80 replies to this topic

snapcoyote

snapcoyote

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Thanks for reply,

I have tried to deleting Extensions.mkext and reboot...
Great that's working again ;) but when I reboot again... I lost wifi :(

Should I have delete Extensions.mkext each time to get wifi ?

Yes. Delete every time. That's the only workaround I know until a more permanent solution is found.

Gabo_c

Gabo_c

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts
Just a contribution for 10.5.6 install as usual....kexthelper , repair permission cross finger and restart ...and using kissmac cheat

Mr.Scorpio

Mr.Scorpio

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Thanks Alot, it works perfectly, I have iAtkos v5i Leopard 10.5.5 (Updated to 10.5.6) on my ( Compaq Presario c700 ) laptop "Don't remember the exact model but i think it's c707 :) ", here is the steps:

1. download your kext and installed it with OSX86Tools and restart.
2. install kismac trunk r319 and restart.
3. open kismac and add ( Airport Extreme Passive Mode ) and click scan.
4. when scanning start show networks stop it and exit kismac.
5. go to airport and select network and start your WiFi journey :D .

Note:
1. Wireless light not work (no blue light) but the wireless works fine.
2. Make sure the wifi turned on from another os (wireless button not work under mac os).
3. Dual-Boot is a must with this method because if you have just mac os installed and you turned the wireless button off accidentally you'll be in a big problem because you'll not be able to turn it on in mac :wacko: ... don't forget this.

Big thanks and appreciation to YOU & OLDMACLOVER "who discovered the method to use the kext" ... OLDMACLOVER Article

Bo Mill

Bo Mill

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Am I the only one with this problem?

So I followed your guide, and Kismac sees the network(s)... Even better, the built-in airport detects all three networks in my proximity (1 open, 2 WPA).

However, whenever I try to connect to any of these, it first says "connecting to network" and then "Connection timeout" or "Network timeout"

Any suggestions?

Edit: never mind, i got the open one working now somehow ;)

sotek11

sotek11

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Am I the only one with this problem?

So I followed your guide, and Kismac sees the network(s)... Even better, the built-in airport detects all three networks in my proximity (1 open, 2 WPA).

However, whenever I try to connect to any of these, it first says "connecting to network" and then "Connection timeout" or "Network timeout"

Any suggestions?

Edit: never mind, i got the open one working now somehow :)

Here is what I do to resolve the stability issue on my Acer 5570z using the Atheros 5007eg wireless and the previous steps in this guide to get the card recognized:

1. Scan for wireless networks with KisMac

2. Stop KisMac once it sees networks

4. Connect to the network of your choice

5. LOG OFF (do NOT reboot)

6. Log back on using the SAME id/name you were logged in with before

7. The wireless network you were connected to before should connect automatically and stay connected with no drops!

I've done this multiple times this week, and it works everytime! I've stayed connected for over 12 hours at a time with great connection signal/strength and speed! Not a true "solution", but for now it works! I also used the tape trick on pin 20 of the Atheros card (detailed on other posts), so I don't need to boot into another OS first. The card always has power, and you don't have to worry about kill switch!!!

JD Belec

JD Belec

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
sotek11, I got two questions for you.

1) Can you post a diagram about where you tape the pin on the card? I can't seem to find it.

2) Do you get any KP's while booting with this method?

Thanks

sotek11

sotek11

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

sotek11, I got two questions for you.
1) Can you post a diagram about where you tape the pin on the card? I can't seem to find it.

2) Do you get any KP's while booting with this method?
Thanks

Pin 20 on my card was different from the pic that someone posted of theirs. It does appear that at least 1 pin has a marking on it (on mine, pin 5 was labeled as J5). I then just counted the pins (front and back, as the odd number pins were on the side that pin 5 was on, pin 20 was on the opposite side of the card from pin 5). The odd number pins will be on the top of the card (you should see the connectors for the antennae wires).

I then cut a piece of electrical tape with an xacto knife, stuck it on so it only covered pin 20 (carefully trimmed off excess tape) and stuck it back in.

Here is a card similar to mine:
Attached File  Hardware_Atheros_5007EG.jpg   31.26KB   272 downloads
I got a KP a couple of times, so I rebooted, when into single user mode (hit enter at boot, type -s), then did /sbin/fsck -fy and then /sbin/mount -uw / , then rebooted.
Once I was able to get back in, I launched disk utilities and repaired the permissions from there. I haven't had a KP for a couple of days now.

more_tacos

more_tacos

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Anyone have this working on a Samsung NC10 under 10.5.6 retail DVD installation? I have replaced the IO80211Family.kext and changed the WLAN card to en1. Airport card shows up now which is a big improvement. KisMAC just scans forever and never reports anything. The kernel kicks out "unable to reset channel" while KisMac runs.

I hate to strip every screw on my new Samsung to replace the card.

If anyone knows where the source for this effort can be found, please let me know.

Sean FEd

Sean FEd

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
Does anyone know if this will work with a atheros ar242x wifi chipset?

