Retail DVD 10.5.6 install for Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L

lensboard

410 posts in this topic

Lensboard thanks again for the guide, I bought this board after reading it but I'm having some problems. I type: exactly as it appears in your guide and Terminal says "no such file or directory" I've tried typing it a number of different ways and I'm really stuck. Please help!

Try step-by-step:

In terminal: cd /Volumes (Enter)

ls (Enter) - and you should see something like Mac OS X Install DVD in my and lensboard case. And so on, so on... I've installd Leo from old 10.5 release.

Luck !

Thanks for your continued assistance guys but I'm having a bad time with this and I'm just about ready to rip my hair out. I'm not a noob (but I am new at this whole hackintosh thing) and I followed your guide to the letter lensboard (except for the fact that I'm trying to install to a partition on the same drive, I only have the one hard drive), edited com.apple.Boot.plist the way you said and got up the part when I'm supposed to restart. When I restart I get this:

Verifying DMI Pool Data.....(that message is normal)

boot0: MBR

boot0: done

Non-system disk

Press any key to reboot

(I press any key then I get)

DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER

The strange thing is for the initial installation I had to install iatkos 4i 10.5.4 because neither kalyway 10.5.1 or 10.5.2 would work for me for some reason. Where it gets stranger is when I get the above messages at startup if I put in the iatkos disk it merely wants me to install iatkos, but if when I get that message I put in the kalyway 10.5.2 disk and press nothing at startup it takes me back into the iatkos partition.

I did exactly what you said I installed a retail copy of 10.5.4 I bought 2 days ago just for this guide and did everything perfectly and got the right message every step of the way and now I'm stuck, I can't boot into that install and can't directing boot into the iatkos install without the kalyway disk in.

My components were bought for this specific build and are fairly standard. I've got:

GA-EP45-DS3L Mobo

2gigs 800mhz ram

shappire ati 2600xt 512mb

750gig sata drive

samsung (from the HCL) sata dvd burner

Please, please, please help me! I really hope this is a simple fix!

Thanks for your continued assistance guys but I'm having a bad time with this and I'm just about ready to rip my hair out. I'm not a noob (but I am new at this whole hackintosh thing) and I followed your guide to the letter lensboard (except for the fact that I'm trying to install to a partition on the same drive, I only have the one hard drive), edited com.apple.Boot.plist the way you said and got up the part when I'm supposed to restart. When I restart I get this:

Verifying DMI Pool Data.....(that message is normal)

boot0: MBR

boot0: done

Non-system disk

Press any key to reboot

(I press any key then I get)

DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER

The strange thing is for the initial installation I had to install iatkos 4i 10.5.4 because neither kalyway 10.5.1 or 10.5.2 would work for me for some reason. Where it gets stranger is when I get the above messages at startup if I put in the iatkos disk it merely wants me to install iatkos, but if when I get that message I put in the kalyway 10.5.2 disk and press nothing at startup it takes me back into the iatkos partition.

I did exactly what you said I installed a retail copy of 10.5.4 I bought 2 days ago just for this guide and did everything perfectly and got the right message every step of the way and now I'm stuck, I can't boot into that install and can't directing boot into the iatkos install without the kalyway disk in.

My components were bought for this specific build and are fairly standard. I've got:

GA-EP45-DS3L Mobo

2gigs 800mhz ram

shappire ati 2600xt 512mb

750gig sata drive

samsung (from the HCL) sata dvd burner

Please, please, please help me! I really hope this is a simple fix!

sounds like you need to set the partition active, and you may have a corrupt boot sector. Use Boot Magic on Hiren's Boot CD 8.4, you can google it. When you run boot magic it will ask you what partition to boot, and all should be fixed. You may have to re enable IDE for the Boot CD to work temporarily.

