming that OEM discs are not good enough, and I need RETAIL ones?

Thanks, George

sounds like a good assumption, I have never had a problem with a retail disk

Hi,

I have the same board - running 10.5.4, essentially flawlessly.

I have a question about your Firewire speeds:

Can you run a benchmark test (xbench) and see what your read/write throughput numbers are?

Though I've had no issues with any of the FW cards I've put into the system, I haven't been able to get the best throughput speeds possible. Essentially, with the best one thus far (startech) FW400 runs at 200 speed and FW800 runs at 400 speed.

I'd be very curious to know if your install took care of this.

THANKS!

S

• 2 weeks later...

* Edit I: I was able to get the IDE drive recognized by enabling "Onboard IDE controller". You can see that option in this image I'm not totally sure what this (if anything) will do to the tutorial, but I'll be posting more here as I fight with installing Vista.

** Edit II: Well, I had to unplug both of my SATA drives, because when I tried to install Vista on the IDE drive it would give me the "Windows is unable to find a system volume that meets its criteria for installation" error, even though I know it was formatted correctly. So, I'm installing vista now and I'll post with new updates here.

*** Edit III: Have Vista installed and running now. Just doing some driver updates and all that. Hope to use EasyBCD to get it running easily for both OS's. Any issues/successes will be posted.

Let me first say lensboard, this guide is a Godsend. I went through some issues with it, but it all worked out in the end and I learned a lot. So, thanks for putting this together.

Now that I have a working system, of course I want more, and here's what I want to do: I want to install windows xp (or vista, have discs for both) on a separate IDE hard drive.

The problem with this is that my IDE drive is not showing up after following your guide. I know that this drive is in fine condition, because I have installed other methods of 10.5.5 and I was able to see it's contents and move them to other drives.

I've done a lot of research on this issue, but I haven't found any answers. Do you have any idea what may be causing my mobo not to recognize my IDE HDD? (I've done all the obvious stuff like make sure it was getting power, swap cords, and all that. One other weird thing, is that my bios isn't recognizing the drive when I start it up (at least from what I can tell)).

Your help is GREATLY appreciated here. Have a great day :)

My System for Reference:

Mobo: GIGABYTE GA-EP45-DS3L

Video Card: GeForce 8800GT 512MB

CPU: Intel 2 Quad Q6600

RAM: CORSAIR 4G (2 x 2G) x2

HDD: Seagate Barracude 7200.11 500GB x2 + 80GB WD IDE

DVD: LITE-ON 20x DVD+/-R

PS: Rosewill 600W

The problem with this is that my IDE drive is not showing up after following your guide. I know that this drive is in fine condition, because I have installed other methods of 10.5.5 and I was able to see it's contents and move them to other drives.

I've done a lot of research on this issue, but I haven't found any answers. Do you have any idea what may be causing my mobo not to recognize my IDE HDD? (I've done all the obvious stuff like make sure it was getting power, swap cords, and all that. One other weird thing, is that my bios isn't recognizing the drive when I start it up (at least from what I can tell)).

I run XP, Linux, and Vista all on the same machine. You need to disable AHCI. Just save the setup to your bios, and flip back and forth when booting (using the F12 key once in the BIOS setup screen.

Did anybody try update to 10.5.6 ?

Not yet, dont really have the time, but I will soon. No hurry for me.

I know you want an answer, and I would love to help, but if you get the screen rez, but not QE/CI, then I would suggest just getting a card that works. I know that is not the answer you wanted, but probably the best answer. Or try googling around a bit.

sorry couldnt help

sounds like a good assumption, I have never had a problem with a retail disk

The OEM Disks have a hardware check.. you cant even use a iMac DVD set on a Mac Pro ...

Did anybody try update to 10.5.6 ?

i tried this update, and it locked up halfway through and then i couldn't boot. I don't think its 10.5.6, because i tried another upgrade (kalway 10.5.2 to 10.5.3) on this board and the same thing happened.

Retail DVD installs but LAN detects, but doesn't obtain an IP; the MAC address it sees is correct for the hardwareg. Kalway detects LAN and it works. any idea why?

i tried this update, and it locked up halfway through and then i couldn't boot. I don't think its 10.5.6, because i tried another upgrade (kalway 10.5.2 to 10.5.3) on this board and the same thing happened.

Retail DVD installs but LAN detects, but doesn't obtain an IP; the MAC address it sees is correct for the hardwareg. Kalway detects LAN and it works. any idea why?

run 10.5.6 combo updater full DL from Apple from another disk, with the target OS as the installation. Then run the script that installs the kexts (included in the guide's download, and reinstalled sound). worked for me, but I am not using it day to day yet. I also used the new chameleon, worked fine. Try it and let us know. I have a disk that is running 10.5.6 perfectly but not in everyday use yet.