Darkanzali

Darkanzali

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Sean FEd
No. Airport works, but cant find networks.
KisMac too.

cartri

cartri

Just a Cone

• Donators
  • 407 posts

Hello. I was comparing linux drivers for AR5006 and AR5007EG. Then I applied the same changes to AirportAtheros. I changed:
-Removed card revision check
-Replaced RfBanks and registry tables
-Changed default radio revision
-Modified channel changing routine
-Never reset PCI Express-core fix
-Removed EEPROM size check
With this fixes driver now loads, I have Airport icon but no scanning or associating.

since airport aint scanning by itself and since people who rebrands their cards can work directly without mods AND WITHOUT KISMAC, i guess that maybe the actual way the thing are being made is not ideal, by the kind of errors syslog tell us (like it cant reset channel, or cant perform scan) i guess that we would needa less modified kext that only bypasses the revision and eeprom checks.
Aditionally it would be reeally better to have various kexts with different modifications...
From the things changed in the list maybe replacing Rfbanks , adding never reset and and MODIFIED CHANNEL CHANGING ROUTINES could be causing problems in mac OS that it wouldnt cause on linux.

Im just being hipotetic on this, not affirming.

I only see the kind of problems the actual way of modifications causes on the debug files and that it does not occur to people who has rebranded cards with original kexts (who uses the natural apple way to change channels and reset hardware)

Could it be possible to make differente versions only for betatesting? I guess maybe a kext with only the check bypasses and all the normal way of work of the default airport kexts (wich are already natrally made for 168c 001c) could work!

sorry about the terrible english :unsure:
waiting for answers

mackerintel

mackerintel

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts

since airport aint scanning by itself and since people who rebrands their cards can work directly without mods AND WITHOUT KISMAC, i guess that maybe the actual way the thing are being made is not ideal, by the kind of errors syslog tell us (like it cant reset channel, or cant perform scan) i guess that we would needa less modified kext that only bypasses the revision and eeprom checks.
Aditionally it would be reeally better to have various kexts with different modifications...
From the things changed in the list maybe replacing Rfbanks , adding never reset and and MODIFIED CHANNEL CHANGING ROUTINES could be causing problems in mac OS that it wouldnt cause on linux.

Im just being hipotetic on this, not affirming.

I only see the kind of problems the actual way of modifications causes on the debug files and that it does not occur to people who has rebranded cards with original kexts (who uses the natural apple way to change channels and reset hardware)

Could it be possible to make differente versions only for betatesting? I guess maybe a kext with only the check bypasses and all the normal way of work of the default airport kexts (wich are already natrally made for 168c 001c) could work!

sorry about the terrible english :)
waiting for answers

Probably you confuse two similar cards: AR5006 and AR5007. AFAIK the first one can be rebranded whereas the second can't. About just bypassing the checks it was the first thing I changed nad it failed then with another error (I/O error if I remember correctly). Making different versions would take a huge amount of time which unfortunately is a scarce resource for me now. What I could do is to release all the intermediary binaries I had. But I fear it would add even more confusion. As whole AR5007 never worked and if you want to continue the work and need the source just use otool -t -v: it's the only source I ever had. I could also release the code I used to inject additional data in sections but this code is ugly and unreadable. Now I happily use AR5008 which needs no modifications, is recognised as Airport, works under all OSes supporting wireless and has opensource drivers. So I would recommend to buy AR5008. AR5007 is somewhat a dead end. I don't say it's impossible but you need to spend a lot of time to make it work. Last sentence may however reveal to be wrong

Prasys

Prasys

Cheese Cheese cheese

• Retired Developers
  • 338 posts
Anyway nice guide and cheers for putting up a good work on the kext

Just want to add a note - AR5006EXS (Super AG+) doesn't work with OSX at all. All it throws are HAL error 3. This card isn't supported. However the one without A works well under OSX !

milan475

milan475

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

Hello. I was comparing linux drivers for AR5006 and AR5007EG. Then I applied the same changes to AirportAtheros. I changed:
-Removed card revision check
-Replaced RfBanks and registry tables
-Changed default radio revision
-Modified channel changing routine
-Never reset PCI Express-core fix
-Removed EEPROM size check
With this fixes driver now loads, I have Airport icon but no scanning or associating. But my card also bugs under linux. So it's possible it has some defect or is buggy. Additionally for me 802.11a would represent some advantages so tomorrow I go to the local stor to buy AR5008E-based abgn card (they work very well according to reports). So I post this work as is and probably won't continue it. But if someone is interested he can continue it.
P.S. @developpers: I wrote a helper application that allows to add data to __DATA__ section. It's ugly but if it could be useful for you say it here.