Lensboard thanks again for the guide, I bought this board after reading it but I'm having some problems. I type: exactly as it appears in your guide and Terminal says "no such file or directory" I've tried typing it a number of different ways and I'm really stuck. Please help!

it actually should be:

cd /Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ Install\ DVD/System/Installation/Packages (enter)

you have to literalize the spaces with a preceding backslash \

and the quickest way is to start typing your path out (case sensitive), then hit your Tab key to auto-finish typing out the rest of the path or filename that is there (barring similar names, in which case hitting tab twice will bring up a list of available choices)

so:

cd /V (tab) will give you /Volumes then /Mac\ (space)(tab) will give you /Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ Install\ DVD/ - then S (tab) (etc... etc...)

it actually should be:

cd /Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ Install\ DVD/System/Installation/Packages (enter)

you have to literalize the spaces with a preceding backslash \

and the quickest way is to start typing your path out (case sensitive), then hit your Tab key to auto-finish typing out the rest of the path or filename that is there (barring similar names, in which case hitting tab twice will bring up a list of available choices)

so:

cd /V (tab) will give you /Volumes then /Mac\ (space)(tab) will give you /Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ Install\ DVD/ - then S (tab) (etc... etc...)

Yeah, thanks I know about that, but I was trying to stay in the "easy to understand" area for this person as clearly they needed easy to understand help. Using quotes around the whole expression will help new comers. I used your method when I did it, I just figured it was to much to explain.

Thanks a lot for helping out, nice to know folks are willing to help here. ;)

sounds like you need to set the partition active, and you may have a corrupt boot sector. Use Boot Magic on Hiren's Boot CD 8.4, you can google it. When you run boot magic it will ask you what partition to boot, and all should be fixed. You may have to re enable IDE for the Boot CD to work temporarily.

I downloaded Hiren's bootcd but when I start up with the disk in and choose bootmagic it asks me about installing all kinds of stuff, I basically say yes to everything and the majority of the stuff it tries to install seems to fail, it then asks me about which usb drivers to install, I no idea what to do so I choose exit and then it tells me it can't find the folder and offers to try again. I googled the hell out of this thing and I cannot seem to find a guide anywhere of how to use Hiren's bootcd, the few things I did find, all showed people using it within windows which I don't even have installed.

I'm at a loss for words, I did everything right, I've got idea what's going on. Would this have been easier if I had 2 internal sata drives? Should I just cave and buy another? Could I potentially use an external drive instead? Maybe I should install windows on the third empty partition on this drive and install acronis?

I downloaded Hiren's bootcd but when I start up with the disk in and choose bootmagic it asks me about installing all kinds of stuff, I basically say yes to everything and the majority of the stuff it tries to install seems to fail, it then asks me about which usb drivers to install, I no idea what to do so I choose exit and then it tells me it can't find the folder and offers to try again. I googled the hell out of this thing and I cannot seem to find a guide anywhere of how to use Hiren's bootcd, the few things I did find, all showed people using it within windows which I don't even have installed.

I'm at a loss for words, I did everything right, I've got idea what's going on. Would this have been easier if I had 2 internal sata drives? Should I just cave and buy another? Could I potentially use an external drive instead? Maybe I should install windows on the third empty partition on this drive and install acronis?

sorry you have issues, boot magic does not install anything...??

there are many solutions to fixing the boot sector, I just gave you one. Sounds like all you gotta do is mark partition active, then boot it.... come on...solve this problem...you can do it. This is how we learn.

I would suggest getting some local help, or just installing another distro, or another hard drive, and start over.

Yeah I'm starting over right now, hopefully I can figure this out.

use another hard drive if boot sector work is causing you issues. That is all it is. (sounds like it anyway)

Yeah I'm starting over right now, hopefully I can figure this out.

what bios version you have?

Thanks for posting your bios settings and all that. They weren't that different in the first place but I made mine identical to yours and tried again. I get the same system disk failure message. When I start up it says Serial ATA AHCI BIOS Version iSrc 1.07, so I think we're using the same bios.

At this point it looks like the only difference is that you've got 2 internal drives to my one, so I guess I'll just cave and pick up another internal sata drive tomorrow because I'm at my wit's end, I don't care what it'll take I've gotta find a way to make this work.

My question to you though is once I've got 2 drives and the retail install working, can I wipe the original non-retail install from the second drive without causing any problems to the system? Ideally I'd work off the retail install on the primary drive and have the second drive that used to have the modified install wiped and partitioned as Vista and FCP scratch.

Thanks for posting your bios settings and all that. They weren't that different in the first place but I made mine identical to yours and tried again. I get the same system disk failure message. When I start up it says Serial ATA AHCI BIOS Version iSrc 1.07, so I think we're using the same bios.

At this point it looks like the only difference is that you've got 2 internal drives to my one, so I guess I'll just cave and pick up another internal sata drive tomorrow because I'm at my wit's end, I don't care what it'll take I've gotta find a way to make this work.

ok, good luck. There is another person having similar issues..i think..

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=138677

I have heard of many successful installs, so maybe trying to install windows with sata enabled to see if it is your hardware or not.

ok, good luck. There is another person having similar issues..i think..

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=138677

I have heard of many successful installs, so maybe trying to install windows with sata enabled to see if it is your hardware or not.

Man reading that guy's post kinda scared me. Maybe bios iSrc 1.07 isn't the proper bios revision number? Where do you go to check the bios revision?

so maybe trying to install windows with sata enabled to see if it is your hardware or not.

I've installed windows vista with AHCI, and had no problems, after that I wiped off vista and started your guide.

If for some reason I'm not on the same bios rev as you how I do go back to an older bios?

Man reading that guy's post kinda scared me. Maybe bios iSrc 1.07 isn't the proper bios revision number? Where do you go to check the bios revision?

I've installed windows vista with AHCI, and had no problems, after that I wiped off vista and started your guide.

If for some reason I'm not on the same bios rev as you how I do go back to an older bios?

download from gigabyte, must install via windows. I am using bios F7

Awesome thanks for the info, I just picked up a 320gb drive that I'll use as my inital install and the 750 I've been using will be my retail os, when I get home tonight and try it based on all this new info hopefully it'll be the last time I've got to do this!

Awesome thanks for the info, I just picked up a 320gb drive that I'll use as my inital install and the 750 I've been using will be my retail os, when I get home tonight and try it based on all this new info hopefully it'll be the last time I've got to do this!

Good luck, hopefully it works for you.

This is for the: Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L (rev. 1.0) Bios version F7 Motherboard, I cannot verify this will work for any other board.

I can verify that it works 100% for my GA-P45C-DS3R board... Thank you!!!!!!!!!!! (I just used a different audio patch)

check this guy's solution, as it was setting the partition active, then done.

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=138611

Ok, so I just tried this guy's method and when using fdisk I get illegal option and then it lists me all the possible fdisk commands. It looks like -e is for MBR drives and as per your guide mine is formatted as GUID. I think that's why fdisk isn't working for me. In that list it shows none of the options mention GUID.

Is it possible to do the retail install to my second disk formatted as MBR instead of GUID, because I can't find a way to set this GUID disk as active.

And by the way I checked, I do indeed have bios F7 like you and I've got 2 internal sata HDs, I want to use my new 320gb as my retail install and I've got iatkos (which I'm using just until I've got the retail working) on my 750gb. It seems like nothing hardware wise is separating us, I'm at a complete loss as to why I can't boot my retail install.

Ok, so I just tried this guy's method and when using fdisk I get illegal option and then it lists me all the possible fdisk commands. It looks like -e is for MBR drives and as per your guide mine is formatted as GUID. I think that's why fdisk isn't working for me. In that list it shows none of the options mention GUID.

Is it possible to do the retail install to my second disk formatted as MBR instead of GUID, because I can't find a way to set this GUID disk as active.

And by the way I checked, I do indeed have bios F7 like you and I've got 2 internal sata HDs, I want to use my new 320gb as my retail install and I've got iatkos (which I'm using just until I've got the retail working) on my 750gb. It seems like nothing hardware wise is separating us, I'm at a complete loss as to why I can't boot my retail install.

cool, you should be ready to re install. MBR or Guid should be no prob.

cool, you should be ready to re install. MBR or Guid should be no prob.

Damn, it looks like it is a problem with a retail disk.

I get: You cannot install Mac OS X on this volume. To enable installation on this volume open Disk Utility from the Utilities menu and repartition this disk as 'GUID Partition Table'. Note: you will lose all data on this disk by repartitioning it.

Any suggestions?

Damn, it looks like it is a problem with a retail disk.

I get: You cannot install Mac OS X on this volume. To enable installation on this volume open Disk Utility from the Utilities menu and repartition this disk as 'GUID Partition Table'. Note: you will lose all data on this disk by repartitioning it.

Any suggestions?

Just use GUID. Why do you need MBR?