OK, I need help. I botched the 10.5.6 update and am now locked out. I am very upset too because theis was the last and final finishing touch to declare the project complete. I had just imported my old mail and address book and font setup. Really upset at the moment.

Here's what I did.

I had 10.5.5 working great using this guide. Had to re-install the networking kext to get Time Machine to work, but otherwise it was 100% this guide.

I downloaded the PCWiz DSDT Patcher GUI and ran the patch. Maybe this was the error or maybe unnecessary.

I used the files in the Tools folder to update Chameleon.

I downloaded the 10.5.6 update from Apple's website.

I rebooted to be sure the current changes did not cause any problems.

I mounted the Update from the same drive I was updating. Maybe that was also an error but I did it.

The Installation began and then froze at 62%. Plus the top 10% of the screen had dimmed to like a 25% transparency. Mouse froze. Everything froze. Stomach in knots.

Forced reboot with the button on the PC and then greated with system boot up error.

Ran Darwin and "-v" and am told the Panic occurred from com.apple.driver.AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement(59.0.1)

Ran Darwin in "-s" and I got to a /root prompt and above it said "If you want to make modifications to files: /sbin/fsck -fy and next line says /sbin/mount -uw /

FYI. I have a second hard drive that was my Time Machine drive. I am hoping that if my setup is botched, that I can somehow reinstall 10.5.5 and then restore from Time Machine. Please please please.

I am desperately seeking help on what to do. Here are my thoughts:

1. Somehow use the "-s" mode to make modifications and maybe with a USB drive copy over a new AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement kext. I don't know if that's possible at all. Is there any way to use an Apple retail DVD to boot the computer and again somehow restore a good file?

2. Do a full re-install of the OS from this guide to 10.5.5. Then maybe I can use the second hard drive with the Time Machine backup to restore the old computer to exactly as it was and pretend this never happened. Then if I have confidence that I can accomplish the restore, I can try the 10.5.6 update again.

I have never used Time Machine to do a full "system" restore. Is that even possible or does it only restore data files, etc.

Thank you to everyone in advance for your help and hopefully others will learn what happened to me and avoid my mistakes.

Update: So I booted up with my Kalyway 10.5.2. I was not able to do a Restore from my second hard drive. It saw the backup folder but just showed as blank.

I opened Terminal and got to this installation guide on the main drive. I tried to run the ep45-post-patch.sh per the instructions thinking that maybe it can overwrite the "bad" files with the good ones. I got several sudo errors but it did say Vanilla AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement removed. Can I do a copy and paste somehow through the Terminal window to overwrite the System version of AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement?

Update2: So I booted into iDeneb 10.5.5. I was trying the restore wrong. I went into Disk Utility and then the Restore tab. I read to use the Time Machine restore option. Successfully completed the restore after 1 hour. But alas, still not back to normal as I cannot boot up. I get

boot0: GPT

boot0: HFS+

boot0: error

and I'm stuck.

I used the Hiren BootCD and ran Boot Magic selecting the correct drive, but it looked like it was set up correctly and did not fix anything.

Hi, I am following your guide and it makes a lot of sense to me. I am however stuck at rebooting into new partition with -x option.

I am using GA-EP45-DS3LR. I know that it has ICH10R instead of ICH10. Do you think it makes a difference?

Regards,

Switcher007

be more specific with where you are and what is on your screen.

Following this guide to-the-letter I come up with the same problem as during short-cutting based on previous knowledge.

During Retail OSX install I get error message: "Install failed. Unable to verify BSD." Is this normal?

Then I run 10.5.5 update and everything seems great.

I run Chameleon. Everything seems great.

I reboot and I get HFS error and total loss but only after one attempted and failed boot.

Boot up shows Gray Apple and spinning gearwheel. Then a blue (gray-blue) screen with mouse cursor. Then mouse freezes. After 1 to 20 minutes I resort to a reset (from front of 'puter) and next boot will POST and even allow boot menu, but during drive verify I get DOS message says HFS error, or worse DOS will freeze.

With multiple drives I will usually lose both drives And have to install Kaly all over to get anything.

BTW: Kaly works great. No audio. Even after installing ALC888 via AppleHDAPatcher and also installing HDAEnabler and AppleHDA via KextHelper b7

Previous Macs include 1984 Macintosh, and every processor up to Intel

Current Hacky

Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300

OCZ DDR2 2x1GB 1066

Sapphire ATi 2400

WD6400 HD

Sony BD-rom, DVD+-R