How did you make changes to the AirportAtheros.kext, because it closed source as fair as i know

mackerintel

mackerintel

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts

How did you make changes to the AirportAtheros.kext, because it closed source as fair as i know

disassembler and binary patching

cartri

cartri

Just a Cone

• Donators
  • 407 posts
Could someone post an commented source or a basic guide so other people could work on this? Are these teh same methods of the 5005G (i know, different cards) ?
Even if so, id love to read some type of guide or commented source so other ideas could be tested.
:D :(

EDIT: Could you also make a patched version from 10.5.7 IO80211Family and its plugins?
QUESTION: I use a 5005G on a desktop, and the 5007EG on a Acer Laptop, the same kext would work on both?

EDIT2: Have already seen other drivers for atheros cards? i found 2, but they seem tiger-only:
http://wirelessdriver.sourceforge.net/
and the famous orangeware driver:
http://www.orangewar...lessformac.html
These links could help somehow on how they did it work? (Sorry i dont even know if they work on the 5007, but they could be a base for a new external kext couldnt?)

EDIT3: what the hell is hal status 67? (the error most people get on non-working kismacs: unable to reset hardware; hal status 67). I already searched for definitions of that everywhere with no success, even on the ah.h file from various revisions of linux drivrs. I guess that all the problems we have has to do with correctly reseting the hardware and the ath channels, may it be connected to the "never reset" mentioned in this thread? sorry about my english.

Kane777

Kane777

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

OK here is my attempt at a guide:

First, make sure the card is on in another OS and restart. Those of you hoping to not have to dual boot are out of luck right now.

1. Starting from 10.5.5 and a vanilla kernel.

2. Download and install the Airport Update 2008-004. Reboot.

3. Download and install the IO8211Family.kext at the beginning of this thread with Kexthelper unless you feel like doing all of the prermission repairs and stuff.

4. Download and install Kismac trunk r319.

5. Reboot. You have a 40% chance of getting a boot without a kernel panic. Just retry, it will eventually reboot fine.

6. Open Kismac before you do anything. Go to prefererences and find the tab for drivers. Add the Airport Extreme Passive mode one. Active mode does not work. Exit that menu and then click start scan. You will start to see networks. Once you see networks quit Kismac.

7. Now go the airport icon in the top bar and click on Join Other Network. (if the icon is not there you need to go to network preferences and enable the icon.) Then click on show networks. Your network will come up. Click on it, click join and then it will ask you for your network password. Enter that and then it will connect to your network and be stable. You will have to set up a network in the networking preference panel for the airport card just like normal.

On my Presario C771 the WIFI lights are not on blue but the card still works.

When you restart you will sometimes get a kernel error. Just try again. When you restart you will only have to do steps 6 and 7 and will not have to reenter you network password if you put it in your keychain when prompted.

It works everytime I boot now as long as the hardware button on the notebook is not pressed. The network stays on all the time and is fast.

This worked for me!!! I can't believe it people! It really works! I am on an ACER Aspire one a150 with the "dreaded"ORIGINAL STOCK ATHEROS wireless card!

I installed OSX with IPC UNIVERSAL OSX86 Final,

And yes I included the atheros wireless on Install. but that just showed me that i had a wireless card and would scan but not show ANY available networks.

I tried this tutorial and worked like a charm AND I am connected via WPA!!!! not WEP!!!

This worked for me!!! I can't believe it people! It really works! I am on an ACER Aspire one a150 with the "dreaded"ORIGINAL STOCK ATHEROS wireless card!

I installed OSX with IPC UNIVERSAL OSX86 Final,

And yes I included the atheros wireless on Install. but that just showed me that i had a wireless card and would scan but not show ANY available networks.

I tried this tutorial and worked like a charm AND I am connected via WPA!!!! not WEP!!!

Just for you Aspire One A150 people,

I installed with Voodoo Kernal NOT Vanila!!!

Voodoo is better for the ATOM because it takes advantage of the Hyperthreading!!

Basically Hyperthreading is kind of like having a dual core versus Single Core!!!

And YES!!! My Atheros Card is still working!!! Just downloaded Firefox and in network settings of FIREFOX i picked auto-detect proxy settings for this Networked and works great as well!!!

RootVik

RootVik

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
samsung r58plus
Air Card atheros AR5007EG
do not work for mac os x leopard 10.5.6
hellp ;)

bryan51

bryan51

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts
Hmm ... I got it working once but it caused a kernel panic ( i think i forgot to close kismac in all the excitement!! ) .
Now I cannot get it working again. I have the AR5007EG by the way.

I thought about taping pin20 but have no idea where the wifi card is on my Toshiba P200-RT108C lappy.
I looked at the manual and it doesn't mention its placement and googling hasn't turned up anything.

Can anyone help on this front ...coz even if i buy a replacement i need to know where/how to do it ..

thx

rhanu

rhanu

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
also trying hard to get that card working

running ipc 10.5.6

tried pretty much everything i found here @ the forum
pretty much everything screwed my hackintosh up

last try was that (http://www.insanelym...dpost&p=1051305) kext file

still everything is working fine not finding any networks with kismac though or no network is shown (@ settings -> networks)

would be really awesome if anyone could help me
i'm totally desperate about my wlan

thanks a lot

